Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The day I learnt how to use the shredder gauntlet it basically became my go-to for most encounters. I even have the thunderbolt and ancestors returned coiled and ready to go, but these days the shock shredders are how I deal with encounters with even light to mid weight machines. It just takes a lot of fingers to use, L2 then hold R2, click R3 to slowmo, aim with R stick, maybe a reposition with L stick, then X to jump and release R2. But my reward is the enemy gets crowd controlled and all their components fall off for harvest. It’s so strong that I’m worried I’m crutching, but I don’t want to reply on the old fashioned freeze and plink with adv hunter arrows strategy.

Anyway I just finished the main campaign. I’ll post my thoughts on the story as: it’s kind of mid, there were some excellent elements but I swear it could have been done better elsewhere. I was one of this people who seized upon the word “telemetry” in the original game, so my front runner for the antagonists was Far Zenith. So I was kind of disappointed they seemed to be written out of the introduction, so was very surprised when they turned up in an early quest! And somehow I never once got spoiled with that name. And I was even more surprised by the revelation that they were the original Far Zenith colonists. But they could have been developed better and made more formidable. Tilda was great, except for the fact that we had to fight her silly mech suit

I don’t have Burning Shores yet, I’ll buy it in my next gaming session. My current list of legendaries is Sun Scourge, Ancestors Return and Carja’s Bane. Should I grab more legendaries from the Arena and upgrade them with big apex parts, or should I hop right into the DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Currently working my way through the fixed loadout arenas. The T2 tideripper one is an absolute nightmare, that stupid tidal disc just juggles you like an idiot. I had to cheese it with elite lightning traps.

The T3 tremortusk is way easier because you get give a ropecaster to control the fight, and of course good shredder discs. Any time I have the opportunity to pull out the shredder the game becomes so much easier. Like a hunter arrow's hurtbox needs to be placed very precisely, miss the weakpoint by a hair and your damage gets nullified by armor. A disc's hurtbox on even its first couple of throws is broad enough that it will touch the weakpoint AND rip off all the armor in the vicinity.

Also another reason why I'm naturally good with shredders is that I'm a glaive user in Warframe.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

This might already be obvious to you but placement for shredder discs and elemental arrows matters, too. Any weapon will do more damage and inflict higher elemental buildup if it initially hits an exposed part of the machine rather than armor. This is true even for ropes and explosive damage.

Indeed, I'm still trying to hit weakpoints with a shredder, but I'm less likely to be tilted by the machine rotating themselves a few degrees and have the shot ping off the armor. It really feels like shredder disc hurtboxes are far more "lenient" than arrows, which need pinpoint accuracy to not hit an armor plate.

More shredder chat, I do often run into an issue especially at close range, where I perform a close-to-mid range throw, roll in one direction, keep moving in that same direction, and the disc just completely fails to track me and ricochets off in the opposite direction. Feels bad when that happens, especially if the disc was near fully charged. I don't know what governs this behavior routinely going awry.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
We had a wireframe representation of him filling up a large cylindrical room, and a dull roar in the background. Maybe they just weren’t confident throwing together a resident evil/dead space monstrosity was worth the effort when you could cheap out with an offscreen.

I’m more annoyed with the Ceo just throwing all our previous cooperation out the window and telling his guys to agro on sight to us. And you get out and nothing happens with that faction.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
There is a saying, all games graphics and design are smoke and mirrors, except for actual smoke and mirrors, which are too expensive to render.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I tend to crutch hard on Nora Hunter armors for the concentration perks and the looong slow down.

Maybe I should swap out for other armors these days because I've stopped relying on pinging hunter arrows off weakspots, instead relying on brief bursts of concentration during shredder throws or sustained bursts during tied down freezes. Like, having Concentration Plus and Deep Concentration and Concentration Regen is probably overkill.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I read it that Varl still really really likes Aloy, it's just that he can more easily form connections with Zo. And Zo knows that part of Varl really likes Aloy, and she likes Aloy too, and she's mature and has lived in a hippy community for long enough that she's confident in her relationships that it never bothers her.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
By the way did they ever follow up on who or what Rost was hunting through the Forbidden West?

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Yeah so we got nothing. Like there was speculation that the people who attacked the Sacred Lands were responsible for the Extinction Signal and The Derangement, but that's clearly not the case. So maybe instead it's some bullshit Sylens pulled off when he was young, and he never got got by Rost.

As for item descriptions, I don't think there's any useful information there, considering that we start hearing of the Quen loooong before we even meet them. I was partially spoiled on them, and initially thought they were the descendants of an earlier wave of Zenith colonists who regressed to primitive tech, rather than the technobarbarian Zhou dynasty chinese empire.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
It helps that Guerilla explicitly made mob infighting an intended mechanic, with outright bonuses to their damage output. Overridden machines do huge damage.

It's not like Sekiro, where enemies fighting each other have huge damage nerfs.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Tiderippers get absolutely dumpstered by shock shredders. As do Apex Tremortusks, it’s easier to hunt those guys at night.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Its wild, the Frozen Wilds DLC Scorchers and Fireclaws were absolute menaces all those years ago, and when they arrived in Forbidden West they were very manageable.

Meanwhile Waterwings are absolute loving menaces. Enormous HP pools, ridiculous forward hitboxes on its soil upturning attacks.

Meanwhile Bileguts were easy because someone that leaps with such airtime, well, I'm used to fighting Margit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
One thing that annoys me in this game is that enemy machines are so large and wriggly that their animations routinely bug out and blend into one another, meaning they will snap from one pose to another with no warning. This is especially bad when you knock down slitherfangs, an enemy type the devs were so in love with they use them as boss fights for a huge number of quests.