Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
A prudent plan. I don't think I'll pre-order, either. My personal expectations are that it'll be fun and pretty and well-executed. It'd be rad if it's a big push forward, but I'd be 100% okay with a consistently solid experience that has a few iterative improvements over H:ZD. Excess materials going into the stash is a good sign of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I'm in between; I like a gamepad for brawling or platforming or vehicle movement, while I prefer KB/M for precision aiming and games with lots of hotkeys (e.g. MMOs). If it didn't juke out the UI, I'd consider using a gamepad and mouse at the same time in games like Horizon.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

For my part, I like that the Horus units we see in H:ZD are these desiccated fossils of scorpion kaiju that somehow still seem menacing despite being inert. Like, they're big enough to show up on the overworld map. That's scary enough

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I generally like H:ZD's traversal, so I'm cautiously optimistic about the underwater sections. My only concern (aside from the well-stated issues with underwater sections in games overall) is whether the additions to terrestrial traversal (more parkour, gliding, etc.) took too much time/resources away from polishing the underwater sections as well (or vice versa).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Just purchased H:FW (PS4/digital) on the PS Store website, and I seem to be able to preload it to my PS5 thru the Recently Purchased website. It's at least showing up in the Downloads tab, and the minutes remaining are gradually decrementing. Will double check later tonight when I have physical access to my PS5

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

I can download the PS4 version to my PS5, not seeing an option to dl the PS5 version.

Ah, good point! I always forget it's a whole separate download

isk
Oct 3, 2007

My life over the past couple years hasn't been great, but one of the rare victories has been securing a PS5 at retail cost (thanks to a local & magnanimous goon). And that shouldn't be a big deal. I really hope this poo poo gets sorted out soon

isk
Oct 3, 2007

EverQuest's Coirnav forever instilled thalassophobia in me, even after we had him on farm

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Baggot posted:

The weapon wheel limit is now 6.

:thatsrad: times infinity

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Getting through Friday won't be easy for me, either. The three day weekend right after will help

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I thought I had a three day weekend, but we got an email this morning saying "just to address the confusion, staff do not get the day off"
:negative:

Big Bidness posted:

I cleared my work schedule for Monday so I could play video game and yesterday I got subpoenaed as a witness in a murder trial that starts Monday. Someone parked a homicide victim's car in front of my house, and I have to be ready to testify that I didn't see a god drat thing.

Oof. Sympathies; actually having holidays off is a newer development for me.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Usually I'm not one for predictions, but I would cry ugly tears if there's a quest wherein Aloy uses her Focus to retrace Rost's steps, and there are tasteful echoes of him saying "Follow"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

He's here
He's there
He's every-fuckin-where

Sy-leeeeeeens

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh, sorry. Like I said a while back I still find the crossgen setup super confusing - I thought we were all talking about the same thing since mine listed both 4 & 5.

It's cool! I've had a PS5 since Sept and I still forgot about it in the rush of preloading

isk
Oct 3, 2007

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn and Ghost Of Tsushima really sold me on just how game changing a high frame rate can be.

:same:

Tsushima in particular was, like, a game with environments this gorgeous deserves fluid animation.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

Was the blight a thing in the first game that I completely forgot about? The first few scenes make it sound like Aloy left immediately following the end of the first game to find GAIA and fix it but I don't remember it coming up (also I guess that means the DLC happens earlier in canon?)

It is. There are several blighted areas on the H:ZD map, each with turbocharged machines. IIRC most (all?) are optional clears for resources and rewards.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Kawabata posted:

I'm playing the PS5 version in quality mode, does anyone else have some weird micro-lag/stutter during cutscenes when camera cuts from scene to scene? It's not terrible but it's a bit distracting.

Getting the same in perf mode. Doesn't always happen but it's often enough to notice

isk
Oct 3, 2007

nm misread!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I'm really enjoying this. The granular difficulty options are amazing, the visuals and audio are incredible, and the story's got me hooked. I understand why a few folks feel there's "too much" sci-fi, though I'm personally up for it.

