Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I feel like I've been away from the console wars for too long, that guy's twitter is just completely incomprehensible to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If anyone watches the Skill Up review, can you tell us if we can listen to it without spoilers? Obviously as long as his reviews are there's no way you're not going to be spoiled if you watch, but I really enjoy his stuff and wonder if he spoils much in his actual discussion.
If you want to be absolutely unspoiled, there's about a 6 minute segment on 'story and characters' that's marked in the description, otherwise I think you're good.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
wow it looks good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtTLrfdchoo

some location spoilers here, they mostly keep it to the different wilderness biomes and things we've seen in the trailers, but around the 24 minute mark there's a brief shot of Aloy exploring the buried ruins of Las Vegas which i don't think was explicitly confirmed before

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Question for after the Dying Lands and interlude - Aloy says 'well, next i could go to (marker to advance the plot) now, or I could go back east to Plainsong and see how they're doing after the attack'. I fast travelled back there, and it's suddenly devoid of life; the fields around it are still filled with NPCs, but in the settlement itself there's three merchants and two side-quest givers standing in an otherwise empty town. Aloy has no commentary on it. Is that... meant to be the case? Did I have a cutscene not play or something?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Lakbay posted:

I had the same thing happen but the town came back to life eventually, pretty sure it's a bug.
Thanks, I closed and reopened the game and that fixed it. Was gonna be mad if I lost access to the only Dyer I’d unlocked.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Yeah, there's not even a little fish-wrangling animation, you just have to dive in and swim after them while mashing the square button until a notification pops up that you've acquired 1 Salmon Bone, lol.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Waffleopolis posted:

So a question about a character and theory for the next game (POST GAME SPOILERS)
The ending montage shows the Quen sailing back home but Alva and a couple of others staying behind in San Francisco watching them go. Presumably when she does go back home it'll be with as much *ancient secrets* as she can carry to convince people, and also with Aloy tagging along as backup for when that doesn't work.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Falukorv posted:

Its kinda weird for the Tenakth outfits to come with body tattoos. Like, for the tenakth tattoos are serious deeply personal poo poo where they map out their lives and aloy literally switches between them as an outfit. Could be read as a bit culturally insensitive. Facepaints perhaps more ok as they show some kind of affiliation or role which you kind of earn by sticking your neck out for them.
Yeah there's one side quest where a Tenakth says something like 'it would be blasphemy for an outsider to wear our markings, even in ignorance!' where Aloy can just nod along while wearing a pick-and-mix of body and face paint from their different clans.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
i played on hard with auto-loot off, found it a good challenge and never had problems with getting machine parts for upgrades...

..until i got access to the epic/legendary equipment, which require huge amounts of parts that can only be taken from the highest tier of robots and are very fiddly to get. after the third time in a row that i spent a vast amount of resources to kill a stormbird that didn't drop a 70% part that you need 10 of for a full upgrade, i dropped difficulty to lowest level, activated auto-loot, spent an hour killing apex variants until i had everything i needed to upgrade all my gear, and then went back to my original settings and continued with the story.

i'm usually a masochist with game difficulty, but the end-level upgrade grind is really too much here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
There’s also a nice little character reason to go back to the main map during the dlc, although the game doesn’t tell you about it: (big spoiler for the main game) after every main mission in burning shores, if you go back to the grave outside your base, aloy will talk to her late friend about her experiences in LA and how she’s feeling.