Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This game is pretty awesome so far (I'm not that far into it, only now about to leave the starting valley even though I've been playing for like 5+ hours). I'm going to try to use melee more, since in the original I mostly just did stealth and archery. It seems like this one gives you a lot more options for close-range fighting, with the resonator stuff, combos, and warrior bow skills.

That one situation in the first town feels vaguely like some sort of anti-union propaganda, though. Like there's this guy trying to make the workers strike, but only because he is selfish and wants to enrich himself, and the virtuous workers just want to get back to work! The reasoning for giving the Oseram ownership over the camp makes sense (pretty much everyone living and working there appears to be Oseram), even if this guy only wants to do it for selfish reasons.

Enderzero posted:

Man I wish they had a visual mode that was performance in gameplay and resolution in cutscenes. It switches instantly, but I can't play with that kind of lag. But when I'm just watching, give me the glory! For longer cutscenes I've been switching between the two, but it sure would be a nice QoL feature to add.

Same. Resolution is fine when the camera is still and there's not a ton of motion, but is painful when you're trying to move the camera around while fighting. It makes me wonder if some people just have fundamentally different vision, because 30fps for gameplay is just completely unplayable for me. While the camera is moving it's impossible to see any detail from the environment, because you can actually see the frames changing. It's be nice if I could just switch it with a button press or something, instead of having to go into the menu.

On the upside, Performance Mode's resolutions is still fine and looks great. I think it's 1800p.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

blue squares posted:

Yeah, I was really annoyed by this at first, too. But then I found out that basically nobody in the town likes him, he didn't get voted in, he manipulated people and contracts to get advantages, and he winds up coming off more like some small-town boss in a Western that everyone is afraid of crossing. He was only pretending to run a union.

He's a bad guy for sure, but that's a writing choice. Anti-union propaganda frequently centers around the idea that union bosses are just greedy and trying to enrich themselves, that the union is bullying people into joining it (and punishing people who don't cooperate), and that it doesn't really have the workers' interests in mind, so it's not really inconsistent with the portrayal in the game.

I don't think that this was intended by the writers, though.

Enderzero posted:

I've wondered that too. In slower games I can deal with 30fps, but some people claim 60 is not a big deal. In contrast, I upgraded from a 60hz tv to a 120hz tv recently, and I started playing Rocket League again after a 2 year break and quickly jumped up 2 ranks, which took me from the top 20% of players to top 10%, just because I can predict and follow fast motion so much better.

Same - I also recently upgraded to a 120hz TV. It is very noticeable. I've been replaying Yakuza 0 on it (my PC is hooked to my receiver, which is connected to the TV), which can run with smooth 120fps, and sometimes the game will get confused and randomly switch back to 60fps (I think because I do a weird dual-monitor thing with my PC monitor as one and the TV as the other), and it's immediately obvious when the switch happens. Moving the camera around goes from "so smooth it's uncanny, almost like you're just watching something move IRL" at 120fps to "minor blur" at 60fps.

60fps is still fine, though; 120hz is just a special treat when I can run a game at that framerate. But 30fps is downright uncomfortable for any game that involves panning a camera around 3d environments (or quickly moving 3d models). It makes motion go from a blur to "can actually see the frames changing."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's kind of funny how Aloy is such an rear end in a top hat to everyone. She treats almost everyone like they're an overly chatty acquaintance she ran into at the grocery store and wants to disengage from. Like I think they're going for "Aloy wants to carry this burden alone and keeps people at a distance because of this," but it comes off more like she's just annoyed and doesn't want to deal with anyone else.

I guess it kind of makes sense given her background, but I still feel kinda bad for the characters who interact with her. I try to help by always choosing the heart options when interacting with friendly characters (unfriendly ones get the fist).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is it just me or is the tear ammo from the Shredder Gauntlet kind of underwhelming? It doesn't seem to knock off parts any faster than just shooting them with my hunter bow. It's fun to use, but it's usually not very helpful.

