Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

veni veni veni posted:

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to add a section for straight to streaming movies instead of just listing TV in the OP considering this is a CD thread. Netflix alone is a treasure trove of great stuff, crap you would have been mad to pay for in theaters but enjoyed for free, and actual crap movies that are exclusive to Netflix.

By all means, recommend some DTS movies! I'm not against it.

Nihonniboku posted:

Fox and ABC are owned by Disney.

Fox Corporation owns Fox. That's why Fox News hasn't changed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

I think the issue is that Michael Bluth still owes them a ton of money to be laundered, and he's still the best at his job, so that's why he's still alive?

Yeah, I think the background idea is that he's not exactly replaceable and he's generally been successful at snowing them on how well the plan's going. Also, if they kill him they've got a bunch of money spread out all over the Caribbean and they'll be hiring 100 Saul Goodmen to buy nail salons across the country which sounds like it'd suck.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Edward Mass posted:

Fox Corporation owns Fox. That's why Fox News hasn't changed!

Ah, okay. I just looked it up, and it's a little complicated. Disney bought the 20th Century Fox film and television studios, cable channels like FX, Fox Network Group (which oversees international tv properties bought by 20th Century Fox), and Fox's 30% stake in Hulu. Fox Broadcasting, Fox Television Networks, Fox News, and Fox Sports are owned by the Fox Corporation. I thought that only Fox News and Fox Sports were spun off from the merger, I thought Disney now owned the syndicated Fox channels as well.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

they'll be hiring 100 Saul Goodmen to buy nail salons across the country

This is the spinoff I crave

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Only halfway through station 11, but yea it’s an incredible show. It’s honestly refreshing to see a mostly positive post apocalypse, and poo poo like having the rich famous woman come to terms with her loss of status, instead of wringing reheated drama out of it feels like something you don’t see often.

If any of this changes in the next few episodes,
I’m sure it’ll be done well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Sex and the City spinoff is the most cringe TV show I’ve ever watched.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought search party season 4 was a little too ridiculous, but after watching half of season 5 I think the problem was that it wasn’t ridiculous enough.

Season 4 was still good though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

By all means, recommend some DTS movies! I'm not against it.

I’ll try and make a little list tomorrow

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I’m getting into hacks. It’s a show about comedians and it’s funny so that’s enough to keep me on, plus there aren’t enough shows set in Vegas.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I always roll my eyes when I hear this. Adjusted for inflation, cable was priced twice as high as being subscribed to Netflix, Disney+ Bundle, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime at once, and the streaming services have no ads. Even DirectTV's most basic plan was more expensive than being subscribed to all major streaming services.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 21, 2022

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You also can just not subscribe to services if you don't want them, and it's not a battle to cancel the subscription.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Roth posted:

You also can just not subscribe to services if you don't want them, and it's not a battle to cancel the subscription.

Seriously, I'm all down with "things used to be better back in the day!", but television is absolutely not one of them.

I would never want to go back to the days of spending almost $100 a month in today's money, and end up only watching four or five channels for the month.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Roth posted:

You can also just ask friends and family for their passwords and watch poo poo for free.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My deadbeat relatives will have to pry my netflix password from my cold dead hands.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If we weren't in a pandemic, we'd have watercoolers to meet around. The streaming era has gotten rid of the concept of a 'watercooler show' where we'd all discus the TV shows or movies we saw last night. Instead, we're now in the age of 'Spoiler Alerts', which is more frustrating. As soon as the revealed who shot J.R., it was no longer a spoiler!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What if I taped it and can’t watch until tomorrow.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

If we weren't in a pandemic, we'd have watercoolers to meet around. The streaming era has gotten rid of the concept of a 'watercooler show' where we'd all discus the TV shows or movies we saw last night. Instead, we're now in the age of 'Spoiler Alerts', which is more frustrating. As soon as the revealed who shot J.R., it was no longer a spoiler!

