Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
My partner was obsessed with the Apex Predators challenge on Very Hard, I think she eventually beat it in under the recommended time and it put her somewhere in the top 200 on the global leaderboard. poo poo's hard as hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
In some respects can be even harder than on UH, since UH gives Aloy a damage boost in the Arena. Youre more squishy, sure, ut you can kill things faster (often reflected in the leaderboard results, often shorter recordholder times on UH's leaderboard than VH's). Or requires more endurance at least.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
By the way did they ever follow up on who or what Rost was hunting through the Forbidden West?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

General Battuta posted:

Even if her upbringing somehow had no queer people (seems unlikely since they occur naturally!) five seconds with Petra would be enough education for anyone

I thought HZD showed a pretty strong difference between how Aloy reacted to men hitting on her and how she reacted to women, but that difference didn't (imo) have to be a reaction of sexual preference or even sexual interest — it might've been Aloy being less wary of women for whatever reason. Which is kind of weird when you think about it, she's from a matriarchal society, you wouldn't expect Vigilance Against Sex Pests to be a huge part of her upbringing.

Then again HZD's fictional world is embedded inside ours, where women definitely are more wary of men (for good reason) so maybe Aloy is reflecting that...also Carja society is patriarchal, inn't? So maybe Aloy's just not about those vibes?

Anyway I think Kotallo has tremendous BDE welp that's all from me goons

Her upbringing didn't include any examples of queer romantic relationships but it also didn't include any examples straight ones. She probably learned the basics of human reproduction from Rost and her focus, but Erend hitting on her at the proving was probably the first time not only she had been hit on, but the first time she'd seen anyone act sexually or romantically towards another person. That said, I kinda thought she'd hook up with Talanah

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

By the way did they ever follow up on who or what Rost was hunting through the Forbidden West?

Not directly. The only mention of Rost's time in the Forbidden West comes from a legendary bow you can find in the arena, implying that he found his way there at one point.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Unless you're talking about something else, the character Wiki (for what it's worth) says, and I'll spoil this just to be overly safe, that he was anointed "Death Seeker" and allowed to leave Nora territory to retrieve the bodies of his partner and abducted child (who was eventually murdered). He hunted the raiders who were responsible for a year before returning heavily wounded. I have no idea if that's official, the article doesn't say what the source is.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Unless you're talking about something else, the character Wiki (for what it's worth) says, and I'll spoil this just to be overly safe, that he was anointed "Death Seeker" and allowed to leave Nora territory to retrieve the bodies of his partner and abducted child (who was eventually murdered). He hunted the raiders who were responsible for a year before returning heavily wounded. I have no idea if that's official, the article doesn't say what the source is.

The source is in game, relatively late in HZD. It's a conversation with one of the leaders (matriarchs?) of the Nora - Aloy returns to her homeland for some reason, there's a fight, and she informs said leaders about what she wants to do. You have an opportunity to ask about Rost, and it's explained then.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Yeah so we got nothing. Like there was speculation that the people who attacked the Sacred Lands were responsible for the Extinction Signal and The Derangement, but that's clearly not the case. So maybe instead it's some bullshit Sylens pulled off when he was young, and he never got got by Rost.

As for item descriptions, I don't think there's any useful information there, considering that we start hearing of the Quen loooong before we even meet them. I was partially spoiled on them, and initially thought they were the descendants of an earlier wave of Zenith colonists who regressed to primitive tech, rather than the technobarbarian Zhou dynasty chinese empire.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

exquisite tea posted:

Not directly. The only mention of Rost's time in the Forbidden West comes from a legendary bow you can find in the arena, implying that he found his way there at one point.
There's a strong implications that whoever attacked knew just who the Nora were and was acquainted with all of their traditions, taboos, etc.

They slaughtered the hostages juuuuust beyond the forbidden lands barrier that the Nora couldn't cross, for example

Maybe an earlier draft of part 2 had an antagonistic group like Sylens that was more aware of the state of the world and was looking for cradles/Alpha installations

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

One issue with that theory is that the raiding party predates the Mysterious Signal by at least several years, and it was Sylens' discovery of HADES that really set all his plans into motion. Not theoretically impossible, but Sylens was always more of an opportunist than a killer.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Air Skwirl posted:

Her upbringing didn't include any examples of queer romantic relationships but it also didn't include any examples straight ones

Rost is an outcast because he left Nora turf to avenge his wife and daughter. Aloy is an outcast because she has no mom. She also has a focus. There is a 0% chance she doesn’t understand human sexuality.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

exquisite tea posted:

One issue with that theory is that the raiding party predates the Mysterious Signal by at least several years, and it was Sylens' discovery of HADES that really set all his plans into motion. Not theoretically impossible, but Sylens was always more of an opportunist than a killer.

