Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

As it turns out, Amazon hosed up. They canceled the promotion and subsequently sent out e-mails saying, "Oops, that was a mistake," and retroactively canceled the purchases. This is, near as I can tell, fraud. Their customer service agent has written, "As a one time exception, you can purchase the movie then we will refund it once you are done watching it." This also is unacceptable -- I should not have to wait to watch the movie to get a refund. It also implies that perhaps it is a single viewing (i.e., a rental), which also would violate the contract of the advertised purchase. I am sure I will get nowhere with this, but I'm trying anyway!

Edit: With a lot of argument they agreed to refund my purchase immediately. They clear the chat window the moment they log out and don't allow you to get a log, but what worked was: "There are laws in place regarding disputes on prices posted in error. And the only acceptable outcome is that the purchase be fulfilled on the posted terms. I.e., I purchased a digital copy of a film. So it is acceptable to be to be immediately refunded after a repeat purchase. But it is not acceptable to refund me at some point in the future."

Fraud? lol

It’s exactly what they said it was, a mistake.

You’re not entitled to free poo poo any time someone doesn’t do their job perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

RCarr posted:

You’re not entitled to free poo poo any time someone doesn’t do their job perfectly.
Tell that to the average restaurant patron

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Good job browbeating a sub minimum wage worker into giving you a free movie rental

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I honestly don't think I've seen this since ... DVD? And definitely not on anything better than small television speakers. Holy crap. Not that "Kubrick is fantastic" is a controversial take or anything, just that it's amazing to see it like this after so many years.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Getting chills thinking about the kind of person that shrieks at a manager who won’t honor the banana price tag stuck on a TV

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm sure they have a clause in the site TOS that allows them to retroactively cancel your access to something, since they do at times remove all online access to streaming content. But traditionally companies have to honor their incorrect price postings -- the harm is not zero dollars, it is "what I would have to pay to have what they agreed to give me," which in this case is just under sixteen dollars after taxes. Regardless, squeaky wheel got greased, I now have my copy of the film.

lmfao

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I dunno who needs to hear it, but there's nothing wrong with getting free poo poo from Amazon, and if you hadn't talked to the support person, they would've gotten paid the same amount and they would've had to deal with some other rear end in a top hat customer during the same time period

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I agree there’s nothing wrong with getting free poo poo from Amazon.

I certainly do not agree with complaining here that you were a victim of fraud because there was a pricing error on the internet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mystes posted:

Tell that to the average restaurant patron

:hfive:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There’s a Hulu tab in Disney+ now for us Americans.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

RCarr posted:

I agree there’s nothing wrong with getting free poo poo from Amazon.

I certainly do not agree with complaining here that you were a victim of fraud because there was a pricing error on the internet.

LOL I openly admit it was a dumb argument and I deserve every bit of ridicule for it. It was borne of "I've been up too long nit to be stupid but I'm too caffeinated to sleep," but that's no excuse, don't post sleep-deprived.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Edward Mass posted:

There’s a Hulu tab in Disney+ now for us Americans.

Still no way to watch live TV as far as I can tell so useless.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Jolo posted:

Maybe they gave away just over 2000 copies for free.

This was me joking that they gave away 2001 copies of the movie 2001.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
We know

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Still no way to watch live TV as far as I can tell so useless.

I’m half convinced that Disney’s going to spin off the + Live TV off of Hulu before absorbing it into Disney+.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What I want is a Disney tab in Hulu. I tried the Hulu one and it seemed to barely work and nothing from my account carried over.

They really should just fully integrate them into one app idg why they don't just do that.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Well I am from Buenos Aires and I say kill me all*

*Amazon workers

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Thanks for posting about that. I was paying for both separately and just dropped my monthly cost by $10 by going to the bundle. I bet Disney is making a killing off people like me who didn't realize there was now an ad-free bundle and was paying $20 for Hulu and $15 for Disney.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Manhunt is just kinda boring right?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

It's a pretty decent stealth game that turns into a less fun shooting game by the end. I like how grimy everything feels and how it reminds me of The Warriors and Escape From NY. Brian Cox's performance as the director is pretty good. They recorded so many different lines for the enemies that are hunting you that you'll constantly be hearing new ones when you inevitably get caught and killed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jolo posted:

It's a pretty decent stealth game that turns into a less fun shooting game by the end. I like how grimy everything feels and how it reminds me of The Warriors and Escape From NY. Brian Cox's performance as the director is pretty good. They recorded so many different lines for the enemies that are hunting you that you'll constantly be hearing new ones when you inevitably get caught and killed.

