Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I loved the first game but plotwise I only remember that Ted Faro was a butthole

Can someone bullet point the story

The past:

Climate change gets really bad and after mass death and suffering humanity finally does something about it. A tech company headed by Ted Faro invents a new type of robot and tasks them with repairing climate damage.

These robots are so successful they become ubiquitous and are militarized and fitted with self-sustaining power sources that can refuel by processing organic matter in the environment (read: eating living things).

A software glitch sends one squad of these robots out of control, eating everything in sight and using it to manufacture more glitched robots. It quickly becomes clear that there is nothing that can be done about this and the robots will, within a few years, eat the entire biosphere. It will not be possible to crack their encryption and issue the shutdown command in time to prevent this.

Project Zero Dawn is founded- a program to build an automated network of facilities capable of recreating the biosphere, including human beings, after the robots are eventually shut down. The program is run by an AI named GAIA and a set of subordinate AIs specialized for various purposes. Part of this program is an archive of all of humanity's scientific knowledge, culture, and history, intended to be passed on to the new humans. The program is bankrolled by Faro but managed by a scientist named Elizabeth Sobek.

The realization that they are the last generation of humans before the species goes (temporarily) extinct breaks a lot of brains within the Zero Dawn staff, including that of Ted Faro. He becomes obsessed with the idea that the new humanity should be a clean break with the old, and right when the program is completed and about to be activated he deletes the knowledge archive and assassinates all of the Zero Dawn leaders except Sobek. Whether he did this specifically to delete the record of his own role in the destruction of the biosphere is a question for the reader.

Sobek manages to save and activate Zero Dawn, but only by sacrificing herself- sealing the last bunker from the outside. Inside the bunker, the last humans finish creating the program and eventually die off.

The program works- the robots do sterilize the planet, but GAIA is able to shut them down and establish a new, stable biosphere on the ruins of the old. Eventually this biosphere becomes capable of supporting human life, and GAIA creates them as well, but without the cultural archive they cannot be educated beyond basic survival skills.

The present, hundreds of years later:

Humanity lives as primitive tribes scattered across a world populated by both animals and animal-like robots. No one knows where they came from or what their purpose is, but they have learned how to hunt them for resources and been inspired enough to reach a roughly medieval level of technology- plus whatever electrical or mechanical parts they can repurpose from the robots. The planet is also full of leftover Faro war machines, which have been quiescent since Gaia shut them down.

An ancient machine, worshipped as a sacred site by the Nora, suddenly comes to life and brings forth a human infant. She is named Aloy and given to the local weirdo outcast to raise, and grows up to be a capable hunter but also kind of a misfit who conflicts with the tribe as well. This is largely due to her discovery, as a child, of a device called a Focus- an augmented reality digital assistant which has been secretly educating her about the lost world and grants her access to the remaining bits of technology. She is very curious about the robots and about the sacred machine, but tribal orthodoxy prevents her from investigating further.

When Aloy participates in a Nora coming-of-age ceremony, over the objections of the tribal leaders, outsiders armed with machine weapons attack and kill her adopted father and a large number of others. Aloy demands, and is finally granted, the freedom to explore why the attack happened and why the machines are becoming more hostile in general.

She discovers the attack was instigated by a cult called the Eclipse, nominally led by a man named Helis, but in reality led by the AI HADES, a component of the Zero Dawn program that had been charged with doing a hard reset of the biosphere had the initial attempts to redevelop it hit a dead end. HADES has been triggered by a signal received from an unknown source, and was attempting to fulfill its function by activating the long-dormant Faro robots. A scientist named Sylens had rediscovered it and let it develop out of his fascination with lost technology, but it discarded him once he was no longer useful and he allies with Aloy.

Aloy and Sylens explore the ruins of the Zero Dawn project and piece together the story of how the old world was destroyed. Aloy realizes she is a clone of Elizabeth Sobek, created by GAIA using the Zero Dawn incubator, and that Sobek's genes are the key to overriding HADES. She allies with the Carja Sundom, the kingdom that controls most of the world, to fight off the Eclipse and gain access to a HADES control terminal that will allow her to issue the shutdown command. This plan succeeds, GAIA regains control, HADES is neutralized, and the Faro robots are returned to dormancy.

Afterward, Aloy continues to explore the world, and eventually discovers the final resting place of the original Elizabeth Sobek. The Eclipse is left leaderless and destroyed. Tribal politics across the world are disrupted by the brief robot rampage. Sylens recaptures HADES but plans to continue to work with it.

In the DLC:

Aloy explores a new region which is experiencing a period of increased volcanic activity. It is revealed that this area is what we know as Yellowstone National Park, and the activity is coming from the destabilization of Cyan, a Zero Dawn program to manage the caldera underneath and prevent its eruption.

e: this took much too long to write

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just maybe not if you haven't played HZD in a long time, because FW is significantly harder than the base game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I agree, that part of the story is now over

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I love the arc of Frozen Wilds because it’s just so perfectly RPG

“May I go through that door?”

“No, only the chief of the tribe may go through the door.”

*becomes chief of the tribe*

Now may I go through that door?”

