Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Less than a month away, boys and girls and those outside that binary!

Also, it cannot be said nearly enough. gently caress Ted Faro.

Am I the only one trying to avoid looking at too much ahead of release day? I went into HZD relatively unspoiled and while I want to see some of the new wrinkles for HFW, part of me wants to go in as clean as I can for maximum discovery immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

I brought a sign that said F*** TED FARO to a wrestling PPV does that count

I’ll allow it. Bonus points if Maffew actually managed a picture of it to display.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

Here's something pretty cool... Some guy made a website called The Apollo Archive, an interactable online database of all the audio logs and text files from the game. I'll add it to the OP!

Ooh poo poo. I think I’ve found what I’m looking at tomorrow during my downtime from Ys VIII.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Cactus posted:

One thing I'm not looking forward to is having to play on a pad. I've got an UH run going right now on the original game, and while I was a bit dubious at first I've come to the realisation that this was the way the game was meant to be played. It's forcing me to be careful while travelling, to dodge properly and whip the camera round in combat, and to take full advantage of the machines weak points. M&k control is probably the only thing making that possible for me and I want to play the sequel on the hardest difficulty but the pad is going to be a serious handicap for me there.

I’m the complete opposite. I do next to no gaming on the PC, am far more at home with a controller in hand, and not the best at action games. You put this in front of me with KB/M, I don’t care if it’s on story difficulty, I’m never getting out of Nora lands.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

It doesn't come out until March 31st lol I'll have 100%ed the game through sheer force of will by that point.

Hell, same.

For $30 I’m jumping on that anyway.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
I took a week off from work for this release and also because I was bumping up against maximum time accrued. So two birds with one heavy spear attack it is!

The last time I did this for a game was Final Fantasy XIII (yeah, go ahead and laugh). I already know I’m not getting my current project completed by then (Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark), but I don’t care. Bring me the Forbidden West!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Cactus posted:

Yeah that seems to be a rough equivalence to how I feel; I think Elden ring will be great but I'm hyped for Forbidden West and I'm indifferent to Elden Ring.

Thanks for responding it's nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't really care about something the entire internet is going crazy about :)

I also give zero shits about Elden Ring. I’m already looking forward to next Friday and may even nap after work so I can start it at midnight.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
The preload is sitting on my PS5 Home Screen. Taunting me.

Friday cannot get here fast enough.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Regy Rusty posted:

It's all I can think about I've been sitting around bored on my free time because I just wanna be playing Horizon lol

I can relate. I’ve had a couple other projects I’ve been working on lose their luster this week because Friday is too close.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
I simply didn’t have the funds for a collector’s edition or higher. Then again I was lucky enough to get a PS5 from a Sony Direct invitation so that probably used up all my luck for the next two years.

I’ll settle for a hardcover strategy guide I’ll keep as a collector’s item instead that doesn’t release until likely three weeks after I finish the game.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I honestly can’t even bother with playing games these past few days because what’s the loving point I’ll be dropping them like a ROCK on friday

Yup. Fell Seal? Arceus? Come Friday I am going to forget those ever existed for a good while.

The only thing that won’t is the FF6 Pixel Remaster (if only because I’ll work on that when both PS5 controllers and my headset need to charge).

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Ace Transmuter posted:

I just learned that you can dye your armor and why hasn't this been front and center in every review

Well, Fashiondawn is making a comeback I see.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
One of my friends on Twitter tagged me with a screenshot of HFW. Lucky bastard got a store that didn’t give a gently caress about street dates.

So jealous. I’m actually debating napping now and booting at midnight or sleeping as normal, get up at the normal 6 am alarm/cat whining, and going then.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
3.5 hours in, at Chainscrape. Playing Performance Mode because I don’t have a fancy 4K TV.

Need to get my muscle memory back but I’m loving this so far.

Also thank the Fates for custom remapped controls, moving dodge to Square instead of O has been a huge help for me so far.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

Ah my first look at the Forbidden West *starts looting corpses*

Yup. That was me, too. One does not simply walk into the Forbidden West without looting anything not nailed down.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Just finished the Lv 20-ish (it’s either 20 or 22, mind’s drawing a blank) story quest, and then the one that immediately follows that.

