Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

precision posted:

oh u have no idea lmao

Do they also do stuff like have their children dig up their mother’s graves, sleep with their nieces, do mindfucks of hiring hundreds of actors to have a suicidal friend think they’ve achieved stardom just to bring them down in the end, have plans to buy a boat so they can trap people to essentially force rape them in open seas, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Do they also do stuff like have their children dig up their mother’s graves, sleep with their nieces, do mindfucks of hiring hundreds of actors to have a suicidal friend think they’ve achieved stardom just to bring them down in the end, have plans to buy a boat so they can trap people to essentially force rape them in open seas, etc?

No, but they actually murder people and later create a cult that results in a zombie apocalypse destroying 99% of humans on Earth

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yeah, Search Party is a trip.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

No, but they stuff

That spoiler might be a little heavy even with tags. If you haven’t watched the show don’t read this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Actually I just thought of a better comparison than always sunny for search party that was right in front of my face. It’s co written and co created by Michael Showalter, so if you are familiar with Wet Hot American Summer or the humor of The State, just imagine that, only about self absorbed Brooklyn hipsters.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Edward Mass posted:

Yeah, Search Party is a trip.

It went in a very stupid direction.

Ozark s4 is out though. Questions may be answered.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Here's the deal with Search Party: The characters are AWFUL people, generally parodies of (younger) millennials. They are selfish as gently caress to an absurd degree, in specific ways depending on the character, each generally obsessed with their own personal journey at the expense of everyone else's. Sometimes you don't really realize how they are doing that until later, but the absurdity of their personalities is what drives the show. If that concept sounds like it has the potential to be funny at all, you owe it to yourself to at least attempt a few episodes of the first season looking at it through that lens. If you liked any of those episodes, you should really try to finish S1.

After the first season, you'll know if you want to keep watching. Everyone I know did.

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is actually selling me on the show after being put off by the painfully mediocre first episode.

I do doubt that they are as depraved and monstrous as the gang from Sunny though.

...man.

precision posted:

oh u have no idea lmao

It just GOES.

edit:

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It went in a very stupid direction.
this is absolutely 100% true and everyone will agree. When it happens, and whether or not they care, is varible.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 22, 2022

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Glottis posted:

Here's the deal with Search Party: The characters are AWFUL people, generally parodies of (younger) millennials. They are selfish as gently caress to an absurd degree, in specific ways depending on the character, each generally obsessed with their own personal journey at the expense of everyone else's.

I got 3 episodes into Search Party and had to bounce. It's great and well made but I just found the characters too awful. And I've enjoyed series featuring awful people before (hello IASIP) but Search Party is something else. Maybe it's because they're so realistically awful and not comically so, it lands harder.

All this talk of S5 is making me want to reattempt watching it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I really didn't care much for Search Party Season 4. Honestly, it's been a bit of a decline since Season 2 for me. But I'm starting Season 5 now and I'm excited to see where it's going to go!

Edit: It helps somewhat that watching John Reynolds in this never fails to make me think he'd be a great Egon if, God forbid, Ghostbusters got rebooted again.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 22, 2022

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

nonathlon posted:

I got 3 episodes into Search Party and had to bounce. It's great and well made but I just found the characters too awful. And I've enjoyed series featuring awful people before (hello IASIP) but Search Party is something else. Maybe it's because they're so realistically awful and not comically so, it lands harder.

All this talk of S5 is making me want to reattempt watching it.

This was and is my experience too.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Update on my scratched lenses: I emailed VRWave and asked what method for possible repair they recommend and they’re just flat out sending me a replacement lens, which kicks rear end! So it’s worth try before trying Polywatch.

Also, not sure if it was mentioned, but Synth Riders is free on Steam for the weekend for anyone (like me) who has never tried it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Just missed the VR thread buddy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The new season of Ozark is just "part 1" right?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I really didn't care much for Search Party Season 4. Honestly, it's been a bit of a decline since Season 2 for me. But I'm starting Season 5 now and I'm excited to see where it's going to go!

Edit: It helps somewhat that watching John Reynolds in this never fails to make me think he'd be a great Egon if, God forbid, Ghostbusters got rebooted again.

Season 4 was probably the weakest. 5 is good as long as you are on board with how ridiculous it is.

