Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

let every movie and series be its own thing and let the nerds and youtubers generate arguments about canon and timelines and whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

let every movie and series be its own thing and let the nerds and youtubers generate arguments about canon and timelines and whatever

:hai:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I don't give a crap about canon, but if S1 isn't canon to the "DCU" and S2 is canon... what does that say about the connection between the seasons? S1 never happened? Terminator dad is still alive? Beard guy is still dyeing his beard? Peacemaker is still killing people? :iiam:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

itry posted:

I don't give a crap about canon, but if S1 isn't canon to the "DCU" and S2 is canon... what does that say about the connection between the seasons? S1 never happened? Terminator dad is still alive? Beard guy is still dyeing his beard? Peacemaker is still killing people? :iiam:

Peacemaker wakes up in the hospital again realizing season 1 was a dream
:tipshat:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

itry posted:

Yeah, this is the main reason I posted the tweet. I don't care if it's not connected to the movies, but if one season isn't and one season is, I have questions.

I'm guessing it's more of a "don't think about it too hard, it's a silly show that won't think about it too hard either" situation. Peacemaker will have a line like, "And now Superman looks all young and different, but we're not supposed to talk about that..." and everyone else will just look at him confused. Like Deadpool talking about the different Professor X's.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, this is the main reason I posted the tweet. I don't care if it's not connected to the movies, but if one season isn't and one season is, I have questions.

I'm guessing it's more of a "don't think about it too hard, it's a silly show that won't think about it too hard either" situation. Peacemaker will have a line like, "And now Superman looks all young and different, but we're not supposed to talk about that..." and everyone else will just look at him confused. Like Deadpool talking about the different Professor X's.

I'd want them to make fun of it because it really is incredibly silly. Cena ad-libbing some lines would be good. As long as the character development happened.

UFOTacoMan posted:

Peacemaker wakes up in the hospital again realizing season 1 was a dream
:tipshat:

gently caress it, why not.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Does DC have a Deadpool expy? Mxyzpltlk/Batmite maybe?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That would be Deathstroke, "Slade Wilson", m'dude.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

thrawn527 posted:

The thing I don't like about this idea is that it's a Gunn character poking fun at Gunn things. I know he's probably just a glorified spokesperson, but all this confusion about canons and connections is because Gunn keeps talking about it. I'd have more of a chuckle if Peacemaker is all pissed off at some church guys because some people just can't shut the gently caress up about canon.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
At the start of the new ep a cannonball explodes a tv flashing the word canon on it ala fire walk with me

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

itry posted:

The broad strokes happened but the details are fuzzy.

The_Doctor posted:

Ambush Bug

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

For what it's worth, I found the actual quote from Gunn (even though it's kinda chopped up).

https://www.darkhorizons.com/gunn-on-peacemaker-s2-filming-canon/

James Gunn posted:

S2 is full DCU not DCEU… Season one isn’t canon… Many strands will remain consistent, yes, insofar as Peacemaker’s story goes…. Peacemaker Season 2 will take place after the events in Superman. Everything in Waller will take place after Peacemaker.

Also, on Threads (where all this comes from) he confirmed that events in Superman will have an impact on Peacemaker season 2.

https://www.threads.net/@jamesgunn/replies

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 11, 2024

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

itry posted:

I'd want them to make fun of it because it really is incredibly silly. Cena ad-libbing some lines would be good. As long as the character development happened.

I think the blooper reel that had Cena rattling off random names was ad-libbed. him shrieking “those CUNTS from Riverdale!” or whatever cracked me up.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

At the start of the new ep a cannonball explodes a tv flashing the word canon on it ala fire walk with me

Cannonball’s a marvel character tho

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

the escape goat posted:

I think the blooper reel that had Cena rattling off random names was ad-libbed. him shrieking “those CUNTS from Riverdale!” or whatever cracked me up.

I’ve used that outtake to convince five or six people to watch the show.

“I hate John Cena!”
“Dude he’s funny as hell just watch this”
Five minutes later…
“Wow I had no idea.”

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The new Mortal Kombat also seems to get Peacemaker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTyMIjqxK60

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Twerk from Home posted:

So do you, like, build up shooting stronger?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Grendels Dad posted:

The thing I don't like about this idea is that it's a Gunn character poking fun at Gunn things. I know he's probably just a glorified spokesperson, but all this confusion about canons and connections is because Gunn keeps talking about it. I'd have more of a chuckle if Peacemaker is all pissed off at some church guys because some people just can't shut the gently caress up about canon.

But Gunn is one of those people who can't seem to shut the gently caress up about canon.

the escape goat posted:

Yeah, I know. It's great. Just trying to make everybody else on set laugh while saying more and more ridiculous things.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

itry posted:

But Gunn is one of those people who can't seem to shut the gently caress up about canon.

Well, that's literally his job...

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Just saying, either way you're poking fun at Gunn things.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Ooh yeah, MK1 made me sad. :( Huge downgrade from MK11, and even that wasn't that good of a game.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Deadpool is the expy, of Deathstroke.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Kinda surprised that after the success of the Deadpool movies DC never tried to make a Lobo film

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

grittyreboot posted:

Kinda surprised that after the success of the Deadpool movies DC never tried to make a Lobo film

They did and do, the project just always dies when they realize they can't cast Hugh Jackmann.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

They did and do, the project just always dies when they realize they can't cast Hugh Jackmann.

Or go back in time and give 1996 Rob Zombie steroids for two years.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I’ve used that outtake to convince five or six people to watch the show.

“I hate John Cena!”
“Dude he’s funny as hell just watch this”
Five minutes later…
“Wow I had no idea.”

just found the clip again and I am cackling at how he’s just shotgunning so many names and the random little asides

https://youtu.be/zLccVHVd_-E?si=1FR2PQ1xEnEE6HhT

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

grittyreboot posted:

Wasn't Lobo rumored to be the 'fall back' role for Momoa after it was clear the DCCU v1 went belly up?

Although at least unlike Gadot if so he didn't go around telling people he would 'for sure' be brought back.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

So do you, like, build up shooting stronger?

No one is answering this, but I really want to know too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't Lobo rumored to be the 'fall back' role for Momoa after it was clear the DCCU v1 went belly up?

Although at least unlike Gadot if so he didn't go around telling people he would 'for sure' be brought back.

Mamoa as Lobo is spot on.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/Simpsons_tweets/status/1767539148498305471?t=tYtAkd06Z-l_1n2BGmT_-g&s=19

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

I hope I die with my hotdog in my hand.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

This scene has been stuck in my head since it first aired.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

that scene is me but probably being mad about something way loving sadder then aquaman.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

AceOfFlames posted:

Otherwise it's going to confuse everyone.

Well I guess the worst that can happen is that it confuses the people who care about the DC Cinematic Universe, and I hope both of them can figure it out somehow.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sammus posted:

Yes, absolutely. Don’t think about it too hard.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Sammus posted:

My internal explanation for gun characters in RPGs doing more damage the more you leveled strength was that they were thrusting the gun forward at the moment of firing, increasing the velocity of the bullets :science:

e: Anybody listen to Podly, the Peacemaker Podcast? Any good?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

moist turtleneck posted:

Live action Uncle Grandpa.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't think I've seen a single DCU movie outside of the one this show originated from.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Me either.

The second Suicide Squad movie was a genuine blast. The rest of the DCU (DCEU? The gently caress's the difference?) movies just don't seem like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Me either.

The second Suicide Squad movie was a genuine blast. The rest of the DCU (DCEU? The gently caress's the difference?) movies just don't seem like fun.

they are either overly serious and grim or they are basicaly shittier versions of what the MCU did/does.