Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I didn't get around to Zero Dawn for a long time but drat did I love that game. Can't wait to see how the combat feels. I think Zero Dawn might have my favorite combat system in any game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

ShadowedFlames posted:

Am I the only one trying to avoid looking at too much ahead of release day? I went into HZD relatively unspoiled and while I want to see some of the new wrinkles for HFW, part of me wants to go in as clean as I can for maximum discovery immersion.

I basically only know the release date and maybe one combat/movement mechanic. I just want to take it all in while I play.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Perestroika posted:

This is more or less in in-universe chronological order, rather than how it's revealed ingame:

Did the DLC have any important plot stuff? Or was it just it's own separate story in a snowy area?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The DLC shed some light on the rogue AI HAPHAESTUS, the subfunction responsible for building the machines, as well as another AI responsible for maintaining Yellowstone Caldera that survived the Faro plague, CYAN. The Frozen Wilds rules and you should definitely play it!

I'll have to jump in before Forbidden West comes out! I tried to dig into it immediately after doing every possible thing in the base game so I was kind of burnt out and didn't get far.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Oh yeah, I forgot there are PS5 enhancements for Zero Dawn. Has anybody replayed it on PS5?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I'm really eager to see what the game does with the DualSense controller. I've been playing Ghost of Tsushima and I love the way archery feels. Combat in Zero Dawn felt so satisfying and I hope they take advantage of the controller to make each piece of equipment feel distinct if they can.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

They reused the protagonist from the first game?? What the gently caress???

The Postman
May 12, 2007

early game nipples

The Postman
May 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/UpsSwitch/status/1495056028370624512?s=20&t=E1tq4VOVDoi6Y2cRM8hyHg

i don't know what the gently caress i was thinking

The Postman
May 12, 2007

effervescible posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I can absolutely see me making that mistake too.

It shouldn't, because I'm kind of a video games dumbass.

I kinda got into going for platinum trophies recently and I think my brain immediately jumped to "what if there's a trophy for shooting targets". Instead of, you know, looking at the pile of logs that would be released when I hit the target

The Postman
May 12, 2007

This is wild.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Are there any tweaks in the settings to make the dualsense stuff a little more engaging? I remember a review saying each weapon had a very distinct feel with the adaptive triggers and I'm not really having that same experience. Maybe it's just difficult to notice in the middle of combat.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I love forgetting to spend my skill points and then going on a shopping spree.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I barely used melee in Zero Dawn so I'm glad they found ways to make it more viable this time. I love Monster Hunter so it's real satisfying to charge up a strong attack and land it on some robot charging at me.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Speaking of accessibility options has anybody tried the automatic shieldwing deploy? I was curious what kind of height you have to fall from for it to deploy but it just seems to let me fall to my death no matter what.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Is this game just straight much harder than the first one? Even on Normal (which I bumped down from Hard) Scrounger is just tearing me up with its basic attacks. I don't remember them being this much trouble.

I think so? I played the first one on hard and just wound up turning it down to Normal. I want to keep making progress before Elden Ring!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I don't mind the story so far, but at the end of the day I'll accept any reason they give me to go shoot some cool robots. That's what it's all about baby!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Yeah, on Normal I didn't have any go out of their way to stop me. Maybe if you're straying off from the path the NPC is running they start going after you or something?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I couldn't avoid killing wildlife if I tried. Every time I ride my mount somewhere "wildlife kill" pops up several times.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

The Broken Sky: lmao that i get to just hang out with everyone at the Bulwark after destroying part of their mountain

The Postman
May 12, 2007

ymgve posted:

That works for removing items from the wheel, but I mean pressing square to auto-fill when you're in your stash. It will automatically give me at least two stamina potions, even when I've removed them from the wheel.

Did you try putting all of your stamina potions in storage as well? Then maybe it gives priority to equipped potions or something.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

drat I'm gonna spend so much time in photo mode in the arena

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Not a big fan of all of this equipment in my inventory. Once I have a suitable replacement or two for a specific weapon or armor am I safe to just sell these old ones off?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh man the arena does not gently caress around

Yeah I got my rear end handed to me immediately on Normal. I can't even imagine how intense higher difficulties get in there.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I laughed like an idiot during that entire section. Only Aloy could go so they'll stay here as long as the indestructible collections of boulders remains in place? Cool I'm going to BLOW IT THE gently caress UP before the enemy blows it up! To make a point!!"

I just love that you get to immediately take the lift right back up to the stronghold you just hosed up and everyone in town is like "hey! you're the girl who just blew up our rock! good poo poo!"

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Are Tallnecks just not nearly so much a thing compared to HZD? I'm getting close to L30 and I just realized the only one I've seen was way back early on when the map really started to open up, a whole lot of the map is still just thick clouds outside of the corridors I've made while running along between quests. I feel like I was constantly just running across them and clearing map sections by this point in the first game, just in the course of playing through normally.

I don't know when it happened but I feel like it marked them all on my map. I can see the icons way out west where I haven't been yet.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Anyone run into bugged quests? I completed everything in the side quest Breaking Even and it won't let me talk to the NPC to turn it in.

Edit: Nevermind. It doesn't make total sense but I had to begin the Need To Know quest in the same area to let me talk to the NPC.

The Postman fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 23, 2022

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Probably very suboptimal but I use the health regen valor strike, I’m nigh invulnerable for a stupid long time. I assume power shots is better but what if I miss?!

How far am I if I’m doing the story quest at Landfall? Trying to stretch but at the same time finish right as Elden Ring releases Friday night

I read there are 17 story quests so that's how I've been gauging about where I'm at in terms of story progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Elvis Parsley