Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Time posted:

Game performed well on steamdeck until dlc which is too taxing. Makes sense considering the development but rip. Got one apex bilegut down just to say I did but I’m done now. Good game, good job making it. Glad I went through on the hardest setting to start because I don’t feel the need for new game+ stuff with a game this long already

oh yeah the first big DLC fight made my 3080Ti chug, which doesnt bode well for the big "we literally couldnt do this on PS4" end boss. guess ill live dropping settings down somewhat

i will probably do a NG+ to actually do ultra hard (still kinda kicking myself for not sticking with it, the difficulty curve is way steeper early on) with all the gear, though i doubt ill grind out the legendary upgrades before--maybe one or two, but that poo poo takes forever

sad that arena progress isn't retained for that though. i'd like to play through the fights properly. i cheesed it on story because i didn't wanna waste a fuckton of shards to retry the fixed loadout fights for gear/unlocking the other fights, and a lot of the open loadout ones feel like they'd actually be interesting to play properly (though story difficulty "everything dies in 20s with one well-placed advanced explosive spike" mode is pretty hilarious in its own right)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ytlaya posted:

Shredder Gauntlet is so much fun.

I don't think the game gets enough credit for this weapon. Normally in videogames, especially FPS and 3rd-person shooters, we just get the same weapon archetypes over and over but this was unique and so rad. "Play Frisbee with a monster and if you do a successful rally you get some great damage / armour penetration" is an awesome idea! It reminds me of using the Master Sword against Agahnim in Link to the Past, but obviously expanded and complicated a lot more.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The upgrades aren’t that bad after you beat the game. Set the weapon as your current quest, fast travel to the closest campfire, then fly the rest of the way. Kill whatever for whatever part. Just make sure you read beforehand if there is something you have to do, or not do, to get the part. Some require to tear a certain part or not to burst a certain part. For even quicker drop the difficulty to story.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

oh yeah the first big DLC fight made my 3080Ti chug, which doesnt bode well for the big "we literally couldnt do this on PS4" end boss. guess ill live dropping settings down somewhat

i will probably do a NG+ to actually do ultra hard (still kinda kicking myself for not sticking with it, the difficulty curve is way steeper early on) with all the gear, though i doubt ill grind out the legendary upgrades before--maybe one or two, but that poo poo takes forever

sad that arena progress isn't retained for that though. i'd like to play through the fights properly. i cheesed it on story because i didn't wanna waste a fuckton of shards to retry the fixed loadout fights for gear/unlocking the other fights, and a lot of the open loadout ones feel like they'd actually be interesting to play properly (though story difficulty "everything dies in 20s with one well-placed advanced explosive spike" mode is pretty hilarious in its own right)

The fixed loadout arena fights are just kinda tedious on UH as they were never really rebalanced for the additional machine health and damage. Most rely on some pretty cheesy strats to beat. I cleared them all on PS5 but I shan’t be doing them here!

Most of the arena weapons were made obsolete by Burning Shores and NG+ anyway. Once you have enough tokens to buy Carja Stalker Elite, you have won Horizon Forbidden Fashion.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

jabro posted:

The upgrades aren’t that bad after you beat the game. Set the weapon as your current quest, fast travel to the closest campfire, then fly the rest of the way. Kill whatever for whatever part. Just make sure you read beforehand if there is something you have to do, or not do, to get the part. Some require to tear a certain part or not to burst a certain part. For even quicker drop the difficulty to story.

It's not hard, it's just absurdly time consuming if you are a completionist. I have a ton of downtime while working from home so I was grinding all the weapons to upgrade and I decided after a few weeks of it that it just wasn't gonna happen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think my favorite part of Forbidden West's plot is the reveal that all the Tenakth cultural stuff is based around a highly biased retelling of this goofy incident where some mining magnate funded armed resistance against relocation due to global warming rendering the southwest uninhabitable.

The scene after you get AETHER where the hologram reactivates and all the Tenakth are treating it as a religious event is very funny. You can sort of see Aloy being like "I guess this is fine, since it's a positive influence." It makes sense that they'd interpret it in the way they did (since it tells a story of humans battling machines), but it's still very funny.

Another similar thing I found pretty clever is how Quen society is based around a flawed understanding of history stemming from them gaining access to a bunch of older model Focuses. So they only know what happened prior to everything leading up to the Faro Plague.

Lobok posted:

I don't think the game gets enough credit for this weapon. Normally in videogames, especially FPS and 3rd-person shooters, we just get the same weapon archetypes over and over but this was unique and so rad. "Play Frisbee with a monster and if you do a successful rally you get some great damage / armour penetration" is an awesome idea! It reminds me of using the Master Sword against Agahnim in Link to the Past, but obviously expanded and complicated a lot more.

