Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CODChimera posted:

exact same. i think it might just be the perfect song for it

Exact same and I normally skip intros after the first time. I normally don’t repeat it again unless it really slaps and that’s only the first and last intro. I watch the dance number every freakin ep. Every ep so far I find someone that makes me laugh. Harcourt’s jig is stiff and awkward but super aggressive like this buff dude that used to go to a London goth club that always made me giggle a few years back. Like an angry robot baby. Dude really loved Ladytron.

Whole cast is great but Vigilante has been the biggest surprise. His speech to the nazis had me dying. He may be a sociopath but he’s not that much of a douche. Still shocked Cena is THIS good at comedy. Can we just let Taika and Gunn do more shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crisco Kid posted:

You put your finger on why I find his relationship with Peacemaker so funny: Peacemaker is a douche, but he either is no longer or never truly was the psychopathic killer he tried to be; meanwhile Vigilante definitely has something broken in his brain, but his chipper friendliness is earnest.

Oh yeah.... Vigilante has an almost childlike quality to him that is legit disturbing. His "mad" reactions about being tortured and his "best friend" not helping and just how quickly he got over it. Something terribly wrong there. Peacemaker actually has empathy for the homely girl AND he has seems to listen to his people. Murtz mentioned how he has a need to please. Cena is absolutely hosed up and douchey but that ending scene (jesus christ Cena nailed it) remember his brother showed you that Cena is just a severely traumatized kid somewhere trapped inside of all the super hero-ing/murder. Really good acting and writing honestly for a semi comedy show about Black Ops but that is Gunn for ya.

Still sad Suicide Squad didn't do better as I thought it was a solid fun movie and want more. My only complaint is I will never see more Boomer taking the piss out of Count Vertigo. I'm probably the only person that didn't hate Captain Boomerang.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Vigilante is enjoying himself in the dance intro too. His moves seem more exaggerated and less stiff than everyone else. A neat detail if intended(or if I am not just seeing things I want to see).

Weirdly I had the same thought.

Szmitten posted:

Harcourt's actress was a gymnast and is actually the best dancer of the group, and everyone behind her is actually watching her for timing and prompts. But because she's wearing heels her footwork gets really hosed up and stompy.

Honestly it makes it better. Her aggressive awkwardness make it giggle worthy and seems to fit her character. Really the only guy that seems to not be into it is the White Dragon which ALSO fits his character and makes it funny. He definitely seems to have a "gently caress this is stupid and I hate you all but I'll humour you sumbitches because I'm getting paid" energy. I'm guessing that is 100% on purpose.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

No way - he's one of the best parts and I was miffed he got killed off.

Hah! Glad to see another guy out there. Also, as someone who has read and always enjoyed Suicide Squad comics extra dirtbag Captain Boomerang is like one of the essential members. His brief moments loving with the new recruits was gold.

Oh man that is nice. Glad to see something this good get some notice. Have a feeling John Cena will NOT be going back to wrestling anytime soon and good for him. Seriously his delivery is amazing and guy is a natural comedian as well as grand in action scenes. Guy was pre-made for Super Hero comedies. Always glad seeing Gunn get success and praise.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

You have no conception of how incredibly loud a gun going off inside the cab of a vehicle is until you've heard it. Firing an automatic inside would be insane, it hurts just watching that part.

Haha - truth. Always wondered if Hollywood knew one among many reasons people yell during combat is gunfire is loud (esp full auto) and when a bunch of guys are all going dakka - you can't hear poo poo for a bit. Even the outside mounted gun on an armoured vehicle make a fuckton of noise not to mention brass and "smoke". Chaotic as poo poo. Worse part of it all is.... your mouth gets so freakin dry so you are yelling AND hoarse. Camelbacks are among the the absolute best things ever invented and that water you take as you are cooling down after? Tastes amazing even if the initial bit tastes like you took a bite out of a piece of coal.

Since we are talking about sound... wish more shows and movies would avoid the stereotypical hollywood silencer sound...ESPECIALLY for the non .22 or 9mm rounds. Minor quibble but I see some AR or AK going full auto and its that pschoo pschoo just bugs the crap outta me.

thrawn527 posted:

On a list of things I thought I'd see on an HBO show, I didn't think John Cena and crew fighting a gorilla super powered by aliens, until one of them tore him to pieces with a chainsaw, followed up with them rocking out to hair metal in a van while still covered in the gorilla's blood would be one of them.

gently caress, this is a REALLY good show.
It really is. Acting, dialogue, plot... just really hits. Still hoping one of the spin offs is just more Suicide Squad with a recast Deadshot and Cap Boomerang. They can pop in who they need small time like Peacemaker or Count Vertigo (granted I really want snotty Count Vertigo in this) and also toss in randos playing Matter Eater Lad, OG Catman, Maxi Zeus, Mr. Mxyzptlk or Rainbow Raider. Tell me Gunn couldn't work magic with any of those five or really any obscure silly DC villain. Don't recast Amanda Waller as Viola Davis is amazing though CCH Pounder is also a perfect choice.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

itry posted:

peace-sign-jar.gif

Welp I’m convinced and I, for one, would like to welcome our new insect overlords.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arc Light posted:

Hey, now.

