Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lance Reddick is a mensch

https://twitter.com/lancereddick/status/1359627780527374337

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DarklyDreaming posted:

I'll admit, seeing Lance Reddick be genuinely happy to play Sylens made my day :allears:

it caught me off guard that they basically just modeled the character off him so that was neat

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/lancereddick/status/1437852688155353091?s=21

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's another quick scene with Lance Reddick in it, it's amazing how much more realistic the performance capture is getting.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do like how Sylens does kind of represent the story Elisabet told at the end with the tree, because while he is extremely smart, motivated, and curious, he also has almost no empathy outside of what helps him learn more.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

bobjr posted:

I do like how Sylens does kind of represent the story Elisabet told at the end with the tree, because while he is extremely smart, motivated, and curious, he also has almost no empathy outside of what helps him learn more.

Yeah he pretends to have remorse for helping create a dangerous cult, but if he hadn’t been betrayed and kept getting to learn more from Hades, Sylens would have never cared what the cult was doing.

He will absolutely make the same mistakes in the sequel, and happily trod over anyone who gets in his path.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Here are some extended interviews with the cast of Forbidden West. I had no idea that both Erend and Varl's voice actors were Bri*ish, and that John MacMillan was in Chewing Gum no less!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyLa1T_FIfU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv8yJWK7lpQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vvNbG_C3gI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6CHgSLXIGQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpW3aBSy90w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahj6-GPBxKA

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Maybe it's because I like Lance Reddick in most things he's in, but I couldn't hate Sylens. He focuses too much on the long term goal over the short term issues, but he did seem guilty about the cult thing, and he grows to at least respect Aloy by the end.

His obsession with recovering knowledge at any cost is his fatal flaw, but he's also the only one bothering to do so. I hope they keep him as an anti-hero who clashes with Aloy over his methods, but they have to work together, rather than having him go full bad guy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

OldMemes posted:

Maybe it's because I like Lance Reddick in most things he's in, but I couldn't hate Sylens. He focuses too much on the long term goal over the short term issues, but he did seem guilty about the cult thing, and he grows to at least respect Aloy by the end.

His obsession with recovering knowledge at any cost is his fatal flaw, but he's also the only one bothering to do so. I hope they keep him as an anti-hero who clashes with Aloy over his methods, but they have to work together, rather than having him go full bad guy.

Yeah same. I couldn't blame Sylens for his bullshit ultimately and I thought he was a cool antihero antagonist.

I really hope we don't have to encounter robo Faro or clone Faro or any Faro. He won. He's the ultimate villain because he's always loving you and you can't touch him.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, Sylens is sort of understandable once you appreciate just how immensely valuable the lost knowledge could be, and how tantalizing it must be to know that it's out there somewhere. It's one thing thinking that some day in the future somebody is going to figure out how to produce enough food that nobody is ever at risk of starvation ever again. It's quite different if you know for a fact that somebody already did that, and that it might just be a matter of digging through the right mountain to find that knowledge.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Here's something pretty cool... Some guy made a website called The Apollo Archive, an interactable online database of all the audio logs and text files from the game. I'll add it to the OP!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

OldMemes posted:

I like this because its thematically congruent with the whole thing about the alpha version of APOLLO that was loaded onto Far Zenith

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Sylens would give his right arm to be able to talk to you, an idiot goon, for a couple hours

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Kazzah posted:

Sylens would give his right arm to be able to talk to you, an idiot goon, for a couple hours

:10bux:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

Here's something pretty cool... Some guy made a website called The Apollo Archive, an interactable online database of all the audio logs and text files from the game. I'll add it to the OP!

Ooh poo poo. I think I’ve found what I’m looking at tomorrow during my downtime from Ys VIII.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kazzah posted:

Lol yeah.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Kazzah posted:

To be fair that's true for every historian, the only difference is he's just as willing to donate someone else's right arm

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also a good percent of societies we see do their best to avoid old world locations which Sylens openly hates, and I do wonder how that officially started and we got the more tribal situation we see today, as the original people who left the vault were a bunch of teenagers in modern for the time clothes.

It's kind of surprising they managed to get a few working societies in the first place instead of them all dying because they didn't know how to make fire.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think the ZD education program covered basic survival and is also the reason everyone speaks the same language. It just didn’t have anything past grade school and certainly not science or liberal arts

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kazzah posted:

"I believe I've fulfilled my end of the bargain. Now tell me more about this numerical configuration the Old Ones used to call, '69 420.'"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Why does the number 1337 keeps appearing in your communications?"

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

https://twitter.com/TheOrville/status/1109862942584029186?t=jmO9uzzyTEvm84Mkke3vDg&s=19

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Ted's actions not only deleted APOLLO, but left the first generation of clones with an AI caretaker completely unfit to take care of their social and emotional needs, crammed into a tiny space, until the habitat broke down because they hadn't had the planned training to care care of it, and the AI had to shove them out when the food ran out, when they were planned to be the core of the human rebuilding project.