I think the best thing about season 5 is that even though it's really en vogue to poo poo on tech billionaires, modern society, influencers they do it in a way that feels both sort of relatable and like some straight up Willy Wonka poo poo at the same time.

Also lol yeah John Reynolds would be a great Egon.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'd really enjoyed Steven Universe, but never followed Steven Universe Future because I guess I felt that is was just going to be "Steven Universe: the College Years" or something. Halfway through the series now on HBO MAX, and it's pretty amazing how they've built off the original show.

It's set a few years after the original series (Steven's now 16), and centers on Steven's difficult finding a place for himself with the world saved and his friends moving into their own individual lives. It covers some pretty advanced territory with a lot of emotional nuance, but be warned that there is not one ounce of narrative subtlety (which makes sense considering the primary audience). I will say that the ability to spoon-feed these difficult concepts in a way that still feels emotionally true is a trick that I feel should not be underestimated.

I think it makes sense as a separate series, rather than as a sixth season on the original show -- it feels like SUF needed some clear distance to fully unpack and address the implications of everything the original series did and was about.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Modern Leper posted:

I'd really enjoyed Steven Universe, but never followed Steven Universe Future because I guess I felt that is was just going to be "Steven Universe: the College Years" or something. Halfway through the series now on HBO MAX, and it's pretty amazing how they've built off the original show.

It's set a few years after the original series (Steven's now 16), and centers on Steven's difficult finding a place for himself with the world saved and his friends moving into their own individual lives. It covers some pretty advanced territory with a lot of emotional nuance, but be warned that there is not one ounce of narrative subtlety (which makes sense considering the primary audience). I will say that the ability to spoon-feed these difficult concepts in a way that still feels emotionally true is a trick that I feel should not be underestimated.

I think it makes sense as a separate series, rather than as a sixth season on the original show -- it feels like SUF needed some clear distance to fully unpack and address the implications of everything the original series did and was about.
Yeah, it's a great epilogue but I wished it had some top-tier songs in it and it didn't really have them.
Thankfully, if I want to enjoy the best of Steven Universe, I'll just watch the movie again. That movie has possibly my favorite SU songs all in a row and is super easy to rewatch.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Did an AppleTV trial for The Tragedy of Macbeth and goddamn is it lacking. The film too sure, but I mean the streaming service. They really really ain't got poo poo. Any recommendations for their tv series? I ain't watching "Ted Lasso" whatever tf.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I mean, Apple TV has generally been regarded as having a solid concentration of quality series. I've heard good things about For All Mankind, Servant's supposed to entertaining and even Morning Show and See have gotten decent reviews for being fun for "wtf" watching.

Why are you not interested in Ted Lasso? If the sincerity turns you off, maybe For All Mankind isn't for you, but it would help to know what you're interested in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Morning Show was decent but I can see how it's not for everyone

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i cant stand ted lasso but for all mankind is incredible imo

also just finished station 11, really loving good. I dont remember the book that well but i feel like there's a lot in the series that isnt in the book but it worked

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
On Apple TV+...........Earth at Night and Tiny World are cool animal shows with Tom Hiddleston and Paul Rudd.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

FishBowlRobot posted:

One of the greatest TV show intros of all time. The early seasons, anyway.

Some friends and I watched a ton of episodes on the Baywatch channel of Pluto TV. Bizarre show for sure. Multiple music montages every episode, retelling the Phantom of the Opera story, etc.

Have you watched the Baywatch Nights spin-off? Can probably still be found on YouTube.

Definitely another oddity, especially the second season. Hasselhoff, Baywatch’s police liaison, and Angie Harmon run a detective agency. The second season has them handling paranormal cases since X-Files was popular at the time.

https://youtu.be/jl4NLQrJRxE

https://youtu.be/W6JxMx1IKIQ

The Baywatch theme is the best part of the show. The piano solo is so sick.

I tried watching some Baywatch Nights on Youtube but I only made it a couple episodes. I would totally watch a remastered version though. It was real strange when it would bleed over to regular Baywatch, like Mitch would show up smelling like garlic and vaguely allude to having been up all night hunting vampires.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Did an AppleTV trial for The Tragedy of Macbeth and goddamn is it lacking. The film too sure, but I mean the streaming service. They really really ain't got poo poo. Any recommendations for their tv series? I ain't watching "Ted Lasso" whatever tf.

