Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Falukorv posted:

Realistically there would be tons of missed organisms, you just have to hope that you have time to preserve a representative sliver of global diversity. Aint enough expert manpower in the world that can take for example just the few hundred thousand species of beetles. Even in the best case scenario, the post dawn world would have a rather depauperate fauna and flora compared to our world.

also this is after the global warming cataclysm that elizabet and faro systems helped stave off so a lot of species were already just gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Martian Manfucker posted:

Has anyone got the FSR frame gen mod working with this game? My performance is fine in everything except cutscenes and I wanted to give it a shot with my 3070 but after some looking most people are saying it's falsely reporting high frame rates and ruining frametimes resulting in shittier performance.

i'm no sure which mod you're using but for me with LukeFZ's mod i have to use preview 2 (current is 5) and in game FG has to be OFF for it to work in this game. it's super weird

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:smith:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can you find the banuk plasma gun in fw at all or is that just gone

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Olothreutes posted:

That gun does not make an appearance, it fell into whatever hole the shieldweaver armor is in.

sad. but i think the funniest part of that handwave is the nora appointed armor you start in is the shieldweaver armor it just doesn't have the shield effect anymore lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess i missed that line i just heard that she lost her gear when varl asked about her traveling light

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I need this bow that completely freezes in one shot I guess

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just had to cheat my way out of a section in cauldron chi because it glitched out and I couldn't finish otherwise. in the section where you have to bring an energy cell back by setting it on a mechanical arm and use the rope to move the arm, when I attempted to drop the cell on the arm it would clip right through and drop onto the floor below. had to use noclip to carry the cell and fly to the other side lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fatty posted:

Thanks for all the unmarked spoiler discussion for a game that is only a couple of weeks old for most of the people actively playing it.

seriously what the gently caress man

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Or was that just a glitch in the matrix mikoshi is running for your engram :tinfoil:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Finally wrapped the main game after 89 hours. It was honestly a lot and after playing them back to back I think I like ZD overall a little more than FW. Despite the over reliance on text logs it just felt like a tighter, better paced game. FW was like twice as long as ZD, and it was around 60 or 70 hours I was just feeling done but there was still so much more to go. I didn't even bother 100%ing and it still took that long. And I think FW got bogged down somewhat by adding the tomb raider caves and ruins, adding even more elements, adding away more (or at least it felt like way more) loot, the collectables, having way more map area including like a 5 hour intro area before you even get to the Forbidden West proper. And like, it was just long. I don't think any of the side quests were bad really, there were just a lot. And I had a lot more trouble with climbing in FW, so many times Aloy would jump to a climbable spot and just...not grab it and fall. I don't think it happened maybe one of twice in the 45ish hours I put into ZD but it was constantly a problem here. I wish we saw resident evil monster Ted Faro. Actually I feel like the whole Thebes area was pretty undercooked. And tbh I'm kinda meh on the idea for the third game and how that all played out at the end..

Super gorgeous game though. I had to play on medium for fps, but cranked the graphics up for photo mode and my screenshot folder is huge. The character models and facial animation in particular looked so good.

I really need a break though so I'm putting off starting burning shores till tomorrow

site fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 11, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ytlaya posted:

As someone who had been spoiled on Zero Dawn's main plot stuff (and didn't have that mystery pushing me along as much), I think Forbidden West is generally a much more fun game. Much better side quests, combat, and more interesting/varied environments. Its open-world stuff is generally of remarkably good quality - the side quests have decent little plots and the puzzles are good. It feels like they actually filled the massive world with stuff to do that mostly doesn't feel like it's just there to fill a checklist.

I think positive opinions on Zero Dawn (relative to FW) largely hinge on the core mystery being more interesting (which is kind of unavoidable, since you have big questions like "what's up with all these robot dinosaurs" to answer, while the sequel just had "what's up with the Mysterious Signal" - and the answer to that is about as good as it could have been, since the only alternative would have been something like aliens).

To use probably the best comparison - the two Spider-man games - I actually think Forbidden West does a better job of fulfilling the mission of "giving us an enhanced version of its predecessor" than Spider-man 2 did.