I take it he never read Lord of the Flies.

Slyens keeping HADES at the end might be risky, but its trapped, has information about the past and they need to know who sent that mysterious signal.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 23, 2022

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Sylens' flaw is that his drive for knowledge is purely selfish. I never once got the impression that he was planning on opening a school or whatever when he was done to share what he'd learned for future generations. Teaching, sharing knowledge, these things are not exactly in his nature. He's already apparently learned physics, calculus, he's reverse engineered wireless networking, and he hasn't exactly been in a rush to share that knowledge. And i cant picture him doing so without there being something in it for him.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

Sylens' flaw is that his drive for knowledge is purely selfish. I never once got the impression that he was planning on opening a school or whatever when he was done to share what he'd learned for future generations. Teaching, sharing knowledge, these things are not exactly in his nature. He's already apparently learned physics, calculus, he's reverse engineered wireless networking, and he hasn't exactly been in a rush to share that knowledge. And i cant picture him doing so without there being something in it for him.

Yeah the impression I got from his character was "let me get it all, then everyone can have it after I get first look". He's very long term minded, but there's pros and cons to that.
Once that knowledge is recovered, disseminating it is the next big issue - they mention that APOLLO was designed to have teaching modules that tested well, but even if they Sylens and Aloy can stitch APOLLO back together, getting it out to the people is going to be the hard part.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

OldMemes posted:

Yeah the impression I got from his character was "let me get it all, then everyone can have it after I get first look". He's very long term minded, but there's pros and cons to that.
Once that knowledge is recovered, disseminating it is the next big issue - they mention that APOLLO was designed to have teaching modules that tested well, but even if they Sylens and Aloy can stitch APOLLO back together, getting it out to the people is going to be the hard part.

I always take him as wanting to check it out himself and not trusting people to do the right thing with it. I might play the game again even though I decided not to. Be nice to get reacquainted with Sylens in particular.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

JBP posted:

I always take him as wanting to check it out himself and not trusting people to do the right thing with it. I might play the game again even though I decided not to. Be nice to get reacquainted with Sylens in particular.

Yeah him coming to trust Aloy and respect her more by the end of the game is an important plot point.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I did not get the impression that Sylens didn't particularly care about anyone, except insofar as they are useful to him. Even in the end, he lies to and manipulates Aloy in order to get what he wants (a captive HADES). At best he comes to grudgingly admire her tenacity and ability, but in the way a craftsman admires a masterwork tool.

I think we are quickly forgetting this the same guy who casually referred to the genocide of an entire tribe or two as one might regret inclement weather.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Sylens is totally coldblooded and quite ruthless, but while he insists it's for a greater purpose, we don't actually know what that purpose is (if you think he's really an exiled banuk shaman then idk what to tell you). so he's still quite mysterious even though we have a pretty good sense of his character. you get a sense sometimes of aloy getting through to him but i'm not so sure.

if anyone in the setting had been exposed to the alpha build of APOLLO with all the knowledge but none of the ethics (and made up a big story about learning from HADES later) he's a great candidate

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If this recent official banner is any visual indicator, then Sylens & Tilda will ostensibly still be on Aloy's side in Forbidden West, yet serving their own motivations.

Guerrilla kills it with their cover art every time.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've played through Zero Dawn twice now and it's in my absolute top tier favorite games of all time. I've preordered this and can't wait to play it. I started playing Nier: Automata last week and I'm hoping I can finish it before Horizon comes out.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

On some level Sylens wouldn’t want to completely make it so Aloy is completely antagonistic to him, considering she’s basically a living password with no real substitute for him

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I still can't get over that the voice actress who portrays Aloy also portrays Tiny Tina.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

CobiWann posted:

I still can't get over that the voice actress who portrays Aloy also portrays Tiny Tina.

Also Parvati in Outer Worlds

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CobiWann posted:

been so long since the hey ash what ya playing videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRNKxAy049w

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ace Transmuter posted:

Also Parvati in Outer Worlds

Which is on my list after this game.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
She’s also pretty good in Mythic Quest as a game tester.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

been so long since the hey ash what ya playing videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i-6IRvyltM

Totally Aloy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ashly Burch rules. She's a great VA but I'd like to see her in some more live action stuff, she was good in mythic quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I am very excited for this game. I am resisting the urge to buy the fancy pants collectors edition. I do not know if I will be able to hold out.

Also, gently caress Ted Faro.

If they wanted to make all the money in the world, they could sell Ted Tokens as in-game purchases for $29.95 that let you enter Thebes after you beat the game and rip his clone apart. Each day a new clone would be revived... but that would cost another token.