Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's a shame the grapple animation in the robot dinosaur game isnt realistic enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Maybe HADES just projected a little red blob from a hidden hologram thingy to trick Sylens and is actually totally free to be the antagonist again.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Just finished The Dying Lands.

The story isn't really landing for me at this stage. GAIA's infodump is just way too much too soon, not in that it's overwhelming but that it just answers almost everything. The only big question the game has asked so far is "what's the deal with these dickhead space wizards" and they've answered it in the very next story mission, along with a bunch of the leftover mysteries from the first game, without adding much new for me to want to follow up on beyond some fleshing out. Aside from hoping to find another twist the only narrative drive right now is finding out what Sylens is up to.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I love Morlund. He's no Gildun but he's the next best thing.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Lobok posted:

I went there after I read your post and wow, yeah. They've got purples and Legendaries. Not that I can afford the latter yet, gotta find those Apex machines. And great armours as well.

The smaller settlement Tidesreach or something like that a bit north up the coast from there has decent stuff as well.

Yeah there's good armour but none of it is as pretty as my blue shadow carja armour so...

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Ytlaya posted:

Apparently the permanently overridden hogs disappear after you've quit the game (aside from your actual mount). Probably for the best. I can always go "hog wild" if I really decide I want something dead.

Looking forward to the climax of this game when the evil invulnerable guy shows up and Aloy proceeds to ride towards him followed by 50 giant hogs

Legit question for Shadow Carja, how do I kill the 30-50 feral bristlebacks that run into my yard within in 3-5 minutes while I try to destroy the world?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Okay I'm a page or two late but I played through it today and here's my take on Faro's Tomb.

It does feel like there should be a bigger Thing about it. Even just finding it is underwhelming, the prep is "it's somewhere in San Francisco but that's all we know", so I expected a bit of a hunt, but the moment Aloy introduces herself the locals basically just go "oh yeah, it's over there, want to come?" and walk her to the door. Then inside I was expecting something so grand it's basically obscene but aside from a big entrance hallway it's just like every other old ruin, and not even a big one. All the logs are just "Faro sure is a dick" stuff rather than anything actually particularly interesting/awful. It is neat to see the return of the corruptors but they're not much of a challenge at this point, especially with all the backup from the Quen. Should've thrown in a deathbringer as well.

A Faro boss wouldn't have fit right, and I definitely got "immobile flesh heap living in agony" more than "angry tentacle monster" from the story, but it did feel a bit underwhelming to just have a standard door with a standard corridor behind it with the whole encounter being a two minute cutscene mostly starring a character I only met 30 minutes ago (who then dies a few minutes later). At the very least he deserved a conversation where the hosed up mess insists everything he's done is right and he's not really been miserable and alone and in pain for a whole millenium, and then we'd get the satisfaction of being able to say gently caress Ted Faro directly to him before Ceo sets him on fire. The escape was kind of neat but actually didn't have a whole lot going on beyond some lethal terrain to step around.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong later but it felt shoehorned in, like it wasn't part of the original plan. Aside from the omega clearance macguffin it didn't really connect to anything that's happened so far in the game and didn't seem to set up much going forward. I do see why someone would feel like there was a bunch of content cut, because it is extremely basic and separate from everything else, given how significant it is in the setting.

Also this is a vent but holy poo poo the loving climbing in this game is terrible. I don't remember it being this bad in HZD. Aloy spends half her time superglued to a spot despite the next one, or just even just regular level ground, being literally right in front of her. And then the other half of the time she's just sliding off poo poo into the abyss like there isn't a glowy yellow line to grab on to at all. Cleaning up the cauldrons is going to drive me to drink.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Besides the greenshine is there any reward for completing all the sunken caverns? I dont need that much of it and they're not a lot of fun, but I'd do it for a cool weapon or something.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Okay, game finished.

The story definitely didn't reach the heights of the original for me - it's (much) better than the tribal parts of the first game, but it kind of feels like any other "good" story. It seems like the Zeniths/Beta and then the Nemesis reveal are attempts to raise the same kind of "holy gently caress" moments in the creeping revelations of what happened to the world that we got in the first game, but the Zeniths are discussed and explained too quickly and then Nemesis is basically just a sequel hook dropped at the end.

