Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So I've started replaying NG+ in preparation for burning shores, but suddenly everything seems... kinda broken? Textures for machines are failing to load completely and the waves seem to be really choppy. The water graphics are fine otherwise, it's just the wave crests near the shore that don't move very smoothly. Is my PS5 hosed or is there something else at play here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Falukorv posted:

and it gets boring fast once you "get it" and have good pieces, winning strategy plays out the same way. Basically feinting and delaying until the opponent overcommits and then you pounce, which gets to be even more trivial if you only use 1 strong piece like the fireclaw and abuse that single pieces can move twice per turn.

I did pretty much this, but with the slaughterspine piece. Mostly trivial, the worst bits are the tutorials where you have to use lovely pieces.

I forgot how absurd the detection radius is in ultra hard, if I'm not in grass it's basically the same range that I can begin to scan and mark stuff.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So what are the chances that I can just use the 100+ skill points I have laying around from NG+ to grab all the new skills right away? I only had zero dawn with the dlc so I'm not sure how it interacted on release.

E: Also I really want to be able to carry more than 35 blastpaste, please. That's probably the only ingredient limit I've found that feels too low. As soon as you are shooting or throwing advanced explosive ammo that stuff depletes like crazy. I don't recall which but one of the ammo types would take 27 of the 35 you can carry to refill from 0.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 14, 2023

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Petra is going to be very salty.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Looking at some preview clips and things I'm guessing lava will be an environmental hazard similar to Red Blight, but won't be completely ignorable like the Blight was.

There was already lava in the Thebes mission, so it'll probably work like that? At least that's what I'd expect.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I haven't started the DLC yet, I've been just trying to get back into the groove of things and I had a good hearty laugh at the ridiculously high resource requirements to upgrade legendaries. I can't believe they haven't adjusted them - Korean MMOs would blush at grindiness of it all. If you translated the sheer resource hog to real world terms, you could grind up every car at a stadium's parking lot and it'd still wouldn't get you one level's worth of upgrade for any of these things. Took me 30 minutes to just upgrade one level on the Carja's Bane warrior bow and there is no need for this garbage. At least it got me back into things a little bit. I see people in build videos with everything maxed out and it's like, buddy, if your build can't be made in like 30 minutes no one is going to bother. What they have is like hundreds if not thousands of hours of grinding trash to make numbers go up.

Does the slide of iframes? I'm trying to do that awkward sliding shot stuff.

If you aren't super concerned about difficulty purity (and aren't on UH) you can set the difficulty to custom and turn on easy loot to greatly speed up the farming process.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Jimbot posted:

If you want the experience I had then fight the slaughterspine in the middle area by the tower (where there is a thunderjaw grounds is right next to it) and wonder why they have a massive pit in the middle of that spot if not to be pieces of poo poo to people wanting to hunt those monsters.

I just overrode the thunderjaw and let it kill the slaughterspine for me. Much easier than bothering with melee combat. If you have the legendary machine master armor (tenakth tactician I think) you can get permanent overrides on everything and beef machines up to the point that they will kill apex versions of themselves with little problem.

The sheer number of apex machines is kinda annoying though, makes my override heavy strategy pretty tough when I can't touch 80% of the machines. Except for apex bileguts, which I need for crafting and have never seen a single one.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Falukorv posted:

You need to complete the cauldron to spawn apex bileguts in the wild.

Thank you. That cauldron was pretty cool, imo. Final fight wasn't too bad either.

I found out you have to wait for the collapsing ring to get inside the colored zone during a grapple strike to get a resonator charge on the enemy. That's helped a lot as far as making the grapple strike feel useful compared to just spamming critical strike.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

It really feels like they designed these encounters to force you to use the chain damage valor surges, melee, and the warrior bow. Pretty much all of which I don't like.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Inventory has a cap for all the machine parts.

Forbidden west has a cap as well, it's just 10,000 in your inventory and probably 100x that in your stash? I guess shards roll over at 2.14 billion and can go negative because it's a signed integer.

