Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The improvement in not just the facial animations but the composition of the conversation cut scenes is so dramatic, it's amazing. I remember saying about the first game that it was like no one at Guerilla had seen a movie the way every conversation had the same awkward back and forth angle with each person shifting their body weight like someone trying to act for the first time in their lives. They listened to criticism (not me obviously). There's real life in the characters' faces and the scenes look like someone who knows what they are doing with a camera "shot" the scenes.

And the action looks incredible. This does not look like a sequel where it's the same game but more, they appear to have busted their asses to outdo themselves in substantive ways, though obviously we can't be sure watching a hype reel. Can't wait.

JBP posted:

Ashly Burch rules. She's a great VA but I'd like to see her in some more live action stuff, she was good in mythic quest.

She is a genuinely wonderful actress, I hope she starts getting more and bigger roles. She's got great comedic timing and a super-expressive face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

The difference is that Guerrilla had the time (and budget) to do full performance capture in Forbidden West, rather than whatever animation cycle-based software they were using in Zero Dawn outside of a few select scenes. It began with the Frozen Wilds DLC and really shows here, not just for shot composition but in getting more natural performances from your actors. Outside of one scene in HZD Ashly Burch and Lance Reddick never performed their lines in the same room, which is pretty crazy to think about. The shift to full performance capture that a lot of AAA projects are undergoing right now is gradually making video games much less like voice acting and a lot more like theatre, where you can really see all the little nuances in a character's body language. The main drawback to this method is that the process is still hella time-consuming and expensive, but that's probably not a problem for Sony.

Yeah, I've seen the BTS video of the capture stage they used for it and the investment sure has paid off. The subtle little facial movements and everything else make so much of a difference in making the characters come to life and reduce our burden of suspension of disbelief.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

in fairness i am going to say ive always been baffled by this animation, even if it's aloy's signature "thing", it's too superheroic. she jumps off, twists in mid-air, and throws the rope behind her hard enough to go back 40 feet in the air and catch on whatever she just jumped off. its cool exactly once, when you do it escaping a bunch of eclipse cultists and bots blowing things up right behind you. the rest of the time there's never anyone around, she just jumps off like a maniac to do the rope trick

It is stupid but I can live with it. I do wish someone at Guerilla had seen people actually fight or had some sense of the physics of two people fighting, because that stupid move she keeps doing in the new game is driving me crazy. It's the one where she jumps onto the enemy as if they are a vertical platform, then pushes off flying backwards 10 or 15 feet. The enemy shows little or no sign that a 100lb+ human has just landed on them nor pushed off of them hard enough to fly backwards five yards. There are so many awesome fighting styles and moves that still don't get used much in movies and video games but we get the same crap over and over or we get Guerilla trying to be different but coming up with stuff that is more at home in pro wrestling.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I know it’s disappointing now but I’m confident that by the time we get to Horizon 3 Aloy will be able to suplex a robot.

I'd take that over jumping on people's knees and leaping backwards. Would be more believable.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

IcePhoenix posted:

You say this like it's a bad thing

Hey, if they threw in a DDT I'm there, but even wrestling doesn't do poo poo as stupid as what I've been ranting about. Well, most of the time. It is after all the home of prisoners of inertia and The Rock's impossibly dumb finishing move.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Speaking of the title, interesting bit in one of the IGN preview videos, Horizon: Forbidden West wasn't the original title, they changed it because the original sounded too much like the first game. Since the red plague kills all the grass in front of people's dwellings, it was going to be Horizon: Zero Lawn.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cactus posted:

One thing I'm not looking forward to is having to play on a pad. I've got an UH run going right now on the original game, and while I was a bit dubious at first I've come to the realisation that this was the way the game was meant to be played. It's forcing me to be careful while travelling, to dodge properly and whip the camera round in combat, and to take full advantage of the machines weak points. M&k control is probably the only thing making that possible for me and I want to play the sequel on the hardest difficulty but the pad is going to be a serious handicap for me there.

I totally understand aiming with a mouse. I can't start to grasp the other half. Preferring a keyboard for fast action over a stick is completely insane to me.

This gives me yet another futile opportunity to ask the universe to bring Microsoft to resurrect the Dual Strike controller or even better, a newer, improved version. Or someone else to rip it off and do it better.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cactus posted:

And yeah I agree analogue sticks are better for movement on the left thumb than keys are

There's a lot of Diablo players who swore they'd never play on console but once they played with a controller on Diablo 3 never wanted to go back. It's so much more fun that the sacrifice of precision in some spells is more than worth it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

isk posted:

If it didn't juke out the UI, I'd consider using a gamepad and mouse at the same time in games like Horizon.

