Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Jimbot posted:

That whole DLC is good.

"You may be chief of the tribe but just so you know you ain't poo poo and I think of you as such."
- "Glad we had this talk."

Snarky Aloy is so good.

The best part of her character is her steadily ignoring every NPC who tries to hit on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Having some kind of Zombie/Robo-Ted would be really disappointing. Faro works as a villain because he's untouchable. He already "won" a thousand years ago, all you can do is pick up the pieces.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Laughing that the Carrie-Anne Moss character who looks like Tilda Swinton is named Tilda.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I don't think there's a way for that fight to be believable in the world they've set up. A Horus can make more of itself and every other killbot while eating biomass. It took a squadron of troops with futuristic weapons a whole lot of effort and luck to take one down during Enduring Victory.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I'm waiting to preload/preorder until the review embargo lifts juuuuussstt in case it's a dud.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have zero doubts that it'll be good, but with that staggered schedule I don't know why anyone would bother preloading it a week ahead of time. Even waiting for reviews gives you days to download it. Maybe if you have to plug your playstation into the ol 56K modem, otherwise I don't know why you'd bother.

I have a toddler and I'm likely to forget to do it if I don't do it early!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Is that easy loot option just how it worked in the first game?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Hmm. From Kotaku. Very vague story spoilers, I guess.

I don’t for a second profess to speak for people of indigenous descent, though I will note that I certainly ran into some eyebrow-raising moments over the course of Forbidden West.

To be clear, I never heard the words “braves” or “savages,” which suggests Guerrilla is listening and has taken feedback from half a decade ago to heart. That said, unless an explanation totally passed me by, Forbidden West never addresses why many characters wear outfits reminiscent of traditional Native American clothing, a point of contention for some in the wake of Zero Dawn. All that “savior” stuff? Given that Aloy is white, and that so many characters in Horizon—in roles both crucial and secondary—are people of color, yeah, it’s weird! Due to those aforementioned embargo restrictions, which are so extensive as to bar me from mentioning a character who is literally in one of the trailers, I can’t get into detail here, but the entire final act—the denouement in particular—smacks of colonialist overtones, all in service of little more than sci-fi grandeur. In the coming days and weeks, as players approach and then complete the endgame, it’ll be a conversation to watch.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Here is the detailed technical breakdown of performance on PS4/PS4 PRo/PS5.

https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-vs-ps4-pro-vs-ps4-performance-review

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Let's pretend I'm a huge idiot who doesn't buy many games. For this day 1 patch, if I've already downloaded the preload does that mean I'll have to wait for another giant file to download before I can play?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

If the game loads up on PS4 just fine I assume it's downloaded whatever patch it needs?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The game is running fine on our PSPro but man does it get the fan going. Sounds like a jet engine sometimes. We're getting that cut-scene micro lag that some folks mentioned as well but it's not a big deal.

First quest spoilers: THOU SHALT NOT STEAL AN ADVANCED TERRAFORMING SYSTEM lmao. Also Varl should keep the beard.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

can people please label the quest they're discussing when using spoiler tags? it makes it very hard to figure out what I can mouse over if you don't!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Trying to talk to the Stitcher in Chainscrape and no prompt pops up. Is it a bug?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You’re asking them to scab their union. There’s a work stoppage!

Dude could at least say something sheesh

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

surely there are other parents ITT who only get to play a little bit each day and just got to Chainscrape, lol

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Playing on a PS4 Pro, the conversations in the Chainscrape tavern seemed to be weirdly low-poly. Also the drat console fan is working overtime. No crashes or anything though!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I'm not far into the game but already positive that Boomer is the best NPC.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Lumpy posted:

Thanks! What does it do exactly? (I told you I was a dummy)

You won't need to shoot off stuff like Charger horns in order to loot it.

The Embassy: boy our girl really loves being the (nearly) sole survivor of massacres huh

also there's some prettttyyyyy noticeable cutscene popin on PS4 Pro but I can tune it out

zakharov fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 21, 2022

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Patch dropped today.

https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon-forbidden-west-first-post-launch-patch

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The robots do seem more difficult to one shot than in ZD, and more likely to gang up on you.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Think we found a bug in the Vezreh quest. After dying, we respawned outside the battle arena and the door was locked and we can't get back in to try the fight again.

edit: also the music is stuck on the boss theme and nothing makes it go away. this is really annoying and makes me not want to play until it's fixed.

zakharov fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 26, 2022

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

What I don't understand after The Dying Lands

Ok FZ jerks want to come back to Earth. Why do they want to wipe out and rebuild the entire biosphere? There's enough planet for everyone! Is there any logic eventually revealed to be behind this besides "they're evil and want a fresh planet all for themselves?"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Thanks folks. It seemed like a lame motivation by itself.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Megera posted:

Was it ever called out in HZD that Vala and Varl were siblings? He and his mom never seemed personally affected by the Proving massacre, but I might've missed the dialogue.

Yes, the first time you meet Varl at the gate he mentions it and is sad.

Sona has no time for such emotions.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Bahaha just finished the distress signal quest and this story is absolutely bananas. Honestly having a hard time keeping up with some of the twists and turns.

Love how Beta has Sobeck's smarts but understandably not her self confidence. Also lmao at WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE HEPHAESTUS???

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Glad to see they fixed the Shadow in the West and Devil's Grasp bugs.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Sea of Sands was, like, an emotional quest.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I have no plans to play Strike either. Love a good mini game but it has to be explainable in 3 minutes or less.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Yo that Grimhorn fight in The Second Verse is no joke.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

There are some very long info dumps in the base in particular. I kinda get it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The quest named _____ Tomb is one of the most effective, creepiest things I've ever seen in a game. The voice logs, acting by living characters, environment design, and music are all fantastic. It's rare for media to creep me out like that but they nailed it. Spoilers below but please don't spoil me beyond this point in the game as this is as far as we've gotten.

Assuming they don't pull some bullshit, so glad we won't be fighting zombie/mecha Faro. In terms of what remained of him I'm picturing something like when Captain Keyes got absorbed by the Flood in Halo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Just finished Faro's Tomb. How far into the main story is that btw?

A little bit of mixed feelings on it, because it was one of the coolest missions in the game and I enjoyed every minute of it, but I think they went too cartoon supervillian with Ted Faro. Like, him destroying the world with his own hubris in the first one was perfectly evil enough. I'm not sure we needed a literal serial killer pyramid for him. And then they end it with him being some mutant pig and don't even show him?! I'm not sure they actually killed him and he won't return but it sure seemed like it.

I dunno it was a still a really fun story mission either way but I think HZD handled the character in question better.

I really disagree. We know that he has a massive ego, sees himself as some sort of redeemer, etc etc. I thought the level was incredibly creepy and really well done. And keeping Zombie Ted unseen let us imagine something that probably would have been a letdown in this world that doesn't really render body horror stuff.