Otherwise I'm really enjoying the game. It feels a little "denser" than the first game for some reason that I can't quite explain.

edit: Btw, for anyone who doesn't just really like grinding, I would recommend turning on the Easy Loot setting. It has made loot-related stuff far more tolerable, while not completely breaking things. I still have to go out of my way to kill stuff to craft upgrades and can't just go completely hog wild with the rarer ammunition, but it prevents me from having to go out of my way to farm.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

the but thou musts in the game are quite amusing sometimes. love the guard in the memorial grove yelling "YOU MUST USE THE CENTER STAIRCASE OUTLANDER" so you can properly trigger the cutscene. tried to do a chill "get all the tallnecks" bit tonight but then realized that the game will not, in fact, let you swim to san francisco. at least the little scene at treasure island was nice

I like how characters get mad if you just run off to grab the corpse of a bird you just shot while they're in the middle of talking with you. Just had that happen when you meet the hot Carja hunter lady from the first game (who is also seemingly the first character in the entire game that Aloy has responded to in a 100% friendly manner) and she's seriously talking to about the basis of the sidequest plot and I ran off to harvest something and she, understandably, sounds really put off about it.

JBP posted:

Tallnecks are like puzzles now and one is locked by story. For real I recommend doing the story first then the open world stuff and working on your weapons. I had two go to weapons alongside my elementals and they just carried me through boss encounters. Get yourself a weapon that just makes explosions, they're the new everything good.

Also if you can't be hosed upgrade powershots to max and forget the meter like I do then break it out on problems. Power shots make problems disappear.

Powershots are nuts; I got it because I don't like the concept of "timed buffs" and the idea of just making my next X shots strong is much more appealing.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 1, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It annoys me how a lot of Firegleam points stay on my map after I've cleared them.

edit: The thing one poster mentioned about combing the stealth valor surge with the abilities that give valor on stealth kills sounds interesting.

bobjr posted:

There's definitely been times in fights with multiple machines where the get knocked down/spend time getting up/get knocked down before you can really do anything loop kept happening to me.

It feels like they tried to nerf just charging up a power attack and knocking robots over, but I think too many robots go for leap that end in additional thrashing, where your dodge isn't enough to get out of the way.

Yeah, I'm confused about how I'm supposed to use my full "knock machines over" melee combo; machines basically never give you enough time to do that, even if you wait until the end of one of their own attack combos. And when there are multiple machines, the combination of their ranged attacks and jumping melee attacks can sometimes feel impossible to avoid.

One thing I've found to be very useful is using the Warrior Bow burst shot with electric arrows to down small-ish machines, which you can then finish off with a critical strike (or just electric stuff in general, but the Warrior Bow burst shot is just very good at applying it).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 1, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Utaru architecture looks really cool. This game is pretty gorgeous in general, especially on the OLED. Night-time + moon + water is very pretty.

Hollismason posted:

Found a Side quest that was level 15 , but I did it anyway and ended up facing my very first Snapjaw, which after banging my head against trying to kill it for a while I ended up killing it with some rocks, which was cool and good

I'm now level 14, I really need better weapons or at least weapons that offer fire and electricity or something because drat all these robots are vulnerable to fire and electricity and i only got acid.

I've started heavily relying on electricity, because it's a way to down machines (which against most machines lets you kill them - or close - with a critical strike).

Going to try out the machine gun-ish weapon soon to see how good that is at applying elements (I have one with electric + regular ammo). I rarely used it in the first game and I'm trying to expand my toolset more in this one. In the original I mostly just used sharpshooter bow + hunter bow + tripcaster.

Hollismason posted:

Is the spike thrower worth it? Because seriously I been using it at level 1 and it doesn't really good any damage. It's also super loving slow and difficult to use.

It seems really good to me? Are you sure you're not missing the explosion damage? The initial hit (with the first one you get) barely does any damage, but it's followed up with an explosion a second or two later. I think the sustained damage might be better than most (if not all) other weapons. Not sure how it compares with an explosion blast sling.

