Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

site posted:

it's helios one

Sorry, I don't think Plainsong is the VLA, scalding spear seems correct-ish. Not sure I was very clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Fatty posted:

Edit: Anyone else find that this game seems to have settlements that are almost designed to annoy with their layout? So many places that are separated by random ramps and verticality shifts. Would have been fine if there were more grapple points for boosting around, but they're just inexplicably not there.

YES. Navigating the towns sucks. I have no idea why they made them that way.

Poltroon
Dec 15, 2008

Fatty posted:

I think its been shown that shredders actually follow your direction at the point at which they start to return. But if you're circle strafing the whole time it will very much have the same effect. Point is, pick a direction and stick to it.

Yeah, I really think the tutorial could've done a better job telegraphing the directionality. I avoided it for most of the game because it just felt unnecessarily complicated for how chaotic some fights actually get, but understanding the sweet spot — mid-range, keep running in the same direction — made it one of my favorite weapons. You can really clown on some of the big baddies once you figure out the sweet spot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Another little trick with shredders is that the explosion from an elemental burst only applies more buildup, so when your shredder is fully primed you can switch to impact/tear ammo for more damage.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Shooting Blanks posted:

YES. Navigating the towns sucks. I have no idea why they made them that way.

the major settlements are designed to look cool, not for you to spend much time in. the bulwark not having pullcaster targets everywhere is bullshit

fortunately aside from the initial round of "ooh this looks cool" and picking up quests there's not much reason to spend much time in them, though i forget which other towns have painters/dyers and good food options

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Painters only seem to exist in the three clan capitals, which is a pain. Also your facepaint should wash off if you go underwater.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Hey, it's only 16 days by bike!

It also causes me pain to watch Aloy scale snow-covered mountains barehanded.

And watch the Banuk standing there with no sleeves and low necklines while snow builds up on their skin

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the two biggest gameplay "revelations" on my PC playthrough have been "how to use shredders" and "drill spikes to the legs to super quickly knock down machines."

Poltroon posted:

Yeah, I really think the tutorial could've done a better job telegraphing the directionality. I avoided it for most of the game because it just felt unnecessarily complicated for how chaotic some fights actually get, but understanding the sweet spot — mid-range, keep running in the same direction — made it one of my favorite weapons. You can really clown on some of the big baddies once you figure out the sweet spot.

Once you understand how it works, there isn't really a sweet spot (beyond not wanting to be excessively far) - you can just do it almost point blank.

That's where the really crazy damage can happen, since you can super quickly charge to the final shot.

exquisite tea posted:

Another little trick with shredders is that the explosion from an elemental burst only applies more buildup, so when your shredder is fully primed you can switch to impact/tear ammo for more damage.

Huh, I thought changing ammo would reset the process. That's really good if it doesn't.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 18, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think the complexity of all the weapons in HFW is really interesting but when they make Horizon 3 I think GG should let you pick an archetype for Aloy early on and give you the 2-3 starter weapons that most correspond to that playstyle so that new players can explore those interactions in a more dedicated way than shooting at a machine once with an unupgraded Warrior Bow, concluding "this sucks" and never trying it again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

exquisite tea posted:

I think the complexity of all the weapons in HFW is really interesting but when they make Horizon 3 I think GG should let you pick an archetype for Aloy early on and give you the 2-3 starter weapons that most correspond to that playstyle so that new players can explore those interactions in a more dedicated way than shooting at a machine once with an unupgraded Warrior Bow, concluding "this sucks" and never trying it again.

Or let us craft our own weapon with the 3 ammo types we want on it. But no, I'm sure we're gonna get "This bow has Sharpshot Arrows and Improved Sharpshot arrows. This one has Improved Sharpshot arrows and Improved Improved Sharpshot arrows"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the game would be better if you removed the crafting/upgrading/gear scaling elements completely. Horizon Zero Dawn was way more fun on NG+ when you could just completely ignore that aspect of the game (except for a last few marginal mods maybe) and i expect the same will be true here

Medullah posted:

Or let us craft our own weapon with the 3 ammo types we want on it. But no, I'm sure we're gonna get "This bow has Sharpshot Arrows and Improved Sharpshot arrows. This one has Improved Sharpshot arrows and Improved Improved Sharpshot arrows"

although if you MUST have crafting this is a way better idea than the incoherent grab bag of elemental distribution in HFW's existing weapons.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I wouldn't mind like, 2 or 3 upgrade tracks for gear instead of 5. At least gives you an excuse to go out and hunt machines that aren't part of a quest but avoids most of the "fast travel back and forth from campfires and save/load" annoying busywork. That was definitely the worst part of upgrading all of the weapons.

Oh, and remove/lessen the apex heart requirements for some. Maybe just the last track requires 1 or 2 to prevent more of the campfire > make it night drudgery.