It's nice they didn't just write HADES 2: The Revengening but I think a better way to do that would have been more Zenith politics. Tilda popping up towards the end was cool but aside from that they're basically just guys who pop up, cackle a bit, do something bad so we know they're evil and then gently caress off again. I am curious, were there hints I missed about Nemesis or what they were really after up until it was actually revealed? I pretty much took it at face value that Beta was right about their plan, but maybe there's uncertainty and clues that I missed.

edit: oh I also forgot to add, Singularity is an incredible mission. The Slaughterspine army, Zo killing Erik, the Specter Prime fight, the absolutely stunning scenery and level design, the whole thing. It completely sold me on the Zenith aesthetic, which I'd kind of felt hadn't quite worked up to that point, but it turned out what it really needed was to be presented in all it's majesty rather than some dude floating glinting completely in contrast to literally everything else.

That said, outside the big saving the world plot, there's a lot to like. The Tenakth and Utaru feel much more fleshed out and interesting than the relatively one dimensional tribes in the first game. Zo is a fantastic character, and I love Kotallo and Alva as well. Varl's death genuinely shocked me. The writing and acting is good enough to keep the side quests and errands compelling, even when they're essentially fetch quests.

My guess for DLC is heading to this burning shores place to recapture HEPHAESTUS. Maybe Vast Silver will make an appearance (did that get a mention in any of the logs I might have missed?). My sequel theory is heading over to the Quen homelands to depose the authoritarian Emperor and hopefully draw on their extensive archive of forbidden knowledge to find something to use against Nemesis. I also hope we get to slap Sylens, even if he does end the game marginally less of a bastard.

Gameplay wise, I feel like it's two steps foward one step back. The increased weapon variety is great, but hampered by the grindy upgrade system everyone's complained about. The glider is great, but before you get to do that you usually have to climb, and god forbid Aloy ever be able to find a handhold six inches from the last one when she has the option of yeeting herself into oblivion or just staying superglued to whatever she's on at that moment. The flying mount is cool, but they give it to you way too late. The other thing that really irked me was interact prompts being too tight in when the present themselves - the number of times I hit circle and wasn't quite up against the right spot of the bonfire so just rolling over it...

It's a brilliant looking game too, even on PS4, and I know others had problems but I only had two serious bugs in my 60-ish hours.

All in all, it's not as good as Zero Dawn for me (which is a serious contender for my favourite game ever) but it's still really, really good. Now on to Elden Ring.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 13, 2022

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

exquisite tea posted:

Vast Silver is mentioned in the datapoints and very conspicuously too. The last discoverable world datapoint entry is a chatlog between two scientists theorizing that VS was never really captured and dismantled as once claimed. Past Silver. Curiously the final line ends with the sentence "if you wanna talk to the singularity" which shares the same name as the final story mission. "Odyssey Ready?" was the last world datapoint in Zero Dawn so I think this is all very intentionally pointing toward Vast Silver factoring heavily into the third game.

Thanks. I definitely missed a bunch of world datapoints so yeah it checks out all the important information was in those :v:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Burning Shores would also be a nice thematic contrast to Frozen Wilds. I doubt HAEPHESTUS is the DLC goal though, because it'll probably be an accessible-anytime thing like FW was. Also HAEPHESTUS needs to stay rogue so there's rogue machines in Horizon 3 to fight.

True about the accessibility thing, but I'm not sure it needs to stay rogue. It would be awkward to be in the third game having basically the same point as the second, and I'm also not sure it needs a time pressure beyond Nemesis' arrival. Maybe Nemesis, the extra advanced murder AI, can just start hijacking cauldrons once it gets a bit closer?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Does Nemesis have any actual hardware or is it just a floaty glowy like the other AI type things?

It's probably not compatible with anything on Earth and will have to just sit around monologuing for a thousand years. Game 3 is about something else entirely.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I don't mind the farming bit, the combat is great and dunking on robots is basically the best part of the game, but agreed on having to wrangle everything onto the weapon wheel. I'm like halfway through the playthrough still using a warrior bow I got like an hour in to pop shock canisters because I haven't found anything else with shock arrows that would be worth investing in.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Aloy holding up a whole goddamn fighter jet lmao.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I am having a really great time remembering why I never bothered with the arena challenges on playstation.

I love being ragdolled into the corner while I can't see poo poo and have had all my gear replaced by poo poo that takes six minutes per shot.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I feel like they really overlooked overriding when it comes to encounter design, there's all the skills and equipment to make it work and then very few opportunities to actually use it to full effect, especially in the narrative set pieces. I've spent a tonne of time on my current run beelining to cauldrons, unlocking corrupted overrides and upgrading the relevant gear, but there's so few places where I've actually been able to set up cool fights because there's just not that many big machines near other big machines or rebel camps. I mostly just end up taking clawstriders because at least they're easy to bring wherever you're going (if you're allowed a mount there, anyway), but that's kind of boring and even heavily upgraded they fall over pretty quickly in the back half of the game.