IcePhoenix posted:

Also you can get a weapon skill that turns them into a rocket

I just unlocked this, since I'm going down the Machine skill tree (partly due to wanting to unlock some spike thrower skills). Some of thee skills in this tree seem kind of lame (I don't exactly do much combat while on my mount), though overriding seems situationally useful and I imagine the "move faster while using a heavy weapon" could actually be pretty good against the big machines that drop weapons.

exquisite tea posted:

If that part gets too tricky remember you can set concentration time to be infinite.

This reminds me of another extremely good suggestion - turning the Weapon Wheel slowdown as high as possible (I think under Accessibility settings). I don't think this even counts as any sort of difficulty setting, so there's not really any reason to not do it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lord Hydronium posted:

Shellsnappers are the ones that've been the bane of my existence (and the thing that finally drove me to drop "Damage to Aloy" down to Hard). Most other machines I've figured out the best way to take them down relatively quickly, but those drat turtles are always a slog. Targeting the shell clamps to knock off the shell is the way I've been doing it, and the way I think it's supposed to be done, but even that takes forever. And elemental attacks like acid are nice, but the drat thing just burrows to remove them. Meanwhile it's spitting ice attacks that make the battlefield harder to dodge on, burrowing around so it's either almost out of range or right next to me, and before I dropped the difficulty down, always at risk of a one hit kill if I slipped up for a second. I don't think I've fought one without it taking at least ten minutes, using up all my health items, and leaving me at the verge of death even when I do beat it. Thunderjaws and Stormbirds are a cakewalk in comparison.

When I fought the first one I thought "aha, the perfect moment to use my Shredder Gauntlet's tear ammo!" and proceeded to shoot the clamps a bunch, which did jack poo poo (I broke a couple, but in the end it went down from raw damage long before I could get its shell off). I don't get why the tear ammo from a weapon literally called "Shredder Gauntlet" is so underwhelming at what should presumably be its main purpose.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I agree with what Fedule says about the loot, which is part of why I recommend just turning on Easy Loot and not having to think much about it. I've never had to actively farm anything so far and can pretty freely craft as much of any ammo as I want (obviously with some limits, but not enough to really matter). This might change with loving Greenshine though, since it's terrible. Limiting equipment/upgrade access by requiring certain machine parts is fine, but requiring this extremely limited resource is really bad, especially when a big draw to the gameplay is the huge variety of weapons.

I think the idea behind the loot is to encourage you to kill specific machine types, but it gets way beyond that with the countless parts that aren't just "(machine) core/heart/whatever." The way each area has just a few specific animals is also a goofy way to gate the resource/ammo satchel upgrades.

Clarste posted:

B) The game sucks on the most basic level. The optimal strategy is to move your pieces in circles until the opponent overcommits.

Yeah, it seems objectively preferable to just stay out of range until the enemy moves into your range. The ability that lets you attack twice (forget what it's called) encourages this even more.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Not sure whether to buy this "Sun-touched Hunter Bow" or "Canister Ropecaster"

How is the latter? I already have a rare hunter bow that is similar to this one, but without the fire arrows (and with a trade off where it does extra component damage instead of crit chance/damage), so probably not going with that for now.

Does the Canister Ropecaster still rope things down? Or does it only attach the canisters? (edit: Yay, I bought the Canister Ropecaster, but it does *not* require any loving greenshine to upgrade. There's not really any downside to purchasing stuff that doesn't require that poo poo, since you can easily farm up whatever it needs and shards are relatively easy to come by.)

edit: Just finished these stealth hunting trials. First was a bit of a pain, just because it's hard to keep track of all the Burrowers and there's an instant fail condition. The last one was funny because my second kill was absolutely not a kill from above, but it still counted. I parachuted down but was too low and hit the ground and immediately stealth killed the Burrower, but the trial counted it as a parachute kill. Oh well, still happy it's over with.

Fedule posted:

It's an option if you set the difficulty to Custom. It gives detachable components a chance to just show up on machine corpses even if you don't detach them. It's not guaranteed (while detaching them is) but it's better than the 0% it would be otherwise.