I hope we get more information about what happened in the third game. It would’ve been nice to get a little something in this one and then conclude it in the third game.

IIRC, Rost went all the way to the Forbidden West to kill all of them, right?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Correct. And was successful, according to Teersa.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I get the impression that the education given to the first gen of zero-dawn babies, basic and inadequate as it was, at least taught tolerance and acceptance.

And, well, I can understand the devs being unwilling to go within ten feet of the question of whether widespread racism, sexism, and homophobia arose from the material conditions of caveman societies, or feudalism, or from religions, or are some sort of human default; we’re makin a robo-dino hunting game here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The more technologically advanced societies in Horizon also tend to be the most classist and sexist, so they got that part right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

General Battuta posted:

Rost is an outcast because he left Nora turf to avenge his wife and daughter. Aloy is an outcast because she has no mom. She also has a focus. There is a 0% chance she doesn’t understand human sexuality.

I just meant she had zero real life examples of it. Kids learn a lot by watching their parents and other family in relationships, or older kids at school, she would have none of that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kazzah posted:

I get the impression that the education given to the first gen of zero-dawn babies, basic and inadequate as it was, at least taught tolerance and acceptance.

And, well, I can understand the devs being unwilling to go within ten feet of the question of whether widespread racism, sexism, and homophobia arose from the material conditions of caveman societies, or feudalism, or from religions, or are some sort of human default; we’re makin a robo-dino hunting game here.

Oseram are notably sexist.

That's the only "mainstream" identity discrimination I can think of off the top of my head, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Oseram are notably sexist.

That's the only "mainstream" identity discrimination I can think of off the top of my head, though.

Before the death of the Mad Sunlord female Karja weren't allowed to join the Hunter's lodge.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Carja are also a patriarchal society. Sun Kings can only be male, inheritance is passed down through sons, and only men are allowed to serve in the army.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

You gotta wonder how that came about, depending on which historians you believe patriarchy took a while to form IRL and was probably tied to some pretty specific historical situations I can’t really imagine happening post-GAIA. But hey…it’s a video game. (Still I’d be unironically into an in world explanation of how Carja gender systems developed)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

General Battuta posted:

You gotta wonder how that came about, depending on which historians you believe patriarchy took a while to form IRL and was probably tied to some pretty specific historical situations I can’t really imagine happening post-GAIA. But hey…it’s a video game. (Still I’d be unironically into an in world explanation of how Carja gender systems developed)

If you want to get anthropological about it, the likely explanation is the different material conditions the different tribes dealt with while forming their society, which we have way less info on than we do than the world immediately before everyone died. The Nora are matriarchal, the Banuc seem to have a split system of a political leader and a spiritual leader, generally the former being male and the latter being female. The tribes in the Forbidden West seem to be relatively neutral on the roles of men and women and the Quen you only see expedition crews which would be unlikely to be a sample of the society at large.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In human history, societies tended to become more patriarchal during the early Bronze Age, where mass agriculture led to the formation of great centralized cities, the consolidation of a priestly class and the ability of leaders to mobilize large armies. So it follows that a society such as the Carja who practice agriculture and are advanced enough to organize a city as large as Meridian would have more rigidly defined gender roles than the Nora or Banuk, who are primarily hunters and gathers.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
and the Tenakth are very ableist

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

In human history, societies tended to become more patriarchal during the early Bronze Age, where mass agriculture led to the formation of great centralized cities, the consolidation of a priestly class and the ability of leaders to mobilize large armies.

David Graber disputes the inevitability of this process (settlement = patriarchy) and I uncritically believe everything he writes!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve unlocked both the volley ability and the ability to nock multiple arrows with the hunter bow. I’m playing on PC using mouse and keyboard, and the explanation of the controls feels like it’s incomplete. Both descriptions tell me to hold the right mouse button. Then you hold the middle mouse button to fire a volley or tap it to nock more arrows. However, just tapping it also launches a volley. What am I missing?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 28, 2024

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I don't think we ever really get enough information on Aloy pre-HZD to have an accurate idea on how much she knows about sexuality. we don't know what she learned in her downtime from watching others at a distance, Rost teaching, or her focus.

I got the sense from HZD that she just pushed all romance out of her brain because she had more important poo poo to do and didnt consider it vital. There is a brief moment early on in the denver stadium mission where she talks to herself and briefly considers Varl as a prospect if I remember correctly, but that's all we get besides her dismissing everyone who hits on her

I definitely felt Erend had a small crush that he knew was futile though.