<3

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Really bummed out interview with a vampire isn't streaming on a wider base, one episode in and I'm really digging the vibe.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kingtheninja posted:

Really bummed out interview with a vampire isn't streaming on a wider base, one episode in and I'm really digging the vibe.

I thought it was really good, well acted and looked great too. Just don't bother watching Mayfair Witches when you're done with it. A whole lot of nothing happens and it's boring as hell.

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s wild how this shows up in big budget productions. The CGI elements in the underwater scenes of Aquaman are distractingly awful, and they’re front and center for the whole movie!

man i was bored on a work trip so watched Aquaman 2 on my iPad and even on that small screen the CGI was just embarrassingly bad. the whole movie is bad but the CGI, holy cow

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I decided to watch Looper again, and man, I forgot how distractingly weird Joseph Gordon Levitt’s Bruce Willis impression is. I guess it didn’t bother me the first time I watched it.

I don’t know why they felt the need to use makeup to make him look more like Willis. Or they should have cast someone else, I feel like Casey Affleck sort of looks the part, and probably wouldn’t do a weird pseudo Elvis eyebrow thing the whole time like JGL.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Even though I liked it overall, JGL’s makeup was super distracting for me too when Looper came out. The prosthetics reminded me of Mickey Rourke in Sin City. Just really out of place in Looper aesthetically

Now I wonder if Looper was conceived as “JGL in heavy makeup doing a voice” and the time travel is secondary to that

I guess I need to rewatch it too

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll take a wonky practical over a glossy smooth cgi homunculus any day of the week

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

JGL felt like he had to go all out because from Willis' end his attempt to resemble JGL amounted to 'wear terrible wig in one shot'

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Speaking of time travel movies, I really need to rewatch Predestination. Recently binged through Succession and it took me 3 seasons to realize that's what I knew Sarah Snook from.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

frogbs posted:

I decided to watch Looper again, and man, I forgot how distractingly weird Joseph Gordon Levitt’s Bruce Willis impression is. I guess it didn’t bother me the first time I watched it.

I don’t know why they felt the need to use makeup to make him look more like Willis. Or they should have cast someone else, I feel like Casey Affleck sort of looks the part, and probably wouldn’t do a weird pseudo Elvis eyebrow thing the whole time like JGL.

No bullshit I watched Looper last night too!

I thought the make up was fine, it didn't look unnatural in the context of the movie. But I met jgl a few times when he was filming a movie near me so we're pretty much best friends so I might be biased.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Enos Cabell posted:

Speaking of time travel movies, I really need to rewatch Predestination. Recently binged through Succession and it took me 3 seasons to realize that's what I knew Sarah Snook from.

I hate this movie! Its the twist you've seen in every time travel movie (if you don't see a guy's face during a scene, he is a time traveler) taken to such an extreme that its ridiculous, only played so sincerely and filmed like a CBS drama that its difficult to wring any fun out of it at all

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think the makeup in Looper was a little off putting but the whole movie had that kind of French sci-fi weirdness vibe like in Fifth Element so I was fine with it

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The villains of Looper looking like Hasidic Jews always tickled me a little bit.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Famethrowa posted:

The villains of Looper looking like Hasidic Jews always tickled me a little bit.

It was Jeff Bridges and some random dudes

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man I enjoyed Looper but it could have been called Contradictions

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

all this Looper talk is making me think of 17 again, which was another baffling stunt casting decision from around that time.

Zac Efron going on the promotional circuit to talk about how he studied Matthew Perry's mannerisms for months so he more fully disappear into his role as Teen Chandler Bing

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jolo posted:

One of them whistles "fat guy in a little coat" from that Chris Farley movie, I swear it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mr Bates vs the Post Office is loving infuriating.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

One of them whistles "fat guy in a little coat" from that Chris Farley movie, I swear it

After playing it recently I learned that James Urbaniak voices one of the Innocentz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq9AyKnJrAo&t=1935s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Upsidads posted:

Man I enjoyed Looper but it could have been called Contradictions

It's one of the only movies I remember that almost explicitly begs you midway to not think too hard about whether or not it all makes sense

If don't have cable TV and / or don't watch entertainment news, you might also be like me and have no clue that Wonka is a musical. Well, it's a musical. I wasn't thrilled, but at least I didn't specifically pay for it.