Edit: This game also does an incredible job of animating NPCs. Other games have similar face/body animation quality for major characters, but it's very impressive how good this game is with animating minor quest NPCs.

I agree I think the side quests are better in FW. I liked how many ended up being story chains and you got a chance to stick with the characters for a little while. That reminds me though I felt like having a base where Aloy's teammates hang out always felt out of place to me

Combat I never really liked tbh. Enemies absorb much more damage, they do much more damage, they move faster and many can leap to you from really far away. I never give with needing to swap between 5 different bows for all the many elements and various draw speeds at close, medium, long range. I never really found melee to be viable even with element packs and the 300% damage valor because it still does like no damage and you get put into a like 7 second down animation at the slightest tap, and you can still get hit during it and so many machines will shoot at you during the animation timed so the projectile will hit you as soon as you get back up...and you immediately get downed again.

Tbh I thought a lot of the poo poo around the world felt like checklist stuff. All the sunken caves for no reason but to collect green shards. All the firegleam barriers hiding...greenshards. All the tomb raider ruins with ornaments for the osaram guy, junk loot chests...and occasionally some green shards. All the metal flowers hiding junk loot...and green shards. And they're loving everywhere

site fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 11, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

quote:

I think positive opinions on Zero Dawn (relative to FW) largely hinge on the core mystery being more interesting (which is kind of unavoidable, since you have big questions like "what's up with all these robot dinosaurs" to answer, while the sequel just had "what's up with the Mysterious Signal" - and the answer to that is about as good as it could have been, since the only alternative would have been something like aliens).

Thinking about this some more I don't think FW actually did about as good as it could because I just never found the zeniths to be all that interesting and I think it's funny how Elizabet and Ted and people on the ZD team like Travis Tate were more fleshed out via text and audio logs and the Zeniths are just...random nobodies the game never cares about investigating. Just totally replaceable people that I never am asked to care about in any form besides, this guy has a shield I can't beat right now. You aren't learning about these people as you move through the story in any real way, besides the false ideas the Quen have for a couple of them. There's no equivalent area to GAIA Prime where you get to really hate these guys. There's just The Boss who orders The Guy Who Likes to Fight to fight you the three times you ever encounter them, and random background people who never speak. Completely underwhelming and uninteresting

site fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 11, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i think these are designed as part of the gameplay loop, where you're basically always going to have some sort of ? map icon within ~400 steps to go check out. a lot of them are kinda filler but they serve to keep up the "oh, alright, just one more thing to explore oops got myself in a big fight" exploration loop

yeah you go out of your way to explore and find these things because there aren't any maps you can buy to tell you what's what like in ZD, only to wind up finding 100 things you can't even access because you haven't gotten the correct tool yet through the story and it expects you to travel back to open all this stuff later to get useless junk so it won't be on your map any more. they could've at least made putting in the work the tiniest bit rewarding

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i have found two god of war collectables while wandering around but what are the legends

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

big nipples big life posted:

Zenith stuff I mean they think of themselves as gods and they want to wipe the entire earth clean again so they can make a paradise for a dozen or so people. That's pretty weird.

this is one of those things that i think demonstrates how little effort they gave to fleshing them out is that we are quickly told it's because of the immortality treatments but we never get to read or hear or see what those treatments were or how drastically their bodies had been changed/what kind of geoengineering would have been needed to conform to them now

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Olothreutes posted:

There are a few things about the Zeniths you can see in game, like how none of them actually bleed and are instead just full of some white goop.

yeah see, i know it got a little overbearing in the last couple quests but i really liked reading about stuff like in ZD. i want to know more about this instead of little teases!

quote:

There's a sword in the stone hidden in no man's land, I believe, and possibly some others but that's the only one I know of for sure.

looked this up and i wonder what else is in there to be found

Ytlaya posted:

While that's true, I never got the impression you were supposed to care about them as characters. And Ted Faro's characterization was never really interesting, because he was basically just this comically evil character without any interesting motives beyond self-enrichment (which is fine for an antagonist, but I don't think he really comes off that much better than the characters in this game). And I think this game does fine with the various side characters you encounter from the various tribes, which are really supposed to be the focus more than the Zenith people (who are deliberately characterized as these self-centered sociopaths). Like the whole point is that they're not interesting, and even the one who temporarily acts differently is just as soulless as the rest. And the actual antagonists present in the story of the original game are also very 1-dimensional, like HADES or the cultists. I found Sylens' machinations in this one to work pretty well as a plot device, since they were intertwined with the tribes and their motivations.

