Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That whole DLC is good.

"You may be chief of the tribe but just so you know you ain't poo poo and I think of you as such."
- "Glad we had this talk."

Snarky Aloy is so good.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

haveblue posted:

Why is every single ad on that video the trailer for Jackass Forever

In the far future, clone Johnny Knoxville is getting gored by a robo bull while all his friends stand around and laugh at him.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

First with God of War now with Horizon?! Could Sony be any more lazy!?!?!??! Pack it up failures, video games are dead on Playstation. Time to buy a Xbone.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/status/1486860405020315648

Looks like review copies were sent out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/FuturePress/status/1488602787852259329

If you're a collector like I am. Get yourself a nice hardcover guide for 30bux.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Us white likes to either see colonialism in everything to be good allies or refuse to see it in anything because it's a video game. There is no nuance to that conversation anywhere. Just find the reviewer of indigenous descent that you like and make their opinion the default and correct one to have. I think there's a really good conversation to have around where the line between respectful representation and cultural appropriation is but publications that tend to tackle those topics, like Waypoint, don't like to "show their work" so to speak. They'll say this is that, give a weak example then move on.

But yeah, them not using loaded historic language is a good step forward and I always found the Banuk to be the one nation that I pulled my collar at. That one seemed to be the one that got a bit too far into the appropriation side of things. Game's popular and a few people base their online identity around being obnoxious, angry, contrarians so I'm sure they'll make sure to post hot takes claiming this is how people should feel and say.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 14, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Reading a few more reviews and it does sound like they still haven't made fighting people all that satisfying. Better than the last game for sure but still not as fun or engaging as fighting machines. That's a real bummer to hear. How much of people murder will you be engaging in? I loved Horizon but fighting people did suck a whole lot. You really need like a parry/block button if you do this stuff.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Honestly, them moving forward with the tech is neat to me. If you bought into the world with the cauldrons and AI then having technology being indistinguishable from magic is the next logical step.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Apparently, Jeff G from Giantbomb described Aloy as an annoying atheist who can't wait to tell you they're an atheist. When I read that I was all "drat about time, she let too many shitheads walk all over her in the first game."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is this game just straight much harder than the first one? Even on Normal (which I bumped down from Hard) Scrounger is just tearing me up with its basic attacks. I don't remember them being this much trouble.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a beeline to Meridian situation? If so, where? The more I do combat the less I like the game. Every new machine is more annoying to deal with than the last because they move fast, attack faster and do so much damage. So it's getting frustrating. I get it, exploit elemental weakness. I did and liked this in the first game a ton but this one seemed to throw so much poo poo at you then never gives you enemies to restock that element. Them removing the "Hold O to use the good dodge" was a big mistake too. So I just want to compensate this stupid difficulty curve (I'm honestly surprised it got past testing, this poo poo is brutal) by buying gear that's not trash.

I'm having more trouble on Normal with these enemies than I did on the Super Death loving Hard mode they eventually added to the first game. Yeah, I was stocked up well in NG+, but they were honest about killing you in two hits in that mode and I have the aforementioned "hold O to use the good dodge". Also, while I'm at it, I hope to gently caress they patch in mass looting.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Any side quest in particular that'd do me good? Keep in mind I'm right at the beginning. I just literally took my first steps into the "forbidden west" so I'm early on, which is why I'm so flustered right now. Been looking forward to this game for a long time but these combat changes, at least for me right now, are all for the worst. Maybe it'll click and I'll look back at these posts and laugh but right now it's absolutely brutal.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just want to add one more thing to my gripe pile because outside of having trouble with the combat and mass loot, I've been enjoying it. It's just a bummer I'm at the point where I see machines in my way and I go "ugh, I have to fight things now" but that's probably a hump to get over. With luck they'll adjust the difficulty curve with patches. Anyway, my newest gripe are the capacity upgrades. I disliked them in Zero Dawn, I disliked them here. I was really hoping they'd play any new open world game and realize that collecting "rare" animal parts to upgrade your arrow capacity is something these games don't do any more. Even the goddamn series that started this poo poo, Far Cry, doesn't do it anymore. Some of the gameplay designers should join Rockstar in taking "modern game design sensibilities" seminars.

At least someone please tell me these animals have bones and skin and that I won't have to massacre the entire fauna population over a time of ten hours just to find a rare sparrow bone or whatever the hell to upgrade my potion sack. I mean, there's an entire world of machines that drop parts that is already part of the core gameplay loop, why add in a bunch of smaller, harder to spot poo poo to the mix?