I don’t care what reality says, Nessie is real and I just killed her robot in Vegas. :(

Also, hard agree on Ashly Burch deserving an award. That first sequence in the base with Aloy and Beta was just…drat.

Personal speculation spoilers follow: In before Ted Faro actually went with Far Zenith, we find this out in Thebes, and we get to shoot him in the dick as a Zenith boss fight.

Resuming the Lv 17 story quest tomorrow, some 28 hours deep into the game. I’ve been exploring and doing almost everything that comes in front of me, but if I’m wanting to at least beat the game before I go back to work on Monday I probably need to step up the pace a little.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Burden of Command spoilers:

Whom in the blue gently caress thought it’d be a laugh to have a Thunderjaw and a Stormbird fight you at the same goddamn time?! I just spent an hour on that mission and the first time that loving bird showed up while the Thunderjaw was still alive, I was promptly shock-balled to death from above. loving Christ on a cracker, that was an infuriating mission.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

ShadowedFlames posted:

Personal speculation Legacy’s Landfall speculation spoilers follow: In before Ted Faro actually went with Far Zenith, we find this out in Thebes, and we get to shoot him in the dick as a Zenith boss fight.

So I just got to this part.

loving Ceo needed to be kicked in the dick first before getting that statue dropped on him. What a loving tool.

Also, part of me was morbidly curious to see what Faro had mutated into, just to put arrows in his whatever now passes for a face.

Also, it continues to be true. gently caress Ted Faro. Those datapoints in Thebes… Jesus Christ, that was some depressing poo poo!

Think I’m going to make a second save at this point. This one will be my backup to work from in case (quest type) the loyalty missions are too drat annoying to pick up in the postgame, if HFW works like ZD did. Rather just get them done today and power through the rest of the story before I go back to work on Monday.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

FrickenMoron posted:

I give up on the last 2 challenges for the pitmaster in the lowlands. The inputs listed just dont work and I dont really get any feedback on what im doing wrong about them. It'd probably help a lot if it highlighted a correct button input like in monster hunter when you try out combos in the training area.

It took me ten minutes to finally get those two.

Then it took me thirty to beat the drat pit master.

Question regarding rebel camps vs rebel outposts, spoiling due to later developments I’ve already been spoiled on elsewhere: Is it camps, outposts, or a combination of both one needs to do to open up Erend’s loyalty mission?

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Klungar posted:

Just Camps, Not Outposts. There are six total, doing the first five will unlock the sixth, which is the relevant one here.

Thank you kindly!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Only bug I’ve run into in 63 hours of play this week:

https://twitter.com/shadowedflames/status/1497759106765144069?s=21

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
And that’s the story done. 66 hours.

My turn for ending thoughts/chat:
So that definitely took a turn towards Mass Effect, huh? Well then. My name is Commander Aloy, and this is my favorite base in the Forbidden West!

Only have about 8 trophies to get to platinum this. I know I am missing one machine scan because gently caress Rockbreakers, a handful of machine kills, and a couple side quests. As soon as this hour-long credit scene wraps, it’s lunch time and then back to work on platting the game!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

FrickenMoron posted:

That was easier to get than I thought. Good game overall, improved on 1 in every way. Combat is still very meh though. Maybe 3rd time's the charm for that. Time to move on to Elden Ring!

Just got my platinum, 71 hours and change in. gently caress an Elden Ring, I’m off to FF6 Pixel Remaster until it’s time for a story playthrough for the roommate and/or DLC.

I’m just hoping Horizon 3 launches without another major title nearby (BOTW, Elden Ring, etc.).

Now I can finally go back and read the spoilers!

