Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Fallout does feel a little thin at times, but I do actually think it captures the feel of the games and not in a "HEY REMEMBER THIS?" way. The things from the game that show up seem like they're showing up for a reason that has something to do with the story rather than just getting supernerds excited. It's definitely written by people who love the games but also realized they needed to make an actual plot.

It's got some amusing jokes that aren't Marvel quip-style thrown in your face and has that random side quest feel. I enjoy it, and I don't think you have to enjoy the games. It looks as good as I could imagine Fallout on TV looking. Walton Goggins is perfect casting and he does great. It's not an amazing show, but an enjoyable one for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Famethrowa posted:

Netflix has done incalculable damage to both movies and TVs by inventing the formula of 480 minute "prestige-ish" TV shows that should have been a 90 minute movie. Such dogshit.

And then cancelling the show after one season

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

Netflix has done incalculable damage to both movies and TVs by inventing the formula of 480 minute "prestige-ish" TV shows that should have been a 90 minute movie. Such dogshit.

This goes for documentaries too. So much poo poo that could have been covered in an hour stretched into 4-10 hours. thanks true crime.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah that's basically why I've never watched any Netflix or streaming miniseries, fictional or nonfiction. Oh cool a true crime story they did a full season on that was already too much, and now there's a second season about the world reacting to the first season or whatever! I think I'll just take 15 min to read the article about this poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol I've done that so many times. I start up a doc thinking it's an hour long and then realize as it ends that it's part 1 of 8 or something then just hit wikipedia and skip the rest.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Greatest Hits was alright. I’d never heard of it until til last night, but I dig the eternal sunshine vibe 6.5/10

We should get someone to post the new streaming movies each week so we don’t miss anything.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah that's basically why I've never watched any Netflix or streaming miniseries, fictional or nonfiction. Oh cool a true crime story they did a full season on that was already too much, and now there's a second season about the world reacting to the first season or whatever! I think I'll just take 15 min to read the article about this poo poo.

I think the streaming dramas are just fine, or at least a mixed bag. But almost every true crime limited series I've seen has been at least 2 episodes too long. Repeated moody shots, pointless recreations, the narrator asking rhetorical questions, revelations that go nowhere ...

The exception being "This is a robbery" which is short and exactly the length it needs to be.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This feels like an extreme response to one specific true crime bugaboo. Beef was one of the best streaming projects of 2023 - Shogun will probably be the best of 2024, but Ripley is also drat good.

Like, read the Wikipedia page, but the miniseries boom is bringing some legitimately spectacular television in between the saggy overlong product.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

You could just not watch true crime stuff

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I don't.

But I am throwing a wide net there. I know there are some solid streaming TV series out there. Just can't be bothered.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Yea I've seen a lot of poo poo television so I'll be neither watching it nor posting about it in a thread specifically for streaming.

Telemarketers is 3 episodes and worth it imo.

The Jinx is 6 and very loving worth it for the ending, also season 2 (10 years later) this month.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 12, 2024

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Man, I wish I could experience watching the Jinx again for the first time. I went into it blind and that was a wild ride.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Best true crime doc ever. Amazing.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Fallout really lost steam around episode four then it was just lots of padding but up until then I was really enjoying it. Like the post apocalypse stuff with the goofy characters and tongue in cheek retro futurism is fun, it's Fallout, but when they started leaning on flashbacks it felt like it was trying to be "prestige tv" bullshit.

Really loved all the stuff with Vault 33 like I thought that was all going to be a throwaway after Lucy left but the Moises Arias got to step up and there was this Severance vibe it really stood out more than the surface storyline.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I powered through the first two episode and really wanted to like it, but like someone earlier mentioned, the pacing is just completely off. Anytime a scene starts to build some actual energy, it then drags out and loses it all again before moving on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing that really sucks is that HBO had a really good track record with docs in general. But now that they turned into Max, I have no idea which ones are HBO and I'll start watching one and 15 minutes in I'm like "this sucks" and then I look it up and it's actually a lifetime doc or whatever. They totally blurred the quality line and you can't tell which ones were greenlit by HBO and which ones are basic cable slop

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Wolfsheim posted:

Good bit in the Fallout TV show to have Michael Rapaport play a bloodthirsty member of a fascist cult

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that this was filmed before october 6th when he was still just a howard stern wack packer.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

