Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

chaosbreather posted:

there honestly isn't a business case for writing server software in anything except javascript/typescript.

1. if you write reasonably complex things for the web you have to know javascript. even if you use a fancy dan transpilation language like elm or clojurescript or whatever you still gotta know the underlying js or you are in for a world of hurt and you can't use anyone else's poo poo

2. if you want your cool react web app to work properly for crawlers you need to do universal rendering, so the server has to do javascript anyway

3. backends are just a thin, easy layer of glue between your front end, totally managed PaaSes, auth providers and hosted serverless databases/document stores so it's insane to break out another language for that anyway. edge compute is amazing now, essentially a bit of browser that you can trust. and a lot of the time you can eliminate backend code entirely

4. why would you make it so any percentage of your team couldn't work on any part of the project, because:

5. if you can get, effectively, a mid-level full stack engineer for the price (and ubiquity) of a javascript developer you would be a raving madman not to

i hate it, really, i like being a polyglot and i keep going at work 'hey wow elixir is really cool and performant' and 'rust sure has a lot of people who are in to it hey' and they're like ahahah yeah get back to typescripting. and they're right

Ah, the Joker to shaggar’s .batman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

30.5 Days posted:

Hipsters are doing this now op

https://charm.sh/

not gonna lie this looks pretty cool, thanks

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020