:fart:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone really enjoy watercooler TV chat that much? Seriously? I'd rather just do the weather it's over in 3 seconds and I don't have to listen to what some dumbass at work thinks about game of thrones for 10 minutes. gently caress water cooler chat.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

veni veni veni posted:

Does anyone really enjoy watercooler TV chat that much? Seriously? I'd rather just do the weather it's over in 3 seconds and I don't have to listen to what some dumbass at work thinks about game of thrones for 10 minutes. gently caress water cooler chat.

factual statement. anyone using this line of thinking to argue that weekly is superior lacks self control and should look within themselves for the answer (binge 4 life)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

water cool deez

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The internet as a whole is what ruined all of that anyway, and while I'm completely in favor of permanently destroying the internet and banning all computers of any kind I don't see that happening.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 21, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

punk rebel ecks posted:

Seriously, I'm all down with "things used to be better back in the day!", but television is absolutely not one of them.

I would never want to go back to the days of spending almost $100 a month in today's money, and end up only watching four or five channels for the month.

He's not making an earnest "back in my day" remark. He's just making a joke how they're all splintering off so much that, to get all the shows you want to watch you'll eventually have to subscribe to them all... So at that point it's just like cable.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Airline food... what.. is.. the deal???

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

That Works posted:

Airline food... what.. is.. the deal???

Heh, I haven't even gotten meal service on my last few international flights. They expect you to buy something at the airport to carry onboard, or buy a stale sandwich on the plane.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

veni veni veni posted:

Archive 81 isn't perfect but it feels very close to being great so far (5 episodes in). It does so much right that the clunkier moments feel a little more glaring but I still really like it.

I just hope this season is a one and done thing and it's not some sort of cliffhanger. I'm not familiar with the podcast and haven't really read anything on the show so I have no idea tbh.

Its not, but if they somehow get the budget to do some of season 2 podcast stuff, it'd very much be worth the wait. Although it seems to be going in a separate direction.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I always roll my eyes when I hear this. Adjusted for inflation, cable was priced twice as high as being subscribed to Netflix, Disney+ Bundle, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime at once, and the streaming services have no ads. Even DirectTV's most basic plan was more expensive than being subscribed to all major streaming services.

Also the reason streaming services suck right now is because of instead focusing on a certain demographic of people, they are always aiming to be for everybody. If streaming services were more like traditional tv channels and focused on a niche of content, they would be a lot better. Of course there has been some streaming services that were too focused like the stargate or DC comics streaming service. Shudder gets the balance right.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 21, 2022

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Edward Mass posted:

We have social media. The watercooler of the future, today.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah i mean anything beyond basic cable always costed like $60 minimum and you were at the mercy of scheduled programming

like paying $40 a month to a few streaming services is an insanely good deal and your dumb if u think otherwise

its like saying "man spotify sucks"

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm just jealous of those of you that don't care about sports at all. I've got to buy all the same streaming services, plus another $65/month or more on top of that for YouTubeTV or one of the other live tv packages just so I can watch my ball games. Cable would be cheaper at this point, but gently caress cable.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also the reason streaming services suck right now is because of instead focusing on a certain demographic of people, they are always aiming to be for everybody. If streaming services were more like traditional tv channels and focused on a niche of content, they would be a lot better. Of course there has been some streaming services that were too focused like the stargate or DC comics streaming service. Shudder gets the balance right.

Netflix alone has more niche content then all of cable combined.

The amount of indie films/series, western adult animation, POC content, horror films, weird sketch shows, foreign films/series, etc. dwarfs the offerings of all the niche channels you’d find on DirecTV or Time Warner Cable combined. And that’s just one service. Add in Hulu or HBO Max and it becomes even more painfully obvious.

To add to it, the basic premise is wrong. Specified niche streaming sites haven’t gone anywhere, if anything they’ve gotten stronger. Crunchyroll is a dream come true for 16 year old Suncoast browsing me. Shudder offers great horror content. Criterion has a great classic selection. And each service is cheap to subscribe to.

