Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

exquisite tea posted:

My bold prediction: Faro will be dead, no clones, no cryo, no take-backsies. As entertaining as it would be to have him survive 1,000 years only for Elisabet's clone to stab him in the dick, I think he got away with it.

My money is on this as well. The Horizon series plays fast and loose with some of its science fiction (in particular, its robots and AIs), but in some other aspects, there are some hard rules set in stone. Namely, no one has survived from the old world, too much time has taken place, there is no way to put together a self-sustaining colony.

Similarly, if any humans have origins in Odyssey/Far Zenith they aren't the original members of the board, they aren't old worlders, they too were decanted from creches just Aloy and the ancestors of the new world. But they have access to an alpha version of APOLLO, which lacks development in the social sciences, so indeed they are fully capable of realizing the worst excesses of humanity with full control of all of the old world's weapons of war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

DarklyDreaming posted:

Well basically there's a log in the main FAS building that says Ted is shopping around for religions, then when you get to GAIA one of the Alphas mentions that Ted Faro is locked away with "nothing but sex robots and Pantah Antimod weirdoes" Beyond that no, their core tenets or who their founder is goes unmentioned.

If I had to guess just from the name, they're against some kind of body modification either genetic or getting tricked out prosthetics, however "Pantah" doesn't mean anything but the vibe I get from it is vaguely Indian. So my guess is they're some kind of wellness scam that lost the thread when robots ate the world

My money on this was that they were neo-luddites who blamed the FARO plague on the general state of 2060s technology, and not on Faro himself. Faro would naturally want to surround himself with people who would give him answers that would flatter him.

It is for this reason that I've been pushing back (on this forum) against the idea that Faro deleted APOLLO for a reason as crass as wanting to hide his complicity. No, the truth is even stranger. Faro, under the influence of these neo-luddites, genuinely believed that he could save the future generations from repeating the mistakes of the old world, the wars, the environmental destruction.

He was absolutely wrong. Humanity has always made war, and without knowledge of the social sciences, are more likely to continue doing so. Humanity has always exploited natural resources without care for sustainability, and without knowledge of HEPHAESTUS's machine's functions, hunters would attack and dismantle them for resources.

Maybe a fully functional APOLLO would not have dampened the worst demons of human nature. Maybe there would have been a new series of world wars in the 2600s, fought with railguns and warbots. But whatever the possibilities, Faro deleting APOLLO guaranteed the rise of blood-soaked empires like the Carja Sundom.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

OldMemes posted:

Maybe it's because I like Lance Reddick in most things he's in, but I couldn't hate Sylens. He focuses too much on the long term goal over the short term issues, but he did seem guilty about the cult thing, and he grows to at least respect Aloy by the end.

His obsession with recovering knowledge at any cost is his fatal flaw, but he's also the only one bothering to do so. I hope they keep him as an anti-hero who clashes with Aloy over his methods, but they have to work together, rather than having him go full bad guy.

I like this because its thematically congruent with the whole thing about the alpha version of APOLLO that was loaded onto Far Zenith

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cactus posted:

Yeah I've learned been exposed to that lesson more than once. It doesn't matter the company's track record. It doesn't matter what video footage I've seen. It doesn't matter whichever outlets are saying this and that are amazing; I Will Never Ever Succumb to pre-order hype ever again.

Many thanks go to CDPR; they really nailed that lesson, the one that I wilfully failed to learn from the No Man's Sky and Mass Effect Andromeda releases. I'm genuinely grateful because over the years it's taken a while for me to recognise how susceptible I am to all of these insidious hype tactics. I will wait and see, and then, when my suspicions are confirmed that this is indeed a motherfucking kickarse have-a-tomato-and-eat-it-as-well game, I will click the clicky thing and purchase my post-post apocalypse experience, and endeavor to be a pretty conflicted hard-nosed red-haired princess that rides giant robot beasts of burden into tribal lands she knows nothing about.

I can't wait to not be disappointed.

I was never hyped about Cyberpunk 2077 precisely because it was an entirely new genre, with different assets, mechanics, development workflows, etc etc. It was a big ask for someone who made a series of janky euro RPGs (yes, Witcher 3 is janky as hell, and it doesn't utilize its open world that well) to make a GTA/Deus Ex hybrid.

Horizon Forbidden West? God of War Ragnarok? Elden Ring? They build upon years of institutional knowledge within the studio. I'm confident they will be good. And I'll also acknowledge that HFW is actually the riskiest of the 3 games I mentioned, because despite HZD's quality at release, it had a shaky development history: they got lucky the first time.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Unfortunately for everyone else the Souls series has awakened something dark and violent within me that compels me to invade and pillage.

It's actually the same impulse that compels me to aggro upon and kill every machine in sight. I stumble on a herd of Tramplers, my eyes flash red and I start to kill.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's kind of weird how so many people failed to click with HZD combat, where they'd just ping arrows into the centre mass of the machines repeatedly dealing a single point of damage per, when you click a thumbstick and it highlights all the weakpoints of the machine and you mix and match the arrow to the component and they explode and all their armor falls off like the pantsed dude.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Wapo review dropped ahead of schedule:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/reviews/horizon-forbidden-west-review/

It does sound like they're falling into the Ubisoft open world rut of ridiculous number of map icons to comb through, but on the story is apparently okay. Apparently the structure of the story is built around a home base, which is an angle I wasn't aware of earlier.

Nothing on the nature of the Big Reveal or even if there is one.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The reviews seem a tad mixed on the story of HFW, which indicates to me that it won't hit the same heights of the Grand Reveal of HZD.

Oh well I guess I'll buy this game after I've burnt myself out on murdering hapless hosts in Elden Ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I can see that, HZD was full of awkward half-baked systems, like the skill tree that required unlocking basic functionality, or the rudimentary spear upgrade system, to the weird pseudo-"lootboxes".

But HFW is about building on the basics, no complete reinventions, so if anything the game seems a bit overcooked with too many ingredients.