Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

chaosbreather posted:

finding a job? what

explain yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

DaTroof posted:

how so the latter? are you saying you can't find jobs that aren't full-stack js/ts? because i guarantee that's a personal problem and not an industry-wide fact

hes saying he can convince people that typescript is more economical by putting a number on a slide and showing it to them

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

which i mean honestly i completely believe that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

it's really hard to make a business case for using something other than typescript to project owners

the only time this is true is when the project owners are really invested in using typescript to begin with

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

after that edit about project owners, yeah, i think i know what you mean

but i never disagreed that a lot of failures choose their tech stacks poorly

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

rotor posted:

the only time this is true is when the project owners are really invested in using typescript to begin with

oh yeah i basically only see greenfield or major digital transformation projects with project owners who have to use external studios. if there's a scrap of existing code that takes priority over pretty much every argument anyone can make

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

rotor posted:

hes saying he can convince people that typescript is more economical by putting a number on a slide and showing it to them

more than this – we have to win work, right, with competing proposals. typescript has a ton of factors – all those loving words i wrote – that you can just use to tear any other non-typescript proposal apart, it's like a nuke. you can only fight it with other teams doing it faster or better.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

chaosbreather posted:

more than this – we have to win work, right, with competing proposals. typescript has a ton of factors – all those loving words i wrote – that you can just use to tear any other non-typescript proposal apart, it's like a nuke. you can only fight it with other teams doing it faster or better.

this is a weird argument. i guess you mean, if you're making a greenfield app, nothing else but typescript makes sense?

eh, never mind. this conversation is weird. you're weird.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

i feel pretty confident i could do the same thing with any other modern language given the same audience but sure ok

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

rotor posted:

i feel pretty confident i could do the same thing with any other modern language given the same audience but sure ok

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like the fact that program managers for these "digital transformation" projects are easy marks doesnt really matter to anyone here, but i'm happy you're out there doin what you're doin.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

DaTroof posted:

this is a weird argument. i guess you mean, if you're making a greenfield app, nothing else but typescript makes sense?

making a greenfield app AND using lowest-bidder third party contractors to do it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also forgot to post earlier but thanks for the love and support everyone

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you're saying that typescript is actually the best choice. that's distinct from what you've actually shown, which is that it's easy to snow people into thinking it is. a group of propositions that constitute evidence or a logical and/or probabilistic basis for another proposition is oftentimes called an argument.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

rotor posted:

finally, awesome. please give me one that would convince my boss. i feel like i've tried everything.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

finally, awesome. please give me one that would convince my boss. i feel like i've tried everything.

who would i bill this work to?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

chaosbreather posted:

it sounds like the problem is not what the best technology is, but who your boss is

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Achmed Jones posted:

you're saying that typescript is actually the best choice. that's distinct from what you've actually shown, which is that it's easy to snow people into thinking it is. a group of propositions that constitute evidence or a logical and/or probabilistic basis for another proposition is oftentimes called an argument.

looks like you've only read about a third of the things i wrote if you're there. i sympathise

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

chaosbreather posted:

looks like you've only read about a third of the things i wrote if you're there. i sympathise

have you seen some of the blocks of cheddar cheese you've posted in this thread? i guarantee there's more than one that not a single yosposter has read completely

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
today im thankful because my friends and coworkers simp for poo poo that's actually interesting and sometimes useful like scala or go or r. if i had to hear them talk about how javascript or python were actually good, id probably choose to drown myself in the nearest body of water.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

today im thankful because my friends and coworkers simp for poo poo that's actually interesting and sometimes useful like scala or go or r. if i had to hear them talk about how javascript or python were actually good, id probably choose to drown myself in the nearest body of water.

i'm thankful that my coworkers generally don't bother with these discussions at all and just get poo poo done in whatever tech stack is in front of us

(semi-relevant albeit petty addendum: the stack never involves javascript on the server)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

langs get chosen for a thousand reasons other than what is Objectively The Best, film at 11

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

also lol chaosbreather, forced to use typescript against their will. lmao owned

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
have you considered all the benefits fortran has to offer?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i'm a dapper fortran man

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

also lol chaosbreather, forced to use typescript against their will. lmao owned

foreverially typescripted and loving it

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
True computer hipsters are looking at PHP 8.1 and loving it.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

buttchugging adderall posted:

True computer hipsters are looking at PHP 8.1 and loving it.

wth

https://php.watch/versions/8.1/fibers

this is very not-php :psyduck:

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

true computer hipsters are encoding their problems in the Constrained Quadratic Model and solving them using hybrid quantum annealing

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Oh it's very PHP and it's goooooooooood.

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

is PHP just leaning into being poo poo? now with more fiber?

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Tom Collins posted:

is PHP just leaning into being poo poo? now with more fiber?

Bud PHP8 fixed almost everything left wrong with PHP (where PHP7 did most of the fixing). Then PHP 8.1 introduced more fiber, and PHP9 is slated to fix a ton of the rest of it (but that's a few years out).

The people behind PHP have learned.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
It's me, I'm the computer hipster that likes modern PHP.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

are shell scripts hipster?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Progressive JPEG posted:

only if you use a hipster shell scripting language

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Progressive JPEG posted:

sure,.i guess. i mean they're fine, they do a job. i prefer the more authentic computation you can only achieve by typing out instructions by hand each time.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

is running sh -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/somerandompieceofshit/fart/install.sh)" hipster? i think yes yes

git apologist fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 27, 2022

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Gentle Autist posted:

is running sh -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/somerandompieceofshit/fart/install.sh)" hipster? i think yes yes

most definitely

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

[logo in the modern anodyne corporate style, but of a pig]

Trough is the world's most performant data ingestion system and part of the Piggy platform. Written in Go so you can be sure it's fast and reliable!

Install it with

code:
curl -fsL https://piggy.github.io/trough/slop.sh | sh
Happy oinking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Fortaleza posted:

[logo in the modern anodyne corporate style, but of a pig]

Trough is the world's most performant data ingestion system and part of the Piggy platform. Written in Go so you can be sure it's fast and reliable!

Install it with

code:
curl -fsL https://piggy.github.io/trough/slop.sh | sh
Happy oinking!

Issue Report:

Summary: `trough` command fails to run recursively when using `-r`

Details:
Hey Piggy and Oink team! I love this tool but I noticed an issue where when I try to run `mud -r ./dir/**/*.feed` it seems to just return back with only the first `feed` being pig-processed. Not sure if there's other reports of this, and I can't give logs as the data here is client confidential. Thanks again!

Response:
Closed, won't fix. `-r` does not mean `recursive`, it's for `roll` and is for telling the piggy engine to do a trough rollup.
Also duplicate of Issue #42069 and #219.
In the future, please note that we don't normally respond to issue reports without logs, please give logs, we Piggies want our logs!

- Oink Oink!