I'm already spending a bunch of setup time to sneak up on a monster and grab it, and sacrificing the ability to knock crafting bits off (it's never fun to have an ally that kills stuff before you get a chance to play around), they could at least give me the satisfaction of slamming a slitherfang into a rockbreaker occasionally.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What's been bothering me is why does the Base suck so much as a base? You spawn way outside, everything is in little rooms that I keep running into the wrong one and finding myself on the wrong side of wall for the stash, and most of the game's services aren't even in there.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there something in Burning Shores that makes it look like total poo poo? It's got this weird grain fuzz, especially when there's movement. The main game occasionally looked weird when there were dust effects and stuff but nothing like this.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

exquisite tea posted:

Likely you have dynamic resolution enabled and your system is hitting some bottleneck causing it to downscale hardcore. Would recommend turning down LoD and/or volumetric clouds since Burning Shores tends to murder them. Or turn off dynamic res and suffer the consequences.

Ah, thank you, I could've sworn I turned that off on my first boot, it's basically always the first thing I check when I play a game. Guess the improvements for the DLC just tipped me over the edge. I still seem to be at 50-60 basically all the time so idk what problem it had with me.

Also, while I'm posting, fuuuuuck waterwings.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It sounds like my waterwing problem is
different, because my experience has been that they literally just fly around at the very edge of my bow's range, with their tiny weak points that would already be hard to hit, bombarding me at a constant rhythm.

Like, the fight with three at once was literally just like ten minutes of pinging one arrow, rolling sideways, repeat. I don't think any of them ever got close enough to hit with a spike, or attempted any other kind of attack or behaviour that might have given an opening.

Not difficult, just deeply unfun.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I like adhesive, as someone who is bad at video games it's nice to be able to slow down a wiggly guy so you can knock off those tiny components that disappear behind the rest of the machine by the time I've drawn my bow, and post ropecaster it's a respectable crowd control option for when I'm struggling with multiple machines at once and need to take a one out of the fight for a bit.

I wish it were on weapons that were otherwise more useful to me.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

ohmygod my boy gildun is back!!! best expansion, no notes.

edit: :smith: :unsmith: :smith: :unsmith:

And Ron is no Concrete Beach Party but I do like him.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Okay, I've finished Burning Shores, and my verdict is it's cool. Spoiler tags just in case there's anyone even slower at gaming than me hanging about.

Walter was a good villain, I loved the cult angle rather than straightforward enslavement, although I did think the thing about auditioning for the role of wife was a bit far, it's the wrong kind of hosed up for Horizon, tonally, and frankly I think that's the point where the Quen would have asked questions. They've been manipulated and don't have the full celebrity culture rundown like I do, but they're not stupid. I thought the romance line was a bit spotty, sometimes they were cute and sometimes it felt very stilted, not in the intentional first love way, like they just couldn't work out how to animate and voice Aloy actually being into someone after like 150 hours of her being grumpy.

The Horus fight was much better than I expected when I realised I was going to fight a Horus. Just an excellent job of combining huge and scary with ultimately beatable, and getting inside with Walter was a nice way of ending the whole affair on a personal note.

Once I got into some better waterwing fights I ended up quite liking them as a more aggressive sunwing. The biggest problem was that so many of the fights took place on beaches where one wrong step and you're just completely powerless in the water, which isn't a fun way to get killed. Bileguts are great fun, really dense on things to aim for, really good attack patterns, and I like the little guys that are basically one shot kills but you do have to keep an eye on. On that topic, Cauldron Theta was absolutely fantastic and by far the best cauldron in the game. Being stalked by the apex bilegut who's obviously in charge was really cool, and mechanically the dropping canisters and moving platform were much more fun to play with than the extremely awkward climbing timing sequences and other bullshit from the main game. Also, it looked incredible, the glide into the core at the end was astonishing.

The spectre gauntlet seems bad. Apparently it was nerfed significantly shortly after release? The homing missiles feel cool, but actually never turned out to be better than just using hardpoints, and every time I tried the railgun I just ended up going back to hardpoints. I got a lot more use out of the other legendary stuff, the weapons and armour definitely fill in some niches that felt vacant, and they're significantly easier to upgrade which is great too. I loved the easy access to actual good coils too.