That's why we need a new Dual Strike! drat it Microsoft, as flawed as the first attempt was, it still worked. If they improved the ergonomics, added more buttons, and gave it good mouse "guts", it would be killer. Best of both worlds.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

el oso posted:

Replaying this and forgot how much that Demonic Scorcher at the start of Frozen Wilds pops up right away to completely wreck your poo poo

Rude but effective way to tell you this DLC isn't loving around.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cactus posted:

And then the way Hades sort of became this red genie-thing that flew into Sylens' little glass container, that was a bit cheesy as well.

It was ridiculous, my eyes rolled all the way around my skull, but I guess they decided it was better than showing Sylens use his focus to get a Wi-fi connection to select "HadesV.4.994" from a list and wait for it to download.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wonder how much of it was actual floaty magic color bullshit and how much was just a focus interpretation of the signal. It's a hard thing to actually show.

That would be a good explanation, particularly with all the Gaia stuff, which was like if Bill Gates' Clippy dreams had all come true far into the future ("Hi, it looks like you want to terraform a robotically sterilized planet..."). However, Sylens' nifty lantern storage device physically rocks from the impact when the file download arrives. So I think we have to chalk it up to GG going with the movie maxim of, "Show, don't tell," and then going really overboard with it. It also ties in to the corrupters hacking the other machines by firing their little red whatevers at the machines rather than physically hooking up with them or connecting wirelessly.

Because I'm a loser that way, I tend to visualize things how I would depict them if I did a movie or TV series of them, so I pictured it as Sylens with a nicely jury-rigged receiver integrated with his focus scanning around the sky looking for the signal until he finds it. The focus depicts the signal flowing into his receiver, just not quite as much like an organic object. I like to find a way to preserve the goofy futuristic/old aesthetic but make it a bit more believable.

Assuming we have to maintain a physical attack rather than wireless, I envision the corrupters working by shooting little spider bots that run to the connection port on the machine, interface, and then hack the machine and send the control signal back to the corrupter and goddamn I've got too much free time.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cactus posted:

And all of that would be very cool and believable if it were shown to be that way, but it is not. It's shown as magic red swirly rays that transmit information and/or biomass.

Right. Thanks for clarifying.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Unfortunately it's gonna get much worse beginning on Monday when reviews come out and you'll have to completely disengage from all social media content to dodge HORIZON FORBIDDEN WEST SECRET ENDING ALOY MAKES OUT WITH TED FARO headlines on your recommended feed.

TED FARO KILLED DUMBLEDORE

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

To elaborate on the Skill Up review, he said that it's superb and that he doesn't give scores but if he did, it would be a solid 9.5 and if you gave it a 10 he'd reply, "Fair enough."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

If anyone watches the Skill Up review, can you tell us if we can listen to it without spoilers? Obviously as long as his reviews are there's no way you're not going to be spoiled if you watch, but I really enjoy his stuff and wonder if he spoils much in his actual discussion.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If the hunting grounds are too hard you can lower the difficulty for them without penalty.

Also, don't be too proud to watch some how-to videos on Youtube. Once I'd given myself a fair number of aid-free attempts, I got some help, both here and in videos.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Klungar posted:

Well poo poo. I live a very lucky life that “underwater levels in video games” can be my number one fear. Real bodies of water are no problem (I’m SCUBA certified and everything), but I can trust there are no rear end in a top hat devs placing robot crocodile jump scares down there in real life.

Wow, I'm the exact opposite. I will not go underwater. Nope. No problem in video games though. But drowning situations in movies? Not good. And the last half hour of Titanic was one long anxiety attack for me.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I listened to it without watching. You can sometimes hear combat sounds but he clips out most character dialogue or anything that would be considered a plot spoiler.

Thanks for this. I listened to it too and skipped the character/story section and the biggest spoiler I got was Machine races like Mario Kart, lol. drat his reviews are good. How he was able to do that long and thorough a review without resorting to spoilers is beyond me.