I also like how plentiful the hunting is in comparison to HZD. I remember having to run around in a given area for longer than I wanted to find a given quarry, but here the only hard part is finding which part of the map something's at. Once you're there, they respawn quick, and there are typically other quarries in the area I need as well.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I like how there are at least some options for Very Rare outfits not too long after you open up the West. Takes a bit of doing but it's feasible. The Jobs option is rather good; they'll either point you to a map area with the stuff you need to kill or signal that the location is unknown (i.e. unlock via story quests).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I thought Kotallo's VA sounded familiar, so I looked him up: Noshir Dalal, who also voiced Charles loving Smith in Red Dead 2

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Me whenever I see a Tallneck or Thunderjaw or the like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Svf76f4ZfU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The most notable bug I've found involved a fight with a Dreadwing on a snowy mountaintop that, in hindsight, might have a clipping gap. The Dreadwing went up for a divebomb and initially landed just fine before glitching just slightly underground. It then spun at 9000 RPM while trying to attack me. I could hit it maybe 1 out of 10 times with a bow, and I didn't have any AoE weapons on me, so I ran away until it reset.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Did HZD have NG+?

Yes, was added post-launch

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I don't know how QA and the focus groups did combat

In this context, the most that QA can do is advise and contextualize. They might have significant influence, but lead designers/game directors/etc. typically make the big calls on game mechanics

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Just finished the critical path. I'm writing this up over the gorgeous and suitable end credits sequence. Loved it overall. I've got different feelings about it than I did H:ZD, partly because I came into the latter with virtually no expectations, partly because there will in all likelihood be at least one more Horizon game.

Either way, H:FW really is a special game IMO. The technical accomplishments alone are notable. On PS5 the loading times are relatively rare and extremely quick. I definitely got used to the occasional microstutter in cutscene transitions, and I consider the occasional glitches as low impact and resolvable with patches. Visually it's a treat. The motion capture and lip syncs are a new standard, and the environments are lovely. The sunrises and sunsets are extraordinary all on their own; they mean a lot to me personally as I have strong memories of both from my time in Colorado and California.

Enjoyed the narrative as a whole. The plot definitely takes some risks, especially towards the end of each respective act. For me they work well. The performances do a ton of the heavy lifting. Ashly Burch should get all the VA awards this year. The cast as a whole is quite good. I like how they took the time for folks to pause and think during delivery; it's a not-always-present thing in not only videogames but TV/movies as well. Probably my favorite parts were the ambient interactions at home. There's a ton of 'em, and they satisfy. Additionally, I can confirm the side quests are a cut above the usual. Comparisons to The Witcher III are on point.

Enjoyed the gameplay as well. I do like the increased emphasis on elemental aspects. The only thing I'd like more is bigger reinforcement during the tutorial/opening of how important they are later. It's generally conveyed when allies are present in combat, but I feel like it could be introduced earlier and more consistently. That said, the accessibility and granular difficulty options are welcome, and it's a good thing that they can be changed at any time.

One part that feels a bit underappreciated to me is the music. I like the soundtrack a lot. Though I can't recall too many specific melodies, that's okay; the music itself gently encourages an appropriate tone for the given scene rather than forcibly instilling one. It also has a consistent texture throughout, to where i could listen to it out of context and recognize it as Horizon music.

What didn't I like? The occasional struggles to get back up when knocked down. The obvious solution to that is "don't get knocked down", but it still feels more frustrating than instructional. Also, the dark nights made a few platforming areas trickier than expected, mostly when I needed to use the pullcaster. Only happened a few times, but worth noting IMO. Other than that, a few enemy types were frustrating, like Shellsnappers. IMO they should stay underground (and go underground) way less than they currently do. Lastly, I'm glad they made melee a bit more engaging, but it has room to grow. In the next game, I'd prefer melee to be more effective against machines. Knockdown resistance (or a roll recovery out of a knockdown) would go a long way here.

As a whole, I think H:FW is an exceptional game and a real achievement. I'd be up for New Game Plus and a DLC, or "just" New Game Plus with a focus on the next game.

isk fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 27, 2022

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Fabulous Knight posted:

Errm is it possible to leave/pause a quest if it features a companion character? I'm currently doing a side quest The Burning Blooms and I feel as though I have encountered a mandatory boss that is just slightly too tough at the moment. Unfortunately the quest has brought a guest character along and if I deactivate this quest and activate another it doesn't look like they're going anywhere. I feel like reloading from an earlier point may be my only option here.

