Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

exquisite tea posted:

Since this game is launching on PC soon, here are my :siren:TIPS FOR NEW/RETURNING PLAYERS:siren: because the gameplay is different in a few substantial ways from Zero Dawn and a lot of people get rolled upon re-entry.

- Most people agree that the game is about one rung harder than the difficulty levels in Zero Dawn. So in other words, if you completed ZD on Hard, that would be more like Normal here. I would not recommend going any deeper than Very Hard for a first playthrough, as Ultra is kind of intended to be the NG+ difficulty.
- Learn what QUICKDRAW is. This is the most important concept in combat and it totally gets glazed over. Basically in Horizon Forbidden West, Aloy can aim 50% faster while sliding, falling from a significant height, riding a mount, or shortly after hitting something with a melee attack. You want to be triggering this all the time because the machines are in general super aggressive and most of the starter weapons are slow to aim. Weave slides in between rolls to increase i-frames and keep Aloy from stumbling.
- Because the machines are a lot more aggressive, having at least one form of crowd control is mandatory. I recommend a Spike Thrower with drill spikes for high knockdown, or the good old Ropecaster with handling coils.
- In Zero Dawn, you could generalize your loadout and be generically good at everything. In Forbidden West, it's better to specialize along a particular skill tree and focus on upgrading the weapons and outfits oriented around that particular playstyle. I recommend Ranger, Infiltrator, and Warrior as the best trees to specialize in early.
- There are six different main elemental types in HFW: Freeze, Shock, Acid, Purgewater, Fire, Plasma. I've listed them in relative order of importance. But just like Zero Dawn, you want to have a balanced weapon loadout that covers a lot of different uses and elemental vulnerabilities.
- If you don't want to kill animals for pouch upgrades, you can buy them for shards in most towns.
- If you don't want a usable item to appear on your toolbar, hold down on the D-Pad and switch it out with Square/X. As long as you don't send those items to your stash, it'll never show up on your scroll wheel again. Personally, I like to have Smoke Bombs as my main D-Pad tool, scroll left for potions/mounts, and scroll right for traps/buffs.
- Completing the main story up to the point where you collect the 3 Big Things will give you all the traversal tools necessary to unlock hidden areas like the metal flowers and underwater caverns.
- Use your valor surges, they are super OP. Waiting until all 3 bars are full = better valor surge, in case that was not obvious.
- Burning Shores (DLC) weapons and outfits are significantly easier to upgrade than those found in the main game, so don't spend too much time grinding out machine parts before heading there.

Quoting this whole thing for a new page. Also, asking: tea, which skill tree did you mean by Ranger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

does anyone know how not to get my loving rear end kicked in machine strike? i want to get into a collectable board minigame but i'm, you know, getting my loving rear end kicked

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

I think positive opinions on Zero Dawn (relative to FW) largely hinge on the core mystery being more interesting (which is kind of unavoidable, since you have big questions like "what's up with all these robot dinosaurs" to answer, while the sequel just had "what's up with the Mysterious Signal" - and the answer to that is about as good as it could have been, since the only alternative would have been something like aliens).

I totally agree with this! I've been comparing it to The Matrix sequels. Regardless of the actual quality of those sequels, the first one built a really cool world you could easily imagine telling interesting stories in-- but they're not going to compare to finding out the answer to "what is the Matrix?" the first time. (The first game also leaned in, combining the Existential "who am I and why are things like this?" themes with the Existential "what does it mean to live and die on a civilizational level?" themes.)

