Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

I stopped playing the first one partway through because I moved into a new apartment with horrible sun glare. By the time I measured, ordered, and installed blinds I had lost interest. Wondering if I should move on to the sequel and if not, whether I should start over or continue where I left off.

it's a wonderful game to experience, especially if the sequel is piquing your interest. you could skip the DLC if you're afraid of burnout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I don't care that they reused her grappling animation, it looked cool then and still looks cool now. What's neat is they added the rope coming closer to the camera and now the grappling looks cooler.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah I didn't grow up with any PC games, so there's a whole way of gaming that's just lost to me. I've tried powering through but I could just never get used to it.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
In my current playthrough, I switched from normal to story mode and took out the first scorcher with one arrow to the weak point on its back.

(Turned it up to easy for the remainder, but I switch it to normal for the base game.)

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Well, I just pre-ordered.

i preordered just for that not-oliphaunt statue

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
patiently playing Arceus while waiting for my elephant to arrive

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Only 17 hours in, loving all of it

My biggest issue with the gameplay is that Aloy in the story (as it is currently) wouldn't spend any time learning and playing a board game

(Also would love a Machine Strike app to play on my phone so I'm not hogging the TV, and then just transfer that XP to my game plz)

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
those poor miners in the Daunt, it took me 5 days to finally go back and rescue them, but they were still very happy to see me when I met them back at Chainscrape

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I used the pullcaster to open a vent in some vendor's store and he was like "Oh... I suppose I could use that space for storage" and Aloy said "Sorry..."

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Was it ever called out in HZD that Vala and Varl were siblings? He and his mom never seemed personally affected by the Proving massacre, but I might've missed the dialogue.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
My partner gets annoyed at me for listening to every rumor, but he changed his tune when he saw I had all the salvage camps quest markers on the map.

Also I firegleam opened a wall and there was a Burrower just adorably chilling with his head popping out of the ground (until he registered I was an enemy and attacked me). 9/10 because there no option to pet his face

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
It's happened on our PS5 infrequently, probably loading in assets in the distance

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I love HZD and BotW about the same for entirely different reasons, and I'm glad HFW has a paraglider (even if it's less meant for horizontal traversal, it's still fun)

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
they nerfed pretty much all heavy weapons that come off machines except the Ravager. wow, 5 whole discs in this thunderjaw cannon??? you shouldn't have

(still loving this game despite its flaws. i have 60 hours invested, just did the last cauldron and gonna finish side questing and the arena (on story mode) before continuing onto GEMINI)

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
i need to see orange county entirely submerged.

please, guerilla

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Finished it yesterday, felt the feels, but thought a lot could be improved in the same way most people have already said. Both Regalla and the Zeniths were interesting and I wish they'd had more time to develop them as threats. The toughest time I had fighting Regalla's forces was her Tremortusk, which is super early in the game. Maybe they could've had her actually capture Aloy (like Helis (it's like poetry, it rhymes)) OR be the one to kill a companion in an added story point.

We already get that Erik is a psycho, I feel like he should've had some crazy Zenith weapon that mows "the primitives" down in droves rather than being into one-on-one combat. I'm not sure if there was ever a reason why the Zeniths weren't actively out looking for Beta, GAIA, and/or Aloy. Hell, having roaming Specters would've been a constant reminder of the threat. If they're going to be used so sparingly, Specters also should have had an invincibility shield. And the final enemy being a mech suit that's smaller than most machines really let me down. I DO like that they saved an unseen enemy for the last battle (HZD could've used that).

The Firegleam and Metal Flowers never lead to anything super worthwhile 95% of the time. I was playing on normal and just had so many resources in my stash by the end. Would've liked to pick up some more purple coils and weapons.

Legendary weapons come so late in the game and require so much farming. They should've just had max stats and no upgrades needed when you get them.

I wish the Sunwing had been available sooner, it's super fun to fly on and just admire the world. I checked out the Hoover Dam after seeing someone mention it, and I hope that becomes the passage into a DLC (would love more than one DLC, please let me escape into this world longer!)

