Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
hipsters write fortran with their portable keypunches in coffee shops and call a pager number to have a courier come get the card deck and run it on a 1401 emulated on a pi and then bring them the greenbar and output deck back to wherever they happen to be 8 hours later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
{one, two, many} are enough integers for anyone

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

im actually unironically considering whiteboarding out some architecture work for the backend behind that pager service to run card decks.

oops i just reinvented JES again. neat.

… how much volume and weight can a bike courier carry?

what if im willing to pay an extra 5% , now how much can one carry?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

11440 chars on 1“ stack of cards

musl is like 60k lines of code , assume 80 char lines is good enough, thats roughly 60k cards ish and 143 cards os an inch so thats 420 inches of cards, 35 feet of cards.

hm.

hmmmmmmmm.

how bout i pay the bike courier an extra 8%……

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

i mean its gonna have to be regional, unless youre really into overnighting 35 feet of cards for real money and waiting 48 hours for job results.

its better than we were getting in the 80s in the same building depending on if the ops hates you or not i guess.

diffs might be easier, but then the ops center has to have storage for your 35 foot long card deck. and youll lose 8 chars per card for seq numbers.

hmm. maybe we need some archival tool.

oops invented tape again. neat.

wait.

paper tape? what densities did we get with paper tape??

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

80 chars in 14” of 1” tape. very slight area savings, but the stock is thinner so you can probably get more chars per cubic foot. would strongly depend on the stocks you were comparing tho.

yeah that might work out better.

ngl - kinda hurts that the pager is gonna necessitate a touch tone phone.

oooh - set up a 6m receiver for cw to accept dispatch requests??

is there any 6m freq available for commercial use still????

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

oh, youre using electronic storage? yeah, i used to use that too.

i use paper tape now, and store data in 7 bit ascii, about 69 characters per foot. ( nice )

you really only grok your data when you see the individual bits, you know?

*picks up wheelbarrow with 2MB of data in it and wheezes and puffs out the *

hey. hey.

hey. can you get the door for me?

yeah. as far open as you can get it, no no stand on the other side and hold it from there, yeah

*out the door*

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MICROFICHE!!

HELL YEAH!

were gonna make this work baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

have you considered all the benefits fortran has to offer?