Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Wolfsheim posted:

Is Crawl the one where Barry Pepper gets his arm fully bitten off but treats it like its mostly a minor inconvenience, like if you had a slight muscle cramp or something

Yes, but by that point in the film I read his reaction more as "things are so hosed right now this hardly makes any difference".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Wolfsheim posted:

Is Crawl the one where Barry Pepper gets his arm fully bitten off but treats it like its mostly a minor inconvenience, like if you had a slight muscle cramp or something

Hell yeah it is, in brackish flood water too

God I love a creature feature

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 24, 2024

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Shageletic posted:

That's dudes eating each other and not helping each other thru emotional crisis at all

Dudes are animals and Robert Carlyle is doing his best to Guy Pearce through his ptsd.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

I haven't even heard of this one. What's it about,

Crawl is a lady who goes to check on her loser dad during a hurricane and whuh oh they get trapped in a basement with evil alligators. It's very good

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I liked Komodo as a kid. I have no idea if it holds up, I rented it on VHS because it looked kind of like Anaconda (which i loved and the first time i heard the word "gently caress" in a movie) and haven't seen it since I was like nine

I think Komodo came out when the idea was monitor lizards kind of gently caress you up with infection and then they can all smell your dying body from miles away, which is a very cool thing that isn't true

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 24, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Oh! Deep Blue Sea

Thomas Jane, genuis sharks, you killed my bird, very good practical effects that describe that transition because a lot of stuff is CGI too and it's that era where the switch was happening and the difference is interesting in situ

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 24, 2024

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

david_a posted:

Roar is an utterly insane film with an absurd amount of untrained big cats on screen made by a real-life lunatic. It’s supposed to be a lighthearted comedy. 70 members of the cast and crew were injured, some severely. Despite this, the movie is somehow fairly boring

RLM reviewed it and the movie looks as crazy as you'd think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaSkO4TosYo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There's sweetness in parks and rec but the show is on a whole very unhinged. It's got a good fun streak of darkness through and I love it. Everything about Jerry still cracks me up.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

RLM reviewed it and the movie looks as crazy as you'd think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaSkO4TosYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_nOUrQNF_c

So loving reckless

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The Drafthouse films trailer is an all time classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cny_D50Rr44

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Roar is one of those movies that's worth seeing because it captures something that has never been recorded before and hopefully never will again. Just the sheer spectacle of a bunch of big cats wandering around a house and everyone in the cast trying very hard not to die.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is Los Espookys as fuckin obnoxious as Problemista cuz I'm trying to not throw the baby out with the bathwater but former SNL writer should've been a major red flag

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Road House was decent enough fun I guess, but there were zero lines of "pain don't hurt", zero standing sex scenes, and zero throat rips so I don't really see the point. I do love Jessica Williams though, so it has that going for it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Enos Cabell posted:

Road House was decent enough fun I guess, but there were zero lines of "pain don't hurt", zero standing sex scenes, and zero throat rips so I don't really see the point. I do love Jessica Williams though, so it has that going for it.

Yeah I enjoyed it for the most part, though everything about the boat climax was god awful. They got the general feel of the bar down pretty well, but yeah...the fact that it didn't have Connor getting his throat ripped out was a baffling decision. Of course the post credits somewhat explained it no one can ever die, gotta have sequel bait!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Is Los Espookys as fuckin obnoxious as Problemista cuz I'm trying to not throw the baby out with the bathwater but former SNL writer should've been a major red flag

I haven't watched problemista but los espookys is great

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Punkin Spunkin posted:

No. It's great. That guy's solo work is beyond cringe but he's fairly restrained in the show.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

why is problemista cringe

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Huh, my wife and I love Parks and Rec. Different strokes, and all.

I'm about 40 minutes into the new Road House and while it's no original, it's got its charms. I know they did a new technique with fight scenes but it also makes said fight scenes look a little weird to me. Also good to see Mikey from Justified again!

Has anyone watched Marlowe with Liam Neeson? Is it fun?

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 24, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

why is problemista cringe
I could go on a long rant about how annoying I found its aesthetic, sense of humor, style, it's another one of these tedious NPR rear end magically real post-Kaufman/Jonze style riffs (not dissing them exactly, just the many influenced and imitating works) down to its score and themes (serve Amy Klobuchar into eternity). I don't know if I'm labeling that right but like, I'm getting tired of how samey these films are getting even if they're often supposed to be high concept.
It has some decent things to say about overdraft fees and the cruel bureaucracy involved in getting citizenship but I found it incredibly incredibly grating.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 24, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
God's Time >> Problemista imvho

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

10 Beers posted:

Also good to see Mikey from Justified again!