Yeah, I like it because detaching components usually isn't exactly hard, but I don't want to have to fool with it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 3, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tensai posted:

Thanks for writing all this. I've been trying to put my finger on why I'm not loving the game. There's the weird sticky-ness of climbing combined with Aloy just refusing to go where you want. There's all of the loving resources. The combat seems weird in a way where some fights are super easy and then the next herd destroys me. I just unlocked the arena and racing and I don't need more things to do. Hell, even the story....NPCs talk so effing much and give so much exposition that I'm checking my phone by the time they are done telling me their life story in a tribe that I barely remembered.

I think someone mentioned the lack of evasive/defensive options, and I kind of agree about that. Some of the attacks seem very difficult to consistently avoid, but the machines making the attacks have so much HP that I don't think there's any way to quickly take them down. If I open the battle well I might take off a good chunk, the remaining chunk will still take a very long time.

The machine that partially prompted this post was a Shellsnapper I fought last night (which seemed much harder than the Cauldron one I fought before). Is there a reason to shoot off the entire shell, or is it only necessary to shoot off part of it and then shoot the exposed section? I decided to try my newly upgraded "Slicing Shredder Gauntlet" and paid attention to the number of shots it took to destroy a clamp (I also mentioned doing this in an earlier post, but this is actually a latter attempt with the weapon upgraded twice more), and I believe it was at least 5 "perfect" shots where the shredder hit the clamp head on and then proceeded to "shred" it (not sure how this works; does it do the amount of tear damage listed in the stats over the course of the short DoT?).

The camera also makes things hard sometimes. Like with the Shellsnapper, it'll jump in the air, and the only way to keep an eye on it is to move the camera in such a way that it's hard to keep moving Aloy. And frequently attacks have such a large AoE that I'm not sure how to avoid it, even if I immediately start rolling.

All that being said, I still enjoy the combat. I think the visuals go a long way towards allowing me to overlook things, and even though the combat gets frustrating, I don't actually die much (only playing on Normal, though, and I think things will get harder later, since I'm only now starting to encounter things like Shellsnappers in the wild).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just got a Bristleback for a mount

Love my big boy. Just running into a group of chargers and kicking them to death.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it seems that overriding mountable machines lasts indefinitely (even if you don't mount them)?

I have three aggressive Fire Bristlebacks following me around. They are very noisy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just got a bow with Tearblast ammo on it (the story one - now I feel bad for investing in this other one, since this thing seems extremely good), and it makes the Shredder Gauntlet even more confusing to me, since those arrows appear to do way more Tear damage plus being much easier to aim to boot.

I want to like the Shredder Gauntlet, but I just don't understand the point of it. The Spiker Thrower in comparison is awesome.

Btw, speaking of new weapons, how's the beam Tripcaster ammo? Does that just create a beam that hurts any enemies that stand in it or pass through it?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apparently the permanently overridden hogs disappear after you've quit the game (aside from your actual mount). Probably for the best. I can always go "hog wild" if I really decide I want something dead.

Looking forward to the climax of this game when the evil invulnerable guy shows up and Aloy proceeds to ride towards him followed by 50 giant hogs

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lobok posted:

Not sure if it was mentioned in the thread yet but a reminder you can use your pullcaster to bring chests to you. Don't always have to find a way up or over to them. Sometimes they'll be in a little space with a door partially open, you can pull them close enough to the door to loot them.

Also the fact that if you stack a chest onto another chest they'll combine together (they can be separated, but you can can push them around together). This is necessary for some puzzles and gave me a lot of trouble on this one ruin last night.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cactus posted:

Even in "performance mode" (which should just be labelled "default mode" because wtf is that other mode? lol. "unplayable slideshow screenshot mode?!" why does this exist?)