Oh wait, there's a total limit to your inventory as well because ZD doesn't segregate item types to their own stacks. Oooh yeah.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Megera posted:

I hope there's another DLC coming? I liked what we got, but I wanted... more. Tbf I only did quests that were along the path of the main one, so I plan on doing some flying around and on-foot exploration to see what I find. Frozen Wilds was like a whole bonus game so it's strange this is what they settled on.

I think there might be. There's another area north of no man's land that has the "can't enter this location" message that usually pops up where dlc stuff ends up. Unless they put a whole fort up there and then decided to abandon it.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I really need to use valor surges, ever. I've probably used them a dozen times in what probably amounts to three times through the game (I've done the story four times but the last was on easy as I blitzed the main quest for BS so i wasn't locked into ultra hard), including ultra hard NG+ where I probably needed it the most.

Also gently caress the Utaru hunting grounds, which I just remembered wants you to silent strike kill a certain number of enemies to death but in very/ultra hard said machines have enough health to survive a fully boosted hit.

Maybe I should also use smoke bombs.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

3. Stealth Staker - You'll do ~3.5k damage per silent strike, giving you a gigantic overshield with all the infiltrator bonuses. At rank 3 you can reset up to 3 times with smoke bombs, giving you over 10k unanswerable damage.

gently caress me, really? I guess that's how you do the hunting ground then.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

You can do that one early just by gliding in with a strike from above, then resetting with smoke bomb and grappling back up to do it again. 2 hits will kill the burrowers, even on Ultra-Hard. There's a Utaru outfit you get while doing The Dying Lands that boosts silent strike.

Yeah the smoke bomb reset is probably the bit that I was missing. Even trying it in the legendary Utaru armor I wasn't getting the kill and was just immediately like "well gently caress this I guess" and walked away. I've already done them all anyway, just not this playthrough, so I don't think I really care enough to do it now unless I get real bored. I have the tripcaster and all the legendary arena gear so the rewards are minimal.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Are any of the legendary weapons especially good? I bought the Hunter Bow and also did the quest that rewards you with Final Argument, the legendary spear thrower and also bought the Quen Marine armour.

It doesn't look like running out of the new currency is a terribly big fear, but if any of the weapons are especially awesome, I could prioritize those.

I think that depends really heavily on your play style. The sharpshot bow is the only legendary version that has strikethrough arrows and is generally pretty bonkers in my experience, but I spend a lot of time in high places shooting down at things from stealth. You can easily get 2800-3000 damage crits on a focus shot with it. There's a second legendary quest reward beyond the one you mentioned, an elemental blast sling, the Skyhammer, but I can't actually remember which quest rewards it.

I don't use warrior bows much so I can't really weigh in on the busted-ness of that one. The shredder gauntlet has no elemental ammo at all and I'm dubious of that since so much of the value in the others is double/triple dipping on coils for elemental buildup. Ropecaster I'm trying out now and having problems getting the shots to land but that's me being bad not the weapon. It seems like it should be good?

E: Actually I think the Skyhammer is found in a chest during one of the earlier main quests, the one where you go to the observatory. I don't know if you can go back into these spaces if you missed it, but I can't see why not? I guess it's not technically a reward just something you find.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 26, 2023

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Falukorv posted:

From memory, I find that the main story in hfw is the one thing that feels shorter than hzd.

In other news, reaching ghost level 101 seems to introduce the spawn bug for most people on a previously unbugged ng+ save.

Astonishing what random seemingly unrelated factors can cause this…

Which bug is this? I'm at level 111 and haven't seen anything that stands out as a bug to me yet. Although I think I was over 101 before burning shores, if that matters.

E: I've not seen anything that would register as "spawn bug," I've seen other bugs but the name doesn't fit.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Is NG+ just restarting the game with all your gear, or does it get more difficult?

