Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Loved the main game and DLC. Really liked the character growth among everyone and this:

site posted:

congrats on getting the girl, gayloy

Hoping the 3rd is closer than we think. I would like to finish this nice story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I never read anything like romance from Varl. He just seemed very empathic and compassionate towards Aloy.
Erend is the only one who I kind of got a feeling had something for her, but I wonder if the story beat was Aloy is a surrogate sister for him
I think there was a slight moment in the story that it seemed Aloy was interested in Alva and that Aloy was disappointed in learning that Alva had someone back in Quen.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Aloy's main struggle throughout the first two games is that nobody really sees her as a person. Whether she's labeled as an outcast or anointed or a savage or Of the Nora or the dozen other honorific titles she acquires over the course of the story, she doesn't like being viewed as a symbol rather than as an actual human being. I think that's partly why she rebuffs Varl, Erend, and Avad, who are all ready to thrown themselves down at her feet and worship her. Because for most of that time, Aloy doesn't actually see herself as an actual person either, but instead the resubstantiation of Elisabet Sobeck, who we later learn closed herself off from other people in her own lifetime. The epilogue to Forbidden West is the first real point in Horizon where Aloy is even emotionally available to let someone else in, and where she starts to think about living for herself rather than following in the exact footsteps of her genetic predecessor.

I agree and I think by the beginning of the first game Varl begins to understand this and begins to understand the burden Aloy is carrying.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 22, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fatty posted:

Following that, given Space Carrie-Ann Moss's desperate need to abduct Aloy, I wonder if that was another unrequited relationship or if she and Sobeck were kind of together but ended up separated by Zero Dawn.

You skipped the dialog trees

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fatty posted:

The first and base conversations only ever refer to it as a friendship. In the final one a crazed psychopath trying to justify her kidnapping of you says that she loved her, not that she was ever loved back. It doesn't write off the ACE reading of Sobeck/Aloy, though I'm not personally arguing either one.

it is stated it was a romantic relationship when Tilda is talking to aloy on the balcony of tilda's home.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fatty posted:

Not seeing it here, but admittedly I'm mainly flicking through the Elisabet bits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjjTufmETMg

I could be misremembering at which point it occurs, but there is a moment somewhere in the game where Tilda explains they were romantically involved. It is in one of the dialog trees.

Edit: here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXocZ-clESw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Slaughterspines have cool music

You know poo poo is about to happen when you gear it.