Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hobo Clown posted:

What if everyone's stone-faced puppet-like dancing is foreshadowing that they're all butterflies? :tinfoil:

It turns out everyone is butterflies. That's just humanities true form, which has been suppressed by an evil space wizard for the past 100.000 years. Now the spell is slowly breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I need even more footage of John Cena randomly listing dozens of people.
Now I wonder if that whole tirade and the reaction shots were completely scripted or if they improvised some of that. Either way Incredible well done acting there. Cena has great comedic timing.
I also loved the end scene where John loudly objects to a dead guy, after Chris just listed like a dozen fictional characters. Sure that guy is less believable than Ernie or Bert. Ariana Grande does look to innocent, though.

By the way, it's sort of weird to have a character with the same first name as the main actor.

Also, with that new police chief, everyone from the intro is now in the show.
Another great moment was when in contrast to Peacemaker, Detective Song was unable to come up with more than three white guys. She seems great, and good at her job, but just not as good at these verbal battles.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 27, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The character has had that name for 35 year already. :ssh:
https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/John_Economos_(New_Earth)

Yeah, I figured. He was also around in the movie, before Cena became the capital Main Character. On the other hand, Cena had that name longer than that. :colbert:
Well, I just have to use Felix Cena now, that sure rolls off the tongue.

If I ever write a story, I'll just have three central characters randomly share their first name. No deeper meaning or reason for learning to know each other. Just the occasional clarification, which one is meant. That's so rare in fiction, that it will be groundbreaking!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 27, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

What reason is there to suspect Harcourt's bugged up? Beyond tanking getting punched through a shelf by a gorilla like a boss?

When she first met him, she didn't fall head over heels for Chris. Classic Butterfly behavior. None of them did that so far. Well, except the first one depending on how you interpret it. She was the exception.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What? :psyduck: She was there in The Suicide Squad. She read his file. She knows he's an rear end in a top hat. Why would she fall head over heels for him?

Or maybe I am badly misunderstanding your position.

I don't really think so. But I could see him telling this to himself in order to heal his bruised ego.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Gervasius posted:

I loved how Peacemaker invented duct taping hand grenade to a tank shell.

To be honest, I've never seen that, so he might well have been the original virtuous creator.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I wonder if they actually pay Vigilante.
Peacemaker is there because they have the power to bring him back to prison and or explode his head. But Vigilante is just there to be a hero / do Peacemaker a solid / because he has a blast doing these things?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm interested how those two factions who both want to kill Peacemaker will interact. Especially considering how there are some who are in the intersection, but I'd imagine those changed their minds on that subject.
I also wonder if former Goth has actual grievance with him and if that peace sign was just a ploy to get out, or if they could have become sort of friendly.
Sophie Song's actress is really good and I am glad that she gets more involved now.

Was that actually Cena in the piano? That was a nice scene and he had impressively sad facial expressions, but I kept wondering.they haven't shown a lot shots of his fingers there.

Also, "I know my own birthday!"

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 3, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mover posted:

I want Goff’s favorite color to be an important plot point later on. Like they need to figure out which car or notebook belongs to him. If only they had the time to ask…

There's no Goff anymore. All is Song.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Heffer posted:

I'm thinking Murn takes over Eagly and we get a talking sidekick next season

Man, that is bad in like four different ways. I really hate the idea. Also, I think I kinda hate you for being able to come up with such garbage. If that happens I will blame you.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Everyone posted:

I want one of those helmets to give regeneration/brain-healing so we can get actual Sophie Song back as part of the team for next season because I loved her character and also Annie Chang is really cute.

Yeah. I felt legit bad when she sort of died.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

If anybody is able to be unbutterflied it better be her. She's got the congressman bug so she's the defacto leader I think, should still have plenty of screen time in the last 2 eps at least.
While I agree that I want more Sophie Song, it seems unlikely.
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1490147882959314949?cxt=HHwWioC5qdfmiK4pAAAA

Maybe the bug will impersonate her a bit. Looking forward to a scene when she gets to meet Augur again.she was not fond of him.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 6, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Asuron posted:

It seems like that's not gonna be the case though, which is really disappointing but Annie Chang is killing it and I hope we see her in more stuff because of this show.

I guess it's a good thing for Annie Chang's career. Playing the mayor villain is probably great on her resume.

When she died like that I felt really bad for her, especially since that was the first time we saw the butterlyening. But mostly it was surprising to have those cops suddenly be central in the A-Plot. Up until then they were basically just on cleanup duty. Basically the relatable civilian perspective on this superhero black ops nonsense. That routine worked quite well, so I didn't expect Gunn to blow it up like that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Tiberius Christ posted:

The sheriff was butterflied with the rest of police station at the end but he was one of Murn's contacts so the guy was some deep state op that probably worked under Amanda Waller. Considering the way they treat people under them in the suicide squad movies its no wonder the guy is a loving psychopath.

Amanda Waller is not a nice person. The plan here was to sweep up all the butterfly people and afterwards use the diary to blame it all on a delusional and deranged Christopher Smith, who did it all on his own volition.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 6, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
When the butterflies blow up their planet and infiltrate ours everybody is up in arms about it, but when Kryptopnians do it, people want to make them president!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The Butterflies are the only ones keeping the other 15 factions of brain snatchers in check.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Goff: You see, there is a deadly creature known as Starro the Conqueror, and only we can stop it should it ever come to this pla.... why are you laughing?