Finished the DLC campaign this weekend, and man, still not quite ready to say goodbye to Aloy again. I keep reading this thread and thinking I should go back and do all the stuff I ignored, like the Arena Challenges and optional Cauldrons, or maybe start a new playthrough or something? IDK. I wanna use all these awesome weapon combos you guys keep talking about.

(Although I'm afraid I'm just gonna go back to shooting arrows at weak points like I've done for 40 hours already, I always think "maybe I should try out the Shredder" or something, but five minutes later I'm back on that Hunter's Bow.)

UH NG+ is really fun, imo. If you turn off damage numbers it becomes fairly harrowing because you essentially have to rely on visual cues to assess of things are about to die. The range at which you get spotted by machines is pretty nuts though, and you don't get the grace shot where the machine goes into search, it's just straight to full combat.

I had to do a lot more planning and use a different play style to get through it. A lot more overrides and blast slings. But the change is all based on difficulty, not NG+. You do lose all your overrides though.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

What are the chances there will be a second DLC for this game, given the "You cannot go here" message that pops up when you head north from no man's land towards the extremely visible and obvious castle? There's even a marked trail with lanterns and whatnot heading for the cliff face below it.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Well, the north aerial capture is still bugged for me.

I did discover that the nerf bow will set off the purple gleam, which I really enjoy. And at the same time I discovered that they sometimes hide brimshine behind that stuff, which the job tracker won't point you towards until it's visible. Which I expect means it won't point you to chests with brimshine either. It makes sense that it won't, but now I'm certain that I've missed a bunch in various chests and the legendary coils/weaves that are probably in there too.

Am I correct to assume that there are two of each of the new legendary coils or weaves? One hidden in the wild and one at the shop?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I was very ready to be extremely mad at the admiral and then he put the cop in jail and turned out to be super pragmatic, which was unexpected for an ancient dude in a position of authority. I think the admiral would probably go to bat for Seyka under the emergency authority clause he cited since she was getting obvious results despite breaking a bunch of normally applicable laws. It wasn't surprising to me that the compliance dude was a dick though. His journal is just further evidence. There's a very easy solution to his whole problem and making Seyka's behavior a non-issue when they get home, he just falls overboard and gets eaten by a snapmaw at some point on the trip back.

Seyka doesn't bother me very much but I also don't think she's particularly outstanding in any way beyond being as good a combatant as Aloy is, which is admittedly rare but not totally unique. From a gameplay perspective I liked having her along most of the time because if I could only get one of the devotee marines to 5% HP with a silent strike she was right there to finish them off, it made sneaking around a lot easier honestly. The game being very forgiving about your companion's stealth status was really helpful.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah the prevalence of stagger shouts is pretty annoying, but at least in the case of the waterwings you can actually disable it by shooting off their gular pouch or whatever it's called. I don't think you can get rid of it for the other machines though. In my most recent arena attempts I found that sliding and rolling seemed to shorten my recovery period after being staggered by a machine hit. Is this another of the weird semi-undocumented mechanics like quick draw?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

The page says it comes with "water-slide decals" and in general the Moderoid stuff says it's partially painted. It'll probably look very close to what the image is, I'd imagine?

Now I have to decide if I want to buy one for my desk at work so I can announce which sort of nerd I am.

If they ever come out with any of the other major combat machines I'll probably break and buy them all. A giant dreadwing model would own.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 13, 2023

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Finishing up the delvers and upgrading weapons in Burning Shores.

Just look at all this poo poo.

To say nothing of all the funky arrow types and poo poo.
Maybe if these things had interactions with each other it'd be fun. Like burning adhesive.

There is one interaction. The purgewater state increases shock and frost build-up. That's the only one I can think of though. It would be neat if you could force the plasma explosion to happen early by starting another effect but that probably just overwrites it and plasma is bad anyway.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Medullah posted:

Whereas I use rocks a ton, great for stealth kills. I think it's hilarious that you can hold a ton of them, Aloy running around with 100 rocks in her pockets

If you turn on auto-pickup your rock count will skyrocket. I have like 600 something of them.

