Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Maybe it's because I like Lance Reddick in most things he's in, but I couldn't hate Sylens. He focuses too much on the long term goal over the short term issues, but he did seem guilty about the cult thing, and he grows to at least respect Aloy by the end.

His obsession with recovering knowledge at any cost is his fatal flaw, but he's also the only one bothering to do so. I hope they keep him as an anti-hero who clashes with Aloy over his methods, but they have to work together, rather than having him go full bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Ted's actions not only deleted APOLLO, but left the first generation of clones with an AI caretaker completely unfit to take care of their social and emotional needs, crammed into a tiny space, until the habitat broke down because they hadn't had the planned training to care care of it, and the AI had to shove them out when the food ran out, when they were planned to be the core of the human rebuilding project.

I take it he never read Lord of the Flies.

Slyens keeping HADES at the end might be risky, but its trapped, has information about the past and they need to know who sent that mysterious signal.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 23, 2022

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

Sylens' flaw is that his drive for knowledge is purely selfish. I never once got the impression that he was planning on opening a school or whatever when he was done to share what he'd learned for future generations. Teaching, sharing knowledge, these things are not exactly in his nature. He's already apparently learned physics, calculus, he's reverse engineered wireless networking, and he hasn't exactly been in a rush to share that knowledge. And i cant picture him doing so without there being something in it for him.

Yeah the impression I got from his character was "let me get it all, then everyone can have it after I get first look". He's very long term minded, but there's pros and cons to that.
Once that knowledge is recovered, disseminating it is the next big issue - they mention that APOLLO was designed to have teaching modules that tested well, but even if they Sylens and Aloy can stitch APOLLO back together, getting it out to the people is going to be the hard part.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

JBP posted:

I always take him as wanting to check it out himself and not trusting people to do the right thing with it. I might play the game again even though I decided not to. Be nice to get reacquainted with Sylens in particular.

Yeah him coming to trust Aloy and respect her more by the end of the game is an important plot point.