Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
I seem to recall that original suicide squad was recut last minute to be more like the trailer for the film. Like they gave the job to the company that made the trailer. Which was basically set to a song. Which is why the movie is such a mess. I saw a YouTube about it once upon a time so it must be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It wouldn't surprise me at all. Like I said, the main characters are introduced three times in three completely different ways. And all the "needle drops" are with songs from the trailer and the action doesn't quite fit.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

one of the introductions ( for will smiths character?) was Eminem 's I'm back song and it was such a strange choice

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
How does one not know how to properly cue an extended music sting? It seems self-evident to me, that's probably why I'm not in the industry at all.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Tristesse posted:

Sorry kid with rear end cancer. Isn't the truth beautiful enough for you?

Man that movie that such hot garbage.

Wiig's character gaining powers and brutally beating a man attempting to assault her = villain turn, ominous music

Diana setting free the random guy whose consciousness was forcibly taken over by her dead boyfriend = the ultimate hero sacrifice

Just bizarre decisions all around

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

everydayfalls posted:

I seem to recall that original suicide squad was recut last minute to be more like the trailer for the film. Like they gave the job to the company that made the trailer. Which was basically set to a song. Which is why the movie is such a mess. I saw a YouTube about it once upon a time so it must be right.

It's thought they decided it needed to be DCCU's Guardians of the Galaxy which uncut Suicide Squad wasn't and recut wasn't much of anything other than a Frankenstein's monster wondering why it was made to feel pain.

The other thing about WW84 that gets me aside from the extremely not thought through idea of having Steve possess some rando was having Diana be hung up on a guy she knew decades ago for like a month. This however is a symptom of the DCCU just aping Marvel without any understanding of why what the MCU was doing worked at the time so they had to play with that whole 'she kept to herself until BvS, even sitting out WW2' thing.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Wonder Woman and the Minions both in the same cave waiting out Hitler.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"I was fighting Mussolini"

"Weren't the Italians totally worthless in WWII?"

"Yes, I did do a good job, didn't I?"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dawgstar posted:

Is it even explained why he wanted to be the vector for wish granting? It's such an odd choice, as opposed to other choices in WW84 which are just bad.

I'm doing this from memory so I may be getting this slightly wrong, but the when you make a wish on the stone, it takes something from you as a result. Therefore, if he becomes the stone, he can grant people's wishes and then take things from them. I don't remember what things, it's a very dumb movie, please don't ask.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I feel like a bunch of needle drops got added because GotG had just had a massive box office success and they wanted to try and retool the movie into something that would directly compare. The problem was that they sucked and didn't fit the scenes they were crammed into, probably because it was an 11th hour thing and they didn't have a competent soundtrack person.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
yeah I dunno if anyone is able to do cool music cues like Gunn, he's so good at not just doing the lamest, easiest choice

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Wonder Woman and the Minions both in the same cave waiting out Hitler.

i was always rubbed the wrong way by the first wonder woman movie because ww1 is such a loving tonally stupid place to put a cool power fantasy. like yeah gently caress imperial germany and lol that she killed lindendorf or whatever. but it has that lovely trope i hate in alot of movies where it will show the hero loving annialating dozens of randos but then when they have the chance to kill like a legit awful person, then its suddenly time for mercy. like your killing a bunch of conscripted teens but you wont kill the very clear future nazi who makes VX gas. like lol

whats funny is james gunn does that trope but makes it work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRQChd-nf9A

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i was always rubbed the wrong way by the first wonder woman movie because ww1 is such a loving tonally stupid place to put a cool power fantasy. like yeah gently caress imperial germany and lol that she killed lindendorf or whatever. but it has that lovely trope i hate in alot of movies where it will show the hero loving annialating dozens of randos but then when they have the chance to kill like a legit awful person, then its suddenly time for mercy. like your killing a bunch of conscripted teens but you wont kill the very clear future nazi who makes VX gas. like lol

Yeah, this bugged me a little when watching it. But I loved the No Man's Land scene so much I kinda let it slide.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'll take every opportunity I can to gush over the fact that, apart from the initial surprise hit High Evolutionary gets in on Rocket, Rocket just completely outclasses him once they finally have their big confrontation. Rocket lived with the trauma for a long time and was intimidated by his memory of a towering figure from early in his awakening intelligence, but showing how far Rocket had gone beyond the petty nothing that the supposedly perfect/most evolved man was supposed to be was very, very satisfying.

Anyway, Peacemaker... I loved it, hope season 2 is great too!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

yeah I dunno if anyone is able to do cool music cues like Gunn, he's so good at not just doing the lamest, easiest choice

Edgar Wright

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Xelkelvos posted:

Edgar Wright

People need to see Baby Driver to really experience just how good Wright is in this regard. The music choices are absolutly amazing

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Scorsese, it goes without saying. It was fun to see him purposefully gently caress with timing, making awkward as hel cuts on The Departed. The undisputed master.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not going to lie the Shipping Up To Boston prison montage / title card drop still gives me chills.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

I'm doing this from memory so I may be getting this slightly wrong, but the when you make a wish on the stone, it takes something from you as a result. Therefore, if he becomes the stone, he can grant people's wishes and then take things from them. I don't remember what things, it's a very dumb movie, please don't ask.