Loved the story even if the pacing wasnt what I wanted (I feel like Death's Door was the biggest holy poo poo moment and that was pretty early in the game). The tutorial/intro with Varl was also one of the best parts of the game. Everyone needed more brain-breaking moments from Aloy. I think I didn't care for The Sea of Sands as much because I hated the forced stealth swimming, but I did love the story (and visuals) surrounding it.

Loved all the characters I met along the way, and am saddened at the lack of post-game content with my friends. Would have loved for the ability to bring them along on more quests to bond with them. There's no reason they wouldn't decline to go with Aloy on a side quest just to get a change of scenery. One of the game's themes was the power of friendship!

Not a fan of The Bloat. I don't see myself replaying this one as much as I did HZD and Frozen Wilds. It took me 80 hours to do everything but the melee pits, arena, most of the Outposts, and Hunting Grounds (and Strike, if that counts). My interest is piqued to see what else comes with NG+, but otherwise I may just wait for the DLC.

First game was a 10/10, this one is an 8.5. I hope Guerilla takes these criticisms to heart and make the stellar conclusion this story and world deserve.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Hollismason posted:

What stuff do you get if she lives? I let her live but I don't recall any specific thing that she gave

just talking to her at the Base. she takes Beta's room and when you enter, there's a cutscene of her perched on one of the computers, sharpening her blade. Regalla needed more screen time, she's so fun to watch

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Falukorv posted:

There is a greenchunk slab there while you are at it. Beware of nessie though.

nessie was broken for me lol. just staying in one place and not noticing me

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
also the score is 1000x prettier

i'm definitely not on my third listen

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Wasn't a fan of season 1 since Geralt's storyline was really monster-of-the-week, but I loved season 2.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah the tutorial sequence is one of my favorite bits of the game cuz of Aloy breaking Varl's brain over and over, I would miss playing through it. Also because you don't get a companion quest with Varl after that.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah I couldn't get into ER as much as I wanted to. The exploration was fun and reminded me of playing BotW when it was new, but I just don't have the time or will to git gud (and google how to solve every quest). If they gave it an easy mode, I would explore every nook and cranny of that world.

I will also say HFW didn't really wow me with any machine reveals. The Slitherfang was about it, and that was the tutorial. I still remember how tense I was in the leadup to the Deathbringer in HZD, just hearing the distant explosions and beeping getting clearer as I neared the arena.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I hope there's another DLC coming? I liked what we got, but I wanted... more. Tbf I only did quests that were along the path of the main one, so I plan on doing some flying around and on-foot exploration to see what I find. Frozen Wilds was like a whole bonus game so it's strange this is what they settled on.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Been wandering around Burning Shores for collectables since beating all the quests. The delver locations were fun (though I had to look up the location for 2 of them), and I liked the Vantage points, but turns out there's a bug where if you find Northeast before North, that Vantage can't be played, which prevents you from getting the final one.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I forgot Cauldron Iota is combined with overriding a Tallneck, that was such a clever thing to vary up the game design

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
it takes so many shots to knock off machine weapons and then when you use them, they barely do any damage and have terrible aim

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Every time I unmount my aggressive clawstrider, they go off to fight the last machines we passed and usually I only realize what happened when I see the experience come up or my call mount button is red :(

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I do love when I have to dismount before entering a village and then they just run around in the background of any cutscenes looking for enemies to gently caress up

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I mostly miss tearshot arrows and the sound they made.

Also Berserk arrows are pretty useless when you shoot a machine and it just immediately knows where you are and every other machine ignores it while it comes over to fight you.

That said, the berserk valor surge is great when going into a battle with more than 2 enemies.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
northwest of Vegas, i overrode the slitherfang and lured it to the bellowback. they started ranged fighting until the bellowback got close enough that the slitherfang hit it with its tail and it flew half a football field away.

now i need to see what other machines were never meant to meet in combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I agree, the HFW ones were just too organic and curvy, which makes them look more like an animal rig with a robot skin over it. still liked their designs but none were as striking as the thunderjaw or ravager.

speaking of which, were there any HZD machines NOT in HFW? i dont recall seeing a trampler or that first mount you get in HZD...