Martian Manfucker fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 18, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Martian Manfucker posted:

I wouldn't mind like, 2 or 3 upgrade tracks for gear instead of 5. At least gives you an excuse to go out and hunt machines that aren't part of a quest but avoids most of the "fast travel back and forth from campfires and save/load" annoying busywork. That was definitely the worst part of upgrading all of the weapons.

Oh, and remove/lessen the apex heart requirements for some. Maybe just the last track requires 1 or 2 to prevent more of the campfire > make it night drudgery.

A big problem is that it's just such a pain in the dick to compare different weapons so it's not cut and dry which one is better when fully upgraded. I can't remember which it is, but there's a Sharpshooter purple bow that is better for straight DPS than the Legendary one, so if you're truly min/maxing it's not just "better color = better bow"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i think it's hunter bows, not sharpshot -- the Marshal Hunter Bow with its mathematically optimal mods outperforms Death-Seeker's Shadow with the same by like 12% on average, but only if you assume you get the full overdraw and concentration bonuses on the Marshal Bow 100% of the time and also that you completely ignore the "damage against shocked / burning" and "damage against knocked down" conditional bonuses

it also assumes you're bothering to measure hunter bows by their impact damage in the first place

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The weapon wheel bothered me as much as anything else in HFW. With 6 weapons, 3 different ammo types per weapon, that's 18 potential picks on the wheel. Each individual selection has only 20° of arc - the frequency with which I grabbed the wrong ammo type (or weapon) in the middle of a fight was far, far too high.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

The weapon wheel bothered me as much as anything else in HFW. With 6 weapons, 3 different ammo types per weapon, that's 18 potential picks on the wheel. Each individual selection has only 20° of arc - the frequency with which I grabbed the wrong ammo type (or weapon) in the middle of a fight was far, far too high.

Oh yeah, that was another solution I had. Rather than spotting weapons to the wheel, let me slot a specific ammo type from a specific weapon, so I could use the useful ammo and not have to have a cluttered weapon wheel with stuff I never used. Like, I never once used the arrows that make your overridden machine attack a specific target, but those were on a bow I DID use.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

If you just want to get the farming part over with I'd say just drop the difficulty to story or easy and make sure easy loot is turned on. That won't fix the apex heart issues but it will save you a lot of trouble on stormbird cannons and dreadwing fangs. You can even do custom difficulty with it turned on but very hard enemies if you want the fight but not the "tear off this one part, or maybe don't" minigame.

As far as apex hearts go the machine catalog will give you drop % for them, it's 100% for the really nasty stuff but things like scorchers and frostclaws are more like 66%.

Alternatively for all of this you can just get one of each thing and use the arena glitch/exploit to clone them.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 18, 2024

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I don't mind the farming bit, the combat is great and dunking on robots is basically the best part of the game, but agreed on having to wrangle everything onto the weapon wheel. I'm like halfway through the playthrough still using a warrior bow I got like an hour in to pop shock canisters because I haven't found anything else with shock arrows that would be worth investing in.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i think it's hunter bows, not sharpshot -- the Marshal Hunter Bow with its mathematically optimal mods outperforms Death-Seeker's Shadow with the same by like 12% on average, but only if you assume you get the full overdraw and concentration bonuses on the Marshal Bow 100% of the time and also that you completely ignore the "damage against shocked / burning" and "damage against knocked down" conditional bonuses

it also assumes you're bothering to measure hunter bows by their impact damage in the first place

12%?!! What are the Mathematically Optimal Mods for this?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Yeah the combat is fantastic and I enjoyed machine hunting for parts,. It's just the travel time and menu-ing required when you are needing to farm multiple of the same part that got really tiresome. And just the huge amount of materials required if you wanted a fully upgraded weapon wheel and outfit choices.

I ended up legit farming 5 of the 6 weapons I was using and then just used a cheat engine table to give me the mats for the last one because I was so tired of save/loading.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

12%?!! What are the Mathematically Optimal Mods for this?

knock yourself out

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/ttw2bv/death_seekers_shadow_vs_marshal_hunter_bow/

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

exquisite tea posted:

The last throw also produces a big tearblast and explosive damage, i think its often worth it to throw the last shredder, if im reading this right

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Aloy holding up a whole goddamn fighter jet lmao.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, Apex Tremortusks go down so easily to Shock Shredder ammo. Using Ancestor's Return (but not fully upgraded, only on the third upgrade), it just spent like 2/3 of the fight Shocked. In general it seems to apply Shock super fast to anything that isn't strongly resistant, while also doing good damage.

Also, I tried the fully upgraded Valor Surge that throws out all the mines, and it's very silly and seems objectively better than the AoE damage one in nearly all circumstances.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
congrats on getting the girl, gayloy

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Loved the main game and DLC. Really liked the character growth among everyone and this:

site posted:

congrats on getting the girl, gayloy

Hoping the 3rd is closer than we think. I would like to finish this nice story.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm pretty dumb about this sort of thing but even I thought it was pretty obvious since the first game that Aloy was gay as hell, given her reactions to the several men who fall in love with her.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm pretty dumb about this sort of thing but even I thought it was pretty obvious since the first game that Aloy was gay as hell, given her reactions to the several men who fall in love with her.