Oh word?

Glad hes getting work

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Road house was sick. It also could have easily worked as a season of reacher lol

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Road house was sick. It also could have easily worked as a season of reacher lol

Was just about to post about this. It's been ages since I saw the original so I can't really tell how it compares, but taken on its own the new one was a good fun dumb time. But then again I just find Gyllenhall endlessly charming in everything he does, so I might be biased :allears:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Perestroika posted:

Was just about to post about this. It's been ages since I saw the original so I can't really tell how it compares, but taken on its own the new one was a good fun dumb time. But then again I just find Gyllenhall endlessly charming in everything he does, so I might be biased :allears:

This. It's this.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Conor McGregor’s performance was distractingly bad, same with the CGI, but overall I enjoyed Road House as a forgettable action movie

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think the director told Conor to do his best Taz impression and he did a pretty good job from that perspective

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Enos Cabell posted:

No throat rip? Seriously what is the point???

I just watched anatomy of a fall. Well made and acted but did not need to be that long.

Do French courts really let the prosecutor throw in personal jabs in between questioning because that was pretty funny.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

He does kill a bad guy with a tracheal punch

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I had trouble enjoying Road House because of distracting CGI for almost everything that happens outside of just walking and talking around normal locations in Florida. Car crash of any scale? Obvious CGI. Post Malone punching someone? Obvious CGI. If you aren't sensitive to that, then good! There's a portion where they were walking around in a semi-destroyed structure and I was surprised it looked like they built an actual set.

Also Conor McGregor - I don't watch UFC stuff so I was willing to run with "this is just a strange man" but it really felt like "this is a bad actor, and an extended cameo". If you are a fan of his or even more aware than I am, I could see it being very enjoyable and/or funny.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

No throat rip? Seriously what is the point???

I just watched anatomy of a fall. Well made and acted but did not need to be that long.

Do French courts really let the prosecutor throw in personal jabs in between questioning because that was pretty funny.

Also just watched it and also thought it felt a little long, but it was really well done and really it's just my own attention span to blame. Felt like a really interesting exploration of how people see their own lives vs how our lives look when examined by a court. Minor spoiler: I was expecting the dog to be much more central to the plot (he's still important, of course) given all the Oscar stuff

Glottis fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 25, 2024

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

A MIRACLE posted:

misread this as archer and then became briefly intrigued before immediately losing interest again

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023

10 Beers posted:

Has anyone watched Marlowe with Liam Neeson? Is it fun?

I've used Marlowe in Cine2Nerdle as my first Neeson link probably a hundred times at this point and nobody has ever linked anything but another Neeson movie in response. Based upon this evidence I am forced to conclude that nobody has ever watched Marlowe. Also, maybe like three people have seen The Marksman.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

veni veni veni posted:

Road house is really stupid and a lot of fun

It's a big dumb movie that knows it's big and dumb, lots of fun. Then it takes a big step into just dumb when Conor McGregor shows up. For gently caress sakes guys, cast an actor. Dude ruins every scene he's in.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Y'all have some real opinions on P&R. Mine is that it was a great show, especially for its context. You have to remember that the show aired immediately after The Office, and while The Office grew darker and more jaded and just plain ole mean towards the end, P&R contrasted by drifting in the opposite direction--becoming warm and friendly and uplifting as a sort of antidote.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"becoming warm and friendly and uplifting" is another person's "shmaltzy sentimentality that trades comedy for comfort."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pioneer42 posted:

Y'all have some real opinions on P&R. Mine is that it was a great show, especially for its context. You have to remember that the show aired immediately after The Office, and while The Office grew darker and more jaded and just plain ole mean towards the end, P&R contrasted by drifting in the opposite direction--becoming warm and friendly and uplifting as a sort of antidote.

It's me, the guy that likes Parks and Rec infinitely more than the Office. I've rewatched P&R twice and have no interest in watching the Office again.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pioneer42 posted:

Please clap.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Parks and Rec started really strong but it jumped the shark even faster than the office. Both shows became parodies of themselves after a point.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So cool!

Bring it in guys, where's Lin Manuel Miranda?!?!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Everybody in that pic looks like they were photoshopped in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To be fair to the show, the whole joke was that it was that Leslie was obsessed with Joe Biden, and who the hell would be that into Joe Biden. It hit differently when he was the VP that people often forgot existed.

it was basically the same gag the Onion was doing where Biden was secretly the cool uncle or whatever.