Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah the joe Biden stuff is way funnier now than it was then. Leslie is a loving freak and almost destroys everything around her with her insanity but she has some self awareness so the people around her bring it down.

The show is also insanely mean about the townspeople in the best way. They’re all incredibly stupid, equally insane people. The whole town is an infested poo poo hole and everyone is drinking the flavoraid about how nice it is.

Also the office extended cuts on peacock are amazing because they add so many more horrific layers to the characters and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
office uk only, bad vibes all the time

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
UK Office is superior, though I think Extras (the show Mechant and Gervais made next) is the stronger show.

CelticPredator posted:

The show is also insanely mean about the townspeople in the best way. They’re all incredibly stupid, equally insane people. The whole town is an infested poo poo hole and everyone is drinking the flavoraid about how nice it is.

I love the gag where it turns out they're all insane because the town water supply is 60% corn syrup runoff from an enormous sugar factory.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah the joe Biden stuff is way funnier now than it was then. Leslie is a loving freak and almost destroys everything around her with her insanity but she has some self awareness so the people around her bring it down.

The biden stuff is darkly funny now because leslie would 100% be writing 'israel has a right to defend itself' articles for the Atlantic and ben would be trying to shove through a bipartisan weapons deal for the IDF

The office definitely went off the rails but even during it's big "everyone lives happily ever after" finale they still made sure we all knew that like, ryan was still a huge piece of poo poo

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's such a Michael Schur thing that he wrote a whole show about how every person on Earth is actually inherently good and just wants to be friends with everybody else on Earth. Even the literal embodiments of evil who take sadistic joy in mutilating and dismembering people are redeemed by the end of the series. That's just the guy's philosophy.

i haven't seen much parks and rec but i'm having some trouble imagining who you could be referring to

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

i haven't seen much parks and rec but i'm having some trouble imagining who you could be referring to

You must have missed the "Dark Jerry" arc

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Enos Cabell posted:

You must have missed the "Dark Jerry" arc

This is why AI will never win. "Jerry from Parks and Recreation as a sith lord". Apparently not only is Ron Swanson Jerry, but Gale from Breaking Bad as well.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Medullah posted:

This is why AI will never win. "Jerry from Parks and Recreation as a sith lord". Apparently not only is Ron Swanson Jerry, but Gale from Breaking Bad as well.

Hah, lower left looks like the dad from Mary Poppins.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

DeimosRising posted:

the good place

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Parks & Rec had the "Get on Your Feet" ice rink scene, and for that alone I will always be thankful for its existence.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I don't really like Schur but season 1 and 2 of Good Place were pretty good overall. the rest stunk pretty bad but I had a fun time at first.

and honestly s2 was a fine ambiguous ending if you stop there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"becoming warm and friendly and uplifting" is another person's "shmaltzy sentimentality that trades comedy for comfort."

This is truth

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
A 4K digital copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey is currently FREE on Amazon right now. (I can't speak for the quality of the transfer or anything as I have not seen it yet, I just picked it up as soon as I saw it and then posted.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

tetrapyloctomy posted:

A 4K digital copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey is currently FREE on Amazon right now. (I can't speak for the quality of the transfer or anything as I have not seen it yet, I just picked it up as soon as I saw it and then posted.)

It is not free

mystes
May 31, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

It is not free
Well it's not now

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Maybe they gave away just over 2000 copies for free.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When I clicked the link earlier it showed up as free until I logged into amazon and then it wasn't.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Watching Road House made me wonder why is CGI so loving bad these days. The fight scenes look so terrible when they transition to CGI.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was able to claim the 2001 UHD but only within MOMENTS of it being posted.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Acinonyx posted:

Watching Road House made me wonder why is CGI so loving bad these days. The fight scenes look so terrible when they transition to CGI.