And as always, gently caress Ted Faro.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
My go-to load out ran roughly like so:

Hunter bow with normal/advanced hunter arrows, normal fire arrows (main weapon)

Warrior bow, acid/shock/frost arrows (surprisingly quick at elemental status buildup),l

Sharpshot bow, normal/plasma/HONK arrows

Boltcaster, Frost/shock/plasma ammo

Spikethrower, normal/explosive and replaced later by the one that gives light DOT on a full power normal spike

The sixth spot was for whatever else would be handy (blast sling, ropecaster, tripcaster, etc.).

That did me enough to get through. I actually like the boltcaster and I know I’m in the minority for that.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
I stuck with the top one in the Hunter tree the entire game. When I replay it for my roommate I’ll experiment with the others, but being able to triple nock an advanced hunter arrow and hit a weak spot for 2000 damage basically made my decision for me.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah, after that particular mission with the Shredder I gave up using it. It’s hard for me to find where it’s returning to mid-battle and I have enough difficulty as it is without artificially adding more.

Lobok posted:

Shredder was never all that good at killing turtles.

There’s also this underappreciated gem, too.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

Arena is going to be the thing that breaks me from the need to fully 100% the game since I don't think you need to fully clear it for the plat.

Only one set of challenges for the Arena is needed.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Falukorv posted:

What machines do you find the hardest to fight? After having fought everything, I gotta hand it to apex fireclaws.

The fight just outside Thebes—I think it’s an Apex Thunderjaw or Ravager, one of those two—is the only one that I loathed to the point of shutting the game off for a day to calm down. Bastard would not stay down after a dozen tries and I got lucky just before my DualSense went flying across the living room.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Hollismason posted:

Weird I really loved that fight , but I was playing the game on normal. I just thought it was a fun fight. I set up traps and brace shot that fucker.

I played on normal too. I just hit a wall on that fight. :shrug:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Hollismason posted:

Wait you can glide inside a tornado?

Yeah. I thought for a while that’s how you got the “glide for x time” trophy but I couldn’t manage it there. Actually had to do it legit by going to the top of your base mountain and glide off to the northeast towards Plainsong.

Main issue I had was that after getting an upglide from the tornado the glider just disappeared. Think that even happens if you don’t reach the theoretical high limit for the glider, may be the storm just kills stamina to prevent cheesing flight for a while.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Madurai posted:

It's a reasonable guess, especially since it's on the map.

I might have to load my file up tonight now that my left trigger finger doesn’t ache when I pull on L2 anymore and try to find this. I didn’t stumble across it in my original run.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Welp. There’s my excuse to do a second run. News about the Sunwing override helped make that an easy decision.

NG+ Ultra Hard, here I come!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
I spent literally 4 hours last night beating my head against the final boss on UH NG+, and still no success. I’ll try again next week (give myself ample time to not want to throw a DualSense at my TV) but loving hell, even the drat GEMINI cauldron fight went easier and that was a bottleneck in my original run.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

ShadowedFlames posted:

I spent literally 4 hours last night beating my head against the final boss on UH NG+, and still no success. I’ll try again next week (give myself ample time to not want to throw a DualSense at my TV) but loving hell, even the drat GEMINI cauldron fight went easier and that was a bottleneck in my original run.

It took going back to a manual save and grabbing one weapon (the legendary Blastsling) and a much cleaner Eric fight but four tries later, UH NG+ is done.

I don’t know why I do this to myself anymore but holy gently caress, my heart is still pounding 15 minutes later.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Feels like a gut punch.

What a terrible end to the week.

Horizon 3 isn’t going to be the same.

Requiescat in pace.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

I was going to buy this DLC regardless so I'm happier about the price point, I thought it was gonna be 30bux at least.

Same. I’ll have to wait a couple of weeks because of “budgeting” (such as it is with what little free money I do have). But there was no way I was passing this up when it was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Olothreutes posted:

So what are the chances that I can just use the 100+ skill points I have laying around from NG+ to grab all the new skills right away? I only had zero dawn with the dlc so I'm not sure how it interacted on release.

If memory serves (so take with some salt), you were totally able to do this. I seem to recall getting half the new tree filled out immediately since I didn’t have a full loadout of points left over, only a couple of them.