[Smiles in Eren face]

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
she's Aloysbian. :dadjoke:

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Thought she might be a bit bi, given her reaction to Varl getting with Zo. Like she's finally realised what had been there all along.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 22, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Except for one line in the optional conversation with Petra right before the final battle, I spent the entire first game thinking aloy was ace

site fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 22, 2024

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Finished the main game. The fight against Erik was satisfying in a "I have had quite enough of your poo poo and now I'm going to turn you into a pincushion" way. And then Zo with the final gently caress you..

Also this is probably the prettiest game I have ever played. The credits sequence was just gorgeous.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fatty posted:

Thought she might be a bit bi, given her reaction to Varl getting with Zo. Like she's finally realised what had been there all along.

I never really got romantic vibes between Varl and Aloy, from either side. I interpreted Aloy's reaction to the Zo thing as more "Aloy being somewhat shocked at remembering that romantic relationships are even a thing."

site posted:

Except for one line in the optional conversation with Petra right before the final battle, I spent the entire first game thinking aloy was ace

This also would have been my read, absent the Burning Shores stuff.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the burning shores plot feels less interesting than frozen wilds, and apocalypse jungle LA is less interesting territory than frozen yellowstone, but drat i do not miss those goddamn hexagon routing puzzles

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I never really got romantic vibes between Varl and Aloy, from either side. I interpreted Aloy's reaction to the Zo thing as more "Aloy being somewhat shocked at remembering that romantic relationships are even a thing."

Yeah I read that scene as Aloy's surprise and even somewhat resentment at how quickly Varl and Zo are able to form a meaningful relationship. "It comes so easy for other people, why can't I?" that kind of thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My long-shot romance speculation is that Erend has a thing for Aloy but also fully realizes it wouldn't come to anything.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

:pcgaming:

Died a million times, almost everything one-shot me for the whole game, had tons of health and enough elemental resistance that taking the time to proc them generally didn't seem worth it. Did all the side quests/errands, all the fighter pits, every machine override besides Razorspine/Fireclaw, only one of the hunting grounds since the requirements for the second one looked annoying. Still a few things to mop up like rebel camps and black boxes, the boxes don't seem all that valuable but maybe there's a special reward for clearing all the camps. Like the first game fighting humans was never as enjoyable as fighting machines but the improved melee and combos helped a lot. Tried to use shredders multiple times but generally combat just felt too hectic to really engage with the sub-game of catching the disk and throwing it back repeatedly. Ended up mostly used spike throwers and a purple precision bow along with the Nora armor that gives a bunch of concentration bonuses. Never engaged with the arena to get the legendary gear but the handful of level 1 legendaries and upgraded blue/purple equipment was good enough.

Glad they went with a proper final boss this time instead of a miniboss with increased health and adds. Ran into a bug where my inventory was draining between reloads and ended up without much besides a warrior bow to slowly plink away 30-40 health at a time but I made it work. All its attacks have clear enough tells that I was able to dodge everything and get a perfect run even if the fight still took about 20 minutes.

Story was mostly well written but never reached the heights of the first game, no scenes equivalent to the reveal of Zero Dawn or Faro killing the ALPHAs. Mainly I thought Far Zenith were kind of a letdown. The only one with any personality is Space Tilda Swinton and even then she's a bit flat for a millennia-old superhuman. Buzz cut guy is a boring grunt and I can't remember a single thing Gerard said despite him being the leader of the whole operation. These people have modified themselves to live for thousands of years and traveled between stars, they should be all hosed up and weird at this point.

The Ted Faro part was silly and they probably should have either skipped it or played it differently. In HZD humanity was destroyed because of his arrogance in a way that felt relatable and realistic, HFW making it explicit that he retreated to a sex cult bunker and slowly turned into a Gil Alexander mutant over the course of 10,000 years is hard shoving his character into the realm of cartoonish. At least that section was short and mostly self-contained.

Dipped my toe in the DLC enough to see BIG FROG but might wait a bit before really committing to it. I enjoyed the base game but there was a lot to get through, feels like I could have finished HZD twice in the same amount of time.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

site posted:

You get an option to blueball Seyka in Burning Shores, it's perfectly fine for that characterization

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I read it that Varl still really really likes Aloy, it's just that he can more easily form connections with Zo. And Zo knows that part of Varl really likes Aloy, and she likes Aloy too, and she's mature and has lived in a hippy community for long enough that she's confident in her relationships that it never bothers her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Aloy seems like an easy person to develop a crush on after she saves your life and your entire civilization but a difficult person to actually be friends with.