So yeah everyone, if you wanted to do Skill Up's review but were afraid of spoilers, just listen to it and skip the character/story part. It gives away nothing. And as always, his review, even as glowing as it is in this case, doesn't soft peddle the game's flaws, technical and otherwise. That's despite his playing with the Day 1 patch. Hopefully the aliens and wizards at Guerilla will take care of them in a reasonable amount of time.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I don’t know what sorcery Guerrilla used but that looks shockingly good on the base PS4 :stare:

I can’t wait for the Digital Foundry analysis. Glad us PS4 owners are not being forgotten about!

I don't know what they said yet, but Kotaku was impressed:

Good News, Horizon Forbidden West Plays Fine And Still Looks Beautiful On Base PS4
https://kotaku.com/horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-ps4-graphics-comparison-revi-1848534392

"While a clear downgrade, the PS4 version of Horizon Forbidden West still looks great and plays well, easily making it one of the most gorgeous games on last gen."

Also, they mention something that another video brought my attention to. Digital Foundry is saying that they think this is the first game on PS5 where it's worth going down to 30fps for the eye candy. They actually recommend it. They say it's packed with detail that you don't want to lose.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

el oso posted:

But also brought to you by MONTANA RECREATIONS!

I'm surprised that didn't catch on. Goddamn that was funny.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Horizon TV Series on Netflix

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2022/05/netflix-horizon-zero-dawn-netflix

Is this being discussed elsewhere? Someone from The Expanse is involved, that's a well-regarded show, so I'm cautiously optimistic. It's a natural for a narrative series if they give it a proper budget and talent to put it together.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CeeJee posted:

Because I need six of them, as well as three Thunderjaw tails as big as Aloy to weave into my armor .

They should have the merchants do the upgrading. That way we could assume that they were assholes that were ripping her off. "Yeah, I need 15 frost claw dicks, not one less, your armor won't resist the cold without them."

I don't watch too many TV shows or movies loaded with actors in the right age range and I don't believe in casting adaptations based on appearance, but for shits and giggles I did a search on red headed actresses in the right age range and Annalise Basso is a pretty good fit in my book.

Of course, the most important thing is how good an actor she is. Can she be convincing as a teen girl isolated from society as well as a brilliant, confident adult? Does she have the physicality? That's why you don't listen to fanboys who whine about an actor not looking exactly like a character from a comic book/game/etc.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Bugblatter posted:

Are you sure about this part? I can't find anything about it anywhere. Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby who were screenwriters for The Expanse (and Children of Men) are working on the God of War show, are you sure you're not thinking of that?

Yep, I think you're right, I read too quickly and mixed the information up. Sorry about that.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ok, finally finished it.

I'll get the negatives out the way first. Ultimately, I had a great time.

I didn't have a ton of problems with glitches outside of the standard humorous ones that you get in just about every huge open world game -- except one. Fish disappearing. Oh poo poo, it's goddamned infuriating to need fish parts, be within feet of grabbing one and oh hey, he just disappears. How the hell does that kind of glitch get through to release not to mention months after?

I got hung up in bushes a lot, like a frustrating, cussing while getting my rear end pounded by machines amount.

To their credit, they came up with loads of new mechanics, almost none of which I used. In fact, I used less of the old mechanics. I never used foods, no potions, practically speaking, no traps. My weapon rotation was pretty much only five, three bows and two slings, with a spike thrower getting a bit of work late in the game. I hated the nail gun things in the first game and nothing changed that here. The gauntlet sucked, no fun at all even after watching a good tutorial.

Obviously they got much better with the dramatic presentation, but there's still a lot of awkward direction of the actors. They often stand as if they don't know what to do with their bodies, shifting weight, unnaturally waving their arms, it's just odd.

Negatives in gameplay? Platforming. Goddamn I've grown to hate cauldrons. I've got a lovely sense of direction to begin with, so drop me in a maze with lots of samey looking surfaces and janky platforming and it's a good formula for controller-throwing fun. I also didn't care for most of the puzzles though they didn't irritate me as much as the cauldrons. The end was much too easy but that's sort of my fault, I should have upped the difficulty and I was pretty maxed out for the finale. I smashed the final two bosses in less than three minutes combined. That's not bragging, I'm not that skilled, I just had good gear and the enemies were strangely passive. Hardly dodging and with nothing to help them out. The corrupted death bringer at the end of HZD wasn't that hard by itself, but all of its buddies made that fight a pain in the rear end, I died quite a few times. Here all it took was a few dodges on my part, put them into their elemental state and explosive spike them both to death.

