Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think it's made clear that the remaining Zeniths didn't really know how GAIA functioned or if their smash & grab scheme would even work. Most of them weren't the minds behind the technologies that allowed them to escape on the Odyssey and grant them near-immortality, they just financed those breakthroughs and immediately stepped on their faces whenever it was convenient. Only Tilda fully understood the potential of GAIA because of her relationship with Elisabet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Ytlaya posted:

The one thing that seems like it might bug me is the constant red halo around the screen (I'm guessing that applies below the relevant threshold? if it's only below like 15% or something it might not be so bad). That would drive me crazy, and it'd be really hard to not reflexively use berries.

sadly the halo is there at the 25% HP baseline you play in on LH. I got used to it, but might bother some people. Especially at night, looks smaller in daytime as the sunlight fades the edges of the red glare. I think it got slightly reduced in the dlc patches but not sure (dont have the dlc since im on ps4). But yeah would really love a option to remove the red glare entirely

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

There is no way I could stand to do a low health build without the option to remove that.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

It would be really convenient if the small health potion was enough healing to remove that but not put you over the 50% hp threshold for the skills to kick in, but it's too big even at max level. The aura does fade as you heal, it seems to be much more intense at 5% hp than at 25%.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shredder Gauntlet is so much fun. Think I'm going to try to go heavy on stuff I mostly ignored in my original playthrough, like that and Warrior Bow. I'm also trying to remember to actually use my weapon skills and Valor surges this time around. Even though it's probably not optimal, I kind of want to use the DLC one that tosses out a bunch of traps. The Hunter's Mark one also seems fun, though I imagine most are outperformed by Ranged Master or the critical damage one if you have a fancy weapon with powerful weaves.

In my original playthrough, I remember Boltblaster being hilariously strong against most enemies, but I also invested in the legendary one before any of the other legendaries.

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's made clear that the remaining Zeniths didn't really know how GAIA functioned or if their smash & grab scheme would even work. Most of them weren't the minds behind the technologies that allowed them to escape on the Odyssey and grant them near-immortality, they just financed those breakthroughs and immediately stepped on their faces whenever it was convenient. Only Tilda fully understood the potential of GAIA because of her relationship with Elisabet.

Yeah - in my PC playthrough I just did the part where you pick up Beta, and Beta's plan only works because the other Zeniths are ignorant about how GAIA stuff works and bought Beta's lie about needing the GAIA kernel to...do something I can't remember, but it was something that didn't actually require it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've finished all the base game side quests & errands I can find, as well as all the salvage contracts - anything else I ought to do or get before starting the DLC?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A short way into the DLC you unlock the ability to return to the main map so starting the DLC will not cut you off from anything

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ah, good - wasn't sure how long until i could come back. cheers

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

haveblue posted:

A short way into the DLC you unlock the ability to return to the main map so starting the DLC will not cut you off from anything

That's good to know. I really don't like it when games don't signpost a Point of No Return, or don't make it obvious when a decision will lock you out of significant content - unless the game is short enough that it's easy enough to play through a second time.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Its not uncommon for people to ask about that since the game sometimes makes it sound that way. especially when embarking on the last mission, where it asks you at two points if there is anything i need to do and confirm it in the dialogue tree. but what they really mean is if youre geared up enough for a somewhat lengthy and difficult storymission.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Falukorv posted:

Its not uncommon for people to ask about that since the game sometimes makes it sound that way. especially when embarking on the last mission, where it asks you at two points if there is anything i need to do and confirm it in the dialogue tree. but what they really mean is if youre geared up enough for a somewhat lengthy and difficult storymission.

I think CP2077 did it pretty well in the base game, it was very clear when you were going to be on rails for the rest of the game. I don't remember if it automatically saved the game for you (I think it did), but it was as clear as can be.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
There’s also a nice little character reason to go back to the main map during the dlc, although the game doesn’t tell you about it: (big spoiler for the main game) after every main mission in burning shores, if you go back to the grave outside your base, aloy will talk to her late friend about her experiences in LA and how she’s feeling.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While trying to integrate sliding into my evasive maneuvers, I've run into an issue where I'll frequently mess up and press crouch while I'm not yet dashing, making me suddenly slow down and eat poo poo.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Apraxin posted:

There’s also a nice little character reason to go back to the main map during the dlc, although the game doesn’t tell you about it: (big spoiler for the main game) after every main mission in burning shores, if you go back to the grave outside your base, aloy will talk to her late friend about her experiences in LA and how she’s feeling.

She does this in the first game too if you go back to visit Rost's grave periodically. I discovered it on my second playthrough and it actually adds a lot to that relationship

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I avoid that by toggling auto-run in accessibility settings.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Blew my mind that with autorun on I can still use L3 to get out of the crouch position after a slide (instead of pressing square again which is less fluid for the fingers)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Febreeze posted:

She does this in the first game too if you go back to visit Rost's grave periodically. I discovered it on my second playthrough and it actually adds a lot to that relationship

exquisite tea posted:

I avoid that by toggling auto-run in accessibility settings.

Talk about running from your problems!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, fighting big enemies in close quarters in a pain in the rear end. Had an awful time fighting one of those shell guys (not the turtle one, the one with the lightning shield) in a Cauldron, because I couldn't really outrange its attacks.

