Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it can’t still be ruby, can it? I’ve been out of the loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

nah, ruby is dead. rust was hipster for a while but it seems to be fading. kotlin still alive?

kotlin is just android’s swift I think

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

as OP mentioned, using js to write servers is a strategy to "save money" by having your entry-level javascript-only developers try their hand at more expensive server dev using a runtime and ecosystem that's designed for web browsers

so its pretty much mutually exclusive with employers that would rather save money by paying 500k for experienced devs

the joke is that fronted development is just as demanding as backend development if not more so

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nodejs isn't fundamentally bad, but npm is and kind of sours the whole ecosystem

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

this is kinda where im at. i have issues with a some of nodejs generally but the absolute insanity of single-line dependencies is completely loving nuts.

that kind of rot could theoretically exist in any package system, but on node it's everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fortaleza posted:

[logo in the modern anodyne corporate style, but of a pig]

Trough is the world's most performant data ingestion system and part of the Piggy platform. Written in Go so you can be sure it's fast and reliable!

Install it with

code:
curl -fsL https://piggy.github.io/trough/slop.sh | sh
Happy oinking!

was expecting pig but got goat instead