Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sataere posted:

New conspiracy theory. Rodgers wants to go to the Jets just to spite Favre.

Jets for one year and then to the Vikings, but winning the Superbowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Can't wait for Jimmy G to play for a team not coached by Shanahan or Belichick. Predicting 2700 yards, 17 TD, 14 ints.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

mcmagic posted:

Why does him going to the Jets spite Favre?

Because if he goes there and wins more games, he's better than Favre! He just seems like that kind of guy.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kind of funny all this work effort crap when you look at the stats and they are about the same but Rodgers WR core being much worse.

The running game was better however but that also seems to be partly on Brady as well

Rodgers clearly wasn't on the same page as his receivers in important moments during the year and it lead to a lot of issues. He also reported to camp "soft and flabby" and it was mentioned time and time again he made no effort to develop chemistry outside of camp. The results were pretty plain to see. Besides that point at the same age Brady was league MVP, first team all pro, had the 2nd best scoring offense in the NFL and took his team to 13-3 and a super bowl berth.

Of course Rodgers work ethic is good compared to the average person. But we're talking about the elite of the elite and he clearly didn't prepare in an elite way last year. It's not a long bow to draw to be concerned about it if you're trading for him. A change of scenery might push him to get back to his former form, but he might also not give a gently caress a just be happy to run out a contract and take the cheque.

Rodgers at his best was probably the best pure passing QB we've ever seen or could ever see. Doesn't mean he didn't take a big step backwards last year. The team didn't do him any favors for sure, but he didn't do everything he could to put himself in position to succeed and at the NFL level you need to.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

rodgers is a lot better than favre as a player and person. as far as indisputable facts go that's pretty nyuts

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cavauro posted:

rodgers is a lot better than favre as a player and person. as far as indisputable facts go that's pretty nyuts

give rodgers a few more years to cook

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Do we know if Aaron owns a pair of crocs?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Rodgers had said a lot of dumbass poo poo but hasn’t committed welfare fraud on a massive scale to my knowledge so I guess at this stage of things he’s doing better than Favre.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Rodgers had said a lot of dumbass poo poo but hasn’t committed welfare fraud on a massive scale to my knowledge so I guess at this stage of things he’s doing better than Favre.

he hasn't retired yet, i believe rodgers has a massive crypto scam in him or psychadelic fyre fest disaster in him

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Rodgers is a mediocre system qb who had to be carried to a title by his #1 defense and even then only won the nfc because the bears were his opponent

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

mastershakeman posted:

Rodgers is a mediocre system qb who had to be carried to a title by his #1 defense and even then only won the nfc because the bears were his opponent

That game loving owned.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
A psychedelic science conference called Psychedelic Science man they loving NAILED that name

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I hope all the Green Bay fans who want their good qb traded get to experience what it’s like to be a franchise without a good qb.

Instead of the thirty years of good QBs they’ve had

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I hope all the Green Bay fans who want their good qb traded get to experience what it’s like to be a franchise without a good qb.

Lamar Jackson is going to look good in green and yellow.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I have been quietly chuckling at the "I would simply follow up my great QB with with another great QB" takes from GB and Baltimore fans. Also SA2K but he knew what he was doing. Several fanbases are on the brink of loving around and finding out

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Docjowles posted:

I have been quietly chuckling at the "I would simply follow up my great QB with with another great QB" takes from GB and Baltimore fans. Also SA2K but he knew what he was doing. Several fanbases are on the brink of loving around and finding out

I take nothing for granted and am thankful every day

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

if I was a fan of the team with a perpetually cranky 40 year old franchise QB I'd be pretty willing to find out the value of the Jordan Love mystery box at this point

if I was a fan of the team with a 26 year old franchise QB that just needed to be paid to be happy to be there, I'd find voluntarily re-entering the QB wilderness to be a very silly idea

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

My soccer fandom has prepared me for cheering on shite sports teams, it's fine.

Moving on from a HOF QB is a huge risk, but when that QB appears to be on the decline it's a smaller risk. At least doing it now we get to see if Love is the answer or not (probably not?) rather than have him leave without any extended starts and still needing to replace Rodgers next year, or the year after when he retires.

Obviously Rodgers could shock and play 4 more years and be back to his best while Jordan Love is mediocre or worse, but I really don't think trading him now is a terrible decision, albeit not without some risk. Just because Tom Brady can go on until he's 45 doesn't make that the new norm for quarterbacks.