Btw speaking of Shredder Gauntlet, I learned a couple things (plus a third I already knew), the first of which is a complete gamechanger:

- Shredders return in the direction you're moving when you throw them. So if you're sidestepping to the left when you throw one, it will return to the left. Somehow I never noticed this. Previously I would try to stand still since I was worried I'd be moving too fast in the wrong direction (which is probably why I didn't notice this). It's a complete gamechanger for using them at close range (which is also where you can do some of the best damage, since you can get in hits much faster).

- Elemental shredders have a bigger shred radius and still do good damage (as opposed to most other elemental ammo which usually is only good for applying the elemental status).

- I already knew this one, but in case other people don't, the final 4th shredder throw acts sorta like a tearblast arrow. It doesn't destroy components, and only knocks them off (and in a huge radius).

Shredder Gauntlets are really good, and also extremely resource efficient, since if you catch your shots each ammo does a *ton* of damage.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 15, 2024

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I think my favorite part of Forbidden West's plot is the reveal that all the Tenakth cultural stuff is based around a highly biased retelling of this goofy incident where some mining magnate funded armed resistance against relocation due to global warming rendering the southwest uninhabitable.

The scene after you get AETHER where the hologram reactivates and all the Tenakth are treating it as a religious event is very funny. You can sort of see Aloy being like "I guess this is fine, since it's a positive influence." It makes sense that they'd interpret it in the way they did (since it tells a story of humans battling machines), but it's still very funny.

Another similar thing I found pretty clever is how Quen society is based around a flawed understanding of history stemming from them gaining access to a bunch of older model Focuses. So they only know what happened prior to everything leading up to the Faro Plague.

Yeah both of those were great, especially the first.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

My favorite part was when Aloy decides to do a little domestic terrorism and the Tenakth are like “yeah that was actually pretty awesome.”

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Finished all the way through Burning Shores main quest over the weekend, a very solid experience. I played the entire thing on Linux via Proton, and it was almost entirely flawless throughout. Occasional graphical glitches during dialogue cutscenes, but never during gameplay, and no crashes at all. This game was my big litmus test to see if I could drop my Windows partition and switch over to Linux entirely for gaming, and it passed with flying colors. I'm running a necessarily idiosyncratic Gentoo installation, too, not a standardized SteamOS or Ubuntu setup, so it's doubly impressive. Although Steam and Proton are pretty self-contained once they're installed, so it's probably pretty solid across distributions unless you're messing around with an alternative libc or something.

I love the game and the core gameplay loop enough that I'm going through the motions of maxing out some legendaries for an eventual NG+ playthrough, but there were plenty of small frustrations that keep me from calling it a 10/10 game. Details in the world geometry present unnecessary obstacles both during combat and mounted travel. Rolled into a rock or a tree behind you mid-fight? Oops, too bad, stay stuck for a moment while enemy machine charges you at ramming speed. Same thing if your mount encounters, say, a protruding log that's all too common in Tenakth territory, or a sharp curve up a mountainside. Too much to negotiate for its shorted-out little machine brain, looks like you better spur it back into action even though you were running free a second ago, hope you didn't aggro that last pack of machines you passed! This latter is especially sad, because the mounted pathfinding is otherwise excellent. It seems like the intent was that you could set your destination marker and watch the world go by hands-free, and that was certainly what I tried to do far more often than I used fast travel, but the mount would get stuck far too often for this to be fully realized. It definitely seems like there was a disconnect between the art team and the gameplay team or the testers, and the game was only being tested so late that there was no time to go back and fix it. All the many little geometry details are part of what makes this game so beautiful, but I hope they're well aware of the resulting gameplay hangups and prepared to clean it up for the next game.

Likewise, the more complex combat and movement options kind of fell flat for me, a relatively casual gamer who played the first game back in 2021 and never did NG+ with it. I wanted to give melee + warrior bows a fair shot at the start of the game, but the nerfed dodge roll plus the lengthy knockdown and stun animations made me get trampled to death far too often to be fun, so I ended up on a hunter+sharpshot setup very similar to what I used in the first game. Count me among the many who glossed over the combat utility of sliding and wouldn't have ever bothered with it if not for this thread. I think a lot of players are only going to bother with the new combat options if they bother with NG+. If anything, Aloy's stun and knockdown animations were too long for my taste, and were what had me cussing at the screen more often than anything; especially during the final stage of the big boss fight at the end of Burning Shores. This isn't Guilty Gear, I'm not getting locked down in the corner by a skilled Sin or Bridget player, let me play the game. Whoever told them they should move in a Soulslike direction by having Aloy take her time getting back up had it wrong.