“…yes.”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wonder if they tried to get actual tilda first and then didn't change anything after recasting

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lance Reddick is a mensch

https://twitter.com/lancereddick/status/1359627780527374337

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think the ZD education program covered basic survival and is also the reason everyone speaks the same language. It just didn’t have anything past grade school and certainly not science or liberal arts

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The improvement in not just the facial animations but the composition of the conversation cut scenes is so dramatic, it's amazing. I remember saying about the first game that it was like no one at Guerilla had seen a movie the way every conversation had the same awkward back and forth angle with each person shifting their body weight like someone trying to act for the first time in their lives. They listened to criticism (not me obviously). There's real life in the characters' faces and the scenes look like someone who knows what they are doing with a camera "shot" the scenes.

They had already significantly improved the conversations in Frozen Wilds, I think they removed some technical limitations there and must have been working on it continuously ever since

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Guess we never got those right to repair laws, they did warn us about nonreplaceable batteries

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why is every single ad on that video the trailer for Jackass Forever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The title even has the same first word, have some imagination geez

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Horizon Faro Wins :smith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC they didn't exactly "fix" climate change, it still happened and cause a number of major disasters and later on they were able to undo some of it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They used to be a conduit for moving info from studios to gamefaqs, now I guess they're a conduit for moving info from studios to an army of youtubers who will fill your sidebar with spoiler thumbnails within an hour of the game coming out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think we're going to see a Horus move by the end of the game but we're not going to be plinking at it with a bow until it falls down, something else will happen to shut it down again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I kinda get what you're saying about sci-fi spectacle though, the first game gave me that sort of feeling at the end when there was giant energy waves filling the sky and an AI personified as a flying ball of light and Aloy making multiple visits to cyberspace. Some of that can be explained as Focus tricks but it did eat away at the realism a little

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Frozen Wilds is significantly harder than the base game so if you want to blast through it in a few days maybe leave it on story mode

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Agaragon posted:

Allow has a romance during the story with the clone of Ted Faro.

This is not what we meant by “gently caress ted faro” :mad:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Game 3 can be Horizon: Forbidden East

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"hmm, looks like this place didn't change much when civilization fell and robots scoured earth clean of all life"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't really care about Elden Ring PVP so I don't need to play it launch when the population peaks. I'll get around to it when I'm done with Forbidden West

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kinda? In the first game you could pick up stuff you knocked off the robot but also loot the corpse for a few more drops IIRC. It sounds like there will now be things that can only be picked up by knocking them off and will never drop from the corpse. The setting will pretend you knocked them all off and picked them up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Aloy has some kind of high-tech mouthpiece underwater so they might skip item 2, or remove it later in the game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You still have to hunt animals to increase inventory capacity. Preorder canceled

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Hades is a floating evil cloud" is the exact thing I thought was a bit much and deviated from the ideal level of grounding and realism in the rest of the game so... hmm

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hcreight posted:

If I pre-order the PS4 version will that prevent me from pre-loading the PS5 version? I'm trying to figure out the quickest way to be able to play the PS5 version without forking over the extra 10 bucks, my work schedule and download size permitting.

Yes, you will not be able to download the PS5 version until release

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maybe we shouldn't have been telling everyone to beeline for Meridian for years, oops

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:same:

Of course that requires you to be able to actually watch the discord and/or twitter account and task switch to reloading retailers at the drop of a hat at any random moment of the day

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you don’t literally have one on order right now that could be months

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

Let's pretend I'm a huge idiot who doesn't buy many games. For this day 1 patch, if I've already downloaded the preload does that mean I'll have to wait for another giant file to download before I can play?

Yes, but the patch will probably not be anywhere near the size of the full install

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RC Cola posted:

So in HZD, the signal is definately sent by a Ted Faro clone or ai programmed to be Ted Faro right? There is no way it wasn't Ted Faro's fault yet again right?

There are a couple of possibilities. The pre-Zero Dawn AI Vast Silver which was supposedly destroyed. The colony ship Odyssey which was supposedly lost after launch. Or it could be a new thing which hasn't been introduced yet, but those are the loose threads we know of.

It seems likely we'll visit the site of Faro's death but I kinda hope he's not part of the live present-day plot. He died hundreds of years ago, going beyond the reach of the present day, thinking he saved the world. You can't do anything about this or even express your anger at something approximating him like you're the AI in roko's basilisk. You just have to live with what he did. gently caress him.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 16, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought I was done buying expensive nerd toys but that lego tallneck looks really cool

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

el oso posted:

Are there any hints in HZD that the Odyssey actually survived or is that just a fan theory?

Just a fan theory, the game says it definitely exploded. But anything can be retconned.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Horizon definitely needs a stronger Miyazaki influence, I want to befriend woodland spirits and fly around on a broomstick with my cat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Didn't bother installing the PS4 version, will download the PS5 version while working on Friday

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Machine hunting is life!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you buy it digital you don't have to download it immediately and if you delete it you can download it again, it doesn't have to live permanently on your drive

Also if you pop in the disc it's going to perform the install anyway, there's no way to play the game without reserving a chunk of storage for it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you want to be absolutely sure there's a button to check for a patch right now in the PS4 game browser options menu

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Skipping 1500 posts to say I finished this and it was really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CeeJee posted:

Some rebel camp I came across was having a big battle with Clawstriders and while it seemed the Rebel Leader had some 'cannot_die' flag on he still got clawed to 1 percent health for one arrow to do the job. Thanks, murderbots !

Unless that's one specific camp, I don't think they do. I was sneaking through one camp trying to plan my attack when suddenly the objective switched from "kill the leader" to "loot the leader", and it took me a while to figure out his corpse was well outside the front gate next to a very angry robot