Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Shogun is excellent, but on disney plus the subtitles are all gronked up, often only flashing up for a second. Anyone know what's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just discovered that Exosquad, the finest children's cartoon of the 1990's, is on Peacock.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just discovered that Exosquad, the finest children's cartoon of the 1990's, is on Peacock.

Hell yeah

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Was exosquad the mech show where they'd engage like "image enhance mode" and it would switch over to extremely crude computer animation?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m extremely disappointed that Peacock removed the Savage Dragon cartoon from streaming.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Was exosquad the mech show where they'd engage like "image enhance mode" and it would switch over to extremely crude computer animation?

I don't remember that, but it's possible.

Exosquad is the show that had incredibly detailed characters and told a nuanced story about racism and the trauma of war while still spending lots of screen time showing you all the cool mech suits and vehicles that could buy at your local toy store

If you think BTAS was a show that treated its young audience with respect and didn't pull any punches in its storytelling, Exosquad is that but turned up a few notches.

There was so much crap, absolute complete crap cartoons for children in the 80's and 90's. GI Joe was a ham and cheese lunchable, Exosquad was prosciutto wrapped around a slice of musky melon. While still being toyetic as hell! Of course it was an absolute failure.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 19, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I don't remember that, but it's possible.

Exosquad is the show that had incredibly detailed characters and told a nuanced story about racism and the trauma of war while still spending lots of screen time showing you all the cool mech suits and vehicles that could buy at your local toy store

If you think BTAS was a show that treated its young audience with respect and didn't pull any punches in its storytelling, Exosquad is that but turned up a few notches.

There was so much crap, absolute complete crap cartoons for children in the 80's and 90's. GI Joe was a ham and cheese lunchable, Exosquad was prosciutto wrapped around a slice of musky melon. While still being toyetic as hell! Of course it was an absolute failure.

Yeah it was a lot like the original Mobile Suit Gundam series. Lot of real poo poo going on in the story and with awesome characterizations etc and broad themes and oh they had to sell toys so also heres a new mech of the week to fight.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Exo squad had the dopest toys

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think that was the Battletech cartoon, which was largely not as good.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Exo squad had the dopest toys

The one guy who had his own little ship, with the pointy parts at the front, that was a quality toy. I wish I'd owned it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Beekeeper is now on MGM+.

Late Night With The Devil is now on AMC+/Shudder.

Rebel Moon Part 2 is now on Netflix.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Gonz posted:

Rebel Moon Part 2 is now on Netflix.

wait, what? Why am i aging so fast. make it stop.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gonz posted:

Late Night With The Devil is now on AMC+/Shudder.

Between this and Immaculate hitting VOD this is gonna be a fuckin great weekend for horror!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Stegosnaurlax posted:

wait, what? Why am i aging so fast. make it stop.

That's not aging, rebel moon part 1 is just so tedious it FELT like ten years had passed after you watched it

mystes
May 31, 2006

For some reason rebel moon part 1 feels to me like it should have come out during the beginning of the pandemic or something

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The canonical pre-AVATAR American anime are what, this and GARGOYLES?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

mystes posted:

For some reason rebel moon part 1 feels to me like it should have come out during the beginning of the pandemic or something

It only feels like a pandemic

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
it's certainly the kind of thing you would only subject yourself to if you've got absolutely nothing else to do and don't feel like yet another murder, she wrote watch through.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The canonical pre-AVATAR American anime are what, this and GARGOYLES?

Does Robotech count or is that a copout?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I never really watched GI Joe as a kid (though I dug the toys), but inspired by all the homages in Venture Bros. I watched a handful of episodes last year. I was shocked at how legit good it was. Sure the animation quality could get iffy at times, and the dialogue is total goofy kids show stuff, but the stories and pacing were surprisingly cinematic. It's James Bond superspy stuff cranked up way past 11, really inventive and deeply weird. I felt that it held up waaaay better than most of the animated shows from its era which are generally a huge chore to get through.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

veni veni veni posted:

Robotech is anime, even if it's been reassembled from the original Japanese production(s).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nevermind, misunderstood "American anime" and name-dropped Samurai Pizza Cats by mistake.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

It does, famously EXO-SQUAD was supposed to cross over with ROBOTECH at one point.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The toys at least did, I remember tripping out at seeing the zentraidi battle pod on shelves with the exo-squad branding.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ruddiger posted:

The toys at least did, I remember tripping out at seeing the zentraidi battle pod on shelves with the exo-squad branding.

yeah I had the shock trooper and the battlepod. I remember being really confused since they were never actually part of Exosquad but thought they were cool as hell regardless.