That said, I might not do it right away, but I am certainly inspired to do back to back NG+ runs of Zero Dawn and Forbidden West. I actually never bothered with Frozen Wilds the first time around, because I didn't realize it was meant to be completed before the final boss fight, but I will definitely have to go back and play that at the very least. That means I didn't know who Gildun was when he turned up, but his one quest had enough personality and character injected into it that I came away loving him anyway. It makes losing Lance Reddick feel like a fresh pain all over again, because Burning Shores having Sylens assert that they were going to need to delve the ruins of all these ancient defense contractors, plus having Gildun the crazy delver get signed up with the Focus squad, seems like they were telegraphing the greatest one-sided buddy comedy of all time for Horizon 3. And Sylens choking out that he actually appreciates Aloy's efforts and respects her as his final line of the DLC epilogue was just a total gut-punch.

Admiral Gerrit from Burning Shores was one character who stuck out as seriously underutilized, and I hope they bring him back for the next game. IMDB tells me that the voice actor, Mark Noble, also played Regis in Witcher 3... they 100% need to give him a bigger role. Definitely seems like he, Alva, and Seyka are being poised as the change agents for Quen society, and I would bet that means Quen territory will be a major setting. Wouldn't be surprised if the Zenith shuttle gets used as a travel system, or at least a travel MacGuffin.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

exquisite tea posted:

Most of the arena weapons were made obsolete by Burning Shores and NG+ anyway. Once you have enough tokens to buy Carja Stalker Elite, you have won Horizon Forbidden Fashion.

yeah this was 80% of the reason i cared about getting the armors other than the one Nora one that fits my playstyle, the apply look thing means FASHION TIME. sadly i have only one dye for Carja armor though

Medullah posted:

It's not hard, it's just absurdly time consuming if you are a completionist. I have a ton of downtime while working from home so I was grinding all the weapons to upgrade and I decided after a few weeks of it that it just wasn't gonna happen.

all the apex hearts are the main annoying thing, because you can only sorta influence when those variants show up, and even still you can spend 15m killing an apex bigmachine only to not have it drop a heart, if you didn't just get one-shot 75% of the way through (screw you, tremortusk shock explosion). fireclaw sac webbing is also a bit of a pain because the vulnerable area is huge and in the center mass, and you're more likely to get killed trying to carefully avoid popping it

istewart posted:

Same thing if your mount encounters, say, a protruding log that's all too common in Tenakth territory, or a sharp curve up a mountainside. Too much to negotiate for its shorted-out little machine brain, looks like you better spur it back into action even though you were running free a second ago, hope you didn't aggro that last pack of machines you passed! This latter is especially sad, because the mounted pathfinding is otherwise excellent. It seems like the intent was that you could set your destination marker and watch the world go by hands-free

eh, the sunwing mounts don't have this problem (though they do sometimes decide to transition to hovering for no obvious reason) and are by far the better way to chill traverse the map while having a snack. land mounts are more for having a portable death chicken and for the mounted archer bonuses, though yeah, their propensity to getting stuck on geometry makes me reluctant to try doing mongol aloy and run rings around a thunderjaw

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Wouldn't be surprised if the designer(s) who implemented mount traversal in Dragon Age Inquisition are the same who did it in H: FW. Getting stuck on tiny rocks is such a specific and impactful problem

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The mount controls are comically awful. My raptor just completely stops upon hitting even slightly uneven terrain. When I try to loot a machine while mounted (which is technically possible), it'll suddenly leap over it.

Just very frustrating all around and only really useful in wide open areas or roads.

istewart posted:

so I ended up on a hunter+sharpshot setup very similar to what I used in the first game.

Yeesh, that sounds miserable for the main game (where you don't have access to the sort gear/mods that can pump almost everything to super high damage).

It seems like the best DPS options, ignoring the stuff you can do with high-end equipment and weaves, are Spike-throwers, Shredder Gauntlets (if used correctly), Boltblasters, and I guess Warrior Bows using Spread Shot. Hunter Bows seem mostly intended for knocking off components or applying elements. Sharpshoot Bows seem to fall into a weird category in this, since you're usually not spending long fighting from long range and like 3/4 of enemies have helmets. I generally just use them as an opener, against distant flying enemies, or against humans while stealthing.

I feel like playing the original game may have made people overlook how OP the new (or improved in the case of Boltblasters IIRC?) weapons and weapon skills can be.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Really felt like Burning Shores played as a Prologue to Horizon 3 so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of those characters and the Quen back for a big part in the next game.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

It seems like the best DPS options, ignoring the stuff you can do with high-end equipment and weaves, are Spike-throwers, Shredder Gauntlets (if used correctly), Boltblasters, and I guess Warrior Bows using Spread Shot.

