Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Thanks for those two summaries. I loved HZD, but it's been years since I beat it. I was lukewarm on the sequel, but after those two refreshers, I'm actually pretty pumped for the new game. No idea why I've been lukewarm, cuz I loved the original.

Never played Frozen Wilds, though.

There’s still time to play FW ahead of the release of FW! It’s worth returning to, especially for the couple new machines it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
He probably started a sex cult with a few slaves survivors.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

bobjr posted:

I do like how Sylens does kind of represent the story Elisabet told at the end with the tree, because while he is extremely smart, motivated, and curious, he also has almost no empathy outside of what helps him learn more.

Yeah he pretends to have remorse for helping create a dangerous cult, but if he hadn’t been betrayed and kept getting to learn more from Hades, Sylens would have never cared what the cult was doing.

He will absolutely make the same mistakes in the sequel, and happily trod over anyone who gets in his path.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Kazzah posted:

Sylens would give his right arm to be able to talk to you, an idiot goon, for a couple hours

:10bux:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
She’s also pretty good in Mythic Quest as a game tester.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
This is my first time preordering a game in years, so I’m the dumb one who’s gonna get burned.

I really hope this game is amazing though

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Always a good sign when there aren’t review embargoes.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Fake spoilers. Go.

Aloy will be able to tame and ride a Glinthawk.

Aloy gets murdered in the first chapter, as a comeuppance for her previous transgressions. Erend goes on a vengeance spree, tracking down Aloy’s murderers one-by-one.

The second half of the game you actually play as Aloy’s killer, and realize the people you’ve been murdering as Erend had good reason to hunt down Aloy and are just normal humans. At the end, you must decide as Erend: save your last remaining humanity and forgo killing the Aloy murderer, or kill the last Aloy murderer, completing your vengeance for Aloy’s death.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Oh come on there's probably like, less Confederate flags around for one.

Gaia’s attempt at Midwest animals just recreated neo-Nazis, I’m afraid.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I legitimately don’t understand how anyone uses gyro aiming, and Nintendo’s forced use of it in a ton of games (note: almost every Wii game) was a huge turn off for me.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The only entrance to Thebes is swim through Ted Faro's personal sewage pipe.

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Freeze/Blow up is the way with the big monsters. Freeze in general was insanely good in HZD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha-XUnpM2x0

Freeze was definitely more powerful overall compared to fire, since burning status just meant a few seconds of the machine effectively disabled while it reacted to the burning, and about 20 seconds of taking burn damage in low increments. Meanwhile, freeze meant multiplier damage for all normal arrows and additional chance to knock off parts, which was crazy effective.

Of course, certain animals being more prone to fire damage meant it was worth using flame arrows on them anyways, which showed they got the balancing and variety pretty well done.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Also, don't be too proud to watch some how-to videos on Youtube. Once I'd given myself a fair number of aid-free attempts, I got some help, both here and in videos.

Truth. One of the hunting grounds is about “stealth” despite only giving you 40 seconds to complete a couple of the challenges. And one of those was updated post launch to be one of the hardest, so looking up how to do it will still require multiple tries if you’re unlucky.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I ordered a physical copy and shipping is delayed because we just got a snow/ice storm :(

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I am a stupid dumb idiot and placed a pre-order with Wally World for a physical disk expecting it would show up tomorrow. Order has no tracking number and order has been "Preparing..." for days. Anyone else place a Wally World order or am I the only dumb one

Mine is GameStop. Supposed to arrive tomorrow, but may be delayed due to local weather. Hoping it gets here asap…

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Enabling aggressive mode on mounts is hilarious. The second you get off it they immediately run to the nearest robot to gently caress it up and get itself killed.

Before unlocking the passive vs. aggressive mode skill, don’t they all just default to aggressive mode?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

blue squares posted:

Yeah, I was really annoyed by this at first, too. But then I found out that basically nobody in the town likes him, he didn't get voted in, he manipulated people and contracts to get advantages, and he winds up coming off more like some small-town boss in a Western that everyone is afraid of crossing. He was only pretending to run a union.

To OPs point, this still comes across as anti-union. “See, unions don’t actually care about the workers anyways, while charging the workers money and forcing businesses to pay more than they otherwise would!”

I haven’t made it very far, but I’ll be very disappointed if Aloy doesn’t become Leader of the People as they overthrow the powers that be. Pretty sure Avad would cum at even the thought of Aloy dominating him and taking his power.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

While tracking down a scanner module, I ran into a rollerback and 3 lancehorns that weren't marked on the map, which was great because I needed a bunch of their parts, especially rollerback, so I killed them but I fast traveled away and when I came back, it had become a plowhorn site?

It’s likely a convoy. Convoys of machines will follow a path and can randomly be found. It consists of a transport type machine, and can be accompanied by various others.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Hopper posted:

I skipped a few pages but since "selling anxiety" came up repeatedly I am not sure this has been said:

If you accidentally sold pristine skulks, hearts or whatever for shards, you can apparently buy them back at any vendor.The buyback menu showed me pristine skull I had sold 2 days ago somewhere else when I checked on a random Oseram trader today.

I’m not sure if it’s the same as HZD, but the old buyback was limited to the last 20 items (or similar number) that you sold, and any past that became impossible to buyback

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Hollismason posted:

How do you complete the very first hunter trials where you have to shock 3 enemies? I shoot the powercell and it just gets knocked off or it doesn't shock any surrounding enemies.

Immediately when you start, there’s often multiple machines close to each other to the left. Sneak into that area, throw a rock to get them a little bit closer together, and then hit the power cell with shock ammo. If you’re lucky, this initial shock will hit multiple machines, and if you’re really lucky will also shock another machine with a power cell. This will allow you to set off another chain reaction quickly. Otherwise, wait for multiple enemies to engage you and this should put them all close enough that you’ll hit one or two more with the next chain reaction.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Hollismason posted:

What stuff should I not sell? I got a ton of poo poo in my inventory.

Don’t sell anything that says it could be used for upgrades. Additionally, don’t sell the metal blocks as they can be used in trades.

If you have a poo poo ton of something that you won’t ever use all of (resources, weaves, etc) then you can sell those.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

It's on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/ta5h27/horizon_forbidden_west_patch_107/

They nerfed propelled spike's ammo cost this is bullshit!!! They couldn't handle Aloy at the Olympic games

quote:

Fixed an issue in Gauntlet races where coming in last place could count as a win.

Pity wins should count imo

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Eggnogium posted:

Can’t really remember if Shellsnappers were in the last game but boy do I hate them. Something about how I fight causes their AI to spend 90% of its time burrowing from snipe spot to snipe spot. I just went 3 full minutes without doing a single point of damage, terrible design.

Agreed. They’re easy enough to cheese a fight against if you have cover nearby, but I just had one draw out the fight so fricken long just by tunneling underground constantly. It’s AI kept looking for a spot to tunnel out of to bellyflop on top of me. Since I was standing on a rock, it couldn’t find a spot and would just go back and forth underground without ever surfacing until it’s AI just had it resurface in one of two other spots.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Seriously, why did they remove the whistle? It’s functionally the same as throwing rocks, but less obnoxious.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Lobok posted:

Speaking of greenshine, does anybody know how to get the one on top of this little tower? I did some random exploring yesterday and went to the rear end end of the map so this one is on the far southwest coast. Pretty cool that going south of this I ended up in a semi-surprise Tideripper fight on the beach (the compass kind of spoiled it) and then farther on there's the ship/base of the Zeniths. It looks like maybe I could swim across to it but I'm assuming there'd be some form of insta-death.

Edit: you have to actually upload the image file, Lobok...

Might need a flying mount?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

e: It looks like GG shared some more of the combat-specific tweaks:

Fixed an issue where hitting a human enemy with a melee attack before triggering a Critical Strike

I definitely ran into that issue multiple times, because I tend to spam R1 to critical strike downed enemies, which usually results in using the light attack instead of critical strike right away. I noticed that often times an enemy would then have their health bar go to 0, but would then get up and start attacking again. Makes sense that it glitched and they didn’t actually lose that health.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Zebulon posted:

The hardest was probably the one that involved having to catch the discs from a Shredder Gauntlet to charge it up, honestly.

