Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, the police station scene at the end set to Reckless Love's 'Monster' was so good. The cinemaphile might nod knowing, pushing up their glasses and murmur how Gunn was drawing on his experience from Slither.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Katana is from Batman and the Outsiders, she's not traditionally a member of the Suicide Squad. A large chunk of their lineup are former Flash villains.

Yeah, I think she's connected to the Squad these days mostly because she was in the movie for whatever reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I believe she was put on the team in the New 52 which was before the film.

Yeah, they'd sort of been pushing Harley into an anti-hero role by that point if I have the timeline in my head right (so highly dubious) but she was super close to a Deadpool-level breakout and she'd developed a pretty strong fan following as well so being put on the team with all the villains made sense, which I'm sure is why Ayer picked her.

Shageletic posted:

It's a level of cinematography that has not been matched by any 9ther comic book show

Feels like it's outdoing Boba Fett as the other big concurrent genre streaming show as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

When she died like that I felt really bad for her, especially since that was the first time we saw the butterlyening. But mostly it was surprising to have those cops suddenly be central in the A-Plot. Up until then they were basically just on cleanup duty. Basically the relatable civilian perspective on this superhero black ops nonsense. That routine worked quite well, so I didn't expect Gunn to blow it up like that.

Well, ACAB. (All Cops Are Butterflies.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

True story, the second episode I accidentally hit skip on the opening and rewound to watch it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shageletic posted:

Starting to think this pro butterfly poster might be some kinda winged parasitic alien...

'My "I Think Alien Bugs Should Hollow Out Our Brains Because Humans Are Kinda Stinky" t-shirt has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my t-shirt' here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Senerio posted:

That's about me on the Monster scene tbh.

Right? It's pure B-movie horror shlock and awesome at the same time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I know the smiles are supposed to be goofy but that makes the scene work even more in a good way, harkening back to Goff-as-Song complaining that you have to remember how to smile each time and every one is different when they take a new host.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Snyder and Jenkins, isn't ww84 roundly hated?

Hated is probably a little strong, but people do seemed to be pretty put off by it on the whole thanks to some weird script choices (especially involving Steve Trevor) and just seems to be regarded as kind of a let down after the first movie which people mostly thought was good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MadJackal posted:

I know, I know. But Peacemaker's intro continues to slap.

I propose James Gunn has a Martin Scorsese-level talent for soundtracks if the soundtrack sticks to either classic rock or glam metal.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder if that racoon is the same one they used for Rocket.

I like to think this means you're asking if they had Sean Gunn claw up Peacemaker's face.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I don't mind it in Peacemaker. I noticed it in GotG but it didn't bother me. It completely turned my off Thor: Ragnarok though. Dude just could not let a single serious moment happen without some dumbass annoying quip.

It does feel like Gunn's got a better balance for it than any other Marvel regular director. He lets the real genuine moments sit there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I believe Ayer and Leto have said they shot enough Joker footage to cut together an entirely new film.

Don't you threaten me, sir.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Gunn's been doing that since at least Super. As I haven't seen Slither or any of his Troma stuff it very well could go back even earlier.

Well in Slither you'll get somebody realizing that even after everything they still love their wife, but the person doing the realization is Michael Rooker playing a slimy puppet made up of an entire town melting into him so yeah.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The only thing that bothers me a little is Cassandra Cain in the movie because it's just grabbing a name that could be anybody else's. Everything else is pretty dope. Liked Harley attacking the police station. And Huntress.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

Disney panicking and firing James Gunn was the best thing for superhero media.

Mike Cernovich somehow managed to turn his biggest win into his biggest loss.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warbird posted:

I will not permit any attacks against the best boy/bird and character in the show. Apologize to the eagle.

I'll apologize when he stops MISSING HIS MARK. :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't know about you but I'm somewhat unwilling to take the word of an alien bug that would burrow into some kid's brain, killing said kid and then pilot the body around like a tiny man in Voltron without a second thought's word on what it has to say about the greater good.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 18, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there anything she can't do? :allears:

https://twitter.com/Itsanniechang/status/1494765471945551873

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1495188351191695360

I want all of the Peanuts ones, especially the one with John being held aloft.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's really cool is seeing Bill Finger credited and Bob Kane not be. That never happens. I mean, what people think Stan Lee did to Kirby, Ditko, etc., that's what Bob Kane actually did to Finger when it came to Batman.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

zoux posted:

Scrubs who somehow create mindblowing, impossible physics devices is as common as capes in superhero books. Shocker was a high-school dropout who was nonetheless a technical genius who designed his shockwave gauntlets. The Top is a guy who taught himself how to spin really fast and in so doing supercharged his own brain in order to allow him to make techno top weapons. Sauron, famously, has invented genetic manipulation tech that is so advanced he could cure cancer. But he doesn't want to cure cancer...

