Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

haveblue posted:

A short way into the DLC you unlock the ability to return to the main map so starting the DLC will not cut you off from anything

That's good to know. I really don't like it when games don't signpost a Point of No Return, or don't make it obvious when a decision will lock you out of significant content - unless the game is short enough that it's easy enough to play through a second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Falukorv posted:

Its not uncommon for people to ask about that since the game sometimes makes it sound that way. especially when embarking on the last mission, where it asks you at two points if there is anything i need to do and confirm it in the dialogue tree. but what they really mean is if youre geared up enough for a somewhat lengthy and difficult storymission.

I think CP2077 did it pretty well in the base game, it was very clear when you were going to be on rails for the rest of the game. I don't remember if it automatically saved the game for you (I think it did), but it was as clear as can be.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Fatty posted:

Edit: Anyone else find that this game seems to have settlements that are almost designed to annoy with their layout? So many places that are separated by random ramps and verticality shifts. Would have been fine if there were more grapple points for boosting around, but they're just inexplicably not there.

YES. Navigating the towns sucks. I have no idea why they made them that way.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The weapon wheel bothered me as much as anything else in HFW. With 6 weapons, 3 different ammo types per weapon, that's 18 potential picks on the wheel. Each individual selection has only 20° of arc - the frequency with which I grabbed the wrong ammo type (or weapon) in the middle of a fight was far, far too high.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Unless you're talking about something else, the character Wiki (for what it's worth) says, and I'll spoil this just to be overly safe, that he was anointed "Death Seeker" and allowed to leave Nora territory to retrieve the bodies of his partner and abducted child (who was eventually murdered). He hunted the raiders who were responsible for a year before returning heavily wounded. I have no idea if that's official, the article doesn't say what the source is.

The source is in game, relatively late in HZD. It's a conversation with one of the leaders (matriarchs?) of the Nora - Aloy returns to her homeland for some reason, there's a fight, and she informs said leaders about what she wants to do. You have an opportunity to ask about Rost, and it's explained then.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

In retrospect (and not including DLC), which is the better game - HFW or HZD? I'm thinking of replaying one soon and trying to decide which.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Dr Christmas posted:

Yep, thought it might be something like that, but I only thought to look on the skill tree like for the valor surges. You switch between weapon abilities using Z and X on the weapon wheel; same as you do with your consumables.

I always forget just how crowded the weapon wheel is in HFW. It was frustrating how often I grabbed the wrong ammo (or wrong weapon), or accidentally activated a valor surge, or swapped abilities mid-fight.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

exquisite tea posted:

If I were making Horizon 3 I’d combine the effects of Acid/Purgewater and Fire/Plasma and make the plasma explosion scale a lot better.

Looking at the elements and weapons going from HZD to HFW, you're thinking about this all wrong. Clearly we need more total elements available, and each endgame weapon needs at least one more ammo type to truly up the difficulty during stressful fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Moon Slayer posted:

Forget going west to the Yangtze Delta/Quen lands, or east to the Great Plains/Mississippi, Horizon 3 should go to the moon.

To fight robo-Hitler alongside BJ Blazkowicz?