I've watched the movie three times just to show people how bizarre it is and I'm still not sure what Pedro Pascal's deal was. But he absolutely carried that movie as much as he could.

It's very bizarre in every way. Like they wrote the script in one bender session and studio gave no notes and all the millions to make it. I think my favorite stupid thing is that despite taking place in the 80s it has nearly no 80s fan-service. Also the ridiculous WW out runs a armored convey to save some Palestinian kids playing in the middle of the road in front of said massive convoy.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Watched birds of prey, it was definitely disjointed and had some vestigial parts but it also had some really great scenes

I liked that it had the guy from future man and the guy from future war back to back

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thundercracker posted:

I've watched the movie three times just to show people how bizarre it is and I'm still not sure what Pedro Pascal's deal was. But he absolutely carried that movie as much as he could.

It's very bizarre in every way. Like they wrote the script in one bender session and studio gave no notes and all the millions to make it. I think my favorite stupid thing is that despite taking place in the 80s it has nearly no 80s fan-service. Also the ridiculous WW out runs a armored convey to save some Palestinian kids playing in the middle of the road in front of said massive convoy.
Don't forget the completely incomprehensible 'hero speech' Diana gets at the very end that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Don't forget the completely incomprehensible 'hero speech' Diana gets at the very end that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

Which leads into the hilarious bit in Shazam 2 when it looks like Billy is dead and they're all "only a god can revive him" so Diana steps out of the shadows to go on about how there's still a god left or whatever and her electric guitar riff kicks in. It's amazing.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also when she gets the golden suit of armor featured in the trailer and it does absolutely nothing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

People need to see Baby Driver to really experience just how good Wright is in this regard. The music choices are absolutly amazing

It's also visible in Shaun of the Dead with the jukebox fight.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I’m pretty sure if I remember right Pedro Pascal was using wishes to take peoples oil? The just starting taking everything for no reason?

Then they had Gal Gadot save several Arab soccer-playing children from the oil guy and my eyes rolled out of my head

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

one of the least interesting action scenes i've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNtHU07NXxY

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Modern cgi fest action films are very good at making even the most exciting sounding thing boring as hell.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

moist turtleneck posted:

Shageletic posted:

Scorsese, it goes without saying. It was fun to see him purposefully gently caress with timing, making awkward as hel cuts on The Departed. The undisputed master.

So is nobody going to mention Tarantino?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm gonna be a monster and say: Baz Lurhman and Zack Snyder both make great music video interludes in their films.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm gonna be a monster and say: Baz Lurhman and Zack Snyder both make great music video interludes in their films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OhlZJHiMmU&t=142s

low q but one of the best action sequences, chase scenes, music selections/remix and intros ever done. Also good fight choreography.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Open Source Idiom posted:

Zack Snyder thought it was a great idea to set a sex scene to the tune of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^
Was she at least bathing on the roof?

I don't recall any bathing on any roofs.

itry fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 17, 2024

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^
Was she at least bathing on the roof?

Alhazred posted:

So is nobody going to mention Tarantino?

He doesn't use music as much as people like Gunn, but when he goes he goes hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjUi-P4gm6k

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 17, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I know it's a rip off, but Tarantino's opening to Jackie Brown goes harder than The Graduate's.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Great to see one third of the DC Trinity spend most of the scene doing leg day between two Humvees.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I love how they knew they needed to bring back Chris Pine because he was like the best part of the first movie and they do it in the most baffling way possible.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Dawgstar posted:

Great to see one third of the DC Trinity spend most of the scene doing leg day between two Humvees.

A better and shorter scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FIvfx5J10

itry
Aug 23, 2019

:hmmyes:

I wish he got to act in more stuff. Jean-Claude Van Johnson was really fun. IIRC, it had some Future Man energy, which I also enjoyed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Modern cgi fest action films are very good at making even the most exciting sounding thing boring as hell.

It just takes creative artists and directors to make it work. But far too often CGI stuff is outsourced to cheap animation farms that do the bare minimum with no direction or artistic vision, so the results really suck. Even though studios like Disney and Warner Brothers have unlimited money, they still cheap out. Its really disappointing. Super Hero genre is where you could probably do the most creative work with CGI in my opinion.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I said come in! posted:

It just takes creative artists and directors to make it work.

Yeah main issue seems to be is there is just to much or it and it's just being used as a crutch. An action scene can be entirly cgi, if every one has time to properly plan it out and make it work. Instead every thing always seems to be rushed as hell, and comes off dull and lifeless, and the scenes always seem to be way to long with a bunch of repetative action, making things worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
superman is a rip off of dragonball