My issue with the ui is that I can't use traps without putting them on the menu, and that you can't remove food. Let me use those things from my inventory.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Anything in the world that doesn't require holding a button will be grabbed by the autopickup if you have inventory space. Machine parts, rocks, dye plants, berries, Ridgewood. Since the limits on some of those are 10,000 you grab them forever. Another neat thing is that the auto system will grab items when you otherwise can't, like during a slide.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Medullah posted:

Are there any outfits which are must upgrades from TBS? I'm looking at resources to upgrade everything and it's absurd. I pretty much live in the Nora Thunder Armor, but it doesn't look easy to compare that to the new stuff unless you're at a vendor.

Edit - Do you need pouch upgrade resources in NG+?

Pouches are the same size, so if you have them at max already you won't need to change them.

The thunder warrior and quen marine (I think) are nearly the same, with the same resistances and weaknesses and only two different perks. Once you coil it the difference is very nearly cosmetic only. You might find it better if you don't use the heavy weapon perk a lot?

The deadeye armor is good but lacks the weapon stamina buffs and that really hampers it imo. Low profile is not worth that trade.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 18, 2023

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I didn't realize when I bought it that the Thunderjaw model was unassembled and I was actually ordering a project. So far I've got the head built and it's crazy detailed.

Now I want more of them though.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

kliras posted:

your inventory doesn't really fill up in a way that forces you to manage it like the previous one, thank god. and items made to be sold are very unambiguously just there to be sold

the high-tier crafting resources are finite, however, so don't go spend them all at once. you'll probably know which ones once you get them

I'll say that the finite resources are sufficient to upgrade a large number of items if not every item in a single run through the game, and plenty of very good items only require infinite resources. Also setting jobs for crafting materials is super helpful and something that I don't think existed in ZD.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I do have thousands of rocks in my inventory, but they don't take up any space so who cares?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

shredder gauntlet is the most fun weapon when you get it down IMO, it's also crazy strong with elements.

Juggling two discs against a distant-ish machine feels so good.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

You can combine agility damage coils (jumping, falling, sliding) with concentration damage coils to quickdraw and aim with slow-mo and double dip on the damage bonus. I'm pretty sure the legendary shredder gauntlet has these boosts innately as well to encourage this. I spent a lot of time jumping in concentration with that thing.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

My only complaint about drill spikes is that the DOT effect won't trigger any of the instant element state effects, only the initial throw will.

And I guess that there's no legendary version until burning shores.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Martian Manfucker posted:

I'm playing this for the first time since it's come out on PC and is it just me or is this game much harder than the first? I remember 100%ing the first game and not having too much trouble other than some of the fights in the DLC, but this game (on Very Hard) is kinda kicking my rear end. Seems like playing into the elemental resists or lack thereof on the robots is the name of the game this time around, but man, at the beginning when my only shock option is a tripwire shooter and I don't even have some of the others the going is rough. Still having a good time with it, looking forward to discovering more hubristic tech companies and ancient assholes.

There's an early hunter bow with knockdown arrows, if you shoot machines in the shins/feet with one or two of those you can knock over basically anything early game (pre-macguffin search) and then critical strike it 2-3x before it gets back up. That will end a lot of machines.

exquisite tea posted:

Stealth is even more viable because you can use smoke bombs to reset invis mid-combat and eventually get as many as 12 of them with gear. Combine that with the valor surge that triples your damage with silent strike and you can do like 2k damage per stab. Fun!

And also the valor surge that makes you invisible outright.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Kesper North posted:

After completing the 2.5 hour tutorial and reaching the opening credits, wow that's a lot of mechanics to learn, remember and integrate.

I play DCS and learning to start, fly, run the radar, and land an actual F/A-18 was slightly easier

To be fair the F/A-18 was designed for Navy pilots so they couldn't make it too hard.

