Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

You should probably check out Evil if you liked BrainDead. Starts out slower, goes just as crazy. Same people behind it.

Or The Bite; again, same people, and it's a miniseries.

Evil is great, but I didn't love when the goat head demon was introduced as just a real thing, I preferred the early episodes when the demonic influence was very present but ambiguous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Relevant Tangent posted:

Star Wars is at best PG 13 at all times, which means it'll never be particularly moving because it'll never allow the hero to shoot his incredibly racist dad right in the face mid-tirade. There's no meaningful stakes possible in anything on Disney+ and there never will be.

Its kind of weird to say that destroying an entire planet of peaceful pacifist humans doesn't qualify as particularly moving or meaningful stakes. And that's like a few minutes into the first movie.

Also in Star Wars the lead fights his dad in a laser sword duel, and the fact that he intends to kill him if he wins is like a major plot point.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 13, 2022

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

If saying that mass murder and a father son duel to the death counts as "stakes" is trolling sure I guess

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Fartington Butts posted:

There are two threads in TV IV to argue about Star Wars. Go there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjFqBLpPiMw

I'm in those threads too and also how the gently caress are they not using this acoustic version for anything? It's even better than the one already in the show which is good.

Sorry to poo poo up this thread tho.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It was just a meta joke about how non main characters who join up for the final fight are cannon fodder

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Khanstant posted:

they kind of just joked that his only superpower was being good at violence, which was redundant with Idris Elba having the same "powers."

Waller did the same description/origin story for both of them word for word and it was loving hilarious

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

AgentHaiTo posted:

So what is the tube? It's not like they have a long tube outside the human body. Are they hijacking the esophagus and using it like a giant straw? That's horrifying.

Maybe it's like a human penis where sometimes it looks wimpy and small and then sometimes all the guys in the locker room see it and they stop making fun of me

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also they took over a bunch of kids. I can understand why you would take over Goff, and maybe his wife, but why did you need to take over his kids? Even the homely butt baby deserves better than that!

Relevant Tangent posted:

lmao at the queen almost convincing Peacemaker she was telling the truth

You can read anything as deep as you want but the oath that she swears in a voiceover montage over peacemaker swearing his oath is like exactly the same as his. they will kill men women and children to achieve to goal of [peace] saving this planet and our race. Chris's oath to "peace" is just simplistic. I guess i am choosing to believe until otherwise that Goff and the scraps of butterflies left can't somehow mutate one of their ranks into a cow and resume their plot, if for no other reason than that if they could change into cows the one wouldn't have been so precious or had a specific deadline. It makes the most sense and is the most interesting version of the plot for Goff to be telling the truth. Chris's response isn't a rejection of Goff, it's a rejection of his own oath. And its supported by him not headshotting Goff, and later feeding Goff while staring contemplatively into the future/horizon

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 19, 2022

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Sega 32X posted:

I have no idea if this is the poster doing a racism or if it is something crazier but really this deserves some hilighting.

In places where monkeys live people train them to do stuff like harvest fruit

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The one thing I would have liked to see addressed (and god help me if it was and I missed it) but what was the butterfly life cycle on their planet? They've apparently evolved as intelligent parasites, but also have spacecraft for their nonhosted selves. Were their original hosts intelligent or not? It would be completely insane if they discovered their ability to burrow into a beings brain and access their memories and body and replace the functional brain by happenstance upon reaching earth

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 20, 2022

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Everyone posted:

Well they apparently flew to Earth in tiny butterfly-sized space ships. So whatever hosts they had on their home world probably couldn't survive on Earth.

But they said earth was a match for their planet

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Its peacemaker and vigilante doing a tandem gymnastics routine in leotards that match their costumes

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

i am a moron posted:

Okay so I picked up that Peacemaker was bi when his dad said ‘and MEN’ during his monologue and read an article about it, but did I miss something in the show where they explicitly said anything about that?

There is a post coital scene with vigilante, peacemaker, and the hostage wife (amber? I think?)

Edit: oops, wasn't on the last page after all

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
He made peace with his dad and he also made love with amber and vigilante

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The phrase "what the gently caress?" is a main character in Doom Patrol

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Warbird posted:

Do they go hard on music at any point in the show like they did for the first episode of DP? I don’t recall any licensed stuff again through theorist season.

There is an amazing sequence set to "perfect day" by lou reed

If youre wiki-ing doom patrol it's just because you don't want to watch it, and you're wrong, but ok. some of the Underground drama is annoying and drags on

S2 definitely suffers from not being finished though.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 8, 2022

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Quick trip report: I watched the pilot of Doom Patrol, and as a counter to what some people have been saying, I loving loved it. This show is EXTREMELY my jam. I'm not gonna make regular posts or anything, because this isn't the place for it. Just wanted to say thanks. gently caress, this is the kind of show I love.

At least from the pilot.

There's a doom patrol thread if you do want to make regular posts

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm not super well versed in DC lore but I thought king shark was a hammerhead and killer shark was a great white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Its a weird non sequitur but I love that skit. The only other ending I can think of right now is expelling him by unanimous vote from the evil society and then welcoming a Steve Bannon (or other period relevant evil politician) to the stage