Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder how much "troma" had to do with Freddy Stroma catching James Gunn's eye. The character was recast after the first guy had "creative differences"

Also this ep was directed by Jody Hill, who is Danny McBride's creative partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also next time I get bad fries at a Wendy's, I'm eating the whole motherfucker

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which guy is dancing in the credits though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Because you know you want to watch it again

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1484329048197136388

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wolfs posted:

Wrestlers to actors is a gamble that pays off in spades sometimes

this generation’s Rowdy Roddy Piper is here

I want James Gunn to do a horror movie

I dunno if we've ever been in a situation like this, where one wrestler is without-a-doubt-tippy-top-of-the-A-list (the Rock) another is almost there (Bautista) and a third is on track to get there. Mostly you'd have one-offs, like Piper in They Live or Ventura in Predator, but a sustained run of critically or commercially successful string of projects involving a single wrestler is a new thing. Remember the kinds of movies that Hulk Hogan used to make?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zzulu posted:

The Rock sucks and all his movies suck too

Bautista rocks though

Sure, but he's undoubtedly one of the most bankable stars in the world.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that's more down to billing than any kind of hidden secret.

e: yeah just checked, they're the first three credits.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol remember when Gunn was briefly cancelled by Cernovich and then we as a nation were like, you know what: no. (and without his brief cancellation the SS movie and thus the peacemaker show would've never happened. Thanks weird Mike!)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

I need even more footage of John Cena randomly listing dozens of people.

Make sure you watch the post credits scene

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory address the fact that Peacemaker found a tiny alien spaceship? cries in Milhouse

e: Speculation based on the ep6 promo: I hope White Dragon shows up and kills all those cops as they are trying to arrest Peacemaker. Also there is a ridiculously amount of gore.

This ep was the first time I think we got to see some classic Gunn gore. Still a little lowkey by Troma standards, but it was loving brutal for regular tv.

x-posting from chat:

Parrot Analyitics, one of those streaming Nielsen outfits, claimed last week that Peacemaker was the top streaming show in the world. I'm always skeptical of those numbers, but the fact that HBO is apparently developing a second SS spinoff series with Gunn would seem to confirm them.

quote:

“We’re working on something else now, another TV show that’s connected to that universe,” Gunn told us, “I can’t quite say.”

Peacemaker John Cena
In addition, Gunn says about a second season of Peacemaker, which recently dropped episode 5 today, “There’s a really good chance of that.”

“We’re the biggest show in the world right now,” Gunn continued, speaking from the set of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 in Atlanta.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My guess is that the butterflies are factionalized and the one in Murn's head (and Harcourts???) are "good guys".

Takes No Damage posted:

:agreed: that all but confirms at least some of that was improv.

e:
And I like how somewhere in there he gets called out for listing dead people but Economo doesn't say anything about Elvis :tinfoil:

Apparently Gunn runs a much tighter ship than you'd expect from the dialogue, but at the end of a good take he'll let the actors riff for a while.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol I'm listening to the spotify playlist and I've never heard of 90% of the bands and it loving kicks rear end

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 27, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

What reason is there to suspect Harcourt's bugged up? Beyond tanking getting punched through a shelf by a gorilla like a boss?

This kind of complacency is what allowed the butterflies to get a foothold in the first place!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know his gimmick was annoying but was/is Cena a good wrestler

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't care how they do it, they just need to figure out how to get judomaster in the 11th St Kids

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheSwizzler posted:

They just need to slot Judomaster into all future DCEU projects. No story, no explanation, he just shows up out of nowhere, beats the crap out everyone, gets taken down, tied up, escapes

Punching Dick Grayson in the throat, doing the leprechaun dance at him

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Hello I am Sophie Song's identical twin sister, Landfill"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Scrubs who somehow create mindblowing, impossible physics devices is as common as capes in superhero books. Shocker was a high-school dropout who was nonetheless a technical genius who designed his shockwave gauntlets. The Top is a guy who taught himself how to spin really fast and in so doing supercharged his own brain in order to allow him to make techno top weapons. Sauron, famously, has invented genetic manipulation tech that is so advanced he could cure cancer. But he doesn't want to cure cancer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grant Morrison, who may have written the seminal modern Superman book in All-Star wrote about "evil Superman" on his substack last week and I thought it was pretty good

quote:

The notion behind the Superman and the Authority series as it was proposed to me was that Superman – who had aged in real time since his 1938 arrival on Earth and was now 82 going on 55 and with diminishing powers - would inevitably grow more and more autocratic as he got older and his son took his place as a new and more popular switched-on Superman.

Dan knew exactly how I’d feel about this. He waited for me to take a breath while he ordered another bottle of our favourite ZD. Then, waving a fork in an unnecessarily aggressive manner, I got going…

I liked the idea of an older Superman rethinking his mission and turning into what I saw as a Doc Savage pulp hero figure with his own team of expert operatives… but as for the rest of it…

I questioned the desire to attribute the worst aspects of human behaviour to characters whose only useful function, as I see it, aside from simply entertaining young people and anyone else who fancies an uplifting holiday in a storybook world far from the grinding monotony of pessimism and disillusion, is to provide a primary-coloured cartoon taste of how we all might be if we had the wit and the will and the self-sacrifice it takes to privilege our best selves and loftiest aspirations over our base instincts. While that great day is unlikely to happen any time soon in any halfway familiar real world, why not let comic book universes be playgrounds for the kind of utopian impulses that have in the past brought out the best in us?

To undermine the fundamental appeal of superheroes like Superman and Supergirl by re-casting them as anti-heroes at best or outright monsters - dragging imaginary childhood paragons off their pedestals to reinforce a fairly facile point about the tendency of real world heroes to exhibit feet of clay, struck me and strikes me still as imaginatively lazy.

Using kids’ adventure heroes to make hackneyed observations about typical human behaviour that does not in fact apply to made up comic book characters strikes me as – I don’t know - whimsical? Dilettantish? A squandering of energy and creativity?

This is purely a personal bias but the desire to compel fantasy worlds to conform to the allegedly superior rules of grim reality can feel to me like a form of memetic colonialism I’ve generally found distasteful and against which I’ve found myself rebelling since I got my start in US monthly comics in the late ‘80s with Animal Man.

Using Superman’s greatest vulnerability against him – that he is powerless to resist how he is written – to deliberately misrepresent the intentions of his creators or portray him in a way that would best suit some other character strikes me as an oddly blinkered refusal on the part of otherwise imaginative people to even try to conceive what might go on in the mind and motivations of a fictional paragon created to do the right thing with no thought for his own safety.