Air Skwirl posted:

I kinda thought she'd hook up with Talanah

Tbh I think this would have been better. She had an interesting history with Tanallah and a relationship forming from that feels like it would have been fairly natural

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i cant believe how long it took me to figure out the point of the combination slaughterspine/thunderjaw site in burning shores: you're not supposed to fight both, you override one and use it to farm luminous brainstems way cheaper and quicker than killing those HP sponges on higher difficulties

it's a bit comical how bad the slaughterspine is at fighting the thunderjaw, since it relies on its slow-rear end plasma charging attacks that are often more area denial than they are straight damage. the disc launchers absolutely shred anything that doesn't dodge them, by comparison

also pretty funny the first time you see one of the corpses fall in the giant pit

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
yeah, TJ is just relentless, doesnt help that when squaring off the apex variants, the apex TJ is plasma resistant, which is a fair amount of the slaughterspines damage output.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
It helps that Guerilla explicitly made mob infighting an intended mechanic, with outright bonuses to their damage output. Overridden machines do huge damage.

It's not like Sekiro, where enemies fighting each other have huge damage nerfs.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
there was this video where somebody modded a fight in the sunfall arena in HFW PC and spawned basically every species of apex heavyweight and let them slug it out. Last man standing was the stormbird, because the machine behaviours just cant deal effectively with flying machines.

There seems to be a nerf though in certain encounters between rebels and wild machines though, they take forever to kill each other. Took the thunderjaw near Fenrise ages to kill a handful of bristleback riders. Although if it is your overriden machine it goes much quicker. But wild machines typically win out in the end. Like a squad of lvl 50 tenakth fighting 3 burrowers, slow fight but the burrowers finally won that fight.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 28, 2024

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I feel like they really overlooked overriding when it comes to encounter design, there's all the skills and equipment to make it work and then very few opportunities to actually use it to full effect, especially in the narrative set pieces. I've spent a tonne of time on my current run beelining to cauldrons, unlocking corrupted overrides and upgrading the relevant gear, but there's so few places where I've actually been able to set up cool fights because there's just not that many big machines near other big machines or rebel camps. I mostly just end up taking clawstriders because at least they're easy to bring wherever you're going (if you're allowed a mount there, anyway), but that's kind of boring and even heavily upgraded they fall over pretty quickly in the back half of the game.

I'm already spending a bunch of setup time to sneak up on a monster and grab it, and sacrificing the ability to knock crafting bits off (it's never fun to have an ally that kills stuff before you get a chance to play around), they could at least give me the satisfaction of slamming a slitherfang into a rockbreaker occasionally.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
i do have a list of all the heavyweights that can be made to fight each other, most are limited that way but there are a few exceptios, and then some additional ones that require a bit of coaxing (like the marked + swimmig tiderippers in Lake Mead).

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Dr Christmas posted:

I’ve unlocked both the volley ability and the ability to nock multiple arrows with the hunter bow. I’m playing on PC using mouse and keyboard, and the explanation of the controls feels like it’s incomplete. Both descriptions tell me to hold the right mouse button. Then you hold the middle mouse button to fire a volley or tap it to nock more arrows. However, just tapping it also launches a volley. What am I missing?

Using a gamepad you can only equip one weapon ability at a time and change it on the weapon wheel. I'm guessing its something similar with M+Kb.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Falukorv posted:

There seems to be a nerf though in certain encounters between rebels and wild machines though, they take forever to kill each other. Took the thunderjaw near Fenrise ages to kill a handful of bristleback riders. Although if it is your overriden machine it goes much quicker. But wild machines typically win out in the end. Like a squad of lvl 50 tenakth fighting 3 burrowers, slow fight but the burrowers finally won that fight.

on the other hand, 5 or so random tenakth absolutely DESTROYED the slaughterspine in big sur. fuckers stole the kill i was trying to farm before i could get there

i guess the lesson is that slaughterspines are actually kinda incompetent despite being a considerable threat to aloy alone

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Slaughterspines have cool music

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
Happily Slaughterspines are very effective against techbros and Specters.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

General Battuta posted:

Slaughterspines have cool music

You know poo poo is about to happen when you gear it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I personally think the Tideripper theme is the best.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Built to Kill and Guardian of the Deep are the track names for those themes btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

on the other hand, 5 or so random tenakth absolutely DESTROYED the slaughterspine in big sur. fuckers stole the kill i was trying to farm before i could get there

i guess the lesson is that slaughterspines are actually kinda incompetent despite being a considerable threat to aloy alone

tbf its scripted to die as soon as you get there, they dont really fight it to death