One thing that really sucks is that HBO had a really good track record with docs in general. But now that they turned into Max, I have no idea which ones are HBO and I'll start watching one and 15 minutes in I'm like "this sucks" and then I look it up and it's actually a lifetime doc or whatever. They totally blurred the quality line and you can't tell which ones were greenlit by HBO and which ones are basic cable slop

Ugh yes. So bad now.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
American Vandal was a very tight and necessary 8 episodes.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

A MIRACLE posted:

im on episode 5, it is extremely fallout-y. walton goggins is pretty funny as usual. gonna finish it today probablyt

Is episode 5 still the streaming-mandated flashback episode where any plot momentum is completely halted?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i like the flashbacks

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
It’s like that with movies too, but at least xfinity labels them as lifetime movies on max when open up the cool sounding name I’d never heard of to see its poo poo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

yoohoo posted:

My wild take but McGregor is the only watchable part of the new Road House. He’s just so loving wild and out there. And the way he walks. I can’t explain it, he’s not good, but I am so utterly curious what he does next in every scene because I truly have no idea what is going to happen. I imagine he’s not acting and this is just who he is as a person.

That was kinda how I felt about Travolta on the OJ season of ACS. Bizarre and inhuman and electric, the most uncomfortable I've ever felt watching a mainstream actor in a mainstream role but I absolutely couldn't turn away.

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

The Jinx ... also season 2 (10 years later) this month.

wat

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There it is, you're caught

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
For better or worse, Fallout on Amazon is pretty much pure strain "Fallout vibes" (a lot of Fallout 3, even with the West Coast setting). I literally said "stealth check!" to the screen at one point.

I kinda don't know who is going to be down for this unless you're already invested or predisposed to the vibe. The plots and motivations are all paper thin in a way that would give you a nice bed for an interactive experience, but it's not a lot to sink your teeth into.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve never played a fall out game and 4 episodes in I was hooked. I downloaded fallout 4 last night and it’s been fun

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

The Modern Leper posted:

For better or worse, Fallout on Amazon is pretty much pure strain "Fallout vibes" (a lot of Fallout 3, even with the West Coast setting). I literally said "stealth check!" to the screen at one point.

I kinda don't know who is going to be down for this unless you're already invested or predisposed to the vibe. The plots and motivations are all paper thin in a way that would give you a nice bed for an interactive experience, but it's not a lot to sink your teeth into.

So it's extremely in line with the games is what you're saying

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Papercut posted:

So it's extremely in line with the games is what you're saying

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve never played a fall out game and 4 episodes in I was hooked. I downloaded fallout 4 last night and it’s been fun

This. If you like the show, you should just open Steam now.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I absolutely hated the games, but am enjoying this.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

toggle posted:

I absolutely hated the games, but am enjoying this.

even .. new vegas? 🥺

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Goddamn man. Wife put on Bloodline in the background and I just forgot how loving good that show is. Still one of the best OG prestige shows.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

BonoMan posted:

Goddamn man. Wife put on Bloodline in the background and I just forgot how loving good that show is. Still one of the best OG prestige shows.

Yeah, the first season was so drat good. Great cast. I felt S2 was a step down though.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever saw S3.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

isaboo posted:

Yeah, the first season was so drat good. Great cast. I felt S2 was a step down though.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever saw S3.

One of the all time bad show endings.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tainen posted:

One of the all time bad show endings.

You know it got cancelled right? That wasn't supposed to be the ending.

They had a 5 or 6 season arc planned. I remember one of the creators saying he was fine with where it got left after the cancellation but it's pretty clear that's not an actual ending.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 14, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I watched all of Bloodline, man that family had PROBLEMS

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Ripley was great. One of the best things Netflix has put out in a long while. Hopefully they cover some of the other more rarely adapted books if we get another season.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought exorcist believer couldn’t be as bad as people were making it out to be, but it really is absolutely loving terrible

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ayudo posted:

Ripley was great. One of the best things Netflix has put out in a long while.

It's because they didn't actually make it. Showtime made it for themselves, but because of drama over there they sat on it for two years and eventually sold it off to Netflix.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

put on American Rust. so far nobodies really trying to do the horrible accent which is a little disappointing after they really went for it in Mare of Easttown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I’m watching Deathstalker on Shudder and it appears to be a cut made for FAST services. Nothing’s missing as far as I can tell, it’s still very R rated, but every so often it will fade out in the middle of a scene then immediately fade back, like the commercial breaks are baked in.