Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
proposal: repopulate earth after machine apocalypse

reality: a girl falls through the earth and into technological catacombs. taking a bluetooth from the corpse she spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest one by the shoulders she shakes it madly yelling "my n***a have you tried HZD"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Honestly I think this game had a bit too much Design in its combat. I just tried to stick to what I did in HZD because there were so many different options and a bunch of them felt like traps. Maybe I’m bad though.

E: sharpshot

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Zero Dawn on the PS5 has some lighting problems. The "hero lighting", mostly in Meridian" is super severe with characters being bleached white. Other spots with deep shadow causes the characters to go almost pitch black, like they fell in some tar. I don't remember this being a problem on the PS4 version of the game. It's not HDR either. So if you're replaying it like I am, just be warned that some conversations in Meridian might burn the eyeballs with glitched lighting.

The sundom vs the shadow

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I really don’t like Talanah’s pants in HFW. Imo they’re stupid! Why would you make pants like that.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

If you override your raptor on Aggressive setting it will be INSANELY aggro forever and often tear off in search of kill when you think you’re just parking to do a viewpoint or something. They are awful children but it’s very funny to see them go Jurassic Park on a rebel camp.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Ropecasters are still extremely good in Forbidden West, even stronger than they were in Zero Dawn, they're just different mechanically because of their very slow drawspeed. Instead of chain spamming ropes (which admittedly, was pretty fun) the correct way to tie down machines in HFW is to initiate from a slide or anything that will give you Quickdraw. This is important because Quickdraw not only allows you to aim faster, but also increases the buildup of the tiedown effect. Done properly you should be able to take down any elite machine in 2-3 ropes, with anything smaller going down in one. With the new DLC skills you're guaranteed two critical strikes and can immediately tie down the machine again for two more. Super good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHoXC-RhGRU

Some people are talking about ropecasters and some people are talking about tripcasters, I think there's some confusion. (Fwiw I also thought tripcasters went from great to awful in HFW but maybe I'm just bad)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I think this game leans too hard on compound words to name everything, they really start to blur together.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Hey, Guerilla. Where’s Ikrie at? Where’s the girl, Guerilla? Where’s Ikrie? That’s all I wanna know. Where the gently caress is Ikrie? Huh? Guerilla? Guerilla? Listen to me! Where the gently caress is Ikrie? Huh? I don’t want this west coast girlfriend dating me. Imma get my own girlfriend. Okay? So just get back in your ship, and get the gently caress back west. Yeah, I made my decision. Where’s Ikrie at? Where the gently caress is Ikrie? Where’s Ikrie, Guerilla? Guerilla! Where the gently caress is Ikrie! Huh? Guerilla!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Stoatbringer posted:

What will they do for Sylens in the next game? Find a voice actor who can sound very similar, or maybe introduce a new character ("Sorry, Sylens is really really busy doing research, he sent me along to help"), or actually kill off the character entirely?

He spent two days getting spammed with status updates from Aloy’s gang of focus wearing clowns and got back on the spaceship

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

There’s so much poo poo coming at you, from valor surges to special moves to resonator detonations to kind of gimmicky/marginal-seeming elemental types (purge water, plasma, adhesive???) to a bunch of weapon crafting to, well, food. All that just felt like noise on top of the very cool stuff I love about Horizon combat, the detailed damage model and the agile, aggressive robots whose behavior you’ve got to learn.

I ended up just playing it as much like HZD as I could, plus gradually working in the new weapons when they didn’t seem to have really annoying gimmicks. I think the game felt cleaner when it was just about interacting with machine components and triggering elemental effects.

Maybe I’m just old and set in my ways :(

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Focus ping is good, but also means you're going to be spending tons of time with the world covered in yellow lines instead of actually looking at it. Kind of a bummer imo.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

e: this was not an interesting post

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's fine the way it is, because that whole plot beat is kind of silly, so the less of it the better.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Is there any lore on what happened in the oceans? Did the Faro Swarm suck up all the plankton and so forth?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah, oof.

One interesting thing about the oceans is that they require viral infections to work right - about 20% of all microbial life in Earth's oceans is killed by viruses every day, which frees up food for growth and helps rain carbon down into the deep sea for storage + climate regulation.