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 21, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Alright, good. I still have nightmares of trying to find rare/epic fish bones in Zero Dawn. Apparently fish in the far future evolved past the need for bones.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Death's Door: Ah, here come the white colonialists. Can't wait to find out they're either clones of the rule elite (or just flat-out them) or their progeny come back to gently caress everything up again. I do love me some anti-capitalism and anti-colonialism in my AAA games.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like the idea of the food stuff but it's just another thing to select in the already too long quickslot selection. It shouldn't be Monster Hunter levels of long. I think the food stuff would have been better had it just been you get an animation where you chomp down some ridiculously good looking food then you get a super long buff. As it is I bought some basic stew and still haven't used them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Instead of a cat chef you get a robot watcher chef.

Yes. Now that you mention this I'm disappointed that it isn't a thing. Such a wasted opportunity, dammit!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just finished The Eye of the Earth: fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck those capitalists. Once again they ruin everything.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rumbletusks suck poo poo to fight. It just showed me how loving trash tear arrows are. It'd be nice to shoot off the weapons that do 98% of my health but apparently they have billions of health. I can't imagine fighting these aggressively unfun things on higher difficulties.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

:rip: Tearblaster arrows, gone too soon :smith:

They're good if you don't want to waste normal arrows (because they do exactly the same thing as they do, no difference) but other than that don't waste your time, resources or weapon slot space on this trash. Use the Precision arrows and Braced Shot, you'll get better results and actually do damage. I don't know why they're even in the game, other than to showcase a cool explosion effect.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Oh no don't tell me that they nerfed the tearblast arrows which were my go to tactic for dealing with machines. I won't get my copy of the game until Saturday.

Really appreciate that people are spoiler tagging things , trying to go in not knowing anything. I played the first one and loving loved it.

How hard is the game? I'm not really a gamer this will be my first game since Ghost of Tsushima

I got a Tearblast bow before a really hard boss that benefited from tearing parts of it off (because it hit like a loving freight train) but it didn't do squat to them. I had better luck going pure damage and targeting weak spots. As other said they're good for shredding protective armor off of those breakables but that whole boss fight experience really cooled me on those arrows.

Also, the game is a whole lot harder. Health might as well not be a thing since most enemies will kill you in two or three hits. They're super aggressive too. It ramps up too hard too fast, in my opinion but once you get over that hump, get a few more weapons and abilities, the game becomes super fun. I still miss the "Hold O to use the good dodge", though. Probably would have made that aforementioned lovely boss fight a bit more easier for me. There aren't many options available to you to put distance between you and the enemy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I'll probably do normal difficulty then. I don't like playing games on hard. I may do custom difficulty but I don't know what my options there will be.

You can customize the difficulty however you want. Damage done to you, done to enemies, easy loot and all that jazz. The accessibility options in this game are really great. Wish it had one that told Aloy to stop blasting out the puzzle solutions almost immediately.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just finished Cradle of Echos and want to reiterate this:

Jimbot posted:

Just finished The Eye of the Earth: fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck those capitalists. Once again they ruin everything.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Speaking of mount, they need to take another hard look at that thing. It's buggy and janky as gently caress. Just stops dead in its tracks a lot of the time or goes in certain, weird directions when it follows a road. Often stops dead at bridges too. Coming from Red Dead, this game does that stuff extremely poorly. Turning off the option to auto follow roads doesn't help things either. I also wish this game didn't have so many weapons. Maybe because the last open world game I complete was Immortals Fenyx Rising but I think I rather just have a default set of weapons that I upgrade to unlock better stats and elemental types that I can equip as if I were equipping a new weapon. Instead of having seven hundred thousand variations, each with their own elemental and other nonsense, just have the vendors sell you new weapon skins instead. Keep it simple.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can someone tell me the difference between the two? Outside the obvious names, of course.