As Peacemaker himself pointed out, the Senator's kids looked to be nice enough.

Even if one was homely, that still shouldn't be a death sentence.

I’m with Peacemaker in that being homely makes it worse. Super model looking kids with perfect teeth and hair who brag about parents taking them on vacations? They are the worst. Bragging about getting a brand new Xbox and mocking your ancient Sony PlayStation you bought from some guy down the street. Calling you Stinkberg because your shoes were old and laughing about how Santa wouldn’t ever come because your family doesn’t do Christmas. <sniff sniff> Homely weird kids are cool and so much better than those popular kids!
<cries>
gently caress you Todd MacClaren

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

I disagree with this part, I think the KEY to Gunn is that he gets 'characters'. He establishes who these people are, what they want, relationships they will grow, and an arc they will take. And he's pretty much the only one in Marvel who does this, which is why the GOTG movies feel so different. And why you can be cry with the mass murderer or the CG raccoon.

I mean Guardians literally starts with a boy running away from holding his mother's hand while she dies in the ICU.

Yeah the boy grows up to be a joke machine, and sometimes that is infused by established character but it never, ever negates that established character.

I have an older sister who hates MCU movies with the exception of three: Winter Soldier (she says it’s like Bourne) and the GoTG movies. Gunn is really good at finding those characters you like and giving them real emotional moments that somehow hit hard. I never though Yondu and Peter’s arc would hit me so hard but it still does. That final part of the Ravager Funeral where Rocket looks out. Gut punch. I love that surly trash panda.

On thread topic: never thought I’d start getting into 80s hair metal but here we are. Had something sad happen and the song that kept repeating in my noggin was “there’s no one home, in my house of pain.”

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

If either of you are big into games you might check out the Guardians video game that was really good and apparently sadly undersold so it's probably easy to get cheap. Very much along the same lines.

I’ll check it out. She will not as she thinks video games are ridiculous. I prefer to think she’s still mad I owned her so much at Halo, Mario Kart, No Mercy and Mortal Kombat back in the day. It was her Nintendo 64 and Xbox at the start but her bratty kid brother beating her all the time was a line. She did make the food so I guess I could have let her win more. In my defence… she loved Gilmore Girls and later willingly watched Big Bang Theory. Terrible big sis. Terrible.

Thanks for the recc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Chris Pratt is the bad Chris but his reaction to Yondu’s death is one of the most raw, realistic expressions of anguish I’ve ever seen. Apparently Pratt’s own father had died recently and he was using it as an outlet.

https://youtu.be/TsdW-_EXOI8

Yeah the whole movie has some powerful emotional stuff. The Nebula/Gamora relationship really hits her hard too as we have a little sister quite a bit younger than me. GoTG2 is the only movie to make her cry repeatedly. Lil sis too… hell all of us. Freakin parents man. I give her poo poo for Gilmore Girls or being short as hell but she was a great pseudo mom who did better raising us than she will ever give herself credit for. Still… she’s a tiny, tiny person.
I’ll toss that Ellis link to her as big sis does also love musicals as well so might be a good fit.

Shageletic posted:

Deadpool is fine. How about this

Have Gunn direct The Aquarian!

Holy gently caress I want this. Also the OG Adam Warlock arc would be a good series fit for Gunn. Going from a child messiah created by mad scientists, escaping and clumsily fighting his programming to trying to be an actual revolutionary hippy messiah to an alternate world, loving it up and wandering the universe gathering misfits before committing cosmic suicide to save the universe from himself then coming back from the dead to save it again from another genocidal big bad he accidentally teamed up with and helped while he was alive. He came back when I was a kid but that 70s arc is wacky stuff.

Dawgstar posted:

Especially JLU's conspiracy theorist Question.

For this and Animal Man I have an out there pick: Panos Cosmatos. Watch Mandy or Beyond the Black Rainbow. Turn that guy loose. He was also my pick for Moon Knight.