I said something similar a while back and a couple people acted like this was a weird sentiment and that the 30fps mode was fine, which genuinely makes me question whether some people just have different eyes or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I figured out something I was doing wrong with the Shredder Gauntlet. Apparently it's best to use it from further away, and if you do that it's not too hard to catch it.

edit: Oooh, after a few throws the Shredder shot explodes for a bunch more damage.

edit2: lmao tried fighting this Apex Shellsnapper and I have no idea how the gently caress you're supposed to beat that thing other than just chugging healing potions non-stop. As far as I can tell, it's impossible to reliably avoid its attacks, and you rarely get a chance to attack yourself because its guns shoot faster than you can charge any weapons that aren't fast-firing. I have no idea how people would fight this thing on a harder difficulty mode. I think I might be able to beat it in the late game through sheer attrition when I just have a large quantity of healing items and higher defense.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 7, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

The trick to shell snappers is to hit the armor bolts. This blows off huge chunks of its shell and the guns along with it.

When fighting a non-Apex version (after I died the Apex one was replaced with a normal one) I found the my new Tearblaster arrows (fully upgraded the bow I got from the story with them) were great at this (I think just 2 knocked off the gun + clamps + some armor bits for an entire quadrant of the shell). Like, so much better that I don't understand why you'd ever want to use another tear ammo (unless you're just trying to save resources against weaker things). Granted, that's probably partly because of the ridiculous mod I have that gives +100% component tear for Sharpshot bow ammo.

I was also able to knock off most of the guns (all but one) on the Apex version this way, but it went berserk once it got to low health and just hosed me up with nonstop attacks. I think the thing that bugged me is that I don't know what I could have done to avoid any of them. I'm sure I'll be able to win the same fight when I'm 10 levels higher, but it makes me wonder what people on high difficulties are doing.

I might try using my canister rope-caster the next time I try fighting a big machine. It seems like a reasonable way to apply trap-ish damage/elements in the middle of a fight. Hell, I probably should have tried a regular ropecaster against the turtle, since its jumping + digging were loving me up (moreso later, largely because the area was covered in ice from its attacks, limiting my movement).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Ruins give a legendary shredder

Ugh. Gotta do that since for some god-forsaken reason I'm determined to keep using Shredders even though they're worse than all my other weapons.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah - I enjoy BotW and think it's a great game, but I don't really understand people who are just like "I'm so excited to explore every nook and cranny" and consider it the pinnacle of all open world games.

I feel like this game should have done more with human vs human combat. They give you all this wild melee stuff, but fighting rebels in melee is always trivially easy and the ranged ones you can just keep running around while periodically doing concentrated arrow shots.

Giant Ethicist posted:

If you make a job out of it, the game will direct you on the map to Greenshine of the type you need, and (at least in my experience) it won't be locked behind firegleam / vines / deep water. It might be on the top of a mountain guarded by a Stormbird, but it will at least show you where some is that you can walk or climb to.

(Also, once you can swim, sunken caves tend to have a lot of it.)

Edit: I, too, missed that someone had already mentioned this.

Thanks for mentioning this, since I wasn't aware of it.

Hollismason posted:

Cool got a quest that gave me a drilbit spike thrower and I upgraded it fully with green shine that I had that I have just been saving. Now I loaded up with two coils and it does 200 damage of explosive power.

gently caress Yea.

I think I just got this last night. I'm pretty eager to try it out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I have a raptor mount, now (the same one I mentioned soloing two other raptors - he proved himself worthy). Mixed about this. On one hand, it's far easier to control and attack with*. On the other hand, it's not a big hog, which is almost a deal-breaker by itself. I think it also might be somewhat slower than the other mounts? Not sure about that.

edit: One thing I like is how the PS5's haptic feedback stuff feels different with each mount type. The controller is probably the best thing about this console - the haptic feedback stuff is so cool when games actually make use of it properly.

* I feel like someone mentioned the raptor having a ranged attack, but neither his R1 or R2 do a ranged attack. Does it vary by elemental type?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Soonmot posted:

Loving the game but gently caress me I've died so many times trying to select something from my bottom inventory during a fight. Where did my smoke bombs go? Where are My healing potions wtf

The item/trap select interface is super bad. I deliberately limit the number of things I include in it (you can configure it, in case you're not aware), but even that's awkward because you have this giant wheel with all these empty spaces.