Yeah. To put it in a DC context, White Dragon is about on the level of the Flash's Rogues. Some of them came up with their own tech, like Captain Boomerang.

(It is tempting to let people think I think Digger invented the boomerang, so do that if you want.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Automata 10 Pack posted:

James Gunn might be the director who gets comic books the most. Like while everything else feels like you’re watching shows or movies that feature intellectual property from comic books, while his stuff feels really feels like they are the spirit of comic books come to life.

Gunn by his own admission thinks they're one of the dumbest things ever but loves them deeply. This is important.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sumo posted:

I just got my trainer into the show after telling him to put the song into our workout rotation

That thing hits

Gunn might have a Scorsese-level talent for soundtracks with a very specific genre of music. 'Monster' was also an amazing use of music.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

the escape goat posted:

I love CHIKARA so much and it’s astonishing how much of an effect a goofy little indie from Philly made on the modern wrestling world. a lot of folks who are huge stars now cut their teeth there and it’s a shame how the promotion died.

Yeah, I wish Quackenbush was a decent human being too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gunn also feels like he's able to make most of the Marvel Formula where he can give you something sad or intense and is content to let it hang without immediately undercutting it with a joke which doesn't seem like other Marvel directors will (maybe that's encouraged because Avengers did so well which absolutely did that and was a product of You Now Who, I dunno).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DogsInSpace! posted:

I have an older sister who hates MCU movies with the exception of three: Winter Soldier (she says it’s like Bourne) and the GoTG movies. Gunn is really good at finding those characters you like and giving them real emotional moments that somehow hit hard. I never though Yondu and Peter’s arc would hit me so hard but it still does. That final part of the Ravager Funeral where Rocket looks out. Gut punch. I love that surly trash panda.

If either of you are big into games you might check out the Guardians video game that was really good and apparently sadly undersold so it's probably easy to get cheap. Very much along the same lines.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

Chris Pratt is the bad Chris but his reaction to Yondu’s death is one of the most raw, realistic expressions of anguish I’ve ever seen. Apparently Pratt’s own father had died recently and he was using it as an outlet.

https://youtu.be/TsdW-_EXOI8

I saw GotG2 in theaters after my own dad passed. I can relate.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm surprised Sean didn't show up at all. And was there a Lloyd Kaufman cameo?

Apologies if either of these were already covered.

Jokes about Sean mocapping Eagly aside I don’t think either were.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Reminder that SLiTHER is one of the best horror comedies ever made

And it started the lifelong bromance between Gunn and Michael Rooker. :allears:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think he could do The Question.

Just get real loving weird with it.

Especially JLU's conspiracy theorist Question.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Everyone posted:

It's mostly that I don't care enough about it to really research it. This is pretty much true of any celebrity. I consume/watch their content, but I don't follow them on social media or really look up their histories or things like that. Basically I care about them to the extent that they're doing their "jobs" of providing me entertainment content. Beyond that, I figure their lives are their own. I don't want to get into their lives/histories because I wouldn't want anyone prying into mine.

:goonsay:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Put Question in season 2, it'd be great.

We could probably even get Jeffery Combs to do it because Question's the easiest character in the world to stunt double for. And if a horror nerd like Gunn hasn't worked with Combs, I bet he'd love to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

If only accept Vic Sage Question in Peacemaker if it's the Zen monk version where he's philosophically waxing all the time and mostly indistinguishable from a guy who's on too much weed and acid, but also highly skilled in martial arts

That he would be shot in the head and then stroll into the mob boss' house singing O Danny Boy was a given, yes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

And absolutely nobody says it better than Brendan Frasier.

I'm very glad that Fraiser, who got a super raw deal, is having a late stage career comeback.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

That was planned at some point by Scott Snyder or someone, but was ultimately dropped and made into a non canon story.

There are two Batmen now (again), but neither of them are Dick

We also have three Batgirls, but they're all cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow! Cena's arms really are huge!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

They literally cancelled a TBS sitcom the night it was supposed to air. Until the show is out, I trust nothing

They also canceled the new Scooby Doo movie which was another 40 million they'll use to write off on taxes. That's over 130 million total thus far. Scooby didn't even have the "excuse" that Batgirl did that it was so awful it would melt your eyeballs or whatever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

Lmao not really. His presence is like some weird feedback loop where the presence of one assumes the prominence of the other, but the truth is neither seems to work in their bigger roles. I also believe this was Johns' idea.

It was always weird - or maybe not, given Johnson's apparent ego - that he wanted Adam to have nothing to do with Shazam despite that being one of the more well regarded DC flicks. Probably didn't want him in Cap's shadow or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

grittyreboot posted:

Kinda surprised that after the success of the Deadpool movies DC never tried to make a Lobo film

Wasn't Lobo rumored to be the 'fall back' role for Momoa after it was clear the DCCU v1 went belly up?

Although at least unlike Gadot if so he didn't go around telling people he would 'for sure' be brought back.