Steaming is a dream world compared to the days of old.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah like what... ifanything streaming lets shows get even more weird. there is no way that regular cable would have had Search Party literally become a science fiction show with Jeff Goldblum as an actual wizard

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

yeah like what... ifanything streaming lets shows get even more weird. there is no way that regular cable would have had Search Party literally become a science fiction show with Jeff Goldblum as an actual wizard

If Search Party was on Network TV, it would just them searching for a new missing person every episode.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

I was not vibing at all with that show after the first episode, but now I feel like I might have to revisit it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I’ve gotten around to watching “VEEP” and it makes me appreciate what the Trump Era has done to politics.

The constant worrying of every minor “scandal” is just eyerolling.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just finished season 2 of Cheer on Netflix. I'm sure it's not exactly something on the radar of most people in this crowd, but it had a huge cultural moment at the start of 2020 right before lockdown. It was a fascinating look in the world of competitive collegiate cheerleading, and you got to know some of these teammates with great personalities, and you really wanted to root for them.

So they started filming season 2, right before COVID. So between that, a fan favorite member of the cheer team from season 1 getting arrested for soliciting minors, and the fact that this is a community college so people are only there for 2 years, by the time filming picked up, almost everyone we knew from season 1 was gone. They split the season between them, and their rival community college down the road in the middle of nowhere Texas, so we couldn't spend enough time on both teams to really get to know any of the new people.

I wouldn't really recommend watching it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got the last two episodes to go on Cheer, but that's the verdict I'd give it too. Would have been better as a single 60-90min followup focused on the Jerry sex predator stuff and everything surrounding that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
just watch Last Chance U instead

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

I was not vibing at all with that show after the first episode, but now I feel like I might have to revisit it.

It just gets more and more bonkers as time goes on, with the last season being completely off the rails. One thing you might be easily misconstrue early on is that it's supposed to be like a Girls 2.0 where all of the characters are your besties, but unlike Girls the show itself is very aware that all of the characters are narcissistic sociopaths. If I was going to compare it to anything I'd say it's sort of like Always Sunny only moodier, episodic and bit more dramatic.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Tokelau All Star posted:

Over the last few months my partner and I watched the entirety of Baywatch on Hulu. It's a fascinating show. Season 1 is almost a completely different show from what it would become. My favorite episode is probably when three of the lifeguards f off to Mexico to reenact the plot of Three Amigos. Almost all of the characters are terrible people, with the exception of Newmie and Jason Momoa, who was about a billion times more charismatic than everyone else.

One of the greatest TV show intros of all time. The early seasons, anyway.

Some friends and I watched a ton of episodes on the Baywatch channel of Pluto TV. Bizarre show for sure. Multiple music montages every episode, retelling the Phantom of the Opera story, etc.

Have you watched the Baywatch Nights spin-off? Can probably still be found on YouTube.

Definitely another oddity, especially the second season. Hasselhoff, Baywatch’s police liaison, and Angie Harmon run a detective agency. The second season has them handling paranormal cases since X-Files was popular at the time.

https://youtu.be/jl4NLQrJRxE

https://youtu.be/W6JxMx1IKIQ

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

It just gets more and more bonkers as time goes on, with the last season being completely off the rails. One thing you might be easily misconstrue early on is that it's supposed to be like a Girls 2.0 where all of the characters are your besties, but unlike Girls the show itself is very aware that all of the characters are narcissistic sociopaths. If I was going to compare it to anything I'd say it's sort of like Always Sunny only moodier, episodic and bit more dramatic.

This is actually selling me on the show after being put off by the painfully mediocre first episode.

I do doubt that they are as depraved and monstrous as the gang from Sunny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

punk rebel ecks posted:

I do doubt that they are as depraved and monstrous as the gang from Sunny though.

oh u have no idea lmao