I'll usually just put the 2-3 things I might actually use during combat (like 1 or 2 potions + a relevant trap type) next to each other.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

The Fire/Acid Clawstriders have a ranged attack they'll do on their own, but unfortunately you cannot use them while mounted. Hopefully Guerrilla changes this because with a full Machine Master loadout I've seen the raptor fireballs one-shot everything up to Bristleback on Very Hard.

I found this out while attacking a rebel base just now. He launched these three acid bombs from really far away and proceeded to just wreck everyone. I'm pretty sure he could have solo'd the entire base on his own if I had left him to it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hollismason posted:

This game gives you a tremendous amount of skill points. I'm at level 34 I have filled out the hunter tree, most of the warrior , and most of the stealth, and now I have 64 skill points to fill.

Honestly don't know what to pick now.

Machine tree is fun because it's fun watching buffed overridden machines go wild.

Also some convenient stuff in traps, like increasing food buff time and making traps fast to use.

edit: Speaking of overridden machines, make sure that you don't set your mount to Aggressive (once you get the ability to override machines as either Defensive or Aggressive). My Acid Clawstrider just ran off and attacked some Thunderjaw that was super far away. He is dead now. Aggressive is usually best when you're just overriding things to fight, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how (minor Tenakh spoilers) The Ten were basically these chuds funded by some rich guy to rebel against the government for States Rights, and the machines they were fighting weren't even the same machines as the ones who destroyed the world

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

God, this 3rd Strike board against this person that uses a Slitherfang is such a pain in the rear end. You can't bait her into getting into your range. It's not cool!

edit: This following game she randomly rushes me, what the heck lol. I should be able to turn this into a win.

edit2: I just got a weapon with another new ammo - shield wires. It seems like how good that is depends heavily on how much damage it can absorb.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 10, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm trying the Hunting Grounds with the Tremortusk, and I'm wondering if I should wait until later (I'm level 31 now). I completed the "kill machines with a mount" one pretty easily, since I've gotten all the machine buffs from that skill tree and it's easy enough to go in a wide circle and avoid the Tremortusk.

But the other two are giving me trouble. With the first, it seems really hard to apply enough Purgewater and then apply Shock before the Purgewater wears off. You can buy a Purgewater hunting bow, but it does a comically low amount (and is the only Purgewater weapon I have). I was able to apply it with Purgewater traps, but still had a really rough time getting Shock on it + shooting off tusks before my time runs out. And the worst thing is that each attempt is very expensive in resources.

The third one seems like a desperate scramble to hope you don't get smashed by the Tremortusk while trying to shoot the raptors with its guns (which are fortunately pretty easy to knock off, at least the two top ones). I managed to get the 2nd prize, but doing it fast enough for the first will be hard.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

The second challenge becomes a lot easier with Purgewater bombs. I think I used the Corrosive Blastsling to apply purgewater, then hit the shock canisters with lightning arrows. You can drop smoke bombs to enter stealth and get another clean shot at the Tremortusk.

Same principle with the third challenge. On Very Hard you can't really kill the raptors with the Tremortusk cannons alone, but you can damage them to near-death with Braced Shot + whatever, use smoke bombs to get everyone off you while picking up the gun, then blast them for the remaining 20% or so health.

Basically whenever a Hunting Ground trial seems really tricky or technical, there's probably something you can cheese with smoke bombs.

....ah. Kinda forgot about those lol Being able to lose aggro after knocking the guns off will make things radically easier.

Simulation883 posted:

Maybe my game glitched out, but when I did the Shock Challenge the Tremortusk was displaying its Electric coils which caused a chain reaction, making the shock aspect super easy.

I probably just missed this also.

Ulio posted:

Ya the vertical traps are quite good, I might traps in general seem quite strong in this game. I thought the regular impact arrows were the best option in the first game for dps but I think the game is better designed in this since you need to exploit weaknesses a lot more.

