Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

having to go into the menu to change weapons mid-fight because six slots isn't enough sucks !!!

also the quickdraw thing, idk how the hell you're supposed to aim reliably or accurately on a controller while sliding or whatever. feels easier and more effective to just aim & shoot normally

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Or just go Warrior/Machine Master and don't give a poo poo about aiming.
i think I might just do this :v: if nothing else, i haven't given the spike throwers a fair shake yet, as of being tasked to retrieve three major Plot MacGuffins

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

man resetting the skill tree anytime is nice but holding X on all the skills again is such drudgery considering it's not a permanent choice

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i regularly completely forget smoke bombs exist because dpad down is the call mount button and that muscle memory ain't changing :colbert:

(yes playing on hard is giving me some trouble without potions why do you ask)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Would strongly recommend anyone with a 2000 or 3000 series Nvidia GPU download the dlssg to fsr3 mod to enable AMD frame generation when you're technically not supposed to have it, I'm still running a 3070 and it's given me enough of a performance boost to run everything at Very High with a consistent 60+ FPS. Some people seem to have negative opinions about frame generation but I've used that mod in several games now and it's basically a "download more FPS" meme but real. With Nvidia Reflex enabled I can't notice any difference in input response and the generated frames are indistinguishable from real ones.
I tried this but turning on frame generation forces on NVIDIA Reflex which gets me to a sub-10 framerate most of the time, and a very choppy 60 the rest. any idea why that might be?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i wonder if i ought to stop the sidequesting and just beeline main story until i can fly

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

Yeah it's right before the penultimate mission but since it's an open world you could in theory beeline the flying mount and then use it to do the bulk of side content

This will probably make the late main missions really hard though because they do expect you to stop along the way sometimes
where's the DLC content sit anyway, is it post-ending? If so I suppose I can justify holding off on getting flying going and just use it there (I'm about to head toward Landfall for the next main quest, for reference)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also, does anyone actually use overriding for anything other than getting a mount? for all the trouble some of these cauldrons are (Chi kicked my rear end up & down) it sure seems less than useful, even with points in the machine tree

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

soooo i just did the big setpiece on Landfall and i hated every single second of it :cry::cry::cry:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

going by my own experience whether it works or not is unknowable because the game decides on a whim whether it's going to perform well or not in the first place. sometimes i'll launch the game and it's 100+ fps for over 3 hours, other times I've got 15 minutes or a single load screen before The Judder begins and I have to quit out. no amount of fiddling with display options, graphics options, drivers, nvidia cp settings, overclocks, the FSR mod, etc. etc. seems to do anything to change that luck factor, and this is the only game that does it

the port seemed good at first but my estimation of it is going down the longer this goes on, it's really frustrating

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

People have been saying the game loads higher res textures in for cutscenes but doesn’t clear them out when they’re done, resulting in VRAM leakage over time. Keeping textures at High and capping my FPS at 60 seemed to mostly clear up these issues for me, although that’s with a 10GB card. People with 8GB GPUs seem to be affected most.
This seems right, I'm on an 8GB 3070 and now that I'm looking at it in a cutscene light, everything starts falling apart after about three of those. Hopefully it gets patched soon

Anyway I've had enough sidequests; on to the story Cauldron where I'm sure nothing will go wrong whatsoever :) ha ha haaa one of these jokers in the Base is loving dead i just know it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

speaking of graphics, something I've been wondering: in this screenshot, is the pixel-y dust devil in the top-left an artifact of a particular graphics setting, or just part of HFW's look? the rest of this game is so pretty that that sort of effect becomes really distracting

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what's weird is the pixellation is still there even if I turn off DLSS and all AA. Lot less noticeable when I'm not paused, but still there

That said I still have the framegen injection DLL in there so my 3070 can do it, maybe that's having some kind of effect even if I turn it all off in the options

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

fuckin' computers :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah i just didn't expect that effect to look so cheap with everything else around it, is all

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ulio posted:

This just makes me think of "gamers" saying Aloy has been uglified lol. She looks great, game looks greamt.
i can't help it, it's really distracting :smith:

(e) the dust devil, not Aloy

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm not the only one who puts on the appropriate armor and face paint depending on which clan's territory I'm in, right?

(would that be cultural appropriation on Aloy's part?)
the pride face paint is never coming off :quig::justtrans:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've finished all the base game side quests & errands I can find, as well as all the salvage contracts - anything else I ought to do or get before starting the DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ah, good - wasn't sure how long until i could come back. cheers