Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Gentle Autist posted:

MS briefly had a ‘hey maybe they are good now’ period around the time o365 and windows 10 launched, roughly around that time they also made vscode (a great IDE) and created a language called typescript which is basically javascript with strict type checking. it compiles and deploys to javascript so you can run it in lots of places: it’s very nice to work in

What is the appeal of VSCode over VS? I tried VSCode and got pretty mad at computers about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is it? I remember last time I used it, I basically gave it all of 20 minutes before I realized that I couldn't just see references to methods, and I basically just wrote it off completely when I couldn't F12 to a definition. Besides that, managing a project of any scope seems to be nightmare fuel inspired by Python's worst tendencies. Maybe this has been addressed, but goddamn, I felt a lot like I was in Notepad++ and less like I was in an IDE.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DaTroof posted:

what language? i suspect either the support for it was immature when you tried it or there was an extension you needed to install (or both)

Probably Python. This was a couple years ago at this point.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lady Radia posted:

im a .net dev on linux ama

yikes

e: I mean, I target linux with Core and all that, but you can pry Visual Studio from my cold dead hands

ee: Also, if Visual Studio ever loving becomes an electron piece of poo poo because cross platform, I'ma be super loving pissed.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 23, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

vs 2022 writes your code for you now. its amazing how good the "AI" suggestions are.

This poo poo is actually uncanny. I'm stunned at how much I end up using the suggestion, and I'm stunned at how accurate it is.

I really, really wish it was good at MVVM WPF boilerplate though (it is not). I'm really sick of writing this poo poo

code:
        private String _foo;
        public String Foo
        {
            get { return _foo; }
            set { SetProperty(ref _foo, value); }
        }

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 23, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gentle Autist posted:

i’m not surprised that c# developers can easily be replaced by ai

loving lol if you think any developer is spending the majority of their time solving real problems

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

there honestly isn't a business case for writing server software in anything except javascript/typescript.

loving lul

God forbid you want anything to be performant ever for any reason

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm trying to think how much money you'd have to pay me to write JS ever again. the number is probably north of 500k. i wouldn't do a very good job either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
today im thankful because my friends and coworkers simp for poo poo that's actually interesting and sometimes useful like scala or go or r. if i had to hear them talk about how javascript or python were actually good, id probably choose to drown myself in the nearest body of water.