Yeah, traps are nuts and seem pretty necessary to beating the really big machines in a timely matter (unless you use one of the goofy combos like the Power shots + Brace shot + certain equipment thing).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I succeeded in shocking the Tremortusk in the Hunting Trial, but when it's shocked it collapses and puts its head to the ground, making its tusks all clip underground where I can't shoot them! What the heck lol

edit: The next few times after that, he either destroys the Purgewater traps (without them actually giving him the status - I guess if he hits them with his tusks they just get destroyed without doing anything) or the Purgewater trap has somehow triggered an explosion, causing me to instantly fail.
edit2: And again he stepped on the trap but it applied no Purgewater and just set him on fire (???)
edit: Got full stripes on the "kill machines with the Tremortusk's weapons." Only need the stupid Purgewater/Shock thing (I got half-stripes on it once, at least)
edit: FINALLY. It is done.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 11, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I fought one of the bear machines for the first time today (a fire one). It was not pleasant. It has some attacks that I'm not sure how to dodge. Second bear I fought (an ice one) was much easier for some reason.

Is there any reason to hold onto all these Apex machine hearts? I've been holding onto them because I don't trust the game's tooltips after encountering some vendors that trade for Pristine Skulls (seriously why do they put "Sell for machine shards" as the purpose when something can also be used for something else? just tricking the player for no reason).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Machine overriding is so powerful any time you actually have the opportunity to do it. I did a fight against multiple Skydrifters and overrode one, and it both distracts and does huge damage to the other 3 I was fighting.

Another fight I overrode a Bellowback, which handily survived until the end of a confrontation with several other machines, including two other Bellowbacks.

If you haven't gotten the Skill, do all machines get overridden as the equivalent of "Defensive" mode? Defensive mode seems really inconsistent if you want a machine to fight. At first I thought it mean the machine would attack whenever you do, but I did a Defensive Override on a Clawstrider once and it just sat there while I fought.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You are correct - Apex Machine Hearts are for endgame gear upgrades. Metal Blocks are worth keeping too - Salvagers will trade those for Machine parts, and they have some rare goodies.

Thanks for answering this - for some reason Google also wasn't very helpful. Googling for anything related to games is so terrible these days - you get nothing but clickbait sites with virtually zero information (like if you google and item you'll get 8 sites that just say "X is a resource item in the game Horizon: Forbidden West")

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao what the gently caress

I overrode this "Purgewater Canister Burrower" and it proceeded to one-shot another Purgewater Canister Burrower followed by one-shotting a Frost Glinthawk, both wtih some super long-range attack where it threw some sort of projectile.

Was not expecting this thing to just effortlessly solo all the other machines in the area (except for this Bellowback).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 12, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How does the damage from Braced Shot compare with the damage from Focused Shot (or whatever the other one is that lets you zoom in more)?

I'm also curious how the damage of the various "super strong single attack" skills compare, since they all use the same resource in Weapon Stamina. Like you have Braced Shot and the propelled Spike Thrower thing, or the super Shredder shot, or the big burst fire from the Bolt gun.

exquisite tea posted:

Unfortunately no, you gotta use it up. I hope GG patches it so you can cancel valor surge by hitting R1+L1 again, since it's annoying when the machine is dead and you still have the VS overlay and sound buzzing on your DS5.

I wish they could do this with Power Shots; I imagine they don't because of the "refills ammunition" aspect once its' fully upgraded.

Speaking of which, I've started to take advantage of that now that I have Advanced arrows for my Sharpshot bow (which unfortunately used one of the rare materials that I only have like 100-150 of).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 12, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fighting Slitherfangs confuses me. I have zero idea how you dodge the attack where they swing their whole body around - it covers *way* too much space for you to dodge.