I didn't use any of those except spike-throwers in my first play-through, and really only in the final mission for those. I hated the boltblasters in the original game and didn't bother trying them in FW. Tried the gauntlets and gave up after I couldn't get the rhythm. Didn't care for the warrior bows either. I'm guessing 90% of my kills are via sharpshot bow.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Warrior Bows in conjunction with melee combos are wild. Shellsnappers went from annoying grinds of attrition to reasonable stages of dismantling

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In addition to mount stuff, one other gameplay thing that annoys me immensely is the fact that new tools are automatically added to your little selection wheel. So I can deposit all my lower-tier traps and stuff in my stash, but next time I loot one in the wild it gets added back.

Unless I'm missing something, it makes managing the wheel nearly impossible. I have no idea why they did things that way.

(Other aspects of that wheel also suck rear end, like the general size and style of the icons being hard to tell at a quick glance. I don't know why they didn't let you use a wheel similar to the weapon selection one instead)

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I didn't use any of those except spike-throwers in my first play-through, and really only in the final mission for those. I hated the boltblasters in the original game and didn't bother trying them in FW. Tried the gauntlets and gave up after I couldn't get the rhythm. Didn't care for the warrior bows either. I'm guessing 90% of my kills are via sharpshot bow.

Boltblasters are really good. I didn't use them for most of the game for the same reason as you, but I think they deliberately were responding to them being undertuned in Zero Dawn in this.

For raw DPS, I think Hunter Bows are actually better than Sharpshooter for at least a large portion of the game, since they get Advanced Hunter arrows long before Sharpshooter get Advanced Precision arrows and fire much faster.

isk posted:

Warrior Bows in conjunction with melee combos are wild. Shellsnappers went from annoying grinds of attrition to reasonable stages of dismantling

How do people play in melee like that? Seems risky to me, since it can be hard to quickly break out of the combo (and it seems like melee will always suffer from not being able to make itself OP with weaves and legendary weapon upgrades). Warrior Bows are definitely great, though, mainly due to Spread Shot (or whatever the 5-shot skill is).

I wanted to do more melee during my PC playthrough, but ended up finding it too awkward. Even with skill tree buffs, anything that isn't a Power Attack or final hit in a damage combo just seems to lightly tickle enemies, even on Normal.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 16, 2024

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

So I can deposit all my lower-tier traps and stuff in my stash, but next time I loot one in the wild it gets added back.

Unless I'm missing something, it makes managing the wheel nearly impossible. I have no idea why they did things that way.

Best solution I've found is to keep 'em in the inventory but remove 'em from the wheel. Suboptimal but it fixes the wheel at least

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

isk posted:

Best solution I've found is to keep 'em in the inventory but remove 'em from the wheel. Suboptimal but it fixes the wheel at least

Ahh, I considered this...still sucks, but better than the alternative I guess.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Ytlaya posted:

How do people play in melee like that? Seems risky to me, since it can be hard to quickly break out of the combo (and it seems like melee will always suffer from not being able to make itself OP with weaves and legendary weapon upgrades). Warrior Bows are definitely great, though, mainly due to Spread Shot (or whatever the 5-shot skill is).

I wanted to do more melee during my PC playthrough, but ended up finding it too awkward. Even with skill tree buffs, anything that isn't a Power Attack or final hit in a damage combo just seems to lightly tickle enemies, even on Normal.

After reading some tips in this thread I had a lot of success just abusing the melee followup boosts. Tap something with R1 and then unload in it's face with a Warrior Bow. I also used the warrior capstone valor surge for most of the game and it was very effective. Going for anything more than a single strike in melee vs. a machine was a recipe for getting pasted, so it's definitely not what you imagine when you think of a "melee" build. It's more of a close quarters style of gameplay using melee to boost your other damage.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The other advantage of tangoing in melee is that Warrior Bows and heavy spear attacks have high knockdown power, which sets up grapple strike --> critical strike --> tap R2 combos. ~1200 unanswerable damage and now the machine has two resonator blasts you can follow up with. Attaching elemental canisters adds to your knockdown power too, although I often forget to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHoXC-RhGRU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ytlaya posted:

The mount controls are comically awful. My raptor just completely stops upon hitting even slightly uneven terrain. When I try to loot a machine while mounted (which is technically possible), it'll suddenly leap over it.