I generally think of the stuff involving the tribes as more core to the plot in both games than the stuff about the "original humans" (who are pretty much all boring stereotypes, including Elizabet).

I disagree about the Ted Faro stuff, going ZD again before FW I thought intentionally making him Musk even more hilarious because reading/listening through his stuff in the last few missions it comes off exactly like the kind of poo poo drug fueled depression Elon posts nowadays in 2024, which i have to commend Guerilla on capturing that several years earlier than their inspiration's actual downfall started. For me at least it makes it more fun to hate the guy because he really does mega suck rear end in game and irl

I do agree that FW does well with all the side characters and spending time there. That 89 hours I racked up definitely wasn't coming from just the main questline. Like i said earlier, one of the things I liked about the quests is that many turned out to be chains where you help them do a thing, and then run into them later with their circumstances changed because of your help.

I can't say I ever felt that it was the point that the Zeniths weren't interesting though, personally. Nor Carrie-Ann Moss' character did feel like it was demonstration of that, although if you want to say the reveal of her romance with Elizabet and eventual betrayal of Aloy were obvious I can't dispute that. The game basically shouts it at you. I thought the handwavey nature of many of her answers in the dialogue at her house and then at base were rather because she was untrustworthy.

While HADES is literally a computer program with no personality and calling it one dimensional is accurate, I think ZD did some work with the Shadow Carja by giving Aloy a lot of interaction with the nobles, the declared child king and smuggling him out, your interactions with Avad and Blameless Marad, and many side quests and characters both in the kingdom and outside of it that fill in life under the Mad King's rule that fleshes all that out. There's not really any of that with the Zeniths

And I wish Sylens was around more in FW! Especially given real life circumstances :smith: RIP Lance. I did find the memorial for him on the west coast overlooking san francisco, that was sweet. But like, just kinda showing back up at the finale so aloy can explain the whole puppet master thing back to him just in case the player forgot was kinda meh

site fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 11, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah a couple of the vistas I had to YouTube to find the exact spot it wanted me in because I couldn't line them up right lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
working through burning shores and i felt like the ~ dramatic tension ~ of aloy agonizing over not telling seyka about nemesis was undercut a little when, between missions, i ran into the delver from frozen wilds in the ruins and at the end aloy is just like, here's a focus, have fun talking to GAIA she can fill you in. lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
She doesn't even give em mounts to ride. Just expects them to walk all the way there

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
She didn't!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Olothreutes posted:

Yeah I don't think it's the VLA, just VLA inspired. It would be almost due south of the starting area in the first game. They've taken liberties with the relative locations of things, but that one would be pretty egregious. The geology of the area also makes no sense for the VLA.

it's helios one

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
congrats on getting the girl, gayloy

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Except for one line in the optional conversation with Petra right before the final battle, I spent the entire first game thinking aloy was ace

site fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 22, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ruffian Price posted:

You get an option to blueball Seyka in Burning Shores, it's perfectly fine for that characterization

Yeah I saw that lol

Naturally I wasn't going to do that tho. Also I feel like that ending wouldn't really fit the story that well? Because Aloy is uncharacteristically horny for Seyka starting basically immediately after the intro cutscene (I felt really bad for Petra for a while :smith:) and turning around at the very end to say haha jk seems like it would be the player's choice, instead of Aloy's choice...if that makes sense

site fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 22, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
On the one hand spectacle wise fighting a Horus was super cool, mechanically it was probably the worst fight is either game for me because I got to the part where you have to climb the leg... and the loving thing kept rotating away from me like 3 seconds before I could get in range to jump onto the leg and that went on for like 5 minutes and I'm getting blasted the whole time lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Adam Jenson from deus ex is at least two npcs in every town

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think it depends on what you want to jump back in for.

if you're looking for horizon the open world game, fw

horizon to play through a story, zd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I hope we pilot one in 3