I just fought the one for the final Amateur arena fight and *barely* won, but it was sheer attrition because I had no way (that I could figure out, at least) to dodge its attacks. In the wild you can at least use surrounding terrain, but not in the arena.

edit: At least the ones where I can bring my own gear have been pretty easy so far, since I can just go hog wild with my explosives and traps

edit2: What would people recommend I first spend arena medals on? I'm not sure if I'll be able to actually get them all, so might need to be choosy. I'm a little more interested in a weapon; my Tenakth Vindicator armor seems pretty fine for now, and if I had to choose one of these armors it'd probably be the Carja Stalker Elite (both because it looks neat, and because the extra stealth and trap stuff seems to offer the most noticeable differences in gameplay - I feel like I have enough Concentration that I don't need the extra offered by the Nora Thunder Warrior armor)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 13, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

You can dodge the Slitherfang’s sweep. They have two melee attacks they like to do from a distance, one that’s just a single charge, and the other with that followup sweep that you need to roll out of with a very short delay. You can also dodge the lightning zap if you tap roll as soon as you see the beam travel. Aloy gets i-frames on her dodge so you can get out of many implausible looking attacks in this game.

How do you roll out of the follow-up sweep? Or are you referring to doing some i-frames thing?

edit: Oh jeez, the next fight is against 2x Snapmaw and 1x Tideripper with supplied equipment. I can't just put down my Elite Blast Traps :( (edit2: This actually wasn't so bad since everything is super weak to electricity)

Btw do you get to keep stuff you loot in the arena? I know you can loot it, but I'm wondering if it resets that like it does your equipment

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 13, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Deformed Church posted:

The increased weapon variety is great, but hampered by the grindy upgrade system everyone's complained about.

Yeah, one thing I really dislike is that there are significant downsides to upgrading a lot of gear, since you will often find straight-upgrades (and sometimes you don't know if there will be an upgrade - like I don't want to go all-in on some purple weapon - a very expensive endeavor - when the legendary for that weapon type uses the same sort of ammo).

I just looked up the weapons to decide which purple ones to invest in (like deciding to invest in the elemental-focused Boltblaster because the legendary one is all impact/explosive), but it's annoying having to do that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I ended up spending my arena coins on the legendary Boltblaster. I'm happy with this choice, because this thing is ridiculous even without upgrades. I stuck a "4% chance of put enemy in corroded state" mod on it (that I got from some quest - my only legendary mod currently), and it procs pretty often, especially if I use the "Sustained Burst" skill (I think it has a >50% chance of proccing with that). Seems like it'll be even more bonkers if I put other "chance to proc status" mods on it.

I think it's probably the highest raw DPS I can do that doesn't involve a valor surge or traps. The main weakness is reloading, which is pretty slow in any sort of busy fight.

Hollismason posted:

I've unlocked all of the Hunter skills except for a few Weapon Skills, All of the Warrior Tree except for the Valor surges, and all the machine tree except for the valor surges and I still have a 141 skill points.

Game gives you a poo poo load of skill points.

Yeah, I'm level 42 and have every single passive skill, one skill for every weapon type, and 3 fully maxed out valor surges (Power Shots, the trap one, and the Chain one since it seems like it might be useful in the arena)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zomborgon posted:

Animal hunting is unfortunately still pretty misrrable and now expanded in scope

Not a fan of squinting at silouettes or trying to pinpoint scan a tiny bird from 50 yards away to see if it's what I need, and requiring me to mark them most every time since they're invisible under the grass

I find the animals pretty easy to deal with as long as you just occasionally murder them when you see them. It's not like you need to farm many for pouch upgrades (I think you only need 5 or fewer of each bone/skin type). All the birds you need are big except for the Blue Jays at the start.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Opponent AI in Strike is so loving weird. I played one game against this "Experienced" Strike opponent where they constantly stayed out of range and defeated me in the end after a mistake I made.

Then I repeat the same match, only this time the AI starts Overdriving their pieces for no reason, to the point where their big 10HP piece only has 4HP remaining. I ended up winning.

Strike is kind of a bummer, because I feel like it could have been good, but the mechanics seem to greatly advantage staying on the defense (and the higher difficulty AI reflects this).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like using the Boltblaster against human enemies. They almost always go down in a single full burst of advanced normal ammo from my legendary Boltblaster. It's also just fun to run into the guy who has a machine gun and be like "got my own machine gun :hehe:"