The story is in my positives but I do want to chime in on what I gather is the controversial handling of Ted Faro. I see people defending it with the, "It was good to leave it to the player's imagination," line. Bullshit. If you are Spielberg or Hitchcock, yeah, you can do that. Guerilla Games is neither. They don't have the narrative chops to pull that off. In my opinion, it was a mistake to include Faro at all; I suspect having him survive to the "current" day was pure fan service, giving in to the desire of so many to see Faro get his comeuppance. As I said, I don't think they should have done it at all, but if you are going to do it, you can't do it with such a ridiculous, clumsy, in-artful throwaway scene like that. Even if you don't want to go full on Resident Evil, there are ways to be suggestive, put him in silhouette, show us part of him, a series of focus holograms showing us the horrifying progression of his condition a la Cronenberg's The Fly, etc. Point is, you don't build up to that huge a moment only to dispose of it with a ten second off camera death. Awful.

So the positives.
I'm not going to bring anything new to the table pointing out how astonishing the visuals are, they are just ridiculous, so I do want to talk about how much effort they put into the art direction, the insane amount of detail. Just walk around one of the settlements and look at every square inch of a simple hut or whatever. It's incredible. The people who worked on this game should truly be proud of putting out something so massive that still shows so much, for lack of a better way to put it, handcrafted care.

The story worked for me. It wandered around, could have been a bit more focused, but it worked. I don't understand the criticism I've seen about the turn toward a more fantastical sci-fi story, because it was pretty loving fantastical already. Whatever its flaws, rare is a game that had not one, not two, but four emotionally powerful moments for me. Hell, two of them were lump-in-the-throat happy scenes whose effect on me took me by surprise. When they turned the holograms on over Vegas and when the rescued land-gods return to Plainsong I got goosebumps. It's been a while since a movie did that, nice job Guerilla Games. Needless to say, Varl's death sucked, but then they really twisted the knife by giving us the comfort of Zo handling it stoically, only to have her reveal she's pregnant with Varl's child. gently caress, stomach punch.

Ultimately, the game's success rides on whether or not it's fun to play and I still love killing robot dinosaurs and rear end in a top hat humans. As I said, I was disappointed that the new mechanics were of little or no value for me, but that was ok. I did enjoy the valor berserker modes or whatever, though I didn't use them as much as I should have. While it's still on my mind, did some idiot convince GG that the bandit camps in the first game were too hard? Because good god, the rebel camps in Forbidden West should have been called Aloy Massacre Camps.

So that's all I've got, I'm sure I'll think of some other stuff later. Loved the game, look forward to the next one.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

As annoying as some of the more powerful rebel classes were, you could also one shot them with a sneak attack like any other human, and it was often surprisingly easy to get in position to do so.

And being the idiot I am, I only discovered like a week ago that the strikethrough precision arrows more or less make rebels' armor explode off them. If you don't one shot them with that arrow, a follow up with an advanced hunter or precision will usually put them down rather than having to pick apart their armor.

Stoatbringer posted:

I thought the ending was over a little too fast.

Minor niggles aside though, it was great. I especially liked all the new ways to deal with Tallnecks.

I can see thinking that about the ending. I was fine with it. It didn't feel like anything was missing, it got done what needed to get done.

As for the tallneck obstacle courses, they varied for me. Some were a lot of fun, others pissed me off. That goes back to the nature of the imprecise (at least for me) platforming.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Watching my son play his New Game+ and he just hit a fun glitch. I haven't seen mention of it though I haven't been able to read the whole thread so forgive me if it's an old one. He's at the Embassy and he just got attacked by and then killed an invisible man.

Things that I didn't mention keep popping up in my head. I didn't say anything about the underwater stuff other than the goddamned teleporting fish bug. I enjoyed them overall, though GG missed on a couple of opportunities. Obviously Aloy should have been able to use her spear underwater rather than just hide or use smoke bombs. Also, there's a couple of merchant items they didn't offer for those sequences, both of which are lower tech than what we have now. Flippers! Come on, like no one would have thought of that? And there was an obvious weapon sitting right there, one that uses the advanced tech of...rubber bands. Could we not buy a loving spear gun? Other than that though, I liked them, and that's despite the fact that I am phobic about being underwater. The ocean sections were insanely pretty.