Was actually harder than fighting a turtle guy in an open area, since you can at least avoid most of its stuff from range.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Shredder Gauntlet is so much fun. Think I'm going to try to go heavy on stuff I mostly ignored in my original playthrough, like that and Warrior Bow. I'm also trying to remember to actually use my weapon skills and Valor surges this time around. Even though it's probably not optimal, I kind of want to use the DLC one that tosses out a bunch of traps. The Hunter's Mark one also seems fun, though I imagine most are outperformed by Ranged Master or the critical damage one if you have a fancy weapon with powerful weaves.

The chain blast valor surge does some hilarious stuff in certain places. During the defense of the Kulrut you can really take advantage of it while all the machines are grouped up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How do you get Defensive overridden machines to attack? I'm getting hosed up by these Clamberjaws right next to my raptor, and he's just sitting there doing nothing. I assumed "Defensive" meant they'd fight things that attack me, but apparently not.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Defensive is more like Passive and Aggressive is basically their normal AI, afaict.

Defensive makes a lot more sense for lil mounts who you really don't want fighting at all.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Every time I unmount my aggressive clawstrider, they go off to fight the last machines we passed and usually I only realize what happened when I see the experience come up or my call mount button is red :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Raptors will barely do anything in defensive mode because they count as a mount type, which has a very passive AI. To get those little terrors to start tearing poo poo up you have to set them to aggressive, and they WILL kill everything on sight.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

My horrible child has cleared another rebel camp unprompted and all I've left to do is rake up the viscera

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I do love when I have to dismount before entering a village and then they just run around in the background of any cutscenes looking for enemies to gently caress up

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Wow the difficulty in the DLC really ramps up, just squads of apex bullshit ready to push my poo poo in at every opportunity.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Raptors will barely do anything in defensive mode because they count as a mount type, which has a very passive AI. To get those little terrors to start tearing poo poo up you have to set them to aggressive, and they WILL kill everything on sight.

Oh, that must be why then. My raptor won't even attack enemies I shoot with a Targeting Arrow. The only time he attacks is immediately after getting hit by an enemy in melee (and even then it's iffy).

I remember my raptor destroying everything when I first played this on PS5, so I guess I'll have to find another and tame it as Aggressive.

Speaking of override, Burrowers are surprisingly decent, because they'll start fights with this powerful ranged attack that can one-shot stuff like Longlegs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You don’t have to find a new raptor. You can just smack the Clawstrider until it becomes hostile, then disable and override it again as aggressive. Do make sure it’s an elemental one though since they do so much more damage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

You don’t have to find a new raptor. You can just smack the Clawstrider until it becomes hostile, then disable and override it again as aggressive. Do make sure it’s an elemental one though since they do so much more damage.

Mine is acid, yeah. And that makes sense, I can just knock it down after having it aggro. Just loses me the repair shards I think (unless they automatically heal if you fast travel somewhere and summon them or something?).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mounts will auto-heal if you fast travel far enough away for them to despawn.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Megera posted:

I do love when I have to dismount before entering a village and then they just run around in the background of any cutscenes looking for enemies to gently caress up

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That cartoon isn't accurate. He instead dashes away from the entrance and aggroes a nearby pack of 4 Bellowbacks.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i prefer when the human AI does stupid poo poo

me, fighting the shellsnapper outside cauldron kappa: wtf is this random tenakth patrol doing here. this is not a place you want to be

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
there is a npc patrol north of scalding spear whose sole purpose seem to be to draw out the buried slitherfang, thank you for your service.

Speaking of overrides, stalkers and bellowbacks were surpisingly good allies the few times i overrid them. Their AI plays well to their stregths

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 14, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
finished the game proper and the credits was pretty enough for me to sit through despite having done my own sunwing tour of the map west of plainsong before singularity

whoever said it earlier wasn't kidding about the DLC upping the difficulty. at level 58 that first frog fucker ate my entire pouch full of 6 large health potions, which okay, idk how to fight it yet, but drat

also the DLC "vista points" are way better than the actual game ones, holy hell those things suck. i'll whine about the arena and hunting grounds being poorly balanced for higher difficulties but at least they're more or less fun to lose at. the main game vista points are some zero reward pixel hunt nonsense that are a pale comparison to the HZD apocashitstorm tour tapes

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah a couple of the vistas I had to YouTube to find the exact spot it wanted me in because I couldn't line them up right lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The giveaway is usually finding the next man-made platform in sight. The stupid Las Vegas one took me forever (and still does lmao).

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
A lot of them I would try to do legit and then get tired of trying and look it up and find out that the spot it wanted me in was 0.1 microns to the left of a spot I had already tried and that's when I decided that that poo poo was stupid.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

whoever said it earlier wasn't kidding about the DLC upping the difficulty.

I want to say the DLC also likes to have mixed machine packs more than the base game. I'm not sure that's actually true the more I think about the game though. It certainly feels like it in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Game performed well on steamdeck until dlc which is too taxing. Makes sense considering the development but rip. Got one apex bilegut down just to say I did but I’m done now. Good game, good job making it. Glad I went through on the hardest setting to start because I don’t feel the need for new game+ stuff with a game this long already