But yeah, the intro to the game is very long. Longer than you think it is. You're probably still in it. It takes so long to get to the actual Forbidden West that it's honestly funny.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Going to write a complaint letter to Hephaestus for putting so many cannons on this turtle.

Shellsnappers are probably the thing I have the most trouble with in the game. loving guns everywhere and bullshit mobility that I can't even turn off by blowing off its stupid feet.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

There was a datapoint in the first game about the rewilding process, and it all seems pretty deliberate, with small selections of key species getting introduced at first. And since we're still stuck at that early stage (without APOLLO-educated humans to manually bring back everything else), I doubt dangerous pests are around unless they were absolutely necessary.

That's why there's no dangerous major fauna in the world. The scariest animal is a wild boar, which are no joke for sure, but there aren't any wolves or bears or what have you.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

[desire to know more intensifies]

There's a valor surge in the infiltrator tree that gives you stalker style active camo so you can walk right up to people. If you attack it fades for a bit but will recover in a second or two. At the max level I think it also gives you extra valor from silent strikes keeping you going longer. Pretty sure it boosts silent strike damage too?

Can't remember the exact specifics right now but I used it a lot in my first play through before switching to ranged master.

E: It's called stealth stalker, it's the first valor surge in the infiltrator tree. At the top level it's +200% silent strike damage vs. unaware targets and they do restore valor to keep you invisible for longer. It says "very high visibility reduction" but in practice I've never had it behave as anything but invisibility unless I accidentally run into someone. If you get silent strike+ up to level 4 via armor or weave boosts that's 150% damage increase and then the next 200% from the skill gets you to something like 1800 damage on a silent strike? There's a skill down in the burning shores bit of the tree that gives you an additional boost for having your resonator charged, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get to 2000+ damage. I'm going to go play around with it for a bit and see what sort of bullshit I can manage.

EE: I hit 1980 against a machine with no resonator boost, so yeah, you one-shot a lot of stuff in this mode. It's definitely sufficient to clear smaller rebel camps in their entirety in a single use.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 30, 2024

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

just gotta not get hit

if you get meleed that hard you done goofed

There's a really cool mobility option that you get from the bottom of the machine master tree, it effectively lets you use your flying mount as a mobile grapple point so you can pullcaster your way up and out of melee with machines that close on you. Combined with the glide targeting you can do some neat launch stuff from there too. I found out Aloy even has a voice line when you do this.

Overall I think I like this game more that HZD, but there are definitely things I miss. Whistling, mostly. God I wish we could whistle. Sharpshot bows not being the universally best option at all times (when it wasn't a blast sling) is actually good, with the expanded weapon wheel you get to pick what sort of play style you want and can focus on it and there's not just one best way to do all the things. The blast sling is less powerful than it used to be, the tripcaster is less useful, the ropecaster is less useful (less useful=harder to use so I haven't bothered to learn because I'm bad at the game). In exchange we get spike throwers that are awesome and the shredder gauntlet which owns so hard. Warrior bows are take it or leave it for me, I've tried using them to punch out damage and it works but it's just not my favorite. Same with the bolt blaster, which shits out damage but is very slow. I should probably give them another try and see if I can make them work. I think the changes to the tripcaster and ropecaster removed some of the easier options for crowd control but the knockdown mechanics got changed in such a way that now you can CC stuff with javelins if you want.

But you should really be using the shredders, killing robot dinosaurs with a weaponized jai alai cesta is so cool.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

site posted:

Can you find the banuk plasma gun in fw at all or is that just gone

That gun does not make an appearance, it fell into whatever hole the shieldweaver armor is in. Along with all the Banuk. There's mention of a single one Brin, the best of them in the whole game. Maybe I missed some other mentions in data points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I figured there were some Banuk mentions I missed. I had forgotten about the "Oops it broke" solution to the shieldweaver armor being too powerful. I should probably play through the game again without skipping every cutscene and all the dialog.