For Forbidden West, changing topics: I looked up weapon spoilers and did these sick, demented devs really not give us a sharpshooter bow with both advanced arrows and tear arrows? That's outright cruel. Are people just running around with two sharpshooter bows in their weapon wheel like I am, or is it a "git good" thing and people just don't bother with tear arrows anymore?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Forbidden West kind of shifted the balance of bows to three different archetypes. You have Warrior Bows, which are your rapid fire shotgun weapon designed to do high damage at close range. Then you have Hunter Bows, which are well-balanced for all kinds of roles but are the best at applying elemental effects and stripping components. Sharpshot Bows are your big nukes that you either whip out for stealth kills or to land a boom headshot on an already weakened machine. They sometimes come with tearblast arrows, but those are less precise. In Zero Dawn it was more effective to unload a triple volley of tearblast arrows to strip a machine's armor, Forbidden West would rather you use Hunter Bows with component tear % instead and use Sharpshot Bows primarily to nuke.

This makes a lot of sense, but what about component removal for things like upgrades, or blasting off weapons to use against the enemy machines? Do you still mostly used hunter bows built for +tear for those?

I used to take Thunderjaws down in New Dawn by tearblasting their guns off, roping them down, and disc-launching them to death. Seems like I haven't found as useful a strategy in Forbidden West for them or for anything else, really. Maybe the combat hasn't fully clicked for me yet! I certainly do a lot of healing and desperate scrambles, and it feels like any big machine takes way more resources out of me than they did in the fist game.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

While people are in the advice giving mood, what weapon skills are worth it? I've been triple-notching and that's about it, even other useful ones like the warrior-bow 5 shot one I often forget about. What are some of the ones people who are good at this game love?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i think it's hunter bows, not sharpshot -- the Marshal Hunter Bow with its mathematically optimal mods outperforms Death-Seeker's Shadow with the same by like 12% on average, but only if you assume you get the full overdraw and concentration bonuses on the Marshal Bow 100% of the time and also that you completely ignore the "damage against shocked / burning" and "damage against knocked down" conditional bonuses

it also assumes you're bothering to measure hunter bows by their impact damage in the first place

12%?!! What are the Mathematically Optimal Mods for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Tilda's story with Elisabet was in the base for me. Aloy straight up asks her if they were more than friends. Tilda compliments her for being perceptive and says they were. Tilda says that she started wanted something more serious right as Elsabet started to pull away. I got the impression they were already over by the time Zero Dawn and the Zenith thing happened.

On Aloy's love life: I think her being ace or demi or whatever is a fine reading, as is her being Too Busy For This poo poo / Too Important For Romance. A lot of what exquisite tea said about her wanting to be seen as a person rings true but I'll add she seems to want to be seen as her own person too. If you're as tolerant and encouraging to Avad's advances as you can over the two games she basically tells him "I dunno, maybe, but you're seeing me as a replacement for Ersa right now and that's never going to work. (Also I have to go save the world two more times.)" Avad, as a person who is also a symbol, seemed to get that burden. He also talked about abdicating to be with her, so he seemed to understand that Aloy might want to not just be the Savior of Meridian to her partner-- but he still sorta saw her as Second Ersa, and Aloy has poo poo to do, so that wasn't gonna work out.

Erend clearly thought Aloy was hot based on how they met but I think pretty quickly slotted her into a friend / replacement sister box. It's pretty easy to read Varl as having a thing for her too because he's a little puppy-dogish about following her around but I don't think there's anything explicit in the text. Regardless it makes sense both that any of her followers would immediately have a thing for her and also any of her friends would quickly pick up that she's not in a place for that and move on. I don't think Varl was hedging on being with Zo or Erend was nursing a crush through Forbidden West, for example.

Probably worth noting that Aloy's never had a model for a romantic relationship, since she was raised by a somewhat emotionally distant single father and was literally never allowed to interact with another human being. She's probably really weirded out by any romantic feelings, including her own potential ones, and is much more comfortable with her feelings about being a special destiny protagonist. Notice in Forbidden West she's conscious of her conflicted feelings about living up to Elsibet's legacy but totally represses her feelings about her dad dying for 80% of the game. I think "hahaha, no time to figure out my sexuality, too many robots to kill!" is where she lands for what I've played so far (just started Burning Shores.)

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 22, 2024