One funny incident I had. Being a cheap, sniping rear end in a top hat, I managed to kill a tideripper while it was still a ways out in the water and swam out to get my loot. I had blown his tail off because I needed it for an upgrade but I couldn't find it. I swam way out past his corpse, scanned like crazy, but couldn't find it. So after grumbling for a few minutes I swam back in. On the way I spotted the dead tideripper and thinking nothing of it, swam right past it. Except it wasn't the dead tideripper. The game spawned the new one approximately where I'd killed the other one and the fucker was just sitting there perfectly still until I got close enough for it to jump scare the poo poo out of me and make me do a Holy Grail "run away, run away!"

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Finally got around to uploading my son's encounter with the Invisible Man at the Embassy. Just as he's rearing back to throw a spike, boom and then it's on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIPHsmUjt8g

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

There's been a leak about the Horizon tv show that is sort of odd. The title is "Horizon 2074."

Supposedly the show will be done with split timelines, one in the game's setting and one pre-apocalypse to show what happened. But as we dorks know, that date is well after Zero Dawn, so....

Anyway, there's a Director's Guild of Canada post showing some of the people working on it, and it's somewhat promising with talent from The Boys and The Expanse attached, though neither are top of the bill so to speak.

https://www.thegamer.com/netflix-horizon-show-called-2074/

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Medullah posted:

I'm just annoyed you can't use your spear underwater.

And there are weapons that somehow shoot metal spikes at high enough velocity to penetrate and explode metal armor off of loving giant robots, but you can't slap a big rubber band on to a board and a grip and make a loving spear gun. Swim fins? Hello? Goggles to increase how far you can see underwater? Seems like those are more rewarding, logical crafting quests than committing varmint genocide to get five bones from raccoons because that lets you make a bigger backpack. Apparently Aloy is smart enough to run high tech equipment but not clever enough to squeeze five intact body parts out of less than 85 of the same dead animal. It reminds me of having to use harvest arrows in the first game to get more of a given part off of dead machines when the obvious and smarter option would have been to have that be on the skill tree, as in Aloy learns how to more efficiently harvest machine parts, or acquire a separate tool that allows you to remove parts intact rather than destroy them.

No joke, I love the damned game too. Just seems like there's some silliness that would have been easy to recognize and deal with.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Full disclosure: I've not played Elden Ring because I'm not interested in it or From Soft games for various reasons we need not get into, but I've seen a number of Youtube reviews and such and I've been watching my son play it for the last several days so my opinion is very likely worth little so fire away.

I'm somewhat baffled by how playing ER would sour people on H:FW. Don't get me wrong, I've got plenty of issues with Horizon, it's far from perfect and I've discussed it's shortcomings here before, but from watching my son play it appears that the ER model of open world is "wander around killing everything while occasionally getting vague, quasi-hippie-poem-hints(?) about what you are supposed to be doing" as opposed to a "story" or "characters." I don't get it.

For all of the "tricks" I find myself falling back on in Horizon, the combat in ER looks insanely repetitive and with little strategy other than figuring out the the rhythm of the move set and acting accordingly. The combat arenas I've seen are usually relatively barren, at least for the larger opponents, so using terrain or cover don't seem to come into play much. With each major encounter in Horizon, being a cheap, sneaky, sniping rear end in a top hat, I'll spend minutes scouting around looking for the best angles and ways I can use the environment. When I see my son entering an obvious big fight in ER, I look around and think, "There's not really anything for him to do other than fight or run." Again, I know I've seen little of the game and not played it myself, so I very easily could be wrong on that count and welcome correction.

Anyway, I'm excited to see the showrunner for Umbrella Academy is running the Horizon series on Netflix along with bringing one of the writers. Things are looking good so far on that front.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, I hate Elden Ring. But they got me again because everyone was saying how this one was different when I know, I *know*, I don't like fromsoft games. NeverKnowsBest just put out a video about all the things wrong with ER despite his enjoying the game that I largely agree with.

But basically, I'm posting to agree with you that I don't understand the "ruining open world games" sentiment.

