Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah this show's just a goddamn good time to watch. I'm sure it was planned and pitched as a limited series one-off, but if they can convince Gunn to keep coming back to do more I'd be all for it. I get the vibe that it's going to tell a solid and complete story by the end of it though, and not really leave much wiggle room to where further seasons would make sense. It'd probably be 3 years at best before Gunn could come back to do more of it, and I feel like that's too long of a wait for a show like this.

This is certainly the best work that I've seen Cena do. I heard someone point out that Gunn's a goddamn wizard at highlighting strengths and hiding weaknesses in the actors he works with, with Dave Bautista in the first GotG as the prime example of that (which is also the position that Dave's basically taken in interviews), so I feel like there's some of that at work here too. Then again who knows, maybe Peacemaker's going to get a full 7 minute super intense emotional monologue at some point and it'll turn out that Cena's got some proper acting chops now.

Vigilante's the secret sauce that's really making this show work well for me. He comes across the most like an over-the-top comic book character to me in the best way, and I wasn't expecting someone to give that vibe more than Peacemaker in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

As with all recasting stuff like this, I'm assuming there's more to this than just "Eh they wanted to go one way with it, I wanted to go another, so we did some recasting." That just seems like way too dramatic a step to take just because someone isn't giving you quite the take on the character you want. On the other hand, Gunn's got more than enough pull to get everyone involved on board if he thinks that's the right call to make creatively, so it's at least believable to me that it actually was just creative differences this go around.

Regardless, even if Gunn gave the boot to an actor who was doing a fine job simply because he was sure some other person could come in and do better, given how this final product is turning out I absolutely am on Gunn's side here.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I figure that the Butterflies are mostly alien refugees of some sort, or interdimensional refugees if they want to get even weirder, and that almost everyone they've entered into symbiotic relationships with has done so willingly (probably because getting assimilated results in some solid health benefits, or they think they'll have more mental control than they actually end up having). But there's a faction of Butterflies that's trying to hunt them all down, which led to them infecting Murn and having Murn pitch Waller about how there's all of these super dangerous aliens infecting and taking over people.

That seems to make everything make sense, and I'd appreciate the show not treating an alien entity like it almost exclusively has one set of goals or mindset (The vast majority of Ferengis in Star Trek being treated as being solely profit motivated comes to mind, for example). One of the bigger weaknesses I see in sci-fi or fantasy is a race, whether it's Vulcans or Elves, being painted in very broad brushes that don't leave room for the complexity of individuals, or even really highlighting the cultural differences that come from people of the same race or species living in different countries or cities. Some stories do a good job of addling more layers of complexity there, but it can certainly vary. I think what makes keeping things simple in that regard an easy trap to fall into is that you can tell a great story while painting those groups with a broad brush. I think Tolkein's books are awesome pieces of literature, but there's plenty of examples in his books of this "broad brush" approach to the cultures and behaviors of the different races of Middle Earth.

I'm not expecting that we'll find out there's just heaps of butterflies that all have their own individual mindsets or reasons for doing what they're doing, but even getting at least two factions of them in the mix is more complexity than I've been trained to expect in a body-snatcher type scenario.

I'm also pretty surprised I'm speculating and thinking this much about Peacemaker of all shows, but I suppose I tend to do this a lot with any show I enjoy a lot. It's just pretty random how often I'll post about it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

The only thing that could have made it better would be if they had enough coverage to cut together 8 different takes. Not even anything major, just every cut has a couple of extra scenes with a different cast member or something. As it is now I just have to manually focus on a different person every episode like a peasant :(

Yeah, just using slightly different dancing takes for each part of it on every episode would be a lot of fun. Or have each intro be mostly the same, but each time there's one part of the dance that someone completely biffs it or is way off and you get to try to spot that each time.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I feel like this episode would've made for a fine and surprising reveal to us the audience of what's up with Murn. It'd certainly be more shocking and out of nowhere than doing it earlier. I wonder what the reasoning was for doing it that way when they were basically going to end an episode with that surprise (and have it be more impactful as it involves another character finding out) anyway.

Also there's no way we're getting a lot of complexity about what's up with the Butterflies. In retrospect, I was way overestimating how cerebral this show was going to get.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Yeah that was hosed but you also don't expect a beefcake wrestler like him to speak fluent Mandarin, be really good at playing the piano, and have his acting chops. Dude is awesome and he's definitely got a Rock-like career ahead of him.

Cena's kind of a monster of self improvement and doing way more than he needs to. He's done an absolutely absurd amount of Make-a-Wish stuff, I think he's got another language or two that he can speak aside from English and some fairly decent Mandarin, and he started learning Mandarin because WWE wanted to expand into the chinese market more.

His career's never gonna be Rock-level because Rock's got more overall charisma and better acting chops, and has a major lead in securing his A-list status, but I doubt anyone will take his place as the #2 ranked wrestler-turned-actor anytime soon. I didn't know he could play the piano, but as soon as I saw a decent number of shots of him playing I was just like "Yep, that's Cena casually playing some solid piano there." I like that it wasn't an insanely tough song to play on the piano either, since I feel like a lot of those "someone unexpected plays an instrument" moments go too far and have someone bust out an insanely difficult song on whatever instrument they suddenly wander over to and play, when keeping it more grounded and realistic can be more effective.

I think it's a safe bet that this show is going to put him in a position where people are lining up to try to get him to sign on to act in their stuff though, kind of get that sweet "offer only" status and so on.

SimonChris posted:

I wonder what Judomaster's deal is here. He claimed the butterflies weren't what they seemed, but the butterflies he was working for looks to be exactly what they seemed. Why is he working for them, when he is aware of their true nature?

Also, I predict that they will make the nazis fight the butterflies by pointing out that the latter are illegal aliens (and forming a Deep State to boot!).

My general predictions for the show's endgame are that Vigilante dies in the big fight that involves the Nazis and the butterflies at the ranch (Nazis show up because of course Peacemaker's dad has a tracker in his helmet), Gunn finds a way to make the Nazis fight the aliens and not come off as heroes, but more like dumb assholes who got manipulated into helping the heroes and all get killed for doing it, Peacemaker kills his dad using the weaknesses in the armor that Vigilante pointed out, the cow is one hell of a freaky looking thing (that one's kind of a gimmee), and someone starts being taken over by a butterfly and manages to resist it through some weird thing they did to prepare for that possibility or being able to enforce their own consciousness to override the butterfly's control.

Also, to add some comedy to the insanity there will be butterflies flying around that won't be able to get through the Nazi's masks once they cinch them tight or something to keep butterflies from crawling under them, so we'll see them start sneaking under Nazi pants and crawling up butts. That seems like the type of thing that this show would do.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

On the subject of Vigilante, I can't imagine they did it but it occurred to me that with so many scenes with vigilante in full costume and with his face covered, they technically could have only reshot the shots where he had his face showing and ADR'd to fill in when he was masked. That's got to break quite a few industry rules, but it's just a weird situation where it seems technically feasible in this situation where an actor was replaced late into the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Warbird posted:

So what happened there? Was there an 11th out recasting? Freddie has been killing it imo.

They had all of Vigilante's scenes (or almost all of them, but I think it might have been literally all of them) shot, then Gunn got it in his hand that Freddie would kill it even better (which I think must be true because drat he's an absolute highlight of the show) and did some full-on 13th hour recasting (certainly the latest recasting I've heard of that isn't a "Well Kevin Spacey's an rear end in a top hat so we gotta reshoot all his scenes for our movie" situation, and is reportedly just based on the director/showrunner thinking another person would be better for a part) and reshot all of Vig's scenes to bring Freddie in to take over the role from another actor.