I wonder if GAIA re-infected the oceans.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

also, does anyone actually use overriding for anything other than getting a mount? for all the trouble some of these cauldrons are (Chi kicked my rear end up & down) it sure seems less than useful, even with points in the machine tree

If you override a clawstrider on aggressive it will become your terrible son…you can’t even do stealth because if you get near an encampment your terrible child will smell blood and go Lost World on their rear end

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

does anyone know how not to get my loving rear end kicked in machine strike? i want to get into a collectable board minigame but i'm, you know, getting my loving rear end kicked

1. It's really terrible and obnoxious and I don't understand people who like it
2. The key is just baiting the AI into feeding you pieces, don't try to be aggressive. The high level opponents are more unlikely to make a mistake which makes the games tedious and long. The high value pieces aren't really worth using because you can't trade with them and when you lose them the game is basically over. Or maybe I suck with them, dunno. I leaned a lot on the flying guys

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Febreeze posted:

She does this in the first game too if you go back to visit Rost's grave periodically. I discovered it on my second playthrough and it actually adds a lot to that relationship

exquisite tea posted:

I avoid that by toggling auto-run in accessibility settings.

Talk about running from your problems!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Defensive is more like Passive and Aggressive is basically their normal AI, afaict.

Defensive makes a lot more sense for lil mounts who you really don't want fighting at all.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

My horrible child has cleared another rebel camp unprompted and all I've left to do is rake up the viscera

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

tarbrush posted:

It's also possible Aloy didn't realise lesbians were A Thing

Even if her upbringing somehow had no queer people (seems unlikely since they occur naturally!) five seconds with Petra would be enough education for anyone

I thought HZD showed a pretty strong difference between how Aloy reacted to men hitting on her and how she reacted to women, but that difference didn't (imo) have to be a reaction of sexual preference or even sexual interest — it might've been Aloy being less wary of women for whatever reason. Which is kind of weird when you think about it, she's from a matriarchal society, you wouldn't expect Vigilance Against Sex Pests to be a huge part of her upbringing.

Then again HZD's fictional world is embedded inside ours, where women definitely are more wary of men (for good reason) so maybe Aloy is reflecting that...also Carja society is patriarchal, inn't? So maybe Aloy's just not about those vibes?

Anyway I think Kotallo has tremendous BDE welp that's all from me goons

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

In my perhaps too pessimistic opinion I thought Seyka suffered from coming at the tail end of a general slide in writing quality in HFW :(

Maybe I'm just being mean though!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Falukorv posted:

Well technically Aloy can meet gay people before Tilda. She can do Ikottehs sidequest before meeting Tilda, and also speak to Alva about her girlfriend back in China before embarking to Gemini. And then theres the audio datapoint at Deaths Door between Liz and Tilda, although questionable if it is explicit enough for Aloy to draw that connection. And the oseram stopped from visiting a shrine by a nasty carja priest, one his dead partner was involved in building, is also gay (HZD sidequest)

There is no chance Aloy grew up without learning about gay people. Even if she barely talked to anyone except Rost, presumably he explained the birds and the bees at some point (especially given Aloy's curiosity about her own mother) and there's no reason the Nora would be strangers to the idea of The Queers.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

My partner was obsessed with the Apex Predators challenge on Very Hard, I think she eventually beat it in under the recommended time and it put her somewhere in the top 200 on the global leaderboard. poo poo's hard as hell!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

Her upbringing didn't include any examples of queer romantic relationships but it also didn't include any examples straight ones

Rost is an outcast because he left Nora turf to avenge his wife and daughter. Aloy is an outcast because she has no mom. She also has a focus. There is a 0% chance she doesn’t understand human sexuality.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

You gotta wonder how that came about, depending on which historians you believe patriarchy took a while to form IRL and was probably tied to some pretty specific historical situations I can’t really imagine happening post-GAIA. But hey…it’s a video game. (Still I’d be unironically into an in world explanation of how Carja gender systems developed)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

In human history, societies tended to become more patriarchal during the early Bronze Age, where mass agriculture led to the formation of great centralized cities, the consolidation of a priestly class and the ability of leaders to mobilize large armies.

David Graber disputes the inevitability of this process (settlement = patriarchy) and I uncritically believe everything he writes!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Slaughterspines have cool music

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

In retrospect (and not including DLC), which is the better game - HFW or HZD? I'm thinking of replaying one soon and trying to decide which.

HZD

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I liked the first game cause I could just shoot arrows at robots :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Slitherfangs lean really hard into the 'everything is wiggly' angle of HFW's combat loop, but I don't hate it, because they are snakes. Burrowers are REALLY wiggly. And don't get me started on those loving kangaroos