I can't even say I "hate" it, I haven't played it and my exposure is limited. I have infinite respect for FS, they have a singular style and vision that they don't compromise on. I don't care for their aesthetic, but that's not a knock on their talent, just a difference of taste; they are obviously insanely talented artists and craftspeople. But yeah, to me it looks like largely aimless wandering. When I ask my son, who ostensibly is paying more attention than I am, what he's doing, he can't ever really give me an idea of what's going on. He doesn't have the greatest attention span, but in most games he can at least give me the gist of what he's trying to accomplish. The joy he's getting out the game appears to be entirely from the awesome enemy design and the challenge of the combat (to which I always helpfully contribute by yelling, "I'd go for this one's ankles."). Nothing wrong with either of those things of course, I just struggle to understand how it rewrites the rules or sets the standard for open world games. And again, I'm not saying that Horizon is the perfect template, it's got a long list of issues of its own.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Klungar posted:

Faro deserves nothing more than defiling himself to become an abomination, thinking he's the savior of humanity, only to be summarily executed off-screen by his spiritual successor the moment he becomes an inconvenience. Faro never considered anyone else, only himself, and so in the end he himself gets treated as a non-entity to be disposed of by a sociopath (and the game).

Sure, but the player should loving get to see it. They gave us the fan service of him still being alive and in a tortured existence but failed to give the payoff of seeing his ultimate humiliation. It's ridiculous and the notion of, "Leaving it to the player's imagination," is bullshit.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

I suppose the one improvement that would have helped is the environment becoming more dilapidated and gross as you approach the door. Like upticks in humidity, broken panels, rust... and discovering logs where the main researcher comments on lab accidents with a sample, to eventually get the dumb pulsing walls effect that every horror game gets.

You could even have an organic growth spreading throughout the facility getting more and more prominent that you end up finding out is Ted. It's him spreading out. There, I just put more thought into it than Guerilla did.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I think Ted Faro somehow succeeding in his plan for immortality or ending up as some kind of epic boss battle for Aloy would have attributed way more undeserved importance to his character than what was called for in the story. I think his pathetic and inglorious end was the perfect close to his role in the world’s events: Another cowardly billionaire attempting to reassert himself on the stage of history long after his time was up.

I would have been fine with that, I would have preferred it to, as I called it, going full Resident Evil. You could use a series of holograms to show his gradual decline into an insane, pathetic husk of a man. A really good writer could have produced a great look into the mind of narcissist in denial about what he was responsible for. That's if you chose to include him at all, which I wouldn't have if I was in charge.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Ted Faro thing was very poorly handled. It didn't spoil the game but I was rolling my eyes at the obvious fan-pandering and artlessness of it.

Being entombed in the corpse of the world you destroyed to grow old alone is punishment enough, which is what they implied in the first game.

You explained it in a handful of sentences better than I did in paragraphs. Fan service isn't inherently bad, but they did it so goddamned poorly.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Endless Trash posted:

I would encourage you to go back and finish frozen wilds first, if you can. It’s not fundamental to understanding FW’s story but if you like the plot of the first game it’s an excellent addition to it

Seconded, it's so good. Some of the best writing and stories in the entire Horizon "saga" so to speak are in Frozen Wilds. And some of its nasty critters join in the fun in Forbidden West, so it's a good chance to get accustomed to them.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Inferior Third Season posted:

No, thank you. I would still be on board for a third game if they just wrapped up most of the plotlines and didn't make an idiotic cliffhanger.

I would still be on board for a third Star Wars movie if they just wrapped up most of the plotlines in Empire Strikes Back and didn't make an idiotic cliffhanger.

More seriously, I do hope that they bring the current plot to a definitive end and carry it to an era where the planet starts to try to reintegrate the old one's knowledge and rebuild something resembling the old civilization. That's a story line that is ripe for exploitation, the clash between those who want to bring in the old knowledge and those who see it as a threat to their power or fear it. Not to mention those who want it because they think it will be a genuine boon to mankind vs those who see it as something to exploit for their benefit. That kind of story gives you permission to almost anything you want with the tech, mixing everything from the current primitive/high tech all the way up to the bonkers supertech we see in FW and anything you can dream up in between.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ace Transmuter posted:

They're not completely unstoppable though; and thematically pulling together basically everyone ever to work together to bring one down would be a pretty drat satisfying conclusion to the arc for Aloy.

Not to mention the well-worn sci-fi trope of the hidden, tiny weakness that brings down the entire gigantic unstoppable enemy. The thermal exhaust port, the virus in the mothership, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Aloy will make a red spot if there is none!

I hope it sets up
some crazy poo poo like using the Zenith cradle to make a shitload of those futurebots to start cutting it into pieces and coming up with the idea to throw the Faro nanites at HateStar

Ted's consciousness put into an opposing machine to fight it in order to redeem himself. Yeah I'm joking but it's not much worse than what we got in Forbidden West.