Just very frustrating all around and only really useful in wide open areas or roads.

for how incredibly cool horse archers are as a concept, it's incredible that not a single game with both archers and horses* can make it fun. even Fromsoft dropped the ball.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mount and Blade horse archery is great.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I really enjoyed (mid- to late-game story spoiler) Cary-Ann Moss' Art History 101 lecture.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

I really enjoyed (mid- to late-game story spoiler) Cary-Ann Moss' Art History 101 lecture.

fuckin lol that it's only Dutch golden age stuff though. Guerilla doing a bit of sneaky nationalism right there

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
working through burning shores and i felt like the ~ dramatic tension ~ of aloy agonizing over not telling seyka about nemesis was undercut a little when, between missions, i ran into the delver from frozen wilds in the ruins and at the end aloy is just like, here's a focus, have fun talking to GAIA she can fill you in. lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how in Forbidden West you'll meet characters and tell them to "meet up with someone near the base" from a location that should be like 800 miles away given the weird map that's supposed to span a large portion of Western US. Like it's at all feasible to have your buddy meet this person.

Imagining Varl or whoever just standing around for 3 days waiting for Kotallo to arrive.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

In my mind I ignore that all the old world ruins are the right size and choose to believe the new atmosphere has late paleozoic era levels of oxygen because of the recent introduction of large plants, and thus Aloy and friends are all megafauna that can run across entire states.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
She doesn't even give em mounts to ride. Just expects them to walk all the way there

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If she can walk from Cheyenne mountain to Los Angeles you can too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
She didn't!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

People made a big deal when Alex Honnold free soloed El Capitan in 4 hours, meanwhile Aloy can do that poo poo in like 30 seconds.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

couldn't add burning shores but this is quite a trek.

spoilers: Aloy's travels

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Hey, it's only 16 days by bike!

It also causes me pain to watch Aloy scale snow-covered mountains barehanded.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 17, 2024

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Is FW or RDR2 the more compressed map?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I’m guessing based on Scalding Spear’s position on the map relative to other landmarks that it’s not actually the VLA in New Mexico but some fictional near-future solar array somewhere in the Mojave.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I’m guessing based on Scalding Spear’s position on the map relative to other landmarks that it’s not actually the VLA in New Mexico but some fictional near-future solar array somewhere in the Mojave.

Scalding spear is the crescent dunes solar energy project, the VLA is Plainsong.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Ytlaya posted:

I like how in Forbidden West you'll meet characters and tell them to "meet up with someone near the base" from a location that should be like 800 miles away given the weird map that's supposed to span a large portion of Western US. Like it's at all feasible to have your buddy meet this person.

Imagining Varl or whoever just standing around for 3 days waiting for Kotallo to arrive.

Don't forget Aloy herself sitting by a campfire waiting for Alva to walk across three states for her side quest.

Ytlaya posted:

Btw speaking of Shredder Gauntlet, I learned a couple things (plus a third I already knew), the first of which is a complete gamechanger:

- Shredders return in the direction you're moving when you throw them. So if you're sidestepping to the left when you throw one, it will return to the left. Somehow I never noticed this. Previously I would try to stand still since I was worried I'd be moving too fast in the wrong direction (which is probably why I didn't notice this). It's a complete gamechanger for using them at close range (which is also where you can do some of the best damage, since you can get in hits much faster).

I think its been shown that shredders actually follow your direction at the point at which they start to return. But if you're circle strafing the whole time it will very much have the same effect. Point is, pick a direction and stick to it.

Edit: Anyone else find that this game seems to have settlements that are almost designed to annoy with their layout? So many places that are separated by random ramps and verticality shifts. Would have been fine if there were more grapple points for boosting around, but they're just inexplicably not there.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 17, 2024

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

Scalding spear is the crescent dunes solar energy project, the VLA is Plainsong.

Yeah I don't think it's the VLA, just VLA inspired. It would be almost due south of the starting area in the first game. They've taken liberties with the relative locations of things, but that one would be pretty egregious. The geology of the area also makes no sense for the VLA.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fatty posted:

I think its been shown that shredders actually follow your direction at the point at which they start to return. But if you're circle strafing the whole time it will very much have the same effect. Point is, pick a direction and stick to it.

Yeah, exactly. This is a game-changer mainly because it makes short-range use viable/easy.

But it's not really intuitive, since a lot of people are going to do like I did and throw it while stationary, and then just come to the conclusion that it returns in a random direction (so I should stay far enough away that I'm prepared to catch it in either direction).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Olothreutes posted:

Yeah I don't think it's the VLA, just VLA inspired. It would be almost due south of the starting area in the first game. They've taken liberties with the relative locations of things, but that one would be pretty egregious. The geology of the area also makes no sense for the VLA.

it's helios one