Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

haveblue posted:

Aloy explores a new region which is experiencing a period of increased volcanic activity. It is revealed that this area is what we know as Yellowstone National Park, and the activity is coming from the destabilization of Cyan, a Zero Dawn program to manage the caldera underneath and prevent its eruption.

e: this took much too long to write

I believe Cyan wasn't part of Zero Dawn, but a separate initiative before the Faro Plague to stabilize the Yellowstone caldera, which explains why Cyan wasn't affected by all of the Zero Dawn AIs going wacky and trying to eat each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, I think we'll find that he lived out his life just fine in his bunker alone but fine, dying of natural causes as an old man. It's the most aggravating (for the audience) end for him.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lobok posted:

Doesn't sound like a great ending. The rest of the Alphas were already going squirrelly being cooped up like they were and with the prospect of spending the rest of their lives that way. Doing it alone would suck.

"Not a great ending" is the core theme of the Old Ones storylines. Unfairness and tragedy are kind of the point. It contrasts with Aloy fighting for survival and collecting allies and helping to forge relationships among disparate tribes.

mutata fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 20, 2022

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nah, it's cool, op.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's heavily implied that Sobeck was on the climate change fixing team and did most of the work there too, heh.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I just have a regular old PS4 slim and I'm gonna try my best to play this, heh.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I hope we meet some of the other AIs directly this game.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

As long as we get Forbidden Midwest DLC first so I get to be excited about finding more places I've lived and worked

I live in Utah for the moment, so discovering where I was in HZD was genuinely thrilling, haha. I love that Faro's HQ was in Salt Lake City. The Vantage lore mentions him buying drugs at the park in Salt Lake where people go to buy drugs. I was highly entertained.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I will be playing on a PS4 slim, and as long as it looks and runs like the last game, I'll be good.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Life imitates art etc: https://www.wired.com/story/deepmind-ai-nuclear-fusion/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

What are you on about? Are you implying that AI are inherently bad and shouldn't be trusted with scary concepts like hot fusion plasma? It's not like they can redirect the heat to rebel against their creators, since a plasma reaction is ridiculously feeble. The slightest error turns it off like a candle flame in a hurricane. That's also why an AI control is useful here.
Think less of the murderbot and more of the AI keeping the Yellowstone volcano stable.

Easy, there, Tex. It was a joke.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

haveblue posted:

Just a fan theory, the game says it definitely exploded. But anything can be retconned.

The word usage was "it was lost", I believe, so there's wiggle room.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

e: yeah ^^^

Here's the actual note:

Ah, whoops! Forgot that part. Still, I'm expecting it to be a thing in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I only just got done with the intro poo poo and I'm already hyped for whatever the gently caress this Death's Door mission is.