"Dr. Brain" is good.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
It really surprises me that Station Eleven is not getting more of a reaction. I see how people can not enjoy parts of it, but it is so self contained and only 10 episodes to tell a great story -- it's not that big a commitment.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

It really surprises me that Station Eleven is not getting more of a reaction. I see how people can not enjoy parts of it, but it is so self contained and only 10 episodes to tell a great story -- it's not that big a commitment.

Apocalypse fatigue. We've just had so much of it over the last 12 years or so (mostly thanks to The Waking Dead), it took several episodes for Station Eleven to really differentiate itself. By the end I was absolutely enthralled, but the first few episodes were a bit of a slog to get through. I can see how a lot of people would just be turned off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I love apocalypse stuff but there’s just so much of it lately it’s a bit of a hard sell. I only started it because like 5 people randomly said it was fantastic. Only watched the first ep so far but it was great.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I happened to read the book (which I loved) so I knew it wasn't typical apocalypse fare... But there's no marketing to really let people know that.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I liked that show but the evil kid "prophet" was dumb. Why was the creepy little psychopath so angry again? WAAAAAH.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 23, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Netflix is constantly telling me to rate things and I hate it.

I don't know if any of you remember, but Netflix used to have a star system. I rated everything I watched, starting when I got disc Netflix back in 2007. One day they just chucked the whole thing in the trash. No warning. Years of ratings, gone. I will never forget that, Netflix. I will never rate anything on your platform again.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I watched the first episode of Station Eleven and immediately thought that I still wasn't over the poo poo show of the current pandemic enough to enjoy a story about another one. But I stuck with it, and it does end up not really being about the pandemic. It's touching, it's surreal at times, and it's a really satisfying web of characters. I recommend it even though it's not a great time for it.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Tokelau All Star posted:

The Baywatch theme is the best part of the show. The piano solo is so sick.

Hell yeah. It gets me amped every time. Then the last few seconds with just the drums and the Baywatch transparent text moving further out. gently caress it, might as well post it.

https://youtu.be/BrHfGMigwnw

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I never really thought about it but that guy really is going apeshit on that piano

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it normal for lifeguards to have their own lifeguard branded helicopters and large boats? I always figured that was more coast guard vs Pamela Anderson territory.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

veni veni veni posted:

I never really thought about it but that guy really is going apeshit on that piano

I got so into it I searched for videos of people playing it live and this guy delivered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYfcSlCvU5U

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Netflix is constantly telling me to rate things and I hate it.

I don't know if any of you remember, but Netflix used to have a star system. I rated everything I watched, starting when I got disc Netflix back in 2007. One day they just chucked the whole thing in the trash. No warning. Years of ratings, gone. I will never forget that, Netflix. I will never rate anything on your platform again.

I was a call center agent when this happened, and it did, uh, not get a positive response from customers at large when it was implemented, fwiw

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm going to have to give Station 11 another chance it seems. I watched the first episode randomly with my family over the holidays and we were all confused by a lot of the choices the characters were making with seemingly no context for why they were making those decisions, so I bounced off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Inspector Hound posted:

I was a call center agent when this happened, and it did, uh, not get a positive response from customers at large when it was implemented, fwiw

netflix is just confronting us with the hard truth: "epic" and "garbage" are the only categories of thought that most people really have

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There was talk that Station Eleven was “uplifting” because it showed art surviving in a post-pandemic future but it was still overall pretty grim. Even after everyone gets killed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

There's a pro shot recording of the musical Come From Away on there that I can't praise enough. It tells the story of a small community who took in thousands of waylaid travelers after US airspace was closed on 9/11. It's pretty minimalist - small cast, sets that are mostly a bunch of chairs and tables - but the stories they find there are amazing. I'm a cynical bastard but it makes my cold dead heart swell every time. Maybe my favorite musical.

Speaking of musicals, Galavant got added (re-added?) to Hulu. It's a fantasy musical comedy written by Dan Fogelman (Tangled), with music and lyrics by Alan Menken (almost every Disney Renaissance movie) and Glenn Slater (whose resume isn't quite as sparkling, but he worked on School of Rock, among others). It's simple, absurd, lighthearted fun.

The opening number:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWnDwM0RSX4