Looks like they just re-released the 80s toys with Exosquad branding.

https://www.exosquadarchive.com/robotech-toys

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I had the "exo squad" veritech fighter, it was so amazing to have in the 90s. I took some screws out of the engines because I was convinced it could transform and they toy company was just trying to prevent it from happening.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've paying for both Hulu and Disney+, am I being a sucker? Is everything that is on Hulu also on Disney+, or is it a curated list of things?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I've paying for both Hulu and Disney+, am I being a sucker? Is everything that is on Hulu also on Disney+, or is it a curated list of things?

I am not sure how it works outside of the US but you need an active Hulu sub to get that stuff on the Disney+ app.

Assuming you’re not getting Hulu or Disney+ at a discount, you might want to look into one of their bundles.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, in the US they allowed access to all Hulu content through the D+ app for convenience I guess (probably just to advertise the hulu content to people who only sub to D+), but you still need to have a Hulu sub to actually watch any of it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ah, thank you.

Also I still want to say that Exosquad is awesome. I'll stop after this post

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

You can combine the subscriptions in to a combo to save some money. We were paying $35/mo separately brought that down to $25 by combining through the Hulu website.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I think the Disney and Hulu no ads combo is $20/m, versus $13 each.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Watched Rebel Moon 2: Scargiver last night. Part 1 certainly wasn't a great film, but I didn't think it was as bad as many said - little subtlety, lots of bombast and spectacle, some decent action. It was a typical tent pole film - inoffensive, if you didn't expect much from it, it delivered.

Part 2, by contrast, is distinctly meh. Slo-mo followed by montages set to music followed by slo-mo then repeat, endless scenes of badasses being badass. It seems to entirely consist of climaxes, with any slow moments extracted from the narrative. And it threatens a part 3. If you imagined after part 1 where the story might go, it goes there.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

nonathlon posted:

Slo-mo followed by montages set to music followed by slo-mo then repeat, endless scenes of badasses being badass. It seems to entirely consist of climaxes, with any slow moments extracted from the narrative.

A Zack Snyder movie? Wow. I didn't know that, you're telling me now for the first time. He made amazing movies. What else can you say? He was an amazing director...I'm sad to hear that.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I have two episodes left of Fallout and I'm already sad there's not more, it's great

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

ozmunkeh posted:

A Zack Snyder movie? Wow. I didn't know that, you're telling me now for the first time. He made amazing movies. What else can you say? He was an amazing director...I'm sad to hear that.

What I'm saying is that even for a Zack Snyder film, Rebel Moon part 2 is incredibly Zack Snyder, like the most Zack Snyder that Zack Snyder has ever Zack Snyder'd.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

nonathlon posted:

Part 2, by contrast, is distinctly meh. Slo-mo followed by montages set to music followed by slo-mo then repeat, endless scenes of badasses being badass. It seems to entirely consist of climaxes, with any slow moments extracted from the narrative.
This part of your post really makes it sound like a movie put together by people who had an unlimited supply of cocaine. Not even joking or being cheeky. I've actually listened to people on cocaine jabber about various creative projects that they want to do and this sounds like that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

nonathlon posted:

incredibly Zack Snyder, like the most Zack Snyder that Zack Snyder has ever Zack Snyder'd.
this sounds like it should be fun but the experience of watching those movies does not seem very fun

still think it's pretty funny that he's going back to Suckerpunch. he really should just george lucas the gently caress out of everything he's done, over and over.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

nonathlon posted:

What I'm saying is that even for a Zack Snyder film, Rebel Moon part 2 is incredibly Zack Snyder, like the most Zack Snyder that Zack Snyder has ever Zack Snyder'd.

Stop making me want to sign up for Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

This part of your post really makes it sound like a movie put together by people who had an unlimited supply of cocaine. Not even joking or being cheeky. I've actually listened to people on cocaine jabber about various creative projects that they want to do and this sounds like that.

I've never watched Euphoria but I recall someone's description of it as a program that consisted entirely of high points and climaxes. Rebel Moon part 2 is like that. Maybe a third of the movie is slo-mo. Everyone has past trauma. The assassination of the (wise? benevolent?) total family borders on the hilarious. A scene is stolen from Julius Caesar ffs.

On other trash, I recently watched Roadhouse and enjoyed it. It's dumb, ridiculous and everyone within acts like a Looney Toons character - especially Connor MacGregor, who can barely be understood - but it acts like a B movie that knows it's a B movie: cackling villains, dumb henchmen, the reluctant silent hero.