While that idea is funny, presumably they did watch the international news and saw that thing.

By the way, did Starro name itself, or did that come from the creepy scientist?
For that matter, is "Butterflies" a slur? I guess Murn would know the actual name of the species, but it's not like he could explain that to Waller.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 7, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

My favorite part of "The Suicide Squad" is the quite obvious nazi nature of the all the US-backed experimentations in *check note for totaly normal central american prison name* Jötunheim. We should be happy they didn't call it Adolf.

I rewatched that movie last week. The bunker itself was built by the Nazis before they were pushed out a few decades ago. Then the Americans came and used it for their ethically challenged ideas. I guess they used a lot of the stuff which was conveniently already set up.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

Don't you get more money if your song is the credits music? Seems hard to overlook.

Their former manager might not have been that good at their job.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The show is really enforcing the idea that Vigilante is not well. He might be a good guy at heart, but he needs a serious intervention and probably a bunch of therapy sessions. I really can't see him accepting the idea that Peacemaker doesn't want to kill people anymore. (Shooting Nazi Iron-man dad is an exception to that and he should have done so eariler.)
By the way, did Vigilante even kill any of those Nazi goons? I'm pretty sure Economos got most of them, while Eagly pecked of the rest.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

If Auggie had only a single item of super science, like a zap sceptre or glun gun, I would just hand wave it for comic book rules. A villain needs a gimmick and there's a tradition in comics of C-List villains of having ingenuity to invent a single tool/weapon to support that gimmick. Captain Boomerang type poo poo.

Except, Auggie is a legitimate super scientist. A technobabble wizard, as I like to call them. He can construct a pocket dimension to keep his superscience workshop in. The super suit, the various gimmick Peacemaker helmets...something had to have happened to Auggie inbetween the kiddie boxing match and the show to give him that ability. I hope it is an element of Season 2.

I think he was always a proficient scientist and did his kid fighting ring as a way to give back to the community and to strengthen his boys. The setup looked a bit dingy, but I don't think he did that as a means of income.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Warbird posted:

I feel you there as you don’t want to go about glorifying the shitbags but that was more or less the case for the source material. Occultism being another common trope with them for the same (albeit far smaller scaled irl) reason.

In those stories, occultism is usually a matter of the lack of scruples, where the Nazi scientists figure out how to summon demons by brute-forcing the rituals, sacrificing thousands in the process, while the heroic Americans would never steep so low. Same goes to weird medical procedures which would discard uncountably many test subjects. That sort of logic doesn't really work for inventing racists Iron Man armor, or pocket dimensions, unless those are fueled by puppy-tears or something like that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 12, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

My speculation on how Peacemaker will get out of being the most wanted man in America is that the final mission will go completely tits up and the existence of Butterflies will be fully revealed to the world much to the chagrin of Amanda Waller.

For a hot moment Peacemaker will become the hero he always wanted to be except there's going be a twist of the knife.

He's the most wanted man in the County not in the Country.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Most of the cast was really good. But more than anything, I hope Annie Chang gets some mayor roles after this. Both of her characters where amazing. It's kind of sad that she wont return in season 2. Unless Gunn would consider something stupid like a twin sister.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Hobo Clown posted:

Do we know if the cow squeezings have an expiration date? If Goff is the only butterfly left they could presumably last a while on the existing barrels as Peacemaker's second favorite non-verbal animal sidekick.

Presumably, it's quite limited. Otherwise they would have stockpiled way more of that stuff. The end of the episode makes it pretty clear that he's just handing her the last few drops he owns as a final meal. She (and probably the world) is doomed and she just accepted it at this point, but doesn't really blame Chris for doing what he thinks is right. It's honestly a bit sad. It sounded like this population would starve out after a century anyway, but they wanted to have some significant positive effect before they'd be gone.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Warbird posted:

Where was the 100 year lifespan of the cow mentioned? I missed that one.

When SonGoff talked to Chris and told him how her species came to earth, she mentioned it. Something like "We could not get sustenance, so we brought the cow. She could feed us for hundred years."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Give Gunn the Great Lakes Avengers. It's the perfect mix of goofy, heartfelt and bloody, which he seems to like.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

itry posted:

Cutting costs... staaaaarting now... starting now. Now.

Edit: Starting now

Starting now!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, it might have. It was a sequel to Scoob.

Presumably most people would have seen the previous film first. So the new one wouldn't have all that many eyeballs left to melt.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

i am a moron posted:

Isn’t Ezra identifying as non binary and is not, in fact, trans at all? Or do I not fully grasp it

I think the idea is that every nonbinary person who is born biologically binary is trans.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Is... is that how that works?

Theoretically, that would be sound logic, assuming ftlt is impossible and the original transportation was magic instantaneous teleportation without movement.
Of course, flying 10.000 years at near lightspeed would be a bit weird under relative physics. Assuming a traveling speed of 99.99% c A day of travel for him would be like 200 years for the rest of the world, so he only ages by 50 days.

Honestly, that seems plausible. Spending two months to get back somewhere really far away is reasonable.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

itry posted:

But Gunn is one of those people who can't seem to shut the gently caress up about canon.

Well, that's literally his job...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Warbird posted:

I've got some exciting news for you about a good ol boy named Xuanzang and most modern hero based media.

All stories are just ripoffs of the Sumerian dude who wrote a bill for a bunch of grains.