This is what I mean. I have no idea what those icons mean because the game doesn't want to tell me. One does more damage, but why is the icon different? What special inscrutable properties does that icon hold? One is from a vendor further west than the other, which is why I figure it does more damage.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

idk why the weapon details screen shows you info on perks (+1 Stealth Shot and such) but not ammo

Yeah, this is what my bitching boils down to. If you're going to have all these damage types (which you shouldn't but alas) at least make it very easy and accessible to see what they do. Once I bought the weapon I got a paragraph of text explaining what the hell piercing shredding ammo does. Gee, thanks. Would have been nice to see what that was and what is required to make it before I wasted shards on something I may or may not have wanted to use.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

As much as I bitched about the Rumbletusk fight, I did a couple side missions where I took on a Behemoth and a Rippertide. I had better gear, had all the elements covered and just tore their rear end up. drat satisfying getting a weakness in that causes a chain-reaction that lets you get in an alpha strike. Brace Strike + Chill status = lol.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone have any tips how to beat the Thornmarsh arena champion? I do the combos the challenges told me to do but his shield just blocks everything.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Unreal_One posted:

If you can hit his shield with a resonator blast, it goes away for a while. That and jumping over him is how I did it.

Yeah, that much I parsed but his stupid shield bash takes a 1/3rd of my health off. He has no rhyme or reason to it either. Doesn't help his attack chain launches him several meters towards you. You can be on the other side of the world and he'd still track to you by the end of it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Apparently one or some of the new face paints are lifted from Zulu culture? If so, that's pretty drat lovely. That review itself kinda sucks because from what I've seen of the story it does anything but what the reviewer claims it does but that appropriation stuff does suck. It should be a priority for the developers to check this poo poo. With the backing of Sony they shouldn't be stumbling so.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

malindy hetfield is the worst editor on eurogamer's staff. this is the woman who accused kena bridge of spirits of cultural appropriation when the team directly collaborated with balinese artists for visual/musical flourish, and who slagged off disco elysium because it didn't have any "kindness." she's a snobbish moron. a z-rate pauline kael

On top of what I mentioned before her calling the entire Tenakth people cringey pro-military was the funniest thing. Lady has really garbage media analysis. I immediately lose interest in anything anyone has to say when they start calling a story self-serious or taking itself too seriously.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

From a personal standpoint, I don't like gathering in these games much anymore so I took the skills that crafted more ammo for less resource and gathered more resources. Hunter and Survivor trees. I also found the better recovery skills from the Survivor tree to be priceless as enemies hit like freight trains. Beyond that, the Warrior tree for those melee attacks are a good choice, it make fighting enemies a whole lot easier and it unlocks challenges in the melee pits.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It has been a hot minute since Zero Dawn, but did that game mention about what happened to the cats and dogs? Civilizations rise and fall but the one constant through history is humanity dotting their kitty cats and doggos.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Domesticated animals would have presumably been part of the Phase 3 organisms Apollo-educated humans would have introduced back into the world while phasing out the machines, that obviously didn't happen, so the world remains dystopianly catless and dogless.

Ted Faro truly is history's greatest monster.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've said before this game does not need a loot system. One of each weapon type and you unlock different elements as you upgrade it that you can swap out whenever you wish. This game, while I like it a ton, is the most 00's open world game made in the last seven years. Real "let's throw everything at the wall and see what sticks, which will be everything because nothing will get culled and the bloat will continue onward" design philosophy. Fewer systems, lot less collecting and loot, a melee system that doesn't require pausing between attacks (because the animations is too elaborate and long). Some of the best weapons aren't introduced to you at all and have to be sought out, then there's no proceeding fight to showcase how the weapon is used.

Less is more and if there's a sequel I hope they learn this because as much as I like this franchise, the amount of crap in this game is breaking my tolerance limits for this sort of thing. I just want want a same old with a new coat of paint, which is this game to a T.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

"Two Stars" A Rollerback and x3 Spikesnoot. Like constantly being knocked down by wide sweeping attacks and having to worry about an enemy that can attack the entire arena?

What level do they expect people to do these arena fights? I bumped the difficulty down to Story for these.

Edit: Looks like probably max level with fully upgraded gear and the best gear, at that. Tier 2 has you fight against two Grimhorns that you have to beat in 1:30. Right.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 25, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Guddamn, The Sea of Sands in its entirety was awesome.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Got myself a Clawstrider mount!

Muldoon lied.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tenakth Recon armor seems pretty drat powerful. Double the damage and 200% more health of overridden machines? That's a mighty powerful ally you just got yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Overridden machines seem a lot more powerful in this game. A random Clawstrider main tanked a Frostclaw and two other raptors without dying for me the other day.

Oh yeah. I wish I did this stuff sooner, even with this armor and the skills in the tree, the Burrower is a force to reckon with. I also think the override length may be permanent with the armor? The countdown icon doesn't lose any of its bar. If so that's baller as heck. Or a bug.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 25, 2022