Probably some of it is that some of us are still suffering psychological damage from the 5 or so years of Favre will they won't they nonsense and just wanting to rip the bandaid off, and just accepting the risks of it blowing up in your face. Spoiled? Yeah, probably a bit.

Don't think you can really compare Rodgers with Jackson though. Lamar is in his prime.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Don't think you can really compare Rodgers with Jackson though. Lamar is in his prime.
While true and I love Lamar, Rodgers has multiple MVPs more recently than Lamar, has had a less extended decline in production, and has had fewer injuries and missed games than Lamar.

He is significantly older and does psychedelics though. And believes in chemtrails.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Docjowles posted:

Amen. Sometimes you know exactly what you had, though. :sigh:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I spent most of the 80's watching them SUCK and getting destroyed by the Bears on a regular basis under Lynn Dickey, it's scarred in my adolescent memories and was a horrible time to be a Packers fan especially as a child.

So yes I have very much appreciated the last 30 years but I'm cool with moving on. Some of the younger fans maybe not so much but oh well they get to experience the pain now LOL

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Nervous posted:

Lamar Jackson is going to look good in green and yellow.

I think with that cap hit even with trading Rodgers their team would be Lamar and 52 Saskatchewan Roughriders

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Yes! Yes! VIKES VIKES VIKES

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

That game loving owned.

for rodgers to win a title he needs to have cutler throw a pick six, then get crippled and replaced by caleb hanie who threw even more picks. rodgers truly is elite.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

for rodgers to win a title he needs to have cutler throw a pick six, then get crippled and replaced by caleb hanie who threw even more picks. rodgers truly is elite.

He still owns the Bears tho and that's what's really important

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

He still owns the Bears tho and that's what's really important

I hope one day A.A.Ron is wealthy enough to actually own the bears.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mark Murphy is basically begging Rodgers to hurry up and say yes.

https://twitter.com/schroederwbay/status/1634302465133760515?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

https://twitter.com/schroederwbay/status/1634299696091938816?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Why the hell did the sign him to a multi-year extension last year if they feel so strongly about it now?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Why the hell did the sign him to a multi-year extension last year if they feel so strongly about it now?

because 12 months ago he had just won his second MVP in a row and you don’t let a QB walk in that scenario if you can help it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They expected him to want to be there multiple years and not immediately do another Tom/Favre/Ben "will I or won't I" dance the instant the first year of the deal is done

I don't get why this is the controversial one some people are surprised by the reception of. Like...yall do remember how vocally, openly tired of this you were when it was Ben who was doing it with Tomlin? That was exactly as annoying!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Also they thought they were smart and would have a good team. Spoiler they are dumb and the team is bad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chris James 2 posted:

They expected him to want to be there multiple years and not immediately do another Tom/Favre/Ben "will I or won't I" dance the instant the first year of the deal is done
Ah ok that makes some sense, yeah.

Elephanthead posted:

Also they thought they were smart and would have a good team. Spoiler they are dumb and the team is bad.
I forget, did they fire their defensive coordinator?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ah ok that makes some sense, yeah.

No, but their defense wasn’t really the problem last year or this. It hasn’t been great and Packers fans constantly complain that they don’t perform to their talent level, but they’re middle of the road.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

No, Joe Barry's still there

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think I posted the DVOA numbers a page or so back. Their defensive ranks the last 6-7 years has generally been in the 20s. Not dregs but definitely below average.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

a patagonian cavy posted:

because 12 months ago he had just won his second MVP in a row and you don’t let a QB walk in that scenario if you can help it

I feel like it's a mixture of:

- His performance definitely dipping last season (which they may blame on him not doing quite as much prep as elite QBs usually do, although obviously losing Davante was a big input)
- His continued wishy-washy approach to the retirement conversation
- (based on what they're saying, although who knows if it's true) Jordan Love's growth
- They thought they were on the edge of a Super Bowl, and I think it's clear that even at their peak it's probably not happening now

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

mastershakeman posted:

I never said he was. I just said the game loving owned. Part of that was probably because I was watching it at a bar with my best friend who's a Bears fan and he just started laughing at every pic.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YOLOsubmarine posted:

No, but their defense wasn’t really the problem last year or this. It hasn’t been great and Packers fans constantly complain that they don’t perform to their talent level, but they’re middle of the road.
I disagree about their D being the problem, which is why I asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Rodgers performed worst last year partly because the WR core was so inexperienced but the dude has definitely lost a step.

Thigh after struggling with a good but inexperienced WR core I’m not sure exactly what the jets have to offer him