Disney ruined the VFX industry by constantly underbidding and running shops into the ground; now most of the industry is beginners who are churned and burned on tight deadlines.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The same thing happened to games, sweatshopping is without a doubt the major cause of substandard production because there's no institutional practices built up at all when every new shop is shuttered before the thing even comes out.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

And even when you do have a somewhat experienced/capable studio, they're still being squeezed by impossible deadlines/budgets. You may know full well that your result looks like poo poo and know exactly how it could be improved, but you still gotta do another couple dozen shots by the end of the week and there simply isn't the time to do more than the minimum for each.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Acinonyx posted:

I watched Idiocracy last night and the trash avalanche in that looked better than a lot of vfx today

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

retvrn to squibs and gooey practical effects

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
What are they spending the money on? Road House is reported to have cost 85 million. Surely there is a limit to how much cocaine Conner can do on set and they could spend some on CGI?!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's not a matter of money. It's an institutional problem now. The talent and time isn't there.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Why do they even bother? Does a Road House sequel really need a bunch of CGI? Particularly with a big time movie star in the lead.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
making GBS threads on Patrick Swayze's legacy by remaking his awesome bar fight movie but with terrible CGI for no particular reason is certainly something that makes sense for Hollywood.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

cgi allows for money to get funneled into a bunch of middle managers rather than any actual talent

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

CGI is non-union.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Disney ruined the VFX industry by constantly underbidding and running shops into the ground; now most of the industry is beginners who are churned and burned on tight deadlines.

It’s wild how this shows up in big budget productions. The CGI elements in the underwater scenes of Aquaman are distractingly awful, and they’re front and center for the whole movie!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I was watching Netflix's adaptation of 3 Body Problem. A very serious early scene takes place in a cold prison cell. The loving CGI STEAMING BREATH that was in in every single shot hosed the entire scene up! I loving get it show, it's cold!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah I was grateful that they didn't do that stuff in season 1 of The Terror.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's possible that I've been fooled before, but I really do think I've noticed and been taken out of a scene every single time I've seen fake breath.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Netflix seems to be chasing Disney with their productions so they do the CGI even more cheaply somehow. The Avatar show is unbelievably bad looking.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jolo posted:

Maybe they gave away just over 2000 copies for free.

CelticPredator posted:

It is not free

mystes posted:

Well it's not now

As it turns out, Amazon hosed up. They canceled the promotion and subsequently sent out e-mails saying, "Oops, that was a mistake," and retroactively canceled the purchases. This is, near as I can tell, fraud. Their customer service agent has written, "As a one time exception, you can purchase the movie then we will refund it once you are done watching it." This also is unacceptable -- I should not have to wait to watch the movie to get a refund. It also implies that perhaps it is a single viewing (i.e., a rental), which also would violate the contract of the advertised purchase. I am sure I will get nowhere with this, but I'm trying anyway!

Edit: With a lot of argument they agreed to refund my purchase immediately. They clear the chat window the moment they log out and don't allow you to get a log, but what worked was: "There are laws in place regarding disputes on prices posted in error. And the only acceptable outcome is that the purchase be fulfilled on the posted terms. I.e., I purchased a digital copy of a film. So it is acceptable to be to be immediately refunded after a repeat purchase. But it is not acceptable to refund me at some point in the future."

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 28, 2024

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

if it's fraud, the harm to you is basically the time and mouse clicks you spent buying it for 0 dollars. so idk what amazon should have to pay to make up for it, but I support the class action lawsuit

mystes
May 31, 2006

"Fraud" seems a bit extreme considering you didn't pay anything and their terms of use probably say they can do whatever they want. It seems like it was probably a mistake on their end so they don't want to eat the cost for a zillion people who added it to their library with no intention to actually watch it just because it was free but they're willing to refund you if you actually want it enough to buy it and watch it to the end which seems fairly reasonable?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Martman posted:

if it's fraud, the harm to you is basically the time and mouse clicks you spent buying it for 0 dollars. so idk what amazon should have to pay to make up for it, but I support the class action lawsuit
I'm sure they have a clause in the site TOS that allows them to retroactively cancel your access to something, since they do at times remove all online access to streaming content. But traditionally companies have to honor their incorrect price postings -- the harm is not zero dollars, it is "what I would have to pay to have what they agreed to give me," which in this case is just under sixteen dollars after taxes. Regardless, squeaky wheel got greased, I now have my copy of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm sure they have a clause in the site TOS that allows them to retroactively cancel your access to something, since they do at times remove all online access to streaming content. But traditionally companies have to honor their incorrect price postings -- the harm is not zero dollars, it is "what I would have to pay to have what they agreed to give me," which in this case is just under sixteen dollars after taxes. Regardless, squeaky wheel got greased, I now have my copy of the film.
generally companies are not obligated to honor pricing mistakes. when they do it's because they've decided it's worth not pissing off their customers

you literally were not harmed in that amount