Not 100% certain for that specific quest, but I've done that in a couple other companion/guest quests with no issue. They said they're gonna chill there and to re-signal at the fire when I returned. When I did, we got right back to it

isk
Oct 3, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Ashly Burch is always good but she really killed it this time around. I thought the way she darkened Aloy's speaking register was a great choice to show how she was trying to look and sound more like Elisabet. Then you get someone like Beta who is recognizably different despite literally being the same person.

Agreed. I'm reminded of Matthew Mercer's work in the Pillars of Eternity games, specifically how he VAs Eder, Aloth, and Iselmyr. Each has their own distinct voice, and they all sound plausible.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Clarste posted:

TBH the biggest failing of this game is that the Override skill tree doesn't let you take direct control of a T-rex and ride around on it shooting lasers.

The Cauldron was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I think before heading onward into the story I'mma clear up all these question marks on the map. I'm at The Dying Lands quest , but I don't want to head west until I've figured out if I'm missing some stuff. I'm worried I'll miss a quest.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You won't, sidequests are only in settlements, and they're all marked with a green "!". There's zero reason for FOMO in this game despite all the icons, just go explore and follow the story. If you want a good break point to explore, wait til the game gives you three main quests to knock out in parallel.

I'd add a slight detour to facilitate exploration: do just enough of The Sea of Sands to get the Rebreather. Doesn't take long, and there's a ton left in the quest to circle back to later

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Falukorv posted:

What are your favorite weapon loadouts? after roughin it a while with blue tier weapons i have gotten a decent collection of purples and legendaries. for advanced elemental arrows do you find that the volatile sludge is enough? The sun scourge and death seeker hunter bows between them have way better and less redudant element coverage than if only purples would fill th same role, but to easy to get stingy.

Edit: Currently ive equipped the marshal, death seeker shadow, sun scourge, glowblast sharpshot and corrosive blastsling which i think covers alot of ground. plus a sixth slot for heavy stuff, for the moment slotted by the vindicator spikethrower. Up until this moment ive had blue tier stuff equipped so can finally bring in more hurt. Need to sort out some coils though, have completely neglected and procrastinated coil management and have a bunch amassed.

I had a couple others but TBH I was all set between Sun Scourge, Forgefall, and Death-Seeker's Shadow. Pretty much everything is weak to at least one of those elements, and there's plenty of raw damage in the last two. Forgefall got disgustingly good with a few +draw speed coils.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Hollismason posted:

What do you get from clearing these Rebel bases and Outposts? I find it a real chore to fight against human enemies in this game.

Rebel base reward: Eventually you get a quest that rewards Sun Scourge, an extremely good Hunter Bow

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Whats a good bow to get from the Arena? I'm just going to Story mode that section of the game. I don't have the energy to try and do those trials they're too hard.

IIRC the gold Hunter and Sharpshot bows are extremely good. Add the Hunter bow that you get after clearing all the rebel camps (plus the follow-up quest), and you've got most elements covered along with excellent raw damage.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Which Hunter bow from the Arena? The legendary one?

Whatever quality is gold/yellow/etc. (not purple)

zakharov posted:

Sea of Sands was, like, an emotional quest.

It really is. That ending hosed me up in a good way.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

One or two glitched out for me to where I had to go loud. The rest required two things: a bit of scouting/marking, and rocks.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I think I'm one of the odd folks out; I not only didn't mind farming for upgrades, I genuinely enjoyed it! I liked the combat so much that a purpose-driven loop was no problem. The Jobs feature helped a lot as well.

That said, I probably would've hated it if I had needed Shellsnapper. This description -

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're just Rockbreakers, But Worse. And I really hated Rockbreakers
- is church.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Probably spoiler that first part?

*edit: Thank you!

isk fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 12, 2022

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The audio logs really did it for me in H:ZD as well. I remember this one you encounter towards the end of the game (I think it was from one of the inventors/engineers/etc. at Faro Automated Solutions) that's something like, "We could do anything. We could do anything." The way the VA changes their tone from pride in the first sentence to guilt in the second is brilliant.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I went through most of the game before realizing that she was played by Angela Bassett.

I'm a fan of hers, yet all I thought in Regalla's scenes was "wow her VA is amazing." IMO she disappeared into that role in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

MH Knights posted:

How do you transmog armor? I checked the crafting table and a major city but did not see anything.

I did find the NG+ thing in the base.

It's really good, can do it straight from your bags for free. Inventory -> Outfits -> hover over the outfit you wish to look like -> Apply Look button in the bottom right (default is Triangle, not sure if it can be changed)