Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I'm playing this for the first time since it's come out on PC and is it just me or is this game much harder than the first? I remember 100%ing the first game and not having too much trouble other than some of the fights in the DLC, but this game (on Very Hard) is kinda kicking my rear end. Seems like playing into the elemental resists or lack thereof on the robots is the name of the game this time around, but man, at the beginning when my only shock option is a tripwire shooter and I don't even have some of the others the going is rough. Still having a good time with it, looking forward to discovering more hubristic tech companies and ancient assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Getting further into the game and pretty much every large set piece enemy is one shotting me with almost every attack. It gets frustrating but learning to kill Thunderjaws and that Mammoth thing hitless was pretty fun. The Thunderjaw was especially rough because it was part of a side quest I thought I'd bang out real quick before continuing the main story and it was three combat encounters one after the other and all of a sudden it's like an hour and a half later and I've completely forgotten about the main quest and all I know is ravagers and Thunderjaws and pain. The sense of satisfaction and relief when I killed it was good though.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I hope that kid I left in the desert after discovering the game wanted me to kill a Thunderjaw and a Stormbird at the same time to save him is doing okay. I promise I'll be back, dude, just hang in there.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
How do I make my mount, clawstrider or not, do anything? I've got 20 odd points in machine master but any time I dismount and start fighting it just stands there unless something comes right next to it and then it'll do one attack and gently caress off.

The only success I've had is overriding the machines that can't be ridden.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
E: quote not edit sry

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Yeah I had skipped that node in Machine Master but now that I have it the robots are absolutely tearing poo poo up.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Has anyone got the FSR frame gen mod working with this game? My performance is fine in everything except cutscenes and I wanted to give it a shot with my 3070 but after some looking most people are saying it's falsely reporting high frame rates and ruining frametimes resulting in shittier performance.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

site posted:

i'm no sure which mod you're using but for me with LukeFZ's mod i have to use preview 2 (current is 5) and in game FG has to be OFF for it to work in this game. it's super weird

Haven't used any yet, but it looks like that one is locked behind a Patreon. Glad to know it works though, maybe one of the free ones will get updated soon.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Olothreutes posted:

That gun does not make an appearance, it fell into whatever hole the shieldweaver armor is in. Along with all the Banuk. There's mention of a single one Brin, the best of them in the whole game. Maybe I missed some other mentions in data points.

There's a few cutscenes/dialogue I've seen that have mentioned the Banuk. Aloy even tells someone, I can't for the life of me remember who, about the AI CYAN they worshipped or whatever. I miss the Banuk they were cool.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Does ultra hard gently caress with the games like, "grace" aim? Not the aim assist but the thing that just says "eh close enough, we'll give it to you." In my first playthrough on very hard I was able to get up into a machines face, even the small ones, and just rapid fire blast warrior bow ammo into it and almost never miss unless the circle straight up wasn't in it. Same with human enemies. In ultra hard I go up in a machines face and just make myself look like a fool while arrows blast off into space. Really makes the value of the warrior bow's hip fire plummet.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I mainlined this game from release and finished up the 100% achievements yesterday and all I wish is that there was more. The game was extremely fun in a lot of the same ways the first one was. Going from getting your poo poo pushed in by every machine to methodically dismantling a Stormbird and Dreadwing at the same time, or a Slaughterspine and Thunderjaw at the same time is satisfying in a way that I've only experienced in a Souls game otherwise. Ropecasters and Brittle are extremely OP and make short work of even Apex UH machines if you do it right. I hope the PC release of the next game comes quicker than the last two have, but I'm sure that's a ways off.

The only things I'm missing on the completion screen are a bunch of data points but it's not very appealing to stare at a map on the second monitor to try and find all those just to go from 98% to 100% so I might put it away for now. Maybe come back some time to do Ultra Hard on a fresh save, but that might be too hard for me. Even Very Hard was very hard for my first playthrough.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
The biggest trick to UH I found was the ropecaster. I basically ignored it on VH NG in favour of just brute forcing but it was key in UH. Dealing with one enemy is easy enough since you can focus on just that and not worry but as soon as more enemies join the fight it's stun lock/knockdown city for Aloy. I did my UH run on NG+ so I had access to the legendary ropecaster from the DLC, but there are some purple ones in the base game that are just as good. A tie down on a machine can last over a minute and there's no limit on how many you can have CCed so with multiple enemies I just tied everything down and dealt with them one by one w/ brittle and Warrior Bow Spread Shot. Extremely effective.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
A lot of them I would try to do legit and then get tired of trying and look it up and find out that the spot it wanted me in was 0.1 microns to the left of a spot I had already tried and that's when I decided that that poo poo was stupid.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Really felt like Burning Shores played as a Prologue to Horizon 3 so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of those characters and the Quen back for a big part in the next game.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Ytlaya posted:

How do people play in melee like that? Seems risky to me, since it can be hard to quickly break out of the combo (and it seems like melee will always suffer from not being able to make itself OP with weaves and legendary weapon upgrades). Warrior Bows are definitely great, though, mainly due to Spread Shot (or whatever the 5-shot skill is).

I wanted to do more melee during my PC playthrough, but ended up finding it too awkward. Even with skill tree buffs, anything that isn't a Power Attack or final hit in a damage combo just seems to lightly tickle enemies, even on Normal.

After reading some tips in this thread I had a lot of success just abusing the melee followup boosts. Tap something with R1 and then unload in it's face with a Warrior Bow. I also used the warrior capstone valor surge for most of the game and it was very effective. Going for anything more than a single strike in melee vs. a machine was a recipe for getting pasted, so it's definitely not what you imagine when you think of a "melee" build. It's more of a close quarters style of gameplay using melee to boost your other damage.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I wouldn't mind like, 2 or 3 upgrade tracks for gear instead of 5. At least gives you an excuse to go out and hunt machines that aren't part of a quest but avoids most of the "fast travel back and forth from campfires and save/load" annoying busywork. That was definitely the worst part of upgrading all of the weapons.

Oh, and remove/lessen the apex heart requirements for some. Maybe just the last track requires 1 or 2 to prevent more of the campfire > make it night drudgery.

Martian Manfucker fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 18, 2024

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Yeah the combat is fantastic and I enjoyed machine hunting for parts,. It's just the travel time and menu-ing required when you are needing to farm multiple of the same part that got really tiresome. And just the huge amount of materials required if you wanted a fully upgraded weapon wheel and outfit choices.

I ended up legit farming 5 of the 6 weapons I was using and then just used a cheat engine table to give me the mats for the last one because I was so tired of save/loading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Falukorv posted:

also is it really that many? Its like 3 quest slitherfangs and most heavyweights get at least 2 quest appearances, except poor rockbreakers and slaughterspines that only appear once. Thunderjaws, Stormbirds and Shellsnappers show up even more often.

I feel like I fought like, 2 Shellsnappers in all of the quests I did. They were definitely my least encountered heavyweight. And that's fine by me because I hate them.