Amazingly, I managed to get that one first try and thought it was almost too easy. Which probably means I fluked into it and wouldn’t be able to replicate my success again lol.

The plasma blast challenge at that same location though…man that took me a few attempts.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Is it worth playing through all the machine strike people? It's one of the last things I have left to do

I have one intermediate player left, and two experienced players remaining to beat. I have already beaten the old lady who is supposedly the best strike player.

If you’re a completionist, go for it. Otherwise, the rewards are still just skill points and more strike pieces (to my knowledge) and the game play only gets worse as the opponent gets “better”. This means taking longer and longer to complete a board because they’re less likely to put their pieces in stupid positions.

As others have pointed out, the best way to have quicker games in which you do better is to employ one super strong piece and one low point piece. Once the low point piece dies, you’ll be able to use your good piece twice per turn and absolutely wreck the opponent.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I should probably make the time to play this game more, random google news articles are spoiling the game in the drat header images

as for machine strike, I haven't played it much but it's okay? kind of tedious

The more you play strike, the worse it gets. I like the concept, but man is it a chore to actually play.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I have about 50 small and 50 medium health potions in my stash, but my inventory has glitched out and won’t let me take any of them. Guess I’ll just rely on finding them in the wild and hope they don’t just get sent to my stash.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Is it because your potion inventory is full of other potions like stamina or cleansing potions, I think the limit for total amount of potions (of any kind, combined across all types) is like 6

The potion and inventory system in the game is not very good

I tried removing other potions from my inventory and it only allowed me to take back those specific potions, instead of being able to select others.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
It definitely feels like more machines have a natural sway and micro-movements to parts that make them feel more “alive” and natural, but also makes it harder to hit the smaller parts.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

The only weapons I just don't use are tripcaster and ropecaster. I just use traps instead and tying down machines didn't work in the first one on tough difficulties so I figure the same here

I played HZD only on ultra hard, and the ropecaster was fantastic at taking on big, tough enemies like the stormbird. It allowed you to use critical strike repeatedly, or more easily utilize the sling bombs to add status effects. It’s biggest issue was how expensive ammo was to repeatedly utilize.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

the ropecaster got nerfed badly by the new charge mechanic

I keep using it anyway out of habit but I suffer for it

I’ve yet to use it in HFW, because I heard how much it got nerfed. I’ll try it out someday, maybe.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Medullah posted:

I bought the collector's edition and i laughed because it comes with a regular game case, a Steelbook and....a code to download the game

:confused: I got the collectors edition with steelbook and it definitely has a disc.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Medullah posted:

The one with the Tremortusk statue? Both it and the Regalla edition have on the box "Download key for game provided" (I bought a Regalla to try and flip)

Edit -Upon double checking it's only the Steelbook, no regular case

Oh never mind - I just got the special edition. That’s hilarious that the even more expensive versions omit the disc, while the special edition still includes it.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
It really would be much better if there was one or two weapons of each type and you could upgrade it to include other ammo types and do more damage.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Is it just me or does tearblast not even work in this one? I can shoot parts off just fine with regular bows but I'll land multiple direct hits with a tearblast and it literally never knocks the part off and then on top of that they don't even really do damage. Which is nuts considering tearblast was god tier in Horizon 1.

I’ve only had tearblast for a couple hours and it still is pretty effective. If you combine it with the part destroyer valor surge, it’s insane.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

RatHat posted:

Geez there are a lot of weapon types in this game. You get 5 in the first area alone.

Is there anyway to change the ammo types on a weapon or are you stuck with what it comes with?

Unfortunately, you’ll end up holding multiple weapons of the same type just to ensure you have all the element types represented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

RatHat posted:

Is it just me or is Aloy's dodge really terrible? Does it even have i-frames?

It has a million I-frames. Genuinely, you can dodge at the right time and have attacks go right through you even if it’s explosive or they end up sitting directly on your face. Hell, you can even dodge the plasma explosion from getting plasma status applied to you.

Don’t get me wrong, the dodge is still terrible feeling, especially compared to the range of